Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even if Mia was unlikeable (TBF it was all obviously due to RE monster virus reasons though) the choice still boils down to "should I accomplish the end goal of the entire premise of this game" or "help out some random NPC that I just met".

I remember back when it came out a lot of goons were really proud of themselves for picking Zoe and I was just like :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
IIRC Mia is really evasive whenever you meet her, so I was pretty suspicious that she had some kind of involvement in the nonsense that was going down. Meanwhile, it was much easier to believe that Zoe was an innocent victim, especially as she's the only one who actively helps you for pretty much the entire game. :shrug: Still a dumb choice, though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think I'm about due for a RE7 replay soon myself. I haven't played it since it first came out, barely started my 2nd run and don't remember too much about it besides the Texas Chainsaw family parts so the gameplay should be fresh. Never did any of the DLC either.

Will be a good primer for RE2 remake

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Currently replaying RE5 couch co-op and it is even better than I remember. Truly the greatest drunk-gaming experience of our time.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I think I'm about due for a RE7 replay soon myself. I haven't played it since it first came out, barely started my 2nd run and don't remember too much about it besides the Texas Chainsaw family parts so the gameplay should be fresh. Never did any of the DLC either.

Will be a good primer for RE2 remake

Man play End of Zoe for sure, it's loving amazing. Especially the last 20-30 minutes :black101:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If the option is there for you I can not recommend playing it in VR enough.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Acebuckeye13 posted:

IIRC Mia is really evasive whenever you meet her, so I was pretty suspicious that she had some kind of involvement in the nonsense that was going down. Meanwhile, it was much easier to believe that Zoe was an innocent victim, especially as she's the only one who actively helps you for pretty much the entire game. :shrug: Still a dumb choice, though.

What also makes it kind of tonally weird is even with Mia being super suspicious, the script makes it fairly clear that Ethan knows something is going on. When the Umbrella troops show up at the end, he's almost like, familiar with them. I don't think it's ever expanded upon, but it either feels like he's got his own secrets or Mia's "babysitting job" wasn't as out of the ordinary as they try to pass it off.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dewgy posted:

What also makes it kind of tonally weird is even with Mia being super suspicious, the script makes it fairly clear that Ethan knows something is going on. When the Umbrella troops show up at the end, he's almost like, familiar with them. I don't think it's ever expanded upon, but it either feels like he's got his own secrets or Mia's "babysitting job" wasn't as out of the ordinary as they try to pass it off.

I thought it was more than Ethan is just absurdly laid back and nonplussed about everything. Whether or not that is intentional is unclear but I guess any sane person in that situation would just shoot themselves in the loving head the first chance they got

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Convex posted:

I thought it was more than Ethan is just absurdly laid back and nonplussed about everything. Whether or not that is intentional is unclear but I guess any sane person in that situation would just shoot themselves in the loving head the first chance they got

I love his reaction to getting his loving HAND CHAINSAWED OFF was just moderate annoyance and surprise, like he burnt his bagel or something. He has a bigger reaction to the centipedes when he's sneaking through the wall. (Probably accurate to be honest, now I think about it.)

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I don't think anyone ever called Mia out on being an Umbrella agent / deep cover spy or whatever the whole time, either.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Ethan kind of has a complete nonreaction to basically everything though :v:

Plus, at that point Umbrella was publicly relaunched as a anti-BOW organization so seeing them show up, in-universe, would just be a "oh wow this got serious" thing as opposed to "???".

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Finally played through RE7 this weekend. Picked it up just short of a month ago and had been putting it off after finally playing the PC port of REmake in October (despite owning and never playing it on GC).

Played it on normal and just hated it out of the gate for the first 3-ish hours. Then as I got used to the combat and crafting ammo I started to really enjoy it to the point that I played through it a second time on easy to get the sub 4-hour achievement (at 3h53m, so got lucky really). After beating it on easy I loaded up a save right before the fork and was blessed with the easy set of NG+ items, so I'll probably go back to that save in a day or two and see the 2nd ending before trying the DLC next weekend.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Will we ever see Ethan again or will he be joining Billy, Carlos and Sheva in the never seen again crew?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

Will we ever see Ethan again or will he be joining Billy, Carlos and Sheva in the never seen again crew?

You're more likely to see Mia again in Resident Evil 8 or 9 than you are Ethan to be perfectly honest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I picked Zoe immediately because the only thing I wanted to give Mia was divorce papers

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I picked Mia because I wanted to see if they'd have a marital spat over her lying about her job.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Barudak posted:

I picked Zoe immediately because the only thing I wanted to give Mia was divorce papers

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well that took about 80 minutes to do the Zoe path. I was expecting more differences, but for only a few minutes of changes I'm glad I was able to clumsily dash through with the circular saw.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Perfect av/post combo.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Holy poo poo RE7 madhouse difficulty is like 10 steps above normal. After 30 minutes of Mia beating my rear end in the tutorial I finally landed a casual and methodical 18 (I'm pretty sure) headshots to finally get into the main game. Then 3 snapped necks and a few shovel fulls of my internal organs scattered on the walls later I finally reached the second save point.

Now I have my circular saw, x-ray specs and Albert. But this is going to be a very casually paced endeavor spread out over the week while I rampantly die wishing block/guard featured some sort of crazy counterattack from a beat 'em up.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Funny you should mention that because Not a Hero DLC has a counter attack after a perfect block.

Do note that perfect blocking is a thing in the main game as well. It reduces the dmg you take (and I believe it makes enemies back off a little). Also try blocking with big weapons, they have better dmg reduction.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Acebuckeye13 posted:

your first interaction with her ends up with her kicking you through a wall and eventually chopping your hand off so uhhhh yeah shes a bit sketchy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want a game with first person arm blocking and kungfu and a dash of horror that is also from 2003 and not great to play nowadays but mindblowing when it came out, you can buy Breakdown.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

Funny you should mention that because Not a Hero DLC has a counter attack after a perfect block.

Do note that perfect blocking is a thing in the main game as well. It reduces the dmg you take (and I believe it makes enemies back off a little). Also try blocking with big weapons, they have better dmg reduction.

I forgot about blocking for about 99% of my time playing RE7, which probably made a few moments more difficult than they should have been. Visually it just looked so loving dumb to have Ethan wave his arms around, and by association it's completely loving unintuitive to think that it actually works. Of course playing a lot of Alien: Isolation beforehand wasn't exactly going to do me any favours either but come on.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

For anybody that has an Xbox One, Breakdown was made backwards compatible not to long ago funnily enough! Certainly not the most amazing thing to play nowadays but i still think it's a great little game. Machine gun backfisting a dude (almost like the rapid punches Joe does in End of Zoe) and blocking bullets with your bare hands will never get old :allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you get it in the BoneX its in 4k, which uh, doesnt do the game a ton of favors.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I forgot about blocking for about 99% of my time playing RE7, which probably made a few moments more difficult than they should have been. Visually it just looked so loving dumb to have Ethan wave his arms around, and by association it's completely loving unintuitive to think that it actually works. Of course playing a lot of Alien: Isolation beforehand wasn't exactly going to do me any favours either but come on.

i think this is a case of it just being not super well communicated with it being visually underwhelming but even without the defense coin blocking reduces damage by SO MUCH

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Yeah, word. Block loving everything. Block claws, block explosions, block flames, block huge impacts, block bombs, block axes, block a loving chainsaw. Block literally everything regardless of how nonsensical it is to be able to do so, it almost always work because there are very few things that cannot be blocked.

when you play RE7

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

All I can see is Ethan with a Neo-like face and stance as he kung fu parries leaping dogs, tyrant slashes, nemesis rockets, salvadors, falling buildings, wesker dashes, all of it gently redirected and sent away as his eyes dilate and all the other RE veterans watch from the sidelines in slow motion with increasing screams of disbelief and exultation at the discovery of this by the messiah whose health bar barely dips into Caution

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ethan looked it his bloody stump, where his left arm used to be. Neo Wesker X had sliced it off cleanly with its mutated tentacles.

"gently caress!" He exclaimed as Neo Wesker X dashed at him.

Instinctively, Ethan put up his hands. Neo Wesker X's palm strike had no effect. It's as if this natural defense mechanism could stop any incoming attack.

"All they ever gave me was this loving pocket knife" said Ethan.

It was his turn. He started sprinting at Neo Wesker X in a way that could only be described as glacial.

Neo Wesker X looked at approaching Ethan for a moment that seemed like an eternity. It could've evaded Ethan's wild swing easily, but in the last moment the thought occured:

If this is the best humanity has to offer, how does one separate the wheat from the chaff?

The battle was lost before it had begun.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 19, 2018

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
RE8 spoiler:
https://i.imgur.com/t7OkA0P.gif

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I remember the previews for 7 mentioned losing body parts being a more predominate part of the game at point. Maybe they had plans to have the first aid items actually grow back your hands if you blocked to much/tried to block things you probably shoulden't.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
well jack can cut your leg off at any time up to his basement battle and first aid bottle does rejoin it, wonder if that was hinting at being infected or ethan has poo poo from his umbrella days (ethan w is mentioned in a file in re5 but hes meant to be dead) maybe ethan is passive about losing his limbs because he has had regen powers for awhile

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Does that mean this is supposed to be the same Ethan forced into the story with a mallet?

Madhouse recap:
After tutorial-Mia and the first Jack fight pushed my poo poo in I thought Madhouse was going to take 100+ deaths and rage quits (only 1 rage quit).

Instead the circular saw and Albert plowed me through the first 2/3rds of the game so effectively I didn't stop and the only real hitches were the bulletsponge fatties. Of which I got mad over and used the magnum on.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vikar Jerome posted:

well jack can cut your leg off at any time up to his basement battle and first aid bottle does rejoin it, wonder if that was hinting at being infected or ethan has poo poo from his umbrella days (ethan w is mentioned in a file in re5 but hes meant to be dead) maybe ethan is passive about losing his limbs because he has had regen powers for awhile

its kind of crazy to me how brutal/cool that scene with jack cutting your leg off with the shovel is and not only are you not guaranteed to see it i would imagine most players will never know it exists. iirc the only way it happens is if he catches you from behind while you're trying to go into the trap door.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

rabidsquid posted:

its kind of crazy to me how brutal/cool that scene with jack cutting your leg off with the shovel is and not only are you not guaranteed to see it i would imagine most players will never know it exists. iirc the only way it happens is if he catches you from behind while you're trying to go into the trap door.

i've had it happen during the basement chainsaw fight when i did the speedrun unlocks. blew me away.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

starting to look alot like christmas

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1075682287566643200?s=19

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sweet jesus how amazing would that be. I'll be lucky at this point I think to get my new rig built by launch but if I could get in a bit of time on gfs xbox over christmas that would be great.

Uhh...what to make of this?
https://twitter.com/BC_CAPCOM/status/1075677233358856192

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resident Evil battle royale time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Looks like it might be a RE2 event for some mobile game Capcom has in Japan?