Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

raton posted:

I can't love any electronic music, without the moment to moment manipulation of the vocals / instruments the life in the music dies

This may be just a "me" problem but I don't play an instrument or anything and I thought back in like 2000 that electronic music was going to be a great human frontier -- but everything in it is stillborn just before the line where it becomes actual art

Scorching Hot Take is my favorite band too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grape posted:

Scorching Hot Take is my favorite band too.

Your favorite band is a list about 35 long that isn't actually your favorite band but it is bands you sorta like, sucka

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

BigFactory posted:

The only good Pink Floyd record is the first one and even that isn’t great.

lol, jesus christ.

Here have some more takes as hot as the loving sun

quote:

Fleetwood Mac is a trash fire. Nobody even really likes this crap, they just think they remember liking it. Revisit those “classic” Fleetwood Mac albums for lessons in trash songwriting, hilariously bad singing and probably the worst production ever heard in a #1 album.

Is it any wonder a band full of terrible people made terrible music? Lindsey Buckingham apparently never recovered from being named “Lindsey” cuz this beta dude is the definition of fragile masculinity. The perfect creative force for a band full of drug-addled narcissists who can’t stop screwing each other and screwing each other over.

quote:

The band that committed every crime in the Rock & Roll Rule Book…

If there’s been a worse influence on rock vocalists than Robert Plant, please remember that Janis Joplin is too annoying to even think about, let alone bring into this conversation. Someone should really go back and look at how much the transmission rate of STDs in middle schools rose every year that Jimmy Page toured the United States. John Bonham is a legend among people who get excited about things like hitting stuff real hard. And you’ll just have to listen to the episode to hear what we have to say about John Paul Jones a.k.a. The Other Guy in This Band.

Rightly panned by critics at nearly every point of their career, loathed by their peers, perpetrators of the actual worst radio ballad of all time – Led Zeppelin Sucks!

quote:

Listen up, Danfans. You’ve been wrong and you always will be wrong until the moment you admit that liking Steely Dan is the audio equivalent of enjoying the smell of your own farts.

Steely Dan sucks.

Nothing about this is as interesting as you think it is. You might as well track down the studio musicians who make all the Goldman Sachs elevator muzak and pretend like they’re the greatest thing ever because that is literally all this is.

By the way, never let yourself be alone in a room with someone whose favorite band is Steely Dan. Trust us.

I more or less agree with all of these tho, lol. so feel free to savage me.

Also, a long way back some said Jethro Tull - Aqualung. Cool, a song that can't ever make up it's mind which time signature, key, or even loving genre of music it's supposed to be in, with lyrics about a creepy homeless dude on a park bench jerking off to kids. Great poo poo man.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Julius CSAR posted:

lol, jesus christ.

Here have some more takes as hot as the loving sun

I more or less agree with all of these tho, lol. so feel free to savage me.

Also, a long way back some said Jethro Tull - Aqualung. Cool, a song that can't ever make up it's mind which time signature, key, or even loving genre of music it's supposed to be in, with lyrics about a creepy homeless dude on a park bench jerking off to kids. Great poo poo man.

Peter Gabriel made a song about a dude who breaks into women's houses and smells their underwear as they sleep. Lol if you can't take music that is deliberately trying to portray weirdos.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Park bench pederast is a respected literary tradition afaict

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

JebanyPedal posted:

Peter Gabriel made a song about a dude who breaks into women's houses and smells their underwear as they sleep.

wait, what? lol how did I not know this?

raton posted:

Park bench pederast is a respected literary tradition afaict

:chloe:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

raton posted:

Your favorite band is a list about 35 long that isn't actually your favorite band but it is bands you sorta like, sucka

I am also embarrassed by my riches.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If the pederast can't be found on the park bench in 2018 I don't know where we're going to put him

Other than Reddit

I mean like a physical place

That has access to reddit

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

raton posted:

Fun fact I originally had a fourth album slot written up for dsotm but I scanned through the songs on it in the mp3 folder and Money, especially the first two minutes of it, is real weak

Dude the bass line, the lyrics, the whole structure of the song...Money is such a loving iconic song. You need to give someone your music opinions card.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Med School posted:

Dude the bass line, the lyrics, the whole structure of the song...Money is such a loving iconic song. You need to give someone your music opinions card.

I don't like that baseline it's dopey

It's probably dopey on purpose because Waters wants us to know money is dopey

But it makes the whole song dopey

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Jerking off real hard to some imagined innate superiority of technology-low guitar music is the most deeply concerning brain disease in white male Americans, right up there with obesity and butt cancer.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grape posted:

Jerking off real hard to some imagined innate superiority of technology-low guitar music is the most deeply concerning brain disease in white male Americans, right up there with obesity and butt cancer.

I think this opinion is hstrionic but at least it's genuine and not expressed in the form of internet cliches so I will respond to it politely by saying that when you're doing music moment to moment musicality does actually matter.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

FactsAreUseless posted:

No. I love Modest Mouse but you could cut four songs right from the middle of LCW and lose nothing.

i don't know what the gently caress this is

it's sort of like praising the beatles to expound on modest mouse now but they have 3 albums i would call "perfect" or near-perfect

Brolander fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 17, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

raton posted:

I think this opinion is hstrionic but at least it's genuine and not expressed in the form of internet cliches so I will respond to it politely by saying that when you're doing music moment to moment musicality does actually matter.

There is a million ways music can work, lol if you think your preferred niche is "the way".
It's like all those weird little Protestant groups insisting the ONLY way into heaven is handling snakes with preacher john down off route 86.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

GEEKABALL posted:

Sturgil Simpson Metamodern Sounds

Good pick.

His first album is great too but maybe less cohesive. More a loose collection of tracks. It's very much a call back to old school country though so it fits in that respect.

Third album is also good but really takes a poo poo around the middle section. I have no idea WTF he was thinking with that cover of In Bloom.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

raton posted:

If the pederast can't be found on the park bench in 2018 I don't know where we're going to put him

Other than Reddit

I mean like a physical place

That has access to reddit

huh?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grape posted:

There is a million ways music can work, lol if you think your preferred niche is "the way".
It's like all those weird little Protestant groups insisting the ONLY way into heaven is handling snakes with preacher john down off route 86.

There are also a million ways music can not work, and the issue of just because something may be possible doesn't mean it's therefore been done in that way. I've listened to thousands of hours of all kinds of electronic music. I never play any of it any more.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 17, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Talking Book is the best record.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

raton posted:

There are also a million ways music can not work, and the issue of just because something may be possible doesn't mean it's therefore been done in that way. I've listened to thousands of hours of all kinds of electronic music. I never play any of it any more.

You know what rock music needs? Indie Rock Jesus looking motherfuckers who play the flute.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Julius CSAR posted:

You know what rock music needs? Indie Rock Jesus looking motherfuckers who play the flute.

SITTING ON THE PARK BENCH toot toot toot

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

raton posted:

Have you heard it mixed properly by a skilled DJ or do you just listen to individual tunes or whatever.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dubplate Fire posted:

Have you heard it mixed properly by a skilled DJ or do you just listen to individual tunes or whatever.

I listen to the mp3s that I downloaded and in 2002 I gave some guy 20 bucks so I could stand there and listen to it in a venue

This is what I do for the other kinds of music btw

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

I liked the Daft Punk record where they used all the live instruments. Random Access Memory I think? The one where Nathan East plays a lot of the bass and they have the Get Lucky song. That was an electronic album I feel I could come back to year after year and listen to.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Med School posted:

I liked the Daft Punk record where they used all the live instruments. Random Access Memory I think? The one where Nathan East plays a lot of the bass and they have the Get Lucky song. That was an electronic album I feel I could come back to year after year and listen to.

I don't know if I heard that one, I have some of the older ones where they revolutionized the idea of "let's do in 52 bars what other similar musicians do in 6" but they were okay and the music video to around the world was on Beavis and Butthead

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

raton posted:

I listen to the mp3s that I downloaded and in 2002 I gave some guy 20 bucks so I could stand there and listen to it in a venue

This is what I do for the other kinds of music btw

Yeah, I'm not gonna argue with you, because I think most electronic music is poo poo. You kinda have to either listen to mixes, or mix yourself to get any real enjoyment out of it.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

mycophobia posted:

i want to disagree with Ram but im having trouble finding a reason.

e: like Smile Away is corny as hell but its still great

"Long Haired Lady" is the problem for me. An amazing piece of songwriting, and yet somehow nearly intolerable.

BigFactory posted:

The only good Pink Floyd record is the first one and even that isn’t great.

Piper is my favorite Floyd record as well, so I get where you're coming from with this, but it's worth noting that 1) side B really doesn't hold a candle to side A and 2) Dark Side of the Moon really is as good as everyone says. Still, as for the rest of their catalog, I can take it or leave it.

Here are some records that I like all the way through:
  • R.E.M. - Murmur
  • The Replacements - Let It Be
  • Sonic Youth - Sister and Daydream Nation
  • Fugazi - The Argument
  • The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
  • Brainiac - Hissing Prigs in Static Couture
  • Beck - One Foot in the Grave
  • Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
  • Royal Trux - Accelerator
  • Stereolab - Dots and Loops
  • Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
  • Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
  • Jon Hopkins - Immunity
  • The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
  • Shellac - At Action Park
  • Dirty Projectors - Rise Above
  • Caribou - Swim
  • Women - Public Strain
  • The Stooges - Fun House
  • Mulatu Astatke - Ethio Jazz
  • Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
  • My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
  • Blur - 13
  • Chico Buarque - Construção
  • Thinking Fellers Union Local #282 - Strangers from the Universe
  • Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand
  • The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico
  • Massive Attack - Mezzanine
  • The Ramones - The Ramones
  • Jorge Ben - A Tábua de Esmeralda
  • Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
  • Elliott Smith - Either/Or
  • Andrew Bird - & the Mysterious Production of Eggs
  • Scott Walker - Scott 4
  • Cluster - Zuckerzeit
  • Talking Heads - Fear of Music
  • Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

Also agree that the Deftones' White Pony is way better than one would have any right to expect.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

disintegration by the cure

I wouldn’t say this is perfect but I like a lot the songs a lot. There’s so much depth. I used to listen to this really loud like Robert Smith recommended.

The lyrics of The Same Deep Water as You really described my life for a while. That song followed up by Disintegration itself is such a great sequence.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

treasureplane posted:

"Long Haired Lady" is the problem for me. An amazing piece of songwriting, and yet somehow nearly intolerable.

you have made a powerful enemy today.

quote:

I skip that instrumental thingy every time. also Through With Buzz isn't that great. phenomenal record otherwise though

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

treasureplane posted:

Piper is my favorite Floyd record as well, so I get where you're coming from with this, but it's worth noting that 1) side B really doesn't hold a candle to side A and 2) Dark Side of the Moon really is as good as everyone says. Still, as for the rest of their catalog, I can take it or leave it.

• R.E.M. - Murmur
  • The Replacements - Let It Be
  • Sonic Youth - Sister and Daydream Nation
  • Fugazi - The Argument
  • The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
  • Brainiac - Hissing Prigs in Static Couture
  • Beck - One Foot in the Grave
  • Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
  • Royal Trux - Accelerator
  • Stereolab - Dots and Loops
  • Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
  • Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
  • Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
  • Jon Hopkins - Immunity
  • The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
  • Shellac - At Action Park
  • Dirty Projectors - Rise Above
  • Caribou - Swim
  • Women - Public Strain
  • The Stooges - Fun House
  • Mulatu Astatke - Ethio Jazz
  • Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda
  • My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
  • Blur - 13
  • Chico Buarque - Construção
  • Thinking Fellers Union Local #282 - Strangers from the Universe
  • Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand
  • The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico
  • Massive Attack - Mezzanine
  • The Ramones - The Ramones
  • Jorge Ben - A Tábua de Esmeralda
  • Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
  • Elliott Smith - Either/Or
  • Andrew Bird - & the Mysterious Production of Eggs
  • Scott Walker - Scott 4
  • Cluster - Zuckerzeit
  • Talking Heads - Fear of Music

Also agree that the Deftones' White Pony is way better than one would have any right to expect.

all of this pretty loving great, but I gotta have a hard pass on the Deftones. I'll just never be able to reconcile that loud rear end band with a singer who is somehow so boring as to put you to sleep.

Which is weird because I typically love Shoegaze, but to me Deftones have always been much more in the sludge metal category, and I've never liked sludge tbh

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 17, 2018

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Deftones aren't sludge metal lol.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Here’s an out of left field one but I can listen to City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love all the way through, though I wouldn’t call it a perfect album

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

quote:

I have spent a lot of time pondering what makes this band any different from the rest of their late-90s nu-metal peers, and all I can think of is that they have a slightly different take on that stupid nu-metal thing where they go from rly loud 2 rly quiet and the singer whispers/mumbles a bunch of stuff. The other nu-metal bands are all like ‘dont mess with me im KRAZY and if u dont back off i might SNAP!!!!’ but DEFTONES are all like ‘here are a bunch cryptic words for u 2 ponder, look at what a tortured artistic genius i am.’ So yeah i guess they are “”thinking man’s nu-metal”” but idk they just kinda sound like POD to me, only without the catchy choruses.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
whoever that rear end in a top hat is that poo poo on led zeppelin needs a loving swirly

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

let it mellow posted:

whoever that rear end in a top hat is that poo poo on led zeppelin needs a loving swirly

It was me. Like, I enjoy listening to Led Zeppelin, but they are straight up music thieves and they're also exceedingly terrible people. Like, they're exceedingly bad people even when compared to other bands full of lovely people from the same era.

Sorry I had to be the one to tell you. If you really want to listen to Led Zeppelin's music I would just go find some Howlin' Wolf.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
You sound very smart

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

mycophobia posted:

You sound very smart

I'm not

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

let it mellow posted:

Led Zeppelin sucks rear end

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

The lemon song

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

raton posted:

Say I'm gambling here, do I put money down on "guy is a huge country bumpkin" or "guy is one of those sad people who teaches bass guitar to nine year olds as a day job and knows a thing or two about music!".
I'm also still lolling at your assertion that in 2000 you were excited for electronics as the future, some 20 years after the genre started becoming a major thing.

Also there is an unspoken hatred for hip-hop in this that you are being sheepish about putting out there. For further lolling purposes though I must point it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Med School posted:

I wouldn’t say this is perfect but I like a lot the songs a lot. There’s so much depth. I used to listen to this really loud like Robert Smith recommended.

The lyrics of The Same Deep Water as You really described my life for a while. That song followed up by Disintegration itself is such a great sequence.

I like taking music out for long night walks, I had the perfect Disintegration experience with a slightly snowy night. poo poo was amazing.