Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nine gear crow posted:

With regard to DSP, we had a thread in LP dedicated to talking about Outside SA Let’s Plays and over time it devolved into the Great Catalogue of Every Second of DarkSydePhil’s Life, with certain goons doing nothing but trawling Phil’s personal Facebook and Instragram posts and losing their poo poo because, OH MY GOD HE BOUGHT A DIAMOND RING FOR HIS GIRLFRIEND THAT GRIFTING SCUMCOCK I HATE HIM. Or just linking outright to dedicated DSP stalker Twitter accounts or forums until we finally shut that poo poo down. And a lot of it was just one dude leading the rest of the thread down the rabbit hole, and funnily enough, when we threw the flaming sword down, duder’s once-prolific posts in that thread evaporated instantly.

So I’ve seen first hand how quick and easy people can morph into being infinitely worse than the people the think they’re making fun of by obsessively cataloging their lives online. It’s really groady and no doubt smells like BO

Yeah I don't really get that. I mean, I think that several TIHYDP's are hilarious and it's fun to watch Phil's abject saltiness or how much he just doesn't get the simplest things. He's a great figure of fun...but I don't get taking it so bloody seriously and stalking all around his personal life going beyond even the crap he puts out there. Like, he isn't Satan, he's just an obnoxious dickhead.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

On a somewhat related note, someone successfully doxxing Jim/metouker would be a pretty ok blow against the neet-to-nazi internet pipeline. For as absolutely marginal as he is within the larger extremist ecosystem, he plays a sargon-like role in transitioning cruel kids from trolls and harassers into fascists. Part of it is that he flies farther below the radar, but he’s never really lost a horde of trolls ready to hound people for years.

As big a lid as he keeps on his identity I really doubt he'd quit the game if he got doxxed.

EDIT: That and, well, it'd probably have happened by now. There's no end of chuds and people he's pissed off who'd prize that dox, purely for the lulz if nothing else, and yet no one's got it.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

Yeah I don't really get that. I mean, I think that several TIHYDP's are hilarious and it's fun to watch Phil's abject saltiness or how much he just doesn't get the simplest things. He's a great figure of fun...but I don't get taking it so bloody seriously and stalking all around his personal life going beyond even the crap he puts out there. Like, he isn't Satan, he's just an obnoxious dickhead.

I don't know, have you ever seen satan and dsp in the same room together?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Andrast posted:

I don't know, have you ever seen satan and dsp in the same room together?

Does this count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3euGbJoFo8

(still one of the funniest things ever)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh poo poo metokur was internetaristocrat? chapo made fun of him when they were talking about sargon and youtube morons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-g6vhiX1I

he comes up at 2:18.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

While I know of Phil because at this stage it's hard to not know of him, mostly what I take away from his DTRB is he's just kind of this dumb, sad person who deep down knows he's only barely marketable and while at the same time keeps falling backwards into people who will inexplicably pay for what he's selling still manages to screw it up on account of being Phil.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

Kim Justice posted:

Does this count?

Thank you so much for this.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I didn't really know Metokur but several different people told me I had to watch his video about GDQ in the comments for mine. So I did but it was kind of more just 5 minutes of making fun of trans women. They were probably trying to piss me off but I've already made videos about Chris Chan calling her Christine so it's not exactly the first time. These people don't like to be told what to call someone but they sure like to tell everyone else what to call someone.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DoctorWhat posted:

Linkara seems to have moved pretty far to the left from his earlier politics.
Yeah he had a lovely Randian webcomic before he got big with AT4W; it is funny how I was pretty libertarian when I started watching him and I started getting off that bullshit around the same time he did and stopped putting Penn & Teller Bullshit references in his videos (I think he did a comic that was about recycling where he cited an episode)

People like to joke how he is seen as a prominent feminist in circles like TVtropes, but honestly he's one of the first sources I got feminism from online.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DoctorWhat posted:

Linkara seems to have moved pretty far to the left from his earlier politics.

That's actually really good to hear, because that was my main beef with him back when I watched Channel Awesome stuff was his politics (and over-reliance on stupid plotlines in his reviews).

How's he doing after CA imploded?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

That's actually really good to hear, because that was my main beef with him back when I watched Channel Awesome stuff was his politics (and over-reliance on stupid plotlines in his reviews).

I don't watch his videos anymore, but I still follow him on Twitter and he seems to be doing fine, beyond getting his Power Ranger videos blocked constantly.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Kim Justice posted:

Does this count?

It's times like this I have to wonder if he's for real or a super elaborate act. He's Wile E. Coyote.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flubby posted:

It's times like this I have to wonder if he's for real or a super elaborate act. He's Wile E. Coyote.

He once did a 20 minute unboxing video on the collectors edition of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII... and never opened the box. If he's not some kind of hypermoron then he is the Andy Kaufman of the Internet Era and the joke is flying so far over all our heads it's in orbit around Jupiter now.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

nine-gear crow posted:

He once did a 20 minute unboxing video on the collectors edition of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII... and never opened the box. If he's not some kind of hypermoron then he is the Andy Kaufman of the Internet Era and the joke is flying so far over all our heads it's in orbit around Jupiter now.

Initially I thought DSP was the latter, but you don't do things like leasing out a new BMW with some useless extended warranty and then never change the oil as a joke.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

What's the deal? Was Habermann friends with Metokur or something? Did they have a falling out? Did it have something to do with him leaving SA and dissolving the Dinner Dates?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

habberman used to be like metokur but then he went on tumblr and did a complete 180 with his beliefs. he posted on a BAN ME thread saying that SA was to problamtic/bad and he wanted off.

I remember this for some reason. Habermann ejected himself from SA at the peak of New GBS being a shitpile of transphobic garbage among other things, IIRC. I think it was actually in a dedicated ban me thread Lowtax started during that period. And as part of his big "here's why I'm deleting everything and loving off" blog post, he made allusions to a member of the group being a lovely dude that he regretted not excising or otherwise calling out for being lovely...so I guess that mystery character was in fact Metokur.

nine-gear crow posted:

With regard to DSP, we had a thread in LP dedicated to talking about Outside SA Let’s Plays and over time it devolved into the Great Catalogue of Every Second of DarkSydePhil’s Life, with certain goons doing nothing but trawling Phil’s personal Facebook and Instragram posts and losing their poo poo because, OH MY GOD HE BOUGHT A DIAMOND RING FOR HIS GIRLFRIEND THAT GRIFTING SCUMCOCK I HATE HIM. Or just linking outright to dedicated DSP stalker Twitter accounts or forums until we finally shut that poo poo down. And a lot of it was just one dude leading the rest of the thread down the rabbit hole, and funnily enough, when we threw the flaming sword down, duder’s once-prolific posts in that thread evaporated instantly.

So I’ve seen first hand how quick and easy people can morph into being infinitely worse than the people the think they’re making fun of by obsessively cataloging their lives online. It’s really groady and no doubt smells like BO :zombie:

What always sticks out in my mind about those derails was the constant complaining about how Phil should sell his condo already. It came up every goddamn time he was in yet another financial meltdown (ie, always). If you're seriously that well versed, not to mention emotionally invested, in some internet nobody's financials...you've gone over the line.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 17, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

What always sticks out in my mind about those derails was the constant complaining about how Phil should sell his condo already. It came up every goddamn time he was in yet another financial meltdown (ie, always). If you're seriously that well versed, not to mention emotionally invested, in some internet nobody's financials...you've gone over the line.

Don't think its much of a meltdown to tell a guy who beats the drum of "I'm broke" to "stop paying on a condo you don't live in and have no intent to rent out".

Like I don't get this "Internet detective!" thing going on. Phil is VERY transparent with his life. Like hilariously so.

E: Like it isn't "oh hey phil farted on webcam I gotta post about this" like a certain poster wants to make it out to be. Phil would make vlogs talking about how wronged he is by the system and to just please give him a few more bucks on patreon, send cheers on twitch, shop the etsy shop and buy a tshirt from his tspring. Phil himself would set these off when Phil himself made a video on it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Leal posted:

Don't think its much of a meltdown to tell a guy who beats the drum of "I'm broke" to "stop paying on a condo you don't live in and have no intent to rent out".

Like I don't get this "Internet detective!" thing going on. Phil is VERY transparent with his life. Like hilariously so.

E: Like it isn't "oh hey phil farted on webcam I gotta post about this" like a certain poster wants to make it out to be. Phil would make vlogs talking about how wronged he is by the system and to just please give him a few more bucks on patreon, send cheers on twitch, shop the etsy shop and buy a tshirt from his tspring. Phil himself would set these off when Phil himself made a video on it.

There was an old saying about people you laugh at I think may have originated on this forum that goes "don't touch the poop" that I think is generally a smart idea that prevents mockery from morphing into some weird parasocial relationship where nobody comes out looking good and everyone's covered in poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So this thread then?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Neo_Crimson posted:

He seems to be doing fine. His Patreon and ad revenue seem to be keeping him afloat. He got married to another internet reviewer (Viga, who reviews anime). His content is still pretty much the same as it was when he was on CA, including the storylines (though he usually puts that stuff after the end credits since there's a vocal segment of his fanbase that doesn't like them).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

Phil's the one constantly having meltdowns.

But it was literally the exact same cycle of posts over and over. A totally pointless circlejerk.

At least when people point and laugh at the latest E/N horror story there's ostensibly a chance the OP will listen to their advice.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It's more cause, y'know, there's obvious answers. He's too lazy to sell it, or - of course - he's overegging his money troubles in order to try and earn more pity dollars on Patreon. That's it. It's this sort of weird thing where it's like "Why isn't he selling the place? I must give advice to this Internet dude I've never met REEE" and then getting more extreme about it at a rapid rate instead of...well, just letting it happen. Like have a laugh but jeez don't get so het up about it (and especially don't, just for example, form a group where you end up becoming an obsessive control freak leader where you're desperate to show how better you are then Phil at every turn and end up looking a lot worse...just for one example, lol)

Who cares about his housing situation? It's more fun to be baffled at how, when confronted with about 10 Pyrex measuring pots and the fact that he could just stick the Cup Noodle directly under the Keurig's water stream, he instead chooses a coffee mug to pour water into the cup noodle. That's just glorious.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kim Justice posted:

It's more cause, y'know, there's obvious answers. He's too lazy to sell it, or - of course - he's overegging his money troubles in order to try and earn more pity dollars on Patreon. That's it.

Or how about just Phil is brick stupid and bad with money. Y'know, the two reasons people keep making fun of him in the first place. BUT WHY NOT SELL THE CONDO THO????

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I don't think it's that unheard-of that some people get weirdly obsessive about people they don't like on the internet.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Flubby posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

"this guy is a total moron, but maybe he's andy kaufman 2"

What's with people thinking people don't have the capacity to be stupid on the internet and instead think it's more likely that they're a performance artist who would ruin their life for no gain other than constant derision?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dork457 posted:

What's with people thinking people don't have the capacity to be stupid on the internet and instead think it's more likely that they're a performance artist who would ruin their life for no gain other than constant derision?

When someone hits a certain threshold of stupid, it can be really hard to tell. There've been several instances of this kind of thing just on SA, and presumably others exist elsewhere.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Really bummed that Best Friends Play is no longer a thing. It's good that they aren't keeping it until it becomes a sad parody of itself, but it was still my favorite channel for watching LPs. I don't really much care for Twitch-style interactive slogs.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Phil gets a lot of hate both for being a complete and utter dunderhead, but also because he's the particular kind of wasteful poo poo most everyone hates, where he would have quite a bit of money if he weren't such a moron, but instead he blows it on stupidly expensive garbage he then doesn't even take care of our use, putting himself into financial turmoil, then comes crawling to his fans to play pauper.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Phil gets a lot of hate both for being a complete and utter dunderhead, but also because he's the particular kind of wasteful poo poo most everyone hates, where he would have quite a bit of money if he weren't such a moron, but instead he blows it on stupidly expensive garbage he then doesn't even take care of our use, putting himself into financial turmoil, then comes crawling to his fans to play pauper.

Hey man, money's hard to manage at any level, here, take a look at this gif and you'll see my point.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Dork457 posted:

I think it is in no small part because the internet is full of places where someone would totally do exactly that if it made them a legend on some forum. The rest is the need to believe that the person in question is, on some level, actually just fine and secure and stable once the camera turns off, and you are not, in fact, watching a person poorly equipped to handle life have a protracted, spiralling meltdown for a paying audience.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yardbomb posted:

This is true tbh, it's why Zuarg here on SA is as hilarious as he is infuriating.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Semi on topic and also merry Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFjSGalLmE0

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

:smith:

Speaking of Metokur, that brings up something I ran across just the other day. I was rewatching an old Retsupurae by Chip and Ironicus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxcYA1hXxLE), and I was looking at the comments when I saw this:

Habermann is the name that got my attention, because I remember Habermann used to post on SA and he did LPs for a few games like Call of Juarez: The Cartel and Shellshock 2. When I went to Google to search, one of the first autocompletes I got was 'habermann metokur'. I actually found a channel where all his all videos have been archived (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvnVfcFb9Hwi7NiWh97aluw/videos?disable_polymer=1), which I thought were gone for good since he just up and vanished off the internet.

What's the deal? Was Habermann friends with Metokur or something? Did they have a falling out? Did it have something to do with him leaving SA and dissolving the Dinner Dates?

What's with your obsession for chuds?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUy2Q6qgnUM&t

holy crap, Glove and Boots are coming back.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

On a somewhat related note, someone successfully doxxing Jim/metouker would be a pretty ok blow against the neet-to-nazi internet pipeline. For as absolutely marginal as he is within the larger extremist ecosystem, he plays a sargon-like role in transitioning cruel kids from trolls and harassers into fascists. Part of it is that he flies farther below the radar, but he’s never really lost a horde of trolls ready to hound people for years.

He was successfully doxxed tho. The fact you didnt hear about it shows you just how much of an impact that had.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUy2Q6qgnUM&t

holy crap, Glove and Boots are coming back.

While I've never heard of this before, I gotta admit the comment section is (as expected for Youtube) a loving riot. Mostly the idea of a bunch of folks being concerned about some guy's puppet show possibly being "watered down for kids" when... it's already a puppet show. Kinda hard to water THAT down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Archer666 posted:

He was successfully doxxed tho. The fact you didnt hear about it shows you just how much of an impact that had.

So who is he and where does he live?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Ash Crimson posted:

What's with your obsession for chuds?

What? :confused: I just ran across that, and I was surprised, because I would have never thought the two had any kind of connection. I didn't go digging through garbage to find some sort of conspiracy or cover-up or something.

I don't care what happens to Metokur; the thread has made it pretty clear he's terrible. I was actually worried that it turned out that Habermann had jumped ship from SA and joined up with Metokur, but it sounds like it was the opposite. He cut ties with Metokur and left SA because of how bad GBS got.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

While I've never heard of this before, I gotta admit the comment section is (as expected for Youtube) a loving riot. Mostly the idea of a bunch of folks being concerned about some guy's puppet show possibly being "watered down for kids" when... it's already a puppet show. Kinda hard to water THAT down.

Probably the same people who get offended when told My Little Pony is a kids cartoon.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I don't think posting a person's doxx in the internet critic thread is on-topic.. It's on the usual doxxing forums if you really want to know. His name is, at least. No clue about his address.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

...Why would you wanna know? Kinda taking a weird turn here. It's probably not even a real dox anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

VolticSurge posted:

They were pretty great in their day and generally were mostly kid friendly in the first place.