Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It is in WWE's best interest if the reason you pay money to see them is because it is WWE.

If they have a Rock or Austin, the reason you pay money is for them, and therefore when they leave you might too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Ok I have a better grasp of this I guess. I stopped watching around the WCW purchase and just got back into it a couple years ago so I missed a lot.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MassRafTer posted:

Didn't stop them from doing it with Cena and it doesn't stop them from doing it with Brock who they sign to deals that pretty much guarantee he has maximum leverage against them. They are just really bad at booking, not booking badly on purpose. They badly wanted Roman to be a larger than life superstar.

i think a better way of putting the situation is that they're willing to have a super-star but only if they're perfectly molded to the brand image vince wants to project. and then because no one likes generic corporate approved babyface no one gets over doing it

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

rovert posted:

Glad Arezzi wasn't made a fool of most of all. And Christmas is time for reconciliation.

Russo has admitted he has issues with depression and whatever else. However, he beats his chest about not getting help about it as he is an old-school Italian or whatever excuse.
And they made it public a little earlier than expected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltvWKOqxgnY

Also here's 1992 Russo giving Alex Marvez a different (and much more plausible) reason for why Dave Meltzer didn't go to the steroid symposium, even if it still set him off (for dumb reasons):

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1073069215677075458

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

rovert posted:

OH MY GOD. Meltzer's opening to Wrestling Observer Radio today.

F4W uploaded this officially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7zY1v7l3N8

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
When I become famous with my podcast discussing what various US presidents would think of various WWE booking decisions, I want you all to know that the inspiration came this morning when I heard Dave say “Y’know, I think that George Bush would’ve been just fine with Dolph Ziggler losing on that show.”

My podcast will be called the Book Stops Here, like comment and subscribe be sure to leave us a review audible dot com promo code “BOOK”

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wish Cock Torturers was a real podcast

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

I wish Cock Torturers was a real podcast

This and Dads4Rill

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

WWE should change their WWE FOREVER bumper to "If you don't wanna see bad stuff, this isn't the show for you."

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Karmine posted:

When I become famous with my podcast discussing what various US presidents would think of various WWE booking decisions, I want you all to know that the inspiration came this morning when I heard Dave say “Y’know, I think that George Bush would’ve been just fine with Dolph Ziggler losing on that show.”

My podcast will be called the Book Stops Here, like comment and subscribe be sure to leave us a review audible dot com promo code “BOOK”

I would listen to this podcast, please link your Patreon.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bryan really went off on that Seth tweet on WOL today.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Bryan really went off on that Seth tweet on WOL today.

The one where he argued that it's so hard to make 5 hours of TV a week that it shouldn't matter if it's 5 hours of poo poo? Good, that may not have been the dumbest thing ever tweeted, but it's up there.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Matmenpodcast/status/1073410541618688000

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Rov I had that scoop 2 weeks ago.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

rovert posted:

Russo has admitted he has issues with depression and whatever else. However, he beats his chest about not getting help about it as he is an old-school Italian or whatever excuse.

I wouldn't be surprised. Don't know what his mental state was like before his WCW run, but in the short time he was in the ring he definitely got a bunch of concussions.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

triplexpac posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. Don't know what his mental state was like before his WCW run, but in the short time he was in the ring he definitely got a bunch of concussions.
Head injuries have also been liked to suddenly becoming religious.

Goldberg speared Russo into believing in God and being a sanctimonious prick about it all while he gets to proclaim he's "forgiven" and therefore no bad thing he's ever done matters.

Between that and ending Bret's career, that's quite the rap sheet.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A statement of optimism

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1074089170534989824

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1074168887917199361

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Imagine if Trump ever replied to Meltzer

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1074135376728453121

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Reading would be Trump’s friend

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

mkay0 posted:

Reading would be Trump’s friend

Montreal was a work. Believe me.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This live Q&A is kind of painful to listen to because of the mic feedback but I really enjoyed Tom's awful roast jokes.

Lance Storm at a goat farm sounds pretty amusing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't wait to vote Rock/Meltzer 2020.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Meltzer owns

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
This weeks retro Nitro revolves around a fake screwjob they did at Starrcade and it suuuuuuuuuucks.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Incessant Excess posted:

This weeks retro Nitro revolves around a fake screwjob they did at Starrcade and it suuuuuuuuuucks.

I liked Nash pretending to be woke and pro workers right and Piper having a show long nervous breakdown.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had never heard the part of the HBK/Rock storyline before where a young Rock apparently beat up Shawn Michaels backstage during his Midnight Rockers days, because he was causing trouble for the Rock's mom :vince:

Edit: On nicer to HBK news, apparently the reason they did the bit where Daniel Bryan put HBK in the Yes Lock despite having no plans to do a match between them is because the ORIGINAL plan was for HBK to superkick Bryan and leave him laying with absolutely no comeback, and Michaels pointed out that if this guy was going to be their new Champion they shouldn't be chumping him out and had to give him SOMETHING.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I could have sworn the reason why he gave Daniel that moment was because he asked in a creative meeting “so what are you doing with Bryan?” and the response was “oh we’re done with that” and he was like “you can’t just leave a guy like that looking like a chump, put him in my segment and I’ll put him over” and because he’s Shawn they went along with it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which is hilarious because everyone assumed that angle was setting up Bryan/Michaels at Mania the next year. LOL, nope, WWE had literally no follow up planned. (But they totally planned to put Bryan over in the end and didn't change plans at all when Batista got booed out of the building at the Rumble, guys, we swear)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1074488148711723009

The Christmas show is gonna be ... something

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
They recorded that tonight, right?

Release isn't until next week is it?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They don't call him Filthy Tom because of his impeccable manners and hygiene, I guess.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
At least it wasn't wang that puked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Cameo posted:

I could have sworn the reason why he gave Daniel that moment was because he asked in a creative meeting “so what are you doing with Bryan?” and the response was “oh we’re done with that” and he was like “you can’t just leave a guy like that looking like a chump, put him in my segment and I’ll put him over” and because he’s Shawn they went along with it

There was also apparently the incident where the writers/booking committee were making fun of CM Punk and HBK asked,"Well if you think he's not working shouldn't you come up with something for him so he does? Isn't that your job?"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

There was also apparently the incident where the writers/booking committee were making fun of CM Punk and HBK asked,"Well if you think he's not working shouldn't you come up with something for him so he does? Isn't that your job?"

Shawn can be a lovable rear end in a top hat sometimes, bringing common sense into the equation like that

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mariooncrack posted:

They recorded that tonight, right?

Release isn't until next week is it?

Release on Christmas day. They are always recorded earlier (except maybe the first one, recorded very close or on Christmas Eve I think.) The 2006 Brent-is-institutionalized drama was good.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

My God, it's full of lucha libre.

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1074530898866069505

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
OH YEEAAAAH FLASH FUNK GETTIN DOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!!!!!!

/vince

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I love Bryan’s implication that Paisley is better house trained than Filthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

dsriggs posted:

OH YEEAAAAH FLASH FUNK GETTIN DOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!!!!!!

/vince
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1074531930169856001