Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

With Game Grumps mentioned, the other thing that makes me mostly visit them sporadically is they still primarily do the old 10 minute episodes deal that most people on youtube left behind eons ago, so I always wait until I can just binge full LPs or whatever most of the time, cause I can't deal with that level of piece by piece LP'ing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Man if what seems to be drat near everything weren't paywalled I'd give this a shot. Especially since I have 0 idea about Metal Gear outside some LP's
the amount of quality premium content on giant bomb is frankly staggering, we're talking months straight worth of videos if played end to end. I would definitely consider grabbing a premium sub and going down the list of recommended videos in the GB thread, I think there's a trial for the premium sub too.

they've put out a few premium unlocks over time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkoZHYq0o9Y

one of my favorite premium events is Mario Party Party, where Dan Ryckert forces Brad, Jeff, and Drew to play a 50-turn game of mario party with him

things get heated at times, shall we say, but shenanigans are frequent and excellent(except mario party 9 and 10 which are gaaaaaarbage, as opposed to the normal garbage of the previous 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkoZHYq0o9Y&hd=1

Grouchio posted:

Before I forget, what are the best anime podcasts out right now? (I know the Weebcast with Gigguk is now defunct)
all systems goku mother fucker

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Giant Bomb is just SBFP but they've all hated each other for years and they've got a CBS contract so they'll never be honest and leave.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lot of fingers pointed at Pat and honestly not really going to deny that as dudes a rear end in a top hat who doesn't know how to cut it out and just doubles down- but part of me wonders if Matt was a issue as well due to the whole business side of things. For awhile now if he got mad he'd talk about how he signs the paychecks they get or how he's the boss and get really whiny to the point where I don't *think* it was a joke so I just gotta think on it.

I feel worse for woolie. He looked the most distraught out of all of them to the point he looked moments away from crying and I hope that dude winds up okay. I know he has the "weakest" channel of the group and I'd hate to see him give up what he loves.

matt spends shitloads of money on anime figs and custom intros and puts tons of work into his solo channel and then shows up to the main channel stuff drunk or high and not giving a poo poo so its not really a huge surprise to me on that end. i disagree btw woolie's channel has Kirby Lore so it's by default the best channel on youtube.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I've been watching since the persona 4 video and I have to say that it's an interesting to look back on when I first remember them getting successful and finding their feet (Chrono trigger) and then listen to the most recent ones

Good ride, all things must pass

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
God dammit I just realized I will never get an re6 lp

I really dont want to play that game myself

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Your Parents posted:

Yeah, I did. It seemed obvious because Liam did videos with and keeps open communication with everyone except Pat, but i guess it wasn't that obvious until now.

I get why they didn’t do more together, but it’s kind of a shame. What they did do together was usually solid, and their Barkley playthrough is still one of my favorite things on the channel.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am curious who is gonna be the first person to broke the awkward silence and release new content

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The podcast is continuing, so that'll probably happen soon.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Now that I've had a day to think about it, if Woolie is proper business savvy, which I believe he is, he's probably is gonna grab Castle Super Beast on youtube for possible future use.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Vandar posted:

I get why they didn’t do more together, but it’s kind of a shame. What they did do together was usually solid, and their Barkley playthrough is still one of my favorite things on the channel.

yeah! i really enjoyed that. they seem like they had chemistry but then something happened. also it wasnt me, i must have just thought i said it itt

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The podcast is continuing, so that'll probably happen soon.

Well yeah but I don't think well necessarily see one tomorrow

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Your Parents posted:

Matt spends shitloads of money on anime figs and custom intros

Better than what Pat spends tons of frivolous money on really (Lootbox poo poo)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I kinda think we will, but what do I know.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think you misheard, Matt is leaving the new podcast, not running it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Woolie has always been my favorite Best Friend since he first appeared, so I really hope I can get into his solo channel. I tried a few of his early videos and just couldn't get into them the way I did his Best Friends videos. When he has someone to play off he's amazing, but when I've tried to watch him solo its just never clicked. If nothing else I can still see that old magic on the rebranded podcast.

I think the worst thing about this is that the Best Friends were always my little window into Fighting Games. I always loved them at a casual level for their aesthetics and character designs and bonkers story universes, but "serious," fighting play was intimidating and unappealing, as were the people that championed it generally. But the best friends, Woolie in particular, loved the same things I loved about fighting games but also made that higher level of play, mechanical comprehension, and community, actually seem inviting. The enthusiasm, non-toxicity and willingness to bridge the gap for those of us who didn't know anything about this poo poo was both infectious and downright educational.

I guess I can assume that I'll still get some of that window on the Castle Superbeast podcast, assuming it lasts and doesn't collapse during the transition, but SMS and FNF, Saltybet videos, and even just their general ability to bring a fighting game mindset into other games like Dark Souls or Character Action, that will be a lot harder if not impossible to replace.

EDIT: On the bright side I've been really starting to love Matt's solo channel, so I hope he keeps doing well there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah the thing with woolie is that he struggles when he has no one to play off. He feels like a hype man who feeds off the other persons excitement and elevates it.

When he's on his own or hes regulated to staring at guides there's no real wind in his sails so to speak. Only exception being when he gets to talk about Kirby because that's one of his favorite things (even if he does get a few things wrong here and there)

He also comes off as the most stable of the trio so I don't think people stick to him when he has the other extreme personalities around. Matt over time because really thin skinned and tried to play into being a huge baby about everything (but usually came off as just ultra sensitive) and Pat is this loud bombastic attention grabbing presence because the dude has absolutely no filter and people cheer on his absurd behavior issues for comedy sake.

Meanwhile here's Woolie who's just a happy and sincere guy.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah the thing with woolie is that he struggles when he has no one to play off. He feels like a hype man who feeds off the other persons excitement and elevates it.

When he's on his own or hes regulated to staring at guides there's no real wind in his sails so to speak. Only exception being when he gets to talk about Kirby because that's one of his favorite things (even if he does get a few things wrong here and there)

He also comes off as the most stable of the trio so I don't think people stick to him when he has the other extreme personalities around. Matt over time because really thin skinned and tried to play into being a huge baby about everything (but usually came off as just ultra sensitive) and Pat is this loud bombastic attention grabbing presence because the dude has absolutely no filter and people cheer on his absurd behavior issues for comedy sake.

Meanwhile here's Woolie who's just a happy and sincere guy.

This is why my favourite LP is still Dark Souls 2. Woolie gets to be hyped and genuine and interested for the entire run, Pat gets to be the know-it-all explaining everything to him and keeping him going, their chemistry builds on itself and the LP just really goes places. There's one fight - I think it might be with the Bastille Watchers - where Woolie just breaks and chastises Pat for not giving him some leeway, and Pat responds with "I've been giving you SOOOO much leeway!" And then a few minutes later they're laughing about it.

I honestly hope him and Pat keep up the main channel as Castle Super Beast or whatever. I feel like it would be a waste otherwise and I think it'd be a good fit for them both.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think that if things hadn't gone sour between Matt and Pat that might have happened. As is, maybe Matt doesn't want to give up his channel/business to other people, or Pat doesn't want to pay a cut to someone no longer working on, but still owning, the channel. Or maybe none of them feel it appropriate for the channel to go on without a founder. Or simply, as Pat said, he's not interested in non-twitch content at the moment.

Financially, and for the fans, I think rebranding the channel and carrying on there as Two Best Friends again would have been by far the smarter thing to do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The channel is better served now as a time capsule for the Best Friends 'brand' anyway I think. No reason to put any more videos on it at all.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Y'know, after all these years, I'm still kind of disappointed they never went back and did a full LP of Kirby's Epic Yarn, since that's where this all got started from.

It could have been a chill filler LP for the channel.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

CJacobs posted:

The channel is better served now as a time capsule for the Best Friends 'brand' anyway I think. No reason to put any more videos on it at all.

The fact that the very last video of the channel is a fade to white with a dramatic shout of "OH gently caress!" as Sora is killed by Ursula is oddly poetic.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The real question is what will happen to the Sonic Unleashed LP

And who gains custody of Zubaz. Is he homeless again :ohdear:

Obviously custody of the child will be determined in the traditional method of professional prizefighters.

LADDER MATCH. First one to grab the briefcase full of custody papers gets Zubaz :black101:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

I think the worst thing about this is that the Best Friends were always my little window into Fighting Games. I always loved them at a casual level for their aesthetics and character designs and bonkers story universes, but "serious," fighting play was intimidating and unappealing, as were the people that championed it generally. But the best friends, Woolie in particular, loved the same things I loved about fighting games but also made that higher level of play, mechanical comprehension, and community, actually seem inviting. The enthusiasm, non-toxicity and willingness to bridge the gap for those of us who didn't know anything about this poo poo was both infectious and downright educational.

Maximilian Dood is also good for this if you want another fighting game personality, he's been Best Friends adjacent for a while now too, being friends with Matt and Woolie, also a nice dude.

Like his main shtick even is being an approachable fighting games person for people who aren't already super into them.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I watched the goodbye video to the end, and I take back about what I said about not being devastated.

"We expected nothing, and you guys gave us everything."

:smith:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

I watched the goodbye video to the end, and I take back about what I said about not being devastated.

"We expected nothing, and you guys gave us everything."

:smith:
Drink to that comrades, as our flags stand half mast.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm echoing a lot of the more mournful sentiments expressed in the thread so far, and I have some personal parasocial baggage with the channel and all, but I'm also kind of glad that the constant flow of content that was expected of SBF is over. I've seen, or at least listened to, over 95% of the channel's videos. It was getting to be at least as much of a compulsion as it was entertaining; what if I miss a funny piece of lore that makes me miss jokes in a future video or podcast? But soon I'll be caught up for good, and then I'll have more time on my hands, since their solo channels are less dense in content. Kind of a ridiculous, self-inflicted problem to have gotten over, but I'll take that sense of relief in times like these.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woolie's tabletop stuff was outstanding

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Personality clashes aside, I can say from experience that it can be immensely frustrating to work a media job that gives you the resources and drive to work on high-concept ideas, only to have to work with someone whose instinct is to just wing it the entire time because the audience will give them a pass, especially when the no-effort approach actually works.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

When it comes to LPing I definitely prefer them winging it

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My favorite Best Friends LPs are definitely the ones where at least one person knows the game and they're not just flailing around blindly. Silent Hill 2 and 3 are good examples of this sort of LP, as is Silent Hill Homecoming for a different reason. Pat spends basically the entire LP talking about how awful SH: Homecoming is is and why it does everything wrong, and for me it never got old because SH: Homecoming is the worst game.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
If the intro song for the Woolie/Pat podcast isn't Rob Zombie's "Super Beast" I'm gonna be disappointed

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Petition to have the thread title changed to Super Best Friends Played.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
It's weird that I was just recently thinking about how I wish they'd stop doing LPs I'm interested in while I'm busy and have no time. I'm a week behind on my subscription videos and was wondering how bad it would get once I get married next year. .........Problem solved?

Sad to see it end literally over business ruining a friendship... but also kind of hilarious to follow some of the comments I've come across on youtube and twitter. Not the people who are sad and saying the SBF saved their lives or whatever... but the ones crazily on a witch hunt of "IT MUST BE THE FAULT OF THIS rear end in a top hat."

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Petition to have the thread title changed to Super Best Friends Played.

Super Ex-Friends

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Super Best Friends Schism

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rip best friends, I def feel the most for
Woolie. While prob the most criticized by comments for maybe not having the strongest possibility/qualities as the others, my man showed up for work every single day and was always putting in 100% at the office. And god damnit, he's black and likes Muse. My spirit brother forever.

I think we all saw the writing on the wall and many of us aren't very surprised by this. Throughout the years I never liked the way Matt would sandbag segments he wasn't feeling or would check out. That stuff gave me the impression he could be very passive aggressive and annoying to be around if he's wasn't getting his way. Doubly moreso if he behaved that way with boss stuff. I know I would get very tired of that.

sexpig by night posted:

Funhaus, a branch of the Rooster Teeth stuff, has a very similar 'we're just gonna gently caress around and have fun with this video game and we'll see what happens' thing. They don't really do many proper LP's, more one shots and all, but they have themed stuff like GTA Online (now Red Dead Online) every week and they have played Hit Man games in a very special way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM3sNH7c5B4

They also do poo poo like boardgames and have a podcast and all. Solid group with good chemistry and mostly made up of the same people from their Machinima days when they started with a few additions like one of the guys' wife who's a hilarious dork.

I want to also throw a huge recommendation for Funhaus. They're great for anyone like me whose work/life obligations keep them from consuming hours of content every day as all of their uploads are about an hour of play very well edited down to 10-15min.

At first I didn't like the editing cause I still did the fast and loose style of sbfz but I came to adore it if not because they're such a huge time saver.

These were the vids that got me hooked on them. Big, big loving laughs here when get started talking about Joel Schumaker hating women and only wanting to cast big oily jacked dudes for Batman & Robin :laugh: there's a reason clip has 1.2 million views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWG8c5Pdzo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmomcik_S5o

They also do a few podcasts if you want more longform stuff. They also just added Alanah Pierce from IGN, who I wasn't sure of at first (not because IGN is questionable or anything but solely because I hate all women, drat fake gamer m'ladies trying to steal our hobby for themselves in favor of big feminist agenda) but she's real as gently caress, has had a impact on the channel having more scripted segments, which I believe work extremely well even tho they're mainly all about improv and she's not afraid to say anything really. Just a great group overall. Which means their inevitable disbanding is just a few months away...

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Though it is really sad to see it go, I hope that this means a few things:

1) Matt doing more cross-over stuff. I'd like to see Slowbeef invite him to the Fight Palace for some truly terrible games or to see him on YoVideogames with Max and the group.

2) Pat and Woolie stuff, which is great. You can really tell with games like Souls and Bloodborne (Part 45 or something, where Woolie reveals his dyslexia hence his terrible sense of direction, and Pat's "Oh, so you're not wrong, you're just BROKEN' comment, followed by five minutes of laughter) but they play off one another really well.

3) One channel or the other to pick up the Shitstorm mantle, because I will miss that.

But, for now, let us not grieve for it's passing but be joyous that we shared an age together.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

3) One channel or the other to pick up the Shitstorm mantle, because I will miss that.

I doubt anyone will be taking the shitstorm name specifically, since its basically a shorthand for "Matt and Pat's Shitstorm of Scariness" but Matt apparently did a bunch of horror games on his streams/channel this year, so I imagine he's the most likely to continue the tradition of having an outright marathon/themed month. I could also see Pat streaming a bunch of horror games in October since that's a thing to do, but I got the impression he's more into bigger title horror games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil rather then the indie and euro jank that'd crop up on the shitstorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean the shitstorm this year was already half of "here's games matt played on his channel at some point"