Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Next you'll be telling me that the fact that the word "Kit Kat" is stamped into the chocolate means you're getting robbed of chocolate.

Not that I don't have the occasional Kit Kat, they do at least have the redeeming value of chocolate on the outside.

But a Time Out is better, since there is Flake in between the crispy bits instead of Mystery Paste of Production Byproduct.

Generally speaking, though: mo' chocolate, mo' better.

And on the topic of charts, maybe I should find a place to post my Chocolate Guide. Over 215 milk chocolates from around the world. Only milk chocolate, no fillers, additives or extra flavorings. All my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

Not that I don't have the occasional Kit Kat, they do at least have the redeeming value of chocolate on the outside.

But a Time Out is better, since there is Flake in between the crispy bits instead of Mystery Paste of Production Byproduct.

Generally speaking, though: mo' chocolate, mo' better.

And on the topic of charts, maybe I should find a place to post my Chocolate Guide. Over 215 milk chocolates from around the world. Only milk chocolate, no fillers, additives or extra flavorings. All my opinion.

Kit Kats are great if only for the fact that the filling of Kit Kats is other Kit Kats.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Demand for it in rich countries has kinda hosed over the south americans for whom it’s a staple hasn’t it?

nobody really knows

it's a popular narrative, and obviously any narrative that encourages white guilt is worth spreading. but it's a simplistic narrative too. there are some benefits to having the price of the crop you grow rise drastically, such as: you can sell it for more money. and that's not exactly the worst thing that can happen to a farmer, even if it means they end up eating more of the kinds of food we eat instead of the kinds of food their ancestors ate. it's pretty hard to say whether the average person in a historically-quinoa-eating region is better or worse off overall.

of course it would be a lot better if more of the rich people money went to the actual farmers instead of straight into the pockets of whole foods, but that's the joy of capitalism

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Aramoro posted:

Kit Kats are great if only for the fact that the filling of Kit Kats is other Kit Kats.

Then where did the first Kit Kat come from? :psyduck:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

SerialKilldeer posted:

Then where did the first Kit Kat come from? :psyduck:

There was no first kit kat. There is no last kit kat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kit-kats are a closed circle

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrUnderbridge posted:

À chacon son goût.

Or if you prefer the Latin, de gustibus non est disputandum.

How about some Underbridge delenda est?!??!?

;)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Next you'll be telling me that the fact that the word "Kit Kat" is stamped into the chocolate means you're getting robbed of chocolate.

Or that the space between toblerone peaks is a way to reduce the amount of chocolate people get.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How about some Underbridge delenda est?!??!?

;)

Only if that's how you end all your posts. :agesilaus:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Besesoth posted:

Only if that's how you end all your posts. :agesilaus:

Oh, no, I just sign my posts.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Tunicate posted:

Or that the space between toblerone peaks is a way to reduce the amount of chocolate people get.

:thejoke:????

and to stay on topic:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Mr. Fix It posted:

:thejoke:????

and to stay on topic:

Bad marketing because it looks like you lose more than 10%.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Platystemon posted:

Bad marketing because it looks like you lose more than 10%.

Good marketing because when they made the gaps small again everybody was happy instead of complaining about the whole thing being 10% smaller

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tsaedje posted:

Good marketing because when they made the gaps small again everybody was happy instead of complaining about the whole thing being 10% smaller

So basically it's the candy equivalent of that four square thing car salesman use to get you fixated on the monthly payment while ignoring the total cost of the loan.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's the candy equivalent of New Coke/Classic Coke which I'm 1000% convinced was deliberate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That seems like standard industry practice for a lot of stuff that counts on being dirt cheap for its marketing.

Candy bars will slowly get smaller then return to "A New Bigger! (the original)" size for more money. The dollar menu went away and came back but McDoubles were now in the two-dollar category.

I guess it makes more money/counteracts inflation while softening the blow to consumption that a price rise would have.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think it generally progresses faster than inflation as there are people crunching numbers to see what kinds of reductions won't get noticed. The one that really comes to mind is McCormick pepper; the tin is always the same size but the amount of pepper you get keeps inching downwards.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
It's the textbook definition of hidden inflation - lowering quantity or quality of an item while keeping the retail price the same. The effect is ultimately the same - you pay more for less (or worse quality).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think it generally progresses faster than inflation as there are people crunching numbers to see what kinds of reductions won't get noticed. The one that really comes to mind is McCormick pepper; the tin is always the same size but the amount of pepper you get keeps inching downwards.

Or deodorant having less and less actual product, with the change hidden by the label.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
https://twitter.com/donmoyn/status/1073645547750350851

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what are these.. ,,same powers´´ of which you speak :thunk:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Why is the bottom right corner attacking Reagan with a chameleon tongue?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s a Reagan rocket blasting out of the Ayn planet’s atmosphere

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Demand for it in rich countries has kinda hosed over the south americans for whom it’s a staple hasn’t it?

It skyrocketed the standard of living of farmers and doubled the standard of living of the people who didnt. Giffen goods dont really exist outside of theory

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Reagan is the handle of the shovel in the pile of poo poo.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That seems like standard industry practice for a lot of stuff that counts on being dirt cheap for its marketing.

Candy bars will slowly get smaller then return to "A New Bigger! (the original)" size for more money. The dollar menu went away and came back but McDoubles were now in the two-dollar category.

I guess it makes more money/counteracts inflation while softening the blow to consumption that a price rise would have.

And they've been doing it for a good long time, too. There's a Stephen J. Gould essay "Phyletic Size Decrease in Hershey Bars" (collected in Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes) from 1983 that tracks the price and size of Hershey bars since the 40s, and they show a regular "microdownsizing" at one price until they make a simultaneous size and (greater) price increase to a "now bigger!" bar.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this is the worst political compass ever

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Hobnob posted:

And they've been doing it for a good long time, too. There's a Stephen J. Gould essay "Phyletic Size Decrease in Hershey Bars" (collected in Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes) from 1983 that tracks the price and size of Hershey bars since the 40s, and they show a regular "microdownsizing" at one price until they make a simultaneous size and (greater) price increase to a "now bigger!" bar.

A sort of punctuated equilibrium but for candy bars, if you will.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Accurate, when I think Al Gore I, too, think "worse than Stalin"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

vyelkin posted:

Accurate, when I think Al Gore I, too, think "worse than Stalin"

but he is worse than stalin..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe freedom is like temperature in that negative values rank above all possible positive values.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One thing we can all agree on is that FDR and Stalin were more similar than Hitler and Mussolini

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Gore isn't on the chart yet, his label is waiting to be placed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I have the strange feeling this political compass may not be entirely serious

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One thing we can all agree on is that FDR and Stalin were more similar than Hitler and Mussolini

FDR, Hitler and Mussolini are equals - they died in 1945.

Stalin, Beria, the Rosenbergs and Hank Williams died in 1953.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/1072329780488491008

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

I'm pretty sure looking at that chart actuly causes civilian casualties, in the form of major retinal trauma.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The DoD loves slides like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that's why america keeps murdering civilians by the million, they're reading the charts wrong!