Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i am just glad Ciaphas got to have a in person interview and a confidence boost :)

that and i am probably putting in my notice next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

interviewing status: still garbage

after putting in some 45-50 minutes to a personality and iq test for a bank they replied with "we don't think you really want this". this was after the first interview with their team leader who seemed enthusiastic about me

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
got rejected from the place I went to wed. have a phone screen with another place today. I’m sure it is a good sign that they have a weird bug on their homepage.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Boiled Water posted:

interviewing status: still garbage

after putting in some 45-50 minutes to a personality and iq test for a bank they replied with "we don't think you really want this". this was after the first interview with their team leader who seemed enthusiastic about me

Reply, in person, with, "You don't know me, mother fucker!" to show you really do.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
i must be interviewing at a real start up, the cto sat in on my technical phone screen. shouldn't they have something better to do?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

i must be interviewing at a real start up, the cto sat in on my technical phone screen. shouldn't they have something better to do?

For smal companies it's not that uncommon, startup or not. If the company is small enough, the CTO is probably only one level above your boss and the cost of hiring a developer isn't nothing.

Would it be a waste of time for the CTO to be involved in a decision to budget another 100k/year for AWS? The answer to that last one is yes, because AWS is a hungry god that you must unquestioningly appease by shoveling money into its gaping, firey maw

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

this seems like the best thread to complain about a google on-site giving me literally zero system design questions, and 3 different questions about turning inputs into graphs, and then traversing those graphs

they didn't even let me see the campus, i had to hang around in a lovely industrial park across the street

talk about getting high on your own supply

graphs!!!! god I loving love graphs!!!!! they are everything in the world!!! everything is a graph!! crush them up and snort them and do a million knight moves theory problems in 15 minutes!!! universal constant!!!!!!! hail graphs!!!!!!!! shove a graph up my butt!!!!! depth first depth first depth first depth first depth first depth first depth first depth first depth first a* depth first

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nobody loving uses or gives a poo poo about graphs, graphs are a solved problem. no one loving cares. stop asking graph theory questions. god drat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

if your work involves heavy knowledge of graph theory you aren’t interviewing anyone for it, you’re reaching out through your post doc connections or google alumni

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
actually a lot of people use and give a poo poo about graphs but that doesn't mean anyone needs to be solving graph theory questions on a whiteboard google-style

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

here's my graph theory

he's good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oof, second tech interview (different company :toot:) didn't go so hot--seems i stumble hard when my coding is being directly observed, missed a really obvious solution to a problem we were working on with the old tic-tac-toe saw

i guess they still want to do the next stage maybe, or at least he says so, so no harm no foul i guess, but man i definitely do better when i can separately try to talk and walk

god help me if they ever try to enforce pair programming like someone else in here was, lol

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 14, 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I might be moving to a new gig within my workplace under a whole different division; should be cool and maybe a lot more visible

in other news i'm doing a favor assignment on an old project to fix a few bugs while the main dev is out and I think they introduced some majorly bad regressions in simple things in the time since I and the other old dev left :argh:

like i don't understand how you could gently caress up this badly

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

oof, second tech interview (different company :toot:) didn't go so hot--seems i stumble hard when my coding is being directly observed, missed a really obvious solution to a problem we were working on with the old tic-tac-toe saw

in my interview for current job at a FAANG, doing a really simple RLE encoder on a whiteboard, my big check was if (c = last_char){

for 5 minutes it sat there on the whiteboard, the silliest little mistake of = instead of ==, while we hashed out other problems in the code, until i noticed it

especially if you haven't sat on the other side of the table, EVERYONE stumbles live. it's fine. don't beat yourself up, don't stress that they're reaching the "wrong" conclusions about you

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

JawnV6 posted:

in my interview for current job at a FAANG, doing a really simple RLE encoder on a whiteboard, my big check was if (c = last_char){

for 5 minutes it sat there on the whiteboard, the silliest little mistake of = instead of ==, while we hashed out other problems in the code, until i noticed it

especially if you haven't sat on the other side of the table, EVERYONE stumbles live. it's fine. don't beat yourself up, don't stress that they're reaching the "wrong" conclusions about you

yeah i kinda have to work through and past the whole self-incriminating thing i do. lizard brain character trait :v:

in this case I'd written myself into a trap where I needed to set a string, call a function, then unset that string (because that function's supposed to check gamestate after a move--we were writing CanPlayerWinThisTurn(Player, Board) essentially)

long story short i went into a rabbit hole of refactoring functions instead of just setting/unsetting the drat string and being done, out of feeling like I had to optimize that out/clean it up. letting perfect be the enemy of good-enough, kinda thing

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

graphs!!!! god I loving love graphs!!!!! they are everything in the world!!! everything is a graph!! crush them up and snort them and do a million knight moves theory problems in 15 minutes!!! universal constant!!!!!!! hail graphs!!!!!!!! shove a graph up my butt!!!!! depth first depth first depth first depth first depth first depth first depth first depth first depth first a* depth first

Pollyanna posted:

nobody loving uses or gives a poo poo about graphs, graphs are a solved problem. no one loving cares. stop asking graph theory questions. god drat.

b& for mod sass

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I think everyone starts doing incredibly bad at graph problems (it's not an intuitive topic and it has quite a bit of different theory) but eventually things click and you *get it* and then you start having fun with these problems

not saying graphs are super important, just explaining what's the deal. also I may be biased because I like math :shobon:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pollyanna posted:

my gimmick is that i seriouspost. next

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
bfs/dfs is kind of tricky to get right in interview style problems but they are important topics to understand the modelling of control flow in computer programming imo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

my gimmick is that i seriouspost. next

[hands out a probe] thank u, next

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
also also the erdos-renyi graph is one of my pet topics

I just like graph theory ok

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Symbolic Butt posted:

also also the erdos-renyi graph is one of my pet topics

sounds like me on hour 10 of a candyflip

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Symbolic Butt posted:

I just like graph theory ok
agreed that there is something likeable about graph in theory

in practice however...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

agreed that there is something likeable about graph in theory

in practice however...

aaag probations

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
today's AOC is hella graph theoretical: https://adventofcode.com/2018/day/15

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 15, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
A week into this MSP thing, it’s going pretty well I guess? I think the current plan is to maybe do an MCSA and shop around the higher class MSPs?

Maybe?

:shrug:

E: I’m a complete fraud, unqualified for my role and unworthy of gainful employment in IT or any other sector. Discovery is imminent. :ohdear:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

today's AOC is hella graph theoretical: https://adventofcode.com/2018/day/15

I’ve done every day up to this and took one look and nope the gently caress out

I’m not getting paid to do this poo poo, that’s ridiculous

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's not even particularly *difficult*, it's just long and tedious implementing your roguelike game engine to meet the spec

hopefully tomorrow brings a fun level instead

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I liked doing it but it was way too long and I just don't have time left now to review my code and look up some neat graph connectivity algorithms to improve the solution

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

guess im burning out. writing code when it isn't absolutely necessary seems like the most disgusting waste of time

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
don’t open a text editor outside of business hours

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's ok when you're unemployed lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

guess im burning out. writing code when it isn't absolutely necessary seems like the most disgusting waste of time

This isn't burning out. It's a realisation of fact

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
today's problem was a bit like solving a sudoku puzzle

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

Does that sort of mistake matter at all though on a whiteboard test?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If the interviewer isn't an insecure rear end in a top hat who thinks their primary responsibility is proving that they're smarter than the candidate, then no, it doesn't matter at all.

So basically a 50/50 as to whether it's relevant.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

hehehe told the boss today that i got a hugely better offer, and he said it was really sudden and surprising

no, you dumbass, we have been talking about this for the last 2-3 months; even before i started you knew i was accepting an offer way way below market rate

go ahead, hire that intern you were frantically talking to when i was leaving the office today, i am sure he is up to it

i really wanted this job to work out well, i really did - i figured the low pay would be offset by wfh or more days off but nah

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

that is how i feel my eventual leaving talk is going to go. they'll act all blindsided despite the fact it's something i mentioned very strongly and repeatedly in reviews this year.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
eh, they wouldn't hesitate to drop you out of the blue. why should you do them the courtesy of warning them that you're planning on leaving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

redleader posted:

eh, they wouldn't hesitate to drop you out of the blue. why should you do them the courtesy of warning them that you're planning on leaving?

in my case it's a japanese company so i guess the social contract of permanent employment still more or less works

on the other hand i am not here to play the 50 year game of kiss rear end and they know that too