Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Just recorded Chapter 3 in its entirety. Had a perfect run on the Monoku-Man puzzles, found all the Hidden Kids... and missed a single collectible, so I have to do it over regardless.

Bollocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
We need a :moreevil: icon, only with Junko hair and a despair button.

Also, I don't know what you mean, Junpei.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Bifauxnen posted:

oh god what does this say about Teruteru

I said "tend"; he's doing something a little different with the first cases, as they are supposed to set up the stakes and how the cases work. I would be surprised if he felt anything about the first Blackened at all, since it is the victims of those first cases, and the surrounding circumstance of the murder, that make them so interesting.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

DeafNote posted:

I have no idea what this chapter 3 talk could be about.... I am worried

Chapter 3 is the top-tier of messed up and the make or break point for most people's enjoyment of the game.

When people slam the game this is usually the point they choose.

As much as I like the game it's not without merit. :(

It doesn't get that bad again afterwards so if you can make it through this you'll be fine with the rest of the game.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

resurgam40 posted:

I said "tend"; he's doing something a little different with the first cases, as they are supposed to set up the stakes and how the cases work. I would be surprised if he felt anything about the first Blackened at all, since it is the victims of those first cases, and the surrounding circumstance of the murder, that make them so interesting.

Yeah, the first culprits in DR1 and DR2 strike me as some of the most discardable members of their respective casts.

Once you hit AVRIL LAVIGNE, there's really nowhere left to go with Teruteru.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 13, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

resurgam40 posted:

I had a lot more sympathy for Leon than pop idol chick. Her dying and attempting to frame makoto were interesting subversions of the love interest expectation, but Leon felt a lot more like a victim. He was a kid trapped in a situation were he was told to kill or be killed who then had that reality shoved in his face when someone tried to kill him, personally. His execution was also the most brutal in the series with him getting dragged off in terror before getting stoned baseball'd to death. It's the only one in the series where the blackened is killed with real world methods of execution rather than goofy comedy, so it stuck with me one hell of a lot more than any of the other deaths.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: Chapter Title

Well, no sense in putting it off. Let's roll.

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

I knew it, you're... You're Makoto, right!? Mister Makoto Naegi, right!?
...Mister?
You're safe... I'm so relieved, I was worried the whole time...
Same here... I wish I knew you were alright. I mean, I thought you had already died...
Oooh Makotooo! I'm so glad you're alive!
I'm glad too, Komaru. I thought...I'd never see you again...
But I'm relieved to find out you're safe.
Y-Yeah...
Hey... What about Dad and Mom? Are they with you?
Huh?

♪ BGM: DSO_All All Apologies

I see... Then you don't know, either. I was hoping that you would...
Then...you don't know either!? B-But...
I-It's gonna be alright! Don't worry! I‘m sure they're just fine, wherever they are!
But...you have no proof of that... They could be...
There's no proof they're *not* okay either. So let's just believe in hope for now.
Y-Yeah, if you say so...

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

Yeah, that's it.
Heh, it's funny... I never thought I'd hear you say something like that.
R-Really? Well, being positive is like... my only good point.
But more importantly, where are you right now!? What's going on over there?
I'm at a building called Towa Tower. I was told I could use the communication device here...
Wait, that reminds me... Why are *you* answering?
Wh-What do you mean by that?
I mean, I called Future Foundation! Why are you the one who responded?
You... You really don't know?
Don't know? About what?
I'm with Future Foundation. Branch 14, that's my division.
Toko...is this true?
Toko...? Wait, what? Toko is there with you!?
Tch...

You disappeared! Everyone was so worried about you!
Tch, "worried"... Like anyone would actually care if an intern went missing.
You know I would never stay behind on a mission like this, especially with Master going!
So you tagged along without orders... Well, I figured that was pretty much what happened.
W-Wait, hold on! You two know each other!? That's why Toko knew about me from the beginning?
Yeah, she...didn't tell you that?
Oh, sorry, did I not?
No! You very much didn't!
Yeah, that sounds like Toko.
Anyway, I'm glad you two are together.
I-I'm just with her because I have no choice. Your whiny little sister bawls when she's alone...
So basically I'm just a babysitter. I guess this will prepare me for my future with Master...
H-Hey! I wasn't bawling! Don't listen to her, Makoto!
So...where is Byakuya?
Master is...safe. Safe, but...captured by the enemy.
Just as I thought. Future Foundation's intel said as much. I just didn't believe it. I mean, Byakuya? Captured!?
He was p-probably taken by surprise by some fiendish cowards! There's no other way... Ugh, the son of the noble Togami family brought to the position of a mere *hostage*...
Sounds like the situation is pretty serious.
So serious the world is gonna collapse! The Ultimate Affluent Progeny is in danger!
Ultimate...?
Oh yeah, Byakuya, Toko, and I were all classmates at Hope's Peak Academy.
...Wait... You... You didn't know *that*, either?

Komaru totally not looking at anyone in particular right now.

W-Well, now's the time for your brother to explain it! Here's your chance. Now you can show off your utter lack of presence with your brother complex!
I-I do not have a brother complex!
I don't really know where to start... We weren't just regular "classmates"...

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

We were forced...to kill each other. Our classmates.
K-Kill!?

Even after all this time, the memory... The despair... I can still feel it.

It wasn't a movie, it was reality. It actually happened.
And it was all broadcast live, as part of The Tragedy.

They wanted to show the whole world... ...the students of Hope's Peak Academy, the symbols of hope, falling to despair and death.

...Well? No chiming in with a remark this time?
B-But wait, you two are still alive, so...
Yeah, we were able to defeat the mastermind who planned the killing game and survive. ...Of course, we couldn't save everybody...

But...outside, it was more horrifying than we expected. It was easy to get discouraged. But by supporting each other, the friends who survived Hell together...we moved forward.

To fight against the Remnants of Despair, who are still trying to spread despair to the world. Right, Toko?
Ugh...*sob*.
Toko!? Are you...crying?
Of c-course I am... Remembering the suffering and heartache, it...
I see... I didn't know about that at all. I never thought something like that was going on... But...you guys are so amazing. I gave up immediately, but you guys... You guys fought and confronted the problem...
I guess that's why you've changed.
No, not really... I was always being saved by everyone else...
Hmph, *you* saying that...
Your brother got so hyped up from being declared the Ultimate Hope... He was always dragging everyone along, so eager about everything.
H-Hey! I wouldn't say I was "hyped" about it...
Oh? But you don't deny the "dragging everyone along" part, huh...
Jeez, take it easy on me...
Makoto... You've definitely changed.
You too, Komaru? What do you mean? I haven't changed a bit...
No, really. You really changed. Might be weird for your little sister to say this, but you seem more mature now.
Just from this conversation I can tell you're more reliable than you used to be.
Well... I don't really think so, though.
But me... I haven't changed at all, not since my imprisonment...

Listen, about that. There's something I need to apologize for.
Huh? Apologize?
The reason you were imprisoned there... It's because of us. If we weren't chosen by the mastermind, you wouldn't have ended up like this.
Huh? What do you mean?
You aren't the only prisoner in Towa. With you is everyone who was relevant to our classmates.

The mastermind abducted people relevant to us and tried to use them as a motive.

In the end, the mastermind was swallowed by the despair, and that motive was left unused.

Probably the doings of the Remnants of Despair, trying to succeed the mastermind's will. Because of them, we were totally in the dark about where the Captives were being held.
But a few days ago, Future Foundation received an anonymous tip. We were told captives from the killing game were being held in a certain apartment in Towa City.

But because of those rioting little brats and their machines...

OK, I totally forgot this was in here. So I'm just going to think out loud for a bit here, because I think the original plans for the Captives are never further elaborated upon, since, well, the one doing that plan is now an Ultimate Pancake and all that. We've now established that the Captives were at one point planned to have a killing game of their own to really gently caress with the Hope's Peak students in their killing game. The first question that comes to mind is "how do we know this" - the aforementioned Ultimate Pancake certainly isn't talking, and I don't think Junko is the type to keep notes, though I might be wrong on that front and might even be forgetting something from DR1. But let's just keep that aside for now and just assume Junko kept notes they could read and that's how they know of the unused motive.

The next question that comes to mind is "how was this to be organized". We know that every Captive is stuck in Towa City, but not exactly where. Komaru was in the apartment complex, but didn't run into anybody else there. The only logical explanation is that all the Captives were locked up in that same complex at some point, because otherwise the logistics of organizing a killing game in the midst of a completely normal city - remember, the riots in Towa City only broke out super recently, during the events of DR1 Towa City was doing mostly just fine thanks to Towa Group's air purifier and all that - would just be insane.

OK, so everybody is in the same apartment complex. So next question - "how did everybody get out". At some point in time, each Captive would have needed to go through these steps:

1) Escape from their prison in some way
2) Get caught by the Warriors of Hope
3) Get the exploding wristband put on them
4) Get released out into Towa City again

Both Yuta and Taichi mention being captured by the Warriors of Hope, so they're doing this themselves. Anyway, step 1) is where I have problems. When Komaru escapes from the building, it was burning, and as she got out, the Monokuma riots only seem to have started. The others were probably not released at the same time as Komaru, otherwise somebody would have run into somebody in some way. If they were released beforehand, then how did the capturing work if the riots haven't started yet? If they were released afterwards, how didn't the building burn down in the meantime? I guess the most logical answer is that they were released beforehand and managed to get out into Towa City, but there wasn't enough time for them to really escape the city before all hell broke loose.

OK, I think I've rambled on enough and answered these questions I have to my own satisfaction. On with the regularly scheduled program.

So did you figure out what the deal is with these Monokumas yet?
No, we still haven't figured that out...
Huh!? Jeez, Future Foundation's useless!
The Monokuma riot starting at the exact same time as the rescue operation... Strange...
Like I said, it's no coincidence, it's conspiracy! Someone's setting up Future Foundation!
Then that would mean the tip was a trap? Using the Captives as bait to lure us there...
...The Captives aren't just bait. They're targets for the Massacre Game the brats are playing.

Um, excuse me, Toko, the proper name is "Demon Hunting".

..."Massacre" game!?
They make hunting and killing the Captives part of their little game to taunt us.
Wait, does that mean the Captives are the ones wearing wristbands like mine? Then, Yuta and Hiroko, and that man with the computer, they... They're all Captives!?
Yes... They're people close to us. People who were imprisoned in Towa, just like you.
Komaru... What you just said... Is it true? You're involved in this Massacre Game, too?
Y-Yeah... They put a wristband on me. And now I'm being chased by these...weird kids...
Th-That's...
And one of the brats who started this sick game said something interesting earlier... Something about Big Sis Junko.

♪ BGM: DSO_Ocean Breeze Dead End

Junko? You mean Junko Enoshima!?
Junko...Enoshima?
She's the mastermind behind the school... No, she's the mastermind behind The Tragedy itself.
And! She has huge boobs.
...Big boobs, too!?

10/10 dialogue.

As opposed to all those Fake Ultimate Despairs. You know, the ones you get sold at vacation spots for way under market value to the point where you should totally get suspicious but you still somehow don't.

She was...our former classmate.

Yes, Junko Enoshima is dead. But it seems her memory is still alive and well.

She's become a martyr to them... Now she's even more trouble than when she was alive.
It's like they worship her, like some big-chested despair goddess or something.

"Big-chested despair goddess". Awesome.

...She must have foreseen this possibility from the very beginning...

Listening to you guys is... I just can't believe it's all real.
...Yes, her big boobs are indeed real.
No, not that part...
But I get why you think this is all just fiction. Crazy kids are...killing adults, y'know?
Y-Yeah, things are just so...messed up here.
Makoto! Hurry up and get over here!

Because of the wristband, I can't get out of the city. If I leave without permission, it blows!
But Future Foundation can remove the wristband, right? So please, come save me!
Komaru...
... ...You can't.
Huh? I-I can't...? Can't what?

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

Why do you think they're holding Master hostage? They don't want Future Foundation to interfere. Like taking hostages during a bank robbery. Master Byakuya is being used as a deterrence. M-Meaning...if Future Foundation came to this city, Master would be...
Then...Future Foundation won't come save us!? Then what am I supposed to do!?
Didn't I already tell you? There's no other way. You have to fight against those kids. Get rid of them, and you can save yourself and Master.
Th-That's impossible!
No, it isn't! You have Master's gun! And I'm with you, too!

♪ BGM: DSO_Desire for Execution...

B-But I... I can't take this anymore... I just can't do it anymore... I'm not from Future Foundation! Or Hope's Peak! I'm just a normal girl who can't do anything!
Komaru!
Makoto, please, I'm begging you, come save me! Hurry! Please!
I told you, you can't! If they come here to rescue you, Master will be executed!
Makoto, you better not come. If you even try it...

K-Kill!?

M-Makoto!?

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Makotooo!

What is this...? Why, all of a sudden it...
Out of battery? No, can't be. That must mean...
They found us?

Suddenly, all the window shutters start closing.

They're going to trap us! W-We gotta hurry and get out of here!
B-But I haven't finished talking to my brother!
We can't get through anymore! And it doesn't matter anyway, no matter how much you talk! As long as Master is in their custody, Future Foundation can not come to this town!
But...if it's Makoto...

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

Toko, calm down! Don't panic!
I-I am calm! I-I've just been taking too many deep breaths, that's it! Just...lightheaded!
...Yeah, she's panicking.
It's fine! We just gotta get out of here! Hurry or I'll stretch your cheeks out like rubber!
... Got it...

♪ BGM: Welcome To Towa Tower

And, well, now we're stuck in the dark and don't really have a lot to go on, but we'll deal with that next time. Also next time, we start getting into some real fun poo poo. Note: Fun poo poo might not be fun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Komaru getting angry at Toko for withholding information was appropriate.

And then it was immediately dropped. :shepface:

TheMcD posted:

And! She has huge boobs.
...Big boobs, too!?

Truly the most vital part of this explanation.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Komaru getting angry at Toko for withholding information was appropriate.

And then it was immediately dropped. :shepface:

Truly the most vital part of this explanation.

Don't you know, animu schoolgirls always compare boob sizes in media like this!

Also, thanks thread for reminding me how much I hate the use of the term The Blackened for a murder culprit.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

TheMcD posted:

I knew it, you're... You're Makoto, right!? Mister Makoto Naegi, right!?
...Mister?

This is a weird line. I wonder what the Japanese dialogue was here. What honorific was used?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't know if that line has a deeper meaning that'll come into play later on, but if it's a translation thing then I think it would be better if she said "The Makoto Naegi" instead of Mister.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, we can't see poo poo. We should rectify that situation. I see a sparkle in the distance, guess we can head for that?

Oh poo poo, Monokuma!

Oh.

So now we have a Monokuma kid playing with a little Monokuma doll, and she has a glowstick clipped to her.

When she spots Komaru and Toko, she jumps over the counter...

...kicks over a can of that weird Detect-only paint...

...and legs it, leaving her glowstick behind.

Ah! Hold on! How do we get out of here?

Well, at least it's going to be a bit brighter now.
Th-That little brat! I'm... I'm sure she knows how to get out of this place!

Let's try following her footprints.

And there we go.

So now we get to use Detect to see footprints and follow them along to try and find our way through this place. This involves a lot of stumbling around, because there are collectibles here too, and they're not really on the beaten track.

The first thing we spot on our path is some sparkles.

♪ Jingle: Hidden Kids Discovered!

In my continued stumbling around and trying to find a way to the collectibles, we also run into some Monokumas, which are placed in very unfriendly spots.

Lining up Nice Shots in the dark is a bit difficult, but I manage.

Anyway, here's collectible number two.

Yes, the person closest to Celes is her cat which is so pampered it won't even touch regular food anymore. And if you're wondering how I know the cat belongs to Celes, just look at the name.

The footprints end up going over chairs and tables, which make them a bit questionable as a guide, so I just kinda go "gently caress it" and stumble through the darkness some more.

Running into Monokumas is practically guaranteed.

We do end up stumbling into the last collectible up here.

It's another Socki page! I wonder if this will make sense in the end. I kinda doubt it.

Eventually we just run into the girl we were chasing, basically on accident.

And Komaru decides to take action!

Got you!
Nooooooo!

Y-You! I bet you know exactly where the exit is, right? T-T-Tell me!
Uh huh...

And she brings us...

An emergency staircase, right here? Thank God! Truly perfect for an emergency like right now!

Let's hurry and get out of h-

BONK

Tee hee...

She then closes the door behind her.

Wait! Hold o-

Suddenly, loving explosion!

Toko... Hey, Toko!

♪ BGM: Absolute Delusional Girl

If you wash black clothes too many times, the color fades. But there's a way to combat this. It is a simple method. First, do the laundry like you normally would.
Y—Yes... Do the laundry...like usual...

Oh yes, I will! I'll add beer...anything!
And just like that, faded clothes can be fully restored!
Ahhh... I'm starting to get better at doing laundry!

Somehow, these scenes just get even more magical as we go along.

Toko, get a hold of yourself!
...Ah!

We found the emergency exit, but it's blocked!
Th-That brat... She betrayed us. A little more and I would've blown up...
I don't think she was our ally from the start...
Sh-Shut up! This is your fault!
Why is it *my* fault!?
You're the one who said you wanted to contact Future Foundation! And now this happens!
Thanks to you, I got caught in this drat trap... Take some responsibility!
Responsibility!?
Argh, who cares!? I don't want to hear your excuses! I just need some light, yeah! Light! More light! More liiight!

Well, at least we can see a bit more now.

Alright, this is pretty simple. We have a thing where light is coming out of, and a Bomber stuck in front of it. I can put two and two together. Also, collectible over on the right.

I can only imagine Komaru shoving those rules into Toko's face and pointing heavily towards the second one.

And now we can get out!

Are you okay...?
No, I'm just happy!
Well, you didn't have to scream about it!
But still, it's good that we're finally outside, but now what do we do?
I-I'm sure there's a way to get down...

♪ BGM: Wonderful Dead 003

And now, we're on top of the world or something. And thus, we are at the horns of a dilemma - we have two ways to go, one left, one right. One sure to have a collectible, and one to have the way forward. We shall go... left!

I have chosen wisely!

♪ Jingle: Skill GET!

And I get a useless skill as a result! Awesome!

On the other side, we have the ladder down and a save point. Let's head down then.

Better than being in the dark! C'mon, let's go!

And as the two descend the ladder...

♪ BGM: It's a Kids' World

...we cut to the Warriors of Hope! By the way, this is one of those videos I particularly recommend you watch.

Well, not like I care. I hate him anyway.
Taro probably got himself killed... Cut, ground down, crushed and stretched, squashed into paste, burned and eaten! Poor little Taro... Even though I hated him.

Something seems to be bothering Kotoko.

Anyways, Monaca... Why are we not holding a funeral this time?
...A funeral?
Oh, that. I got bored of that. Doesn't really matter, we can't even fill the coffin anyway.
W-Well... if you got bored of it, guess we don't really *have* to... ...But, um... Do you think Jataro really died?
...Hm?
I mean, if he did die, we should have found his body, right? I was just, y'know...a teeensy bit curious. That's all.

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

...Huh?
Like! I! Said! You're! Trying! To! Say! Monaca! Is! Wrong! You're! Questioning! Monaca!

Uh oh, she made Monaca maaaaad.

N-N-No! Not at all! There's no *way* Monaca could be wrong! And speaking of wrong, aren't the people who put Worcester sauce on fried eggs just wrong!? I-It's so obvious that fried eggs taste best when you drown it in maple syrup, right!?
Mmgh...
Look, I was just a little curious, that's all! My head's just a little out of place right now is all... I'm just a teensy bit curious! Like about why mailboxes are always white, or how enemies become friends right after a fight!
You...don't have to worry about things like that.
I-I'm sorry! It's not like I have bad feelings toward Monaca or anything!

Yep, yep, I already know that. It's not something to apologize over.

The director, the producer, the sponsors, everybody was super happy! And now...there's another business you have to attend to. And your mom's gonna come with, okay? It's going to be alright... Kotoko is just so sweet... Everyone will be gentle with you... Very, very gentle...

I-I'll do my best, with singing *sob*, and acting...*sob*... So pleaaase...*sob*... Anything but gentle...
Oh, ooopsies! I *totally* forgot. Gentle is a bad, baaad word for Kotoko... Jeez, to make you end up like this... It's as I've always known, Demons are the worst.

So to comfort Kotoko, Monaca rolls up...

...and just loving socks her straight into the jaw.

How can they be so blind?

And then Monaca just punches Kotoko over and over again.

Even blind to the fact that they scarred Kotoko like this...

♪ BGM: DSO_Ocean Breeze Dead End

And then, a hug.

... ...Demons...are filthy, smelly, ugly chunks of meat, more worthless than dirt... And disgusting, filthy Demons...deserve a disgusting, filthy death.

They should just hold it in, and hold it, and hold it until their intestines explode!
Jeez, Kotoko! That's so gross!

Ah, it's Nagisa!
How's not the time for banter. We've got a lot of work to do here!
Oh my oh my, are you perhaps...jealous?
Wh-What're you talking about? What do I have to be jealous of?
"It's not like I'm jealous of *you*"...
...Is that what you're trying to sayyy?
Like I said, it... it's not that at all!
Hey, what do you mean, "jealous"?

Ahaha, I don't get it at all!
And hey, more importantly, you mentioned there was work to be done... Did something happen?
Yes, I've received a report from the Monokuma Kids I sent scouting earlier. Those two schoolgirl Demons are sending a communication from Towa Tower.
Don't tell me, they're trying to contact that Demon society, Future Foundation?
It's not a problem. I already scrambled their transmission. We also have a hostage. Future Foundation can't make a move regardless.
And... I have a plan. By taking advantage of those two Demons, we can massacre all of the remaining free-roaming Demons.
You mean...the Resistance?
As long as they exist, our paradise cannot be completed. We should take this opportunity.
Amazing, amaaazing! I don't really get it, but it sounds super amazing!

W-Wait, Mona... Hey!

I-It's nothing, just... Y-You're a little close to me is all...
Awww, you're such a shy boy, Nagisa! Meow!
Your plan... If it works, our paradise can finally be built... And when that happens, the Warriors of Hope will level up to Saviors!
Hm, as our new leader, I will continue to have high expectations of you, sir!
Y-Yeah, you're right... High expectations for me!

High expectations for Nagisa.

Hey, you're listening, right? Kurokuma?

Oh, right... You can talk now.

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

We focus on a black Monokuma wearing a tie, a fedora with a feather in it, a gold chain, an eyepatch, and it's smoking a cigar.

And then suddenly, it leaps into the air!

Wahaha! I can finally talk! Finally!

It lands back on the chair.

Wheeeee! Hi hi hi there!

The voice acting for Kurokuma is amazing. I don't know how to describe it - I want to say "hyperactive stereotypical mobster".

Cut back to the kids, an- pffffahahaha. Oh god, there is so much going on in these expressions. Nagisa just knew this was going to happen again, Monaca seems like she's high as a kite and trying to reason out what particular hallucination she's having this time if the black talking bear showed up again, and Kotoko's is the best of them all, just that right combination of a slight bit of horror, but mostly total confusion. Man, I think Kotoko's expression here is avatar material. I'd honestly do it myself if I wasn't so particularly happy with what I have right now. If somebody wants me to turn that into an avatar, tell me, I'll gladly do it.

Kurokuma then starts talking so fast it becomes incomprehensible for a while. If you haven't picked up on it yet, his thing is that he's a motormouth and loves to talk.

♪ BGM: DSO_Mr. Monokuma's Extracurricular Lesson

drat, even someone extremely good at talkin' like me is already tired out from runnin' my yap! It's like, the hero is still in its child phase, but the warrior alien brother already showed up! ...That example sucked! drat this fatigue, I'd say I'm only about a third as sharp as usual!

Gonna pull out the organs, grind 'em up, make 'em into yummy, cruelty-free cuisine? And then, ya gather 'em up, sell 'em in a supermarket, and become an urban legend? Huh? ...Now that sounds awesome. I wanna see that!
Hahahaha!

And the kids, well, they don't know what the gently caress.

Meanwhile, our intrepid heroes have arrived at the end of the ladder.

Jeez, this half-assed ladder! Wh-Where's the person in charge!?

We're already on the 2nd floor. Just a little bit further and we're out!
I-I...might actually be cheered up a little... I'm not the shrewish woman I used to be.
...Shrooms?
Yeah, you know what? I don't think I'll rely on you any time soon.
I-It's gonna be alright! This is just the last hope, that's all.
The last hope? That's not reassuring at all!

Alright, and with that, we've arrived at the end of this update. Next time, we'll head back through Towa Tower and then... well, I guess we'll have to figure that the gently caress out too.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Between Celes' cat, Monaca's 'unique' form of reassurance (which would almost be sweet in a twisted way if I didn't think she's just lying about caring about the other kids) , and Kurokuma, I don't know what to comment on first.

I'll be surprised if 'Monokuma but painted entirely black' doesn't end up being the final fight in the game, or at least being a part of it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I made an educated guess as to what that small flashback of Kotoko's meant, and when it 'clicked' for me, I genuinely had to go lay down for a moment from nausea and disgust.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I didn't notice until now, but Monaca has a skeleton on the back of her clothes.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

...I do not have faith in the game's ability to handle the subject matter it just presented.

I had a feeling it was coming but also: uuuuuugh

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
A friend of mine loves this game, and told me I should play it. Insisted on it. So I did. Oh, Komaru is Makoto's sister? Neat. Oh, Toko my least favorite character from 1 is here. Well, they're doing good things with her. These Warrior brats? Hate them. Can't stand them. Jataro and... Masaru? The worst of the bunch.

By the time I got to this last scene here, I was so loving done with these kids. Then... came the punch. I was so taken aback by Monaca hitting Kotoko that I think I left it playing over and over while I went to yell at my friend for the billionth time.

At some point, my disdain for this game turned around, but boy there are some low points.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Like Clockwork posted:

...I do not have faith in the game's ability to handle the subject matter it just presented.
I'll have Words about this later, but to keep it to non-spoiler stuff for now:

The game's already been...not that great at making us sympathize with these victims of child abuse. It's especially glaring with Masaru and Jataro, since you spend several hours dealing with them as annoying murderous brats, and "oh hey, here's the horrible abuse they suffered" is thrown out about 5 minutes before they die. These revelations aren't reacted to much by our protagonists before they get on with the fighting, either. It comes off as the writers doing a cheap sympathy ploy instead of them dealing with a serious issue tactfully(as tactfully as DR can do anything, anyway).

I can think of a couple ways that could have been handled better(utilize Komaru as the normal person reacting with appropriate horror while Toko's too numbed by all the poo poo she's already seen to care, spend more time on the "that's horrible, but you're trying to kill us so we still have to fight back" angle, etc), but the DR writing team aren't really the people to do it.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Best-case scenario at this point, it comes and goes as quickly as Masaru and Jotaro's 'issues'. ...But somehow I just know this game is going to linger on it so much more than necessary with all the lack of tact in the world. I'd be happy to be wrong! ...But I'm not holding my breath.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So yeah, Monaca casually beating the poo poo out of Kotoko for a few minutes was pretty unsettling!

Also, the pimp Monokuma. That is certainly a thing.

Like Clockwork posted:

Kotoko has already made comments earlier on that... aren't exactly the most tactful handling of this subject.

I'd go back and quote them, but I really don't want to. I will say that I remember at least one being in the Warriors of Hope's introduction.

Haifisch posted:

The game's already been...not that great at making us sympathize with these victims of child abuse. It's especially glaring with Masaru and Jataro, since you spend several hours dealing with them as annoying murderous brats, and "oh hey, here's the horrible abuse they suffered" is thrown out about 5 minutes before they die. These revelations aren't reacted to much by our protagonists before they get on with the fighting, either. It comes off as the writers doing a cheap sympathy ploy instead of them dealing with a serious issue tactfully(as tactfully as DR can do anything, anyway).

Yeah, Komaru's reaction to Jataro getting killed was "gently caress that kid anyway, though."

And, I mean, I kinda get it because (Insert diorama of human body parts here.), but if you're trying to make the kids victims, you kind of need to make them not 100% horrible or people stop giving a poo poo.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 15, 2018

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Llab posted:

By the time I got to this last scene here, I was so loving done with these kids. Then... came the punch. I was so taken aback by Monaca hitting Kotoko that I think I left it playing over and over while I went to yell at my friend for the billionth time.

Why though? She's an unsympathetic, manipulating piece of poo poo. Is it really that surprising that she would try to manipulate Kotoko through her trauma?

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

SSNeoman posted:

Why though? She's an unsympathetic, manipulating piece of poo poo. Is it really that surprising that she would try to manipulate Kotoko through her trauma?

I'd say I wasn't surprised by Monaca doing this. It's more the whiplash that occurs as this game goes from silly stupid things to "dark" stupid things.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Elementary School Abuse-chan go.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was wondering when this would go off the rails.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if this game sucks

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Great
I guess I got my answer...

Its true though, I didnt care one bit if Masaru or Jotaro died or not.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, time to make our way back through Towa Tower's lower floors again.

We have a pitch black room that looks pretty beat up...

...and the next door over we have a room with some of that Detect paint and a power panel. Let's Move that power panel and see what that does.

It turns the lights on!

Finally, we're out of that horrible darkness.
Yeah, all we gotta do now is get out of here.

Suddenly, a Monokuma kid bursts out of a locker!

This scares the everloving poo poo out of Toko.

Hey! That was mean! You scared Toko half to death!

Uh, I think she just scared Toko full to death.

A challenge? Again?

♪ BGM: Riddle Land

♪ Jingle: Challenge from a Child

I feel like...we've done something like this before.
Leave it to me! I'm in my element! I, the Riddle Queen!
Wh-Why would you want to give yourself such an embarrassing title?

It's challenge time!

So there's a few factors that go into this one. First of all, we have some Detect paint that shows us something was standing here.

When we go over to the next room and turn the lights off again...

...we see six numbers through the wall. We only need four numbers for the password, though.

S-Sure, but... You think there might be a hidden passageway behind the locker!?

Ugh, you sucker people into doing work for you with your nice words...

So we move the lockers here...

...and we're left with only four numbers!

So there's our password.

♪ BGM: We Can't Change The World

Yeah, calm down lady, you only solved a child's riddle.

That brings us back to the main area of Towa Tower, and oh my that's a lot of Ball Monokumas. Well, I'm sure there's an efficient way to take them all out without giving them a lot of opportunity to kill me, but that would mean I couldn't get Nice Shots. So taking them out one by one it is.

Also, here's what happens when you get hit by the cup noodles the Ball Monokumas shoot. You get a bunch of stuff thrown on your screen that slowly goes away...

...and Komaru gets Kirigiri'd.

Also, sometimes, the Ball Monokumas, instead of shooting cup noodles in a straight line, shoot a bomb in an arc that does like two hearts of damage. Having multiple Ball Monokumas aggroed on you might cause some problems.

Problems like this. As a quick reminder, you don't always get Despair Time to save yourself, mainly when you get blown up or fall down a pit.

The second time around, I manage to make it through, though not without some major damage. A save point would come in handy, but there won't be one until we exit Towa Tower, so the ball-clenching is about to begin for me.

Also, more sparkles!

We also spot a Monokuma attacking a corpse which has a collectible near it.

Well, I guess that concludes the story of that guy. Poor bastard.

Our next stop is another Monoku-Man room.

♪ BGM: Absolute Terrified Girl

Now this is a really dangerous room, with lots of Beast Monokumas lurking around. It appears the Beast Monokumas are controlled by the children's song... That's troubling. But don't be afraid! As long as you can find the singing child, you can disable all the Beast Monokumas.

However, choose the wrong one... And you'll get jumped by a Beast Monokuma! So look for the correct Maiden while you try to avoid the roaming Beast Monokumas. Beast Monokumas move in a specific pattern, so it would be a good idea to figure that out. Also, when you're looking for the right one, you should trust the kid's singing voice.

It's a pain in the rear end, but it's better than fighting against them.

Alright, so this one is one where it's probably easiest to just watch the video.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Activate

Since I have only one HP left, I am not interested in messing this up. There's three Beast Monokumas in the three vertical halls, and they move in the pattern of "leftmost from top to bottom, middle from top to bottom, rigthmost from top to bottom, leftmost from bottom to top, middle from bottom to top, rightmost from bottom to top" and repeat. There's four of these Monokuma Maidens in chambers we need to check out.

When we enter that room, the music goes silent and we can faintly hear that "Let's Play With Monokuma" song being sung. The idea being that the closer we get to the Monokuma Maiden that contains the kid singing it, the louder it gets.

In the end, however, I just ended up relying on the visual indicator, since it's clear and definitive, and using the volume of the song is, uh, not.

And there we go!

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Success

After finding the kid, the Beast Monokumas all overheat and stop moving, meaning we can set up Nice Shots with ease and get a ton of money, which is always welcome to me.

Exiting that room brings us to the ground floor of Towa Tower, which still has a lot of enemies around, all of which could easily kill me and force me to redo all that stuff.

But let's not think about that, let's think about this collectible instead.

You know, that's actually pretty intriguing.

...Are you serious? There's no way I'd believe in ghosts and all that paranormal stuff. I may be liberal arts to the core, but I am capable of thinking logically.
Then why are you afraid of the dark?
...You sure come gouging at me.
Gouging?
Gouging at my brain to force me to remember my trauma! The reason I'm afraid of the dark is because of an experience I had, locked up in a dark place.
Oh, you did something bad so you got locked inside the closet? That happened to me as a kid, too. It's so narrow and dark, it really is scary, huh?
This is *me* we're talking about, my story is way more traumatic than that! I was locked up in a place I didn't even know for 3 days and 3 nights.
F-For 3 days!?
And not even a crumb of bread to eat. Ever since then, my mind connects "dark" and "trauma" subconsciously.
Ugh, just thinking about it now is giving me goosebumps.
Why were you locked up...? And who did that to you!?
... ...
Ugh, I... Remembering it is just...
S-Sorry... I shouldn't have asked.

Question: How do you deal with a bunch of enemies with no health? Answer: Very carefully. So next comes a whole bunch of carefully taking care of these Ball Monokumas and trying like hell not to get bombed. And I succeeded! I actually did not expect that - I figured I would gently caress up somewhere.

With the enemies gone, we can grab the last collectible in here.

Well, sorry, Taichi, but that's not happening. Of course, with Chihiro having been dead for some time now, you were never going to succeed regardless. Random thought: At all times, Taichi refers to Chihiro as his "child", never as his "son". I guess that's a bit of fudging to ensure that we don't have to have the talk about Chihiro's situation a second time. Now, let's head out.

It's a good thing we got out of there okay... But being trapped, and that sudden blackout? What's with that...?
It's those brats, obviously. They found out we contacted Future Foundation somehow. That's why they interrupted the communication.
After that, we... We really won't be able to contact Future Foundation ever again...
...Will Makoto come save us?
Like I told you, he can't! If Future Foundation shows up, Master will be in danger!

I'm just a regular girl! I'm not part of Future Foundation or Hope's Peak or anything!
Yap all you want, you can't change the facts.
...Toko... What you said earlier... You weren't serious, were you?
Wh-What do you mean?
You said...you were gonna kill me.
If you're going to just go ahead and summon Future Foundation, I will prevent it.
So you were serious.
That's right, I am serious! I will do anything for the sake of my Master!
So you'd even kill...your friends?
What? Friends? Did you think I'd feel differently if you started using the word "friend"? Don't even try it... I won't be fooled.
B-But that's...horrible... I didn't mean it that way at all... I really... I really do trust you...
Hmph...

Uh oh. There seems to be a rift building between our two heroines.

Meanwhile, we cut to the Warriors of Hope, where Kurokuma is still talking.

What, you didn't think I'd still be talkin'? Well guess what? I'm stiiill talkin'!

See? I'm pretty sure that line was directly addressed to the player.

Hey by the way, when is that meat party with the pool of blood in Hell gonna start?
This is gonna be a once in a century event! I'd go even if I had to pawn off my wife for a ticket!
Hahaha! Massacre! Banzaaai!
M to the A to the motherfuckin' "ssacre"!
Oh yeah! Massacre, what an awesome word! It's downright magical! It has a great ring to it, a beat to it, the beatbox beating of my heart!

This line is actually followed by Kurokuma beatboxing. It's amazing.

Hahahaha!
So yeah anyway, Hendrix was like--

Hey, you can't stop me! I'd kill you! My *fans* would kill you! Or maybe I just have to win you over. Should I go help a granny cross the street or somethin'!?
Jeez, interjectin' into my witty banter!? You HI bastard!
Horrific (H) Idiot (I)! Hahahaha!
...Never mind, just be quiet.

Looks like despite his desire to talk, Kurokuma still has to obey when Monaca says something.

He may be our Advisor, but I really cannot stand all the noise every single time...
We already have great ideas for hurting the adults, so we can get rid of him if we want...
But we've already lost so many of our friends. Let's just keep him in silent mode, hm?

Doesn't have much to say to that.

Ufufu, you're so nice, Monaca! In that case, I have no objections!
If Monaca is fine with it...so am I.
Now, let's hear about this plan of yours, Nagisa. How are we gonna annihilate the Resistance?
Simple, really. We crush their secret base.
Huh? Did you find out where it is?

♪ BGM: Ghost Stories From the School District of Revolution

Like ants who've lost their nest, they will wander aimlessly above ground.
And in that weakened state, we crush every last one of them. The Resistance dies with them.
Oooh, Nagisa! How vulgar! If you weren't on our side, I'd totally pee my pants in fear!
Of course, we have every right to kill them. They've quite earned their fate.
Yep, yep, right! As expected of our new leader, you sure have a good plan, meow!
But, instead of "right to kill them"... Isn't it more like "duty"? We promised Big Sis Junko that the Warriors of Hope will annihilate the Demons.
Wooo wooo, Nagisa and Monaca are so vulgar! So cool!
There's no way I can lose now! I gotta work hard and hunt, hunt, hunt down those Demons!
Ufufu, even though our team is missing a few members, we're really getting pumped up!
...Right? You guys think so too, yeah?

Comin' up with that bitchin' plan, all without your Advisor? You sure have grown!
Whoops! I didn't mean like, grown like...in the adult way! You guys wouldn't like that! It's like complimentin' a ninja for standing out so much! Phew! That was a close one! Daaamn close!
Hey, why are you talking? Monaca didn't give you permission.
Aw, be easy on me, Naggy-sa! Monaca brought it up! Didn't you hear her say, "you guys think so"? Obviouslyyy I'm included in there!
Riiight Monaca!?
...Hm? I didn't mean that at all.
Dun dun duuun! Hooold up! It's true that I maaay have chatted just a little too much... But talkin' is like, my whole purpose in life! If you tell me to shut up again, I'll die! Dieee I tell ya! Probably, definitely, no, seriously gonna die!
Jeez, you're hopeless... Fine, just keep it down, okay?
Hahaha, I ain't gonna say "thank you." Aw gee, I sure hope there's no one in your group that can read minds... Don't wanna say a lie that's gonna get sniffed right out!
Hahahaha! Oh, yeah...
*sigh* Seriously...

♪ BGM: Abnormality on the Girls' Front Line

Hey, hey, hey! Where the hell've *you* been!? You totally missed my hilarious dialogue!

...Are these chestnuts properly peeled?
...I'm sorry? No, why?
What are you, nuts!?
This is downright nuts!
I asked for peeled nuts! Unpeeled nuts are like, a completely different food.
Ah, as expected of the great Miss Actress, your orders are quite detailed.

Hey, even if you're our servant... You keep bringing up ancient history and I'll kill you.
Sorry, sorry. I'll peel the nuts for you, forgive me.
...Guess I have no choice. I'll forgive you.

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

Hahaha! Good, good! Go for it!

Something, something, insert "creampie" joke here. It's like 2 AM when I'm writing this and I'm tired and can't come up with something.

Now we cut back to our two protagonists, where tensions are continuing to rise.

...It has nothing to do with you.
Nothing to do with me? You've got some nerve, saying that while doing nothing on your own!
Nothing? You think I've done nothing?
It's true that you've saved me a lot, but I've been working hard too, y'know!?
Saying that I haven't done anything, that's too far!
Hmph, what do you want? You want me to praise you? You want me to say "thank you"? Too bad. I've never praised or thanked anyone my whole life.
And that's why you don't have any friends!
...What?

... L-Leave me alone... I... I like being by myself. R-Rather than tagging along with someone like you, I'd be better off dying a solitary death...
Someone like me? Meaning what?
Someone who always has an excuse. A coward. Using that word "normal" as an excuse, always getting help from others... You're the type of person who always says, "There's nothing I can do about it," right?
You're nothing like your brother. Well, it's not like I really acknowledged him either...
Fine.

...To find Shirokuma.
You can go back to that dump if you want, it won't make any difference.
...Better than being here.

Unfortunately, I can't do that. I have my reasons...
...That doesn't make any sense at all...

Well then. Looks like tensions have reached a fever pitch between the two. Next time, we'll see how things continue on their way back to the secret base.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You can die without going into QTE mode?

Also, why does Pickles keep meowing?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Because she likes to act cute to make people underestimate her.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah. Getting blown up instead of being attacked directly just straight kills you instead of sending you to the QTE. Of course, the majority of my deaths so far have been from getting blown up or ending up in an explosion that sends Komaru flying into a pit or river or whatnot.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Like MonsterEnvy said, going "~nya" is one of Monaca's strategies to be diabetes-inducingly cute and precious on the outside while being pitch-black on the inside.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I feel a bit of dread every time we come back to Monaca's throne room, because it's gonna be something stupid and edgy.

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, so, this game is a game about child abuse. I get what they were trying to do but they really, Really, REALLY, did not stick the landing.

There's a certain amout of deniability with the first 2 kids - Masaru and Jataro are violent little shits in robots who we want to beat with our gun - but if you listen to what they say it's clear where the game's going.
The child abuse messaging might be almost useful if it encouraged vulnerable kids to seek help or something, but it doesn't. It just places obstacles in our heroine's way.

Look forward to Kotoko escalating things in inappropriate ways, as abuse victims can sometimes do in some circumstances.

Not presented in a "This poo poo is hosed up" way, but a "These are the minigames you need to deal with to finish the game" way.

The general cartoonish nature of death and destruction in this series is not up to dealing with real-life horrors.
We've already seen some very depressing journal entries, and it's only going to get worse.

My advice is - stop reading/making this LP and act like "Another Episode" doesn't exist. The rest of the series is still, generally, enjoyable if you like a weird murder mystery.
You will not get that kind of satisfaction here.

I originally bought and played the game thinking I'd get some lore I needed to understand the new anime series, but that didn't work out really.

I think I understand why the LPer is showcasing this game but I also think it's not really worth it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Not like the anime series was any better or brighter, from what I heard.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Magner, I get what you're saying but telling everyone to stop reading the thread and telling the LPer to stop playing is still very rude.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally I actually think this game, like most Dangan Ronpa games, does have something meaningful and interesting it's at least trying to say. It's just also the game that fumbles it's message the hardest, and everything about this upcoming chapter is an example of them completely failing to handle the subject matter with tact or grace at all.

The kids becoming monsters due to abuse and letting that lead to their current actions isn't inherently terrible as a premise for what the game is trying to say, it's just handled loving terribly.

So yeah, my stance is I can appreciate the message that the game wants to say, but recognise why that message is failing to be effectively conveyed or accepted by the majority of players.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

This game is overall good but there's definitely a lot to talk about.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Let's talk about it a bit!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally I actually think this game, like most Dangan Ronpa games, does have something meaningful and interesting it's at least trying to say. It's just also the game that fumbles it's message the hardest, and everything about this upcoming chapter is an example of them completely failing to handle the subject matter with tact or grace at all.

The kids becoming monsters due to abuse and letting that lead to their current actions isn't inherently terrible as a premise for what the game is trying to say, it's just handled loving terribly.

So yeah, my stance is I can appreciate the message that the game wants to say, but recognise why that message is failing to be effectively conveyed or accepted by the majority of players.

This is how I feel, and a lot of the problem is centered in the way the narrative elects to deal with abuse... in that it doesn't really deal with it at all. It exploits. It doesn't go into the mechanics of abuse, or how the histories of abuse victims inform their behavior in the present, or the effects of damage over time- it just cuts to violence and then moves on with nary a by your leave from any character, even the alleged sympathetic ones, and that's the whole problem. It wants to be deeper than this, you can tell it does, but it can't, because somethings keeps interfering- the plot, or a need to be funny to "lighten things up." It puts me in mind of Goblin Slayer, and its treatment of... well, the thing it's famous for, let's say: it is meant to be horrific, and to the credit to the original author, the light novels treat it as the horror it is and move on. The anime and manga... don't. The Act That Shall Not Be Named is used for exploitation and titillation in a manner that would be hilarious if it wasn't so horrifying, and while the damage is shown, it's not explored: the victim cannot explore their horror or examine how the tragedy affected them and grow past it, they're just put on a bus and are never seen again. Not unlike Masaru and Jotaro: they were horrible till their boss fights, and then over a single scene they were revealed to be victims of abuse, after which they were... removed. It is an approach used for exploitative melodrama, not a sober reflection of the cycle of abuse.

It's a shame, really, because you can see the authorial intent to say that abuse is bad. But when an author talks about a subject like abuse with no experience in the subject versus one who does... the difference is telling. Let me unpack this too: the author of the games and general series direction person, who's name is Kazutaka Kodaka, does care about abuse and is even knowledgeable about it, but it's a very specific, very general kind of abuse that a lot of people are familiar with: the Japanese school system. It was no accident that the setting of the three main games is a school, and that the characters involved are specialized geniuses that are referred to by the intentionally unwieldy title of "Super High-school Level": the entire point is to be a piss-take of the constant grind for perfection those students face daily in their lives, and to examine, in detail, what that does to people.* But with the wider scope of this game, we've left the school... and we have traded a general, depersonalized abuse for a highly specific, highly personal one that takes many forms and operates by different rules entirely. You can't treat one the same as the other; it feels... gross.

Also, on a personal note: having said all that... I am glad that TheMcD is showing this game to the forum. For all of the parts that it does poorly, there are also parts that it does well (namely all of the stuff with Komaru and Toko and their relationship; one of Kodaka's great strengths as a writer is smaller scenes with two people), and even the stuff that went poorly should be discussed as to why it went poorly. And well... one hears about a game like this, and for folks like me, who are plagued with both a morbid curiosity and schadenfreude enough to appreciate a good trainwreck... there's an itch there, that only a good LP can alleviate without also spending money on a game you're not sure should be supported. So thank you, OP. :)

*Namely, that it breaks them; grinds them down to a nub until they feel there's no choice but to become a heartless monster or a nervous wreck if you want any kind of job, ever. This work is very much in the same vein as Koushun Takami's Battle Royale, in showing the disdain of society to teenagers and how burdensome the weight of expectation could be. That was what made Monokuma such a popular, well realized character: it wasn't the grossness or even the murder that people liked, it was the immediate feeling that such a character, and the situation invoked. Trapped in a place where the only authority is a fluffy cartoon mascot that tells you, in a most grandmotherly tone (remember, the original voice actress was Doraemon herself) that the only way to escape is to succeed in an impossible, monstrous task, or else die... It's enough to invoke, oh, you know that feeling, starts with a D, help me out here...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I agree with all of this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Magner posted:

My advice is - stop reading/making this LP and act like "Another Episode" doesn't exist. The rest of the series is still, generally, enjoyable if you like a weird murder mystery.
You will not get that kind of satisfaction here.

Hey how about you don't. I for one wanna see what the end of it is. I went through Twisted I can certainly go through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, looks like Komaru and Toko are really pissed at each other, and now we're heading back to the secret base for lack of a better idea of where to go.

Here we have another collectible.

Better healing, always welcome.

Somehow, things seem different on the way back. I don't recall there being a Monoku-Man room to the left, and the fact that the way I came from doesn't exist anymore is a bit strange as well. Oh well, guess we might as well just head into the puzzle room.

But not before picking up some sparkles.

We are going through these Hidden Kids pretty fast. This chapter is fairly short compared to the last one, actually - I got through this one in a single session, whereas the last one I needed two sessions for. The rate at which we find Hidden Kids is a pretty good indicator of how far in the chapter we are. Anyway, now, the puzzle room.

♪ BGM: Riddle Land

♪ BGM: It's a Monokuma World

Basically, the gimmick of this area is that we have multiple Monoku-Man rooms chained together that we have to get through. There's no "labyrinth" per se - you can't get lost or anything like that. So let's start with the first puzzle.

This is back to the fairly easy puzzles. There's two hologram machines, and you have to Move the one behind the Guards so that the Bomber moves behind them as well. Then you kill the Bomber so his explosion then takes out all the Guards.

Like so.

And with that done, we now have to explore the room, because like the last few rooms from Chapter 2, these puzzle rooms have some cool designs. So these rooms are based around the Dragon Quest-like inspiration the Warriors of Hope took for their "class names". So here's Monaca, the Mage.

Here's Kotoko, the Fighter.

Here's Masaru, the Hero.

Here's Jataro, the Priest.

And finally, here's Nagisa, the Sage.

Moving on to the next room, we get another arcade machine.

This one is a fuckup hazard...

...because it involves using a car to kill the enemies. The basic strategy is to lure the Siren to the hologram, then hit it with Dance to attract all the other ones, then Move the car to crash into all of them. Let's see if I can not gently caress this up.

Hit the Siren with Dance...

...and then just hit the car with Move and hope for the best.

And apparently it worked!

This room has some weird Slime-like creatures on the walls...

...pictures of Masaru, Kotoko and Monaca fighting them...

...and Nagisa and Jataro hanging out in the back row or something like that.

In the next room, we have our final Monoku-Man arcade machine of the labyrinth.

But first, a collectible.

I'm not so sure about that.

Now, time for the last puzzle.

This one's a bit tricky, if only because "destroy them all with one explosion" is a bit of an unclear instruction compared to what you're actually supposed to do.

Because what you are supposed to do is shoot the middle Bomber. The explosion from that Bomber then blasts the other two Bombers over to the regular Monokumas and blows them up.

And success!

With us having made it through the labyrinth, we can now claim our reward.

♪ Jingle: Truth Bullet GET!

It's a new Truth Bullet!

It appears you have obtained Paralyze. Paralyze is a Truth Bullet that shorts out Monokumas' electrical systems. Also, enemies hit by that ammo discharge electricity, damaging nearby enemies! And to top it off, if the enemy happens to be standing in water... The electricity will damage all enemies touching the water! You understand science, right? Go on, give it a try! Wipe them all out in one shot!

Are you still going to run away, even with all your weapons? Still think you can't fight?
I'm not doing this because I *want* to...

Now, before we leave, let's take a closer look at this room.

We have the Warriors of Hope walking together - note the blushing Nagisa.

The Warriors of Hope arrive at a castle.

They find a dragon...

...the Hero approaches to fight the dragon...

...and the group emerges triumphant over the dragon.

With the dragon defeated, the heroes can rescue the captured queen.

And thus, the happy end is achieved, and the queen rules once more. That queen sure does look a bit familiar, doesn't she...

Also, I see your sparkles, Nagisa.

There we go.

Also, another collectible!

...You want it?
O-Of course not! What a stupid book! Everything will turn out fine between me and Master! He'll wait for me!
"Think everything is going to turn out fine?"
Ugh!
"Act before it's too late. That son of a noble family isn't going to wait for you."
Ughhh!
...So you sure you don't want this?
I said I don't want it! Even if I were locked in jail, I wouldn't read that garbage!
Okay, if you say so...
... ...So who's the publisher?
What's that?
I-I'm asking what kind of awful publisher would print this nonsense!

Next, we head outside. Looks like there's somebody to talk to.

Future Foundation is behind this whole thing. The kids, the Monokumas, everything. The incident has been calming down, and Future Foundation is losing influence. They're probably trying to regain power by causing a problem and taking credit for the solution.
What!? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Of course they aren't!
What, you know that for sure? I've also heard the whole Tragedy was their doing. Either way, those guys are *not* to be trusted.
You've gotta be kidding me! I-If Future Foundation shows up to rescue the adults, I better not see you asking for help!
Hmph. It'll never happen.

To the left, behind some crates, hides another collectible.

Socking? As in "Monaca socked Kotoko in the face a few scenes ago"? Socki will beat the poo poo out of all the other socks and proclaim his dominance? This is a strange kids' book.

Next, we take Paralyze out for a spin. So here we can see that one shot on the one in the middle also hits the other surrounding ones, and it does take out all three at once.

Then we shoot these guys standing in the water...

...and take out all of these guys as well. So Paralyze can be useful in certain situations, but with my obsessions over Nice Shots, I probably won't be using it a lot.

After that, it's time for another Monoku-Man room - the last one of the chapter, in fact.

Let's get to it.

This one is a pretty simple one again. It's just a matter of recognizing which hologram device is standing in water connected to the water the Guards are standing in, then turning that device on so that the regular Monokuma is lured over, then shooting that Monokuma with Paralyze.

Like so!

This room has a design that retells the story of the frog prince with Jataro as the prince and Junko as the princess, but I can't really put the pieces together in the right order this time.

After exiting the room, we're back at the area before the graveyard.

The path we took towards Towa Tower in Chapter 2 is broken, but there's a collectible there!

More items! Of course that doesn't apply when you get a Nice Shot, since that is fixed to drop a gold Monocoin, so the usefulness of this is somewhat questionable, but whatever, we have all the skill points in the world, we don't need to strategically pick skills, we can just equip all of them.

The game drops some Monokumas in my path that don't move with the idea probably being that I kill the Bomber and let him blow up the others for items, but, well, I don't play like that.

There's also a shop nearby.

We buy all of these Bling Bullets because gently caress it, why not.

We also blow all of our remaining money on Genocide Jack upgrades. Because of reasons. I like that I'm not even through Chapter 3 and I can almost max out almost all of Genocide Jack's upgrades and buy all of the Bling Bullets. Nice Shots and the hardest difficulty are some good poo poo. Loadsamoney.

Next, we're heading back through the graveyard, picking up some more collectibles on the way.

Uh... yeah.

Also, dealing with another Junk Monokuma.

And another collectible!

These are just always so bizarre.

Next, it's back into the sewers.

Some Guard Monokumas to deal with, but nothing we can't handle.

Another collectible!

More Future Foundation-hating. Man, the adults here are really down on Future Foundation.

Finally, some more sparkles.

Hey, we got all of the Hidden Kids collected this time.

And here we are, back at the secret base. Next time, we return to the Resistance and see what awaits our heroes there.