Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Animal-Mother posted:

So here's maybe a weird question: Should cooks with terrible hearing go find something else to do for a living or should I spend the rest of my working life apologizing porque no escucho bien? I'm not an idiot. I just can't loving hear you. Kitchen environments can get very noisy and some people habitually speak very softly. No esta bien para mi.

Know of any successful half-deaf cooks?

i've heard of one second hand, but i never worked with her. a lot of it was on her co-workers to make they either were close and loud or at an angle where she could read their lips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

So here's maybe a weird question: Should cooks with terrible hearing go find something else to do for a living or should I spend the rest of my working life apologizing porque no escucho bien? I'm not an idiot. I just can't loving hear you. Kitchen environments can get very noisy and some people habitually speak very softly. No esta bien para mi.

Know of any successful half-deaf cooks?

Get good at prep

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pile of brown posted:

Get good at prep

Or pick up baking. It's usually solo, so less worries.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Sweet Custom Van posted:

So I have never worked in a real professional kitchen, other than a coffee/sandwich shop where I washed dishes in high school. I have loads of accounting and income tax experience, though, and as a favor to a friend I agreed to take a look at how his parents are doing their accounting for their small family restaurant.

It, uh, it turns out that they’re basically not. They have a box they throw receipts in and they write personal checks for payroll based on multiplying the hours on a handwritten paper time card by their hourly wage. There is no attempt to determine food cost
In volume, this is basically the industry standard. The good news is managerial accounting is piss simple. I'd pitch it as "performing any amount of menu engineering will net you thousands of dollars."

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
After 10 years in the industry a combo of the hood and loud music have me slightly on the less able to hear side of things. I switched to being a workshop teacher which isn’t a bad thing at all but I’m super careful to make sure I wear earpro whenever I’m using anything noisy and on occasions when the students are using the same kit.
The longer I can go without going deaf the better cause I’m only in my early 30’s now and the amount of old guys who are mostly deaf is a little astounding but also understandable when you seeing them using the table saw or something else without any kind of nod to earpro.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a great restaurant in San Francisco called Mozzeria that has an all-deaf staff, including the owners. Even the people that do repairs and installations are deaf.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a great restaurant in San Francisco called Mozzeria that has an all-deaf staff, including the owners. Even the people that do repairs and installations are deaf.

never heard of it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Stringent posted:

never heard of it.

:drat:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Stringent posted:

never heard of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm finally getting a chance to do what I want, and I'm too loving scared to take a shot at it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Stringent posted:

never heard of it.
:frogc00l:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Like is it possible for a mildly autistic person to be an expeditor / line cook.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Most cooks I've known are goofballs/weirdos to varying degrees (I include myself here) so I think you'll do fine.

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.

Stringent posted:

never heard of it.

:allears:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

kittenmittons posted:

Like is it possible for a mildly autistic person to be an expeditor / line cook.

Yes.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I think you *have* to be mildly autistic to cook for a living.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
A large percentage of the industry has ADHD and aren't aware because the variety in your work day tends to mitigate the boredom/restlessness that comes with ADHD.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Thoht posted:

Most cooks I've known are goofballs/weirdos to varying degrees (I include myself here) so I think you'll do fine.

This is the primary reason I love being in a kitchen. We're all mad here.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
So my offer letter says I need to be scheduled 40 hours a week and complete xyz task. So far I've been around 43 and also do all task on top of it. I get that running a kitchen on salary is a loosing idea but at what point do I need to be like uhhh pay me? Is going to the store which is an extra feq hours a week, doing paperwork etc. How do yall factor that in? I want to do a few days at another spot to expand my skills but they said I need to be 40 hours a week here. Kinda quieted up when I asked is that scheduled hours or everything.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kittenmittons posted:

Given the number of burnouts on various chemical habits who do it? Sure. Probably a stressful job, though, as poo poo will never go exactly right. They might be more comfortable in prep.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

ApolloSuna posted:

So my offer letter says I need to be scheduled 40 hours a week and complete xyz task. So far I've been around 43 and also do all task on top of it. I get that running a kitchen on salary is a loosing idea but at what point do I need to be like uhhh pay me? Is going to the store which is an extra feq hours a week, doing paperwork etc. How do yall factor that in? I want to do a few days at another spot to expand my skills but they said I need to be 40 hours a week here. Kinda quieted up when I asked is that scheduled hours or everything.

Depending on your state and your salary you might be entitled to overtime pay.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

kittenmittons posted:

Thoht posted:

I've been "retired" for a while, but I worked with an autistic cook at my last restaurant job. I didn't even realize it at first; he was within the normal range of weirdness that you'd see from any cook (but probably toward the edge of that range). Dude was a hell of a cook...I still go eat there once in a while, and if I see him in the kitchen I know I'm gonna get a drat fine burger. This is at a smallish place that usually only has one cook working at a time, so YMMV at a bigger/busier place.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

After 10 years in the industry a combo of the hood and loud music have me slightly on the less able to hear side of things. I switched to being a workshop teacher which isn’t a bad thing at all but I’m super careful to make sure I wear earpro whenever I’m using anything noisy and on occasions when the students are using the same kit.
The longer I can go without going deaf the better cause I’m only in my early 30’s now and the amount of old guys who are mostly deaf is a little astounding but also understandable when you seeing them using the table saw or something else without any kind of nod to earpro.

I'm 30 and I picked up a constant ringing in my ears. I've gotten insistent on taking breaks when I'm at jobs where I'm told it's allowed/encouraged, even if they start grumbling at me (I don't take them at bad times, obviously). I just need to get away from the hood fans and loud fridges or the noise overload coupled with tinnitus gives me just these vicious brain explosions.

JoshGuitar posted:

I've been "retired" for a while, but I worked with an autistic cook at my last restaurant job. I didn't even realize it at first; he was within the normal range of weirdness that you'd see from any cook (but probably toward the edge of that range). Dude was a hell of a cook...I still go eat there once in a while, and if I see him in the kitchen I know I'm gonna get a drat fine burger. This is at a smallish place that usually only has one cook working at a time, so YMMV at a bigger/busier place.

I've worked with a few that I know of and they each had their own specific quirks, but they were typically just as good as any co-worker. I never really noticed any issues except for one. An autistic cook was largely the reason why I left a recent job. He was 100% confirmed on the spectrum, but was a very outgoing person. He would start talking from the moment he walked in and not stop for the entire day (this isn't even slightly exaggeration). He couldn't pick up on cues when you just needed him to stop talking because "I'm trying to work," or "I'm trying to walk to a different place, stop tying me down" or something. He was also kind of a hick and would not leave any details of his relationships with his trashy wife and trashy ex-wife to the imagination. Then when he'd get mad, he would go on for minutes. The worst was people ordering after about 1pm. He'd just start going on about "go the gently caress home, lunch is loving over. loving idiots. Go home." those three lines would repeat every time a ticket came in. I worked with him every day. I realize he couldn't control certain aspects of it, and he generally meant well, but it was just one of the major issues that I couldn't stand about the place.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

quote:

I've worked with a few that I know of and they each had their own specific quirks, but they were typically just as good as any co-worker. I never really noticed any issues except for one. An autistic cook was largely the reason why I left a recent job. He was 100% confirmed on the spectrum, but was a very outgoing person. He would start talking from the moment he walked in and not stop for the entire day (this isn't even slightly exaggeration). He couldn't pick up on cues when you just needed him to stop talking because "I'm trying to work," or "I'm trying to walk to a different place, stop tying me down" or something. He was also kind of a hick and would not leave any details of his relationships with his trashy wife and trashy ex-wife to the imagination. Then when he'd get mad, he would go on for minutes. The worst was people ordering after about 1pm. He'd just start going on about "go the gently caress home, lunch is loving over. loving idiots. Go home." those three lines would repeat every time a ticket came in. I worked with him every day. I realize he couldn't control certain aspects of it, and he generally meant well, but it was just one of the major issues that I couldn't stand about the place.

gently caress me that sounds like my manager.
Even in the interview I couldn't get her to shut the gently caress up. Making sense? Yes. In context of what we are discussing? NO! It's so very difficult to get her to shut up without appearing rude so I let her go on and on and on.
So she gets the job. Is good at it, but does she ever not shut up on even the tiniest of in's to a convo? No way, takes over and it's as if we are a mother's or book club or some poo poo.
I have been rude, I have been blunt, but she gives not one poo poo.
Gah!

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 20, 2018

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm normally not super talkative but when the kitchen is cranking I will just have a stream of mindless chatter... Most of the time I'm not even paying attention to it myself

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Enjoy cooking for the family for the holidays. Do not enjoy people getting in my way of getting tasks done quickly so I can make little pockets of time to play Smash. :fsn:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Plan Z posted:

The first thing I thought of when reading this was Kitchen Confidential and the stories of Adam Real last name unknown.

Guy was a baking savant, and would spiral out of control in weird ways but at the end of the day on his highs made the best baked goods theoretically possible. One of the most memorable lines from that book was when Bourdain was visiting a friend's restaurant, tasted the bread and then turned and said "You hired Adam, didn't you" and the chef kind of shamefaced smiled and admitted it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Is everyone still alive? Did we all drink ourselves to death on Xmas because it's the one day a year we close? :ohdear:

There's a place hiring that seems interested in me, but holy crap their menu has like 5,782 items on it. If there's one thing St. Ramsay has taught me through binge watching Kitchen Nightmares UK (US version sucks) while I've been home sick and had a couple days off is that having a giant, discombobulated menu is a train wreck. I've never eaten there, so I can't speak for the quality yet. It's a $$$ on Yelp, $12 apps and $22-30 entrees, if it doesn't just say "market price".

I can post a link to the menu, unless y'all think that a bad idea, doxx-wise. It's seriously a weird mish mash of Italian, Brazilian, seafood, and... As Gordon would say, not so much fusion as confusion. Food looks delicious, I want to eat 99% of the stuff on there, but I'm a little spooked by the scale of it all.

Thoughts?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

If it's a big enough place that they have an 8 person line on a Tuesday, a big menu isn't necessarily a terrible thing. It usually is, but it doesn't always mean the place is a trailer fire. If there's only 80 seats and two guys working Friday night dinner rush, then 100% half the menu is frozen and thrown in a microwave to order and you probably don't want to deal with that?

There's no harm in checking it out.

Also, happy holidays (or lack thereof) industry goons. I think I told the thread that I'm catering now. It's so loving easy. Everyone should either cater or go work in IT. My job is basically half and half those things and it's nice. Real nice.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

As long as everything is made from a mostly-shared pool of ingredients or otherwise isn't going bad before it sells.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Naelyan posted:

There's no harm in checking it out.

Also, happy holidays (or lack thereof) industry goons. I think I told the thread that I'm catering now. It's so loving easy. Everyone should either cater or go work in IT. My job is basically half and half those things and it's nice. Real nice.

Oh, yeah, I'm still gonna check it out and interview, but assuming I'm going in during the usual 2-4pm time, I'm not gonna see what the kitchen actually runs like during service. Just curious what experiences other folks have had with ginormous menus. Most of my experience is deli, short order, and a little fine dining where the menu had 5 apps and 8 entrees, so seeing a menu that has 5 entrees just under the "veal" section alone was kinda "whoa, hang on a minute".

It's a bit of my self confidence issues, too. :( Not sure I could hack that, unless it's a well-oiled machine of a brigade.

If I have multiple offers on the table (there's another place I may have an in with and am waiting to hear back), would it be improper to ask to shadow a kitchen for one shift before deciding? If I was a KM, I'd allow it, no sense wasting my time and management doing paperwork if they don't feel like it's a good fit and they're just gonna no show the next day after they've slept on it. Seen that happen all too often at my current place.

Also catering sounds nice. We do some catering at my place, and I always liked those orders. I'll take a 150 biscuit catering job with advance notice and a set delivery time, over someone just walking in and ordering 12 chicken biscuits like we're loving Chik-fail-a (<--- my autocorrect does that, and I like it that way)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
A place I worked at a few years ago had a breakfast, lunch and dinner menu that were all about three times bigger than they should have been. It took a small army of prep and line cooks to operate it somewhat efficiently and the owner was constantly freaking out about our labor costs even though he refused to make any changes to the menu.

So long story short it can work if you throw enough labor at it but it's generally not a good working environment.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If I have multiple offers on the table (there's another place I may have an in with and am waiting to hear back), would it be improper to ask to shadow a kitchen for one shift before deciding? If I was a KM, I'd allow it, no sense wasting my time and management doing paperwork if they don't feel like it's a good fit and they're just gonna no show the next day after they've slept on it. Seen that happen all too often at my current place.

I don't know how they do it where you're at, but here on the west coast I wouldn't dream of taking a position before having done at least one stage there. I also wouldn't dream of hiring someone before they'd done the same.

It's a general practice for cooks who have 'gotten serious' about their work to stage at restaurants regardless of whether they're looking for work. It helps broaden your perspective of what's out there and what you could be doing better, and you learn new tricks and make friends along the way.

Edit: Speaking of which. I've heard they outlawed the stage in NY. Any NY cooks/chefs care to weigh in on whether that's actually happened/how it's affected things over there?

The one true heezy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 28, 2018

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
True stages are illegal where I work (Ontario) as well, so when I have someone come in for a trial shift, I just pay them. I personally like having people come in over a lunch that's not Friday so they can see the line in action (and I can see how they are around it) but it's also not crazy busy, so the shifts are usually 12-3 or so. Then I just hand them $45 on their way out, whether I offer them a job or not. It's such a small cost to be a decent human being and not break labour laws. And the places that get things done by having two people in 4 days a week working for free under the pretext of "staging" need to gently caress off and die already.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Naelyan is handling this correctly, laws or not. I don't have much to add other than to say good on ya, dude.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If any place asks you to show your work outside of a portfolio or a quick "5 minute do this" session is a place that will gently caress you over down the line. Any time they ask for more than 5 minutes of unpaid labor is the moment that they are not worth your time.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm also of the opinion that if you're doing anything that can benefit the restaurant, you should 100% be paid for your time. If someone is working a small part of the line, doing a batch prep job, or helping plate food that goes out to guests, you're making money off their labour, and they should be compensated. About the only time I haven't offered someone compensation for putting on a coat and spending time in the kitchen is when I've got someone interviewing for a senior sous or higher position, and I bring them in on a Sunday (when we're closed) and give them free reign of the kitchen to make 2-3 plates worth of "show me what you'd do for a Friday night feature". Something like that is a legitimate part of the interview process (IT/CS gives coding tests, etc) and the restaurant is not financially benefiting from it. Otherwise though, how bad does that restaurant really need $45 or $80 or whatever worth of free labour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah, all good advice. Furthermore, I believe that the new (american) laws dealing with unpaid internships are directly affecting how businesses deal with stages.

Its super crucial to see someone's work ethic in motion, and its also super crucial to pay your employees that make you money. Really, if you don't get the stage/pay off on the right foot its a mark against a modern business, and something I would judge the leadership for when applying.