Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TheReverend posted:

Proposed Budget: 40K give or take.
New or Used: New or slightly used( < 22 k miles or so)
Body Style: Sedan or Coupe.
How will you be using the car?: Mostly driving 9 miles to work. Getting groceries. Occasional trips to see different sets of family about an hour away (30 - 50 miles).
What aspects are most important to you? I want a car that I like to drive and is also reliable. I'm thinking either luxury or sporty but not sure. I'll give some examples of cars I've recently test driven and what I thought. Maybe goons can help me get my life in order!

Summary: I used to drive 130 miles a day to get to work. Now I drive less than 20 (rounds tip totals).
Currently have a Prius (thanks for the recommendation, thread). It works. It has 150K miles on it but I'm not exactly thrilled with it as it's a very utilitarian car. I'll probably keep driving it until expensive repairs are needed but I'm wondering "what's next?". I haven't had a car I liked in a while so I'm investigating.

Some of this may also be "pre midlife crisis" as there is a baby on the way. So I'll need a car I can put a baby seat in. I guess this means no Corvettes?

I recently test drove:

* Model 3: Holy gently caress did I enjoy this car. Only problem is that it's pretty pricey, and I'm afraid by the time the 35K dollar one rolls around it'll be gimped. The one I test drove was the Extended range and I loved all the tech and the torque available at any speed.

* Mustang GT: I'm a big ole goon and I'm surprised by how much room was in the driver's seat. Accelerated like a boss but with some hard shifts. I think it had all the minimal features I'd want but with 450 hp or something ridiculous.

* ES350: Not sure what's the difference between this and a nice trim Avalon? meh.

* GS350: A little bit more fun than the ES I guess?!

* Honda Accord Touring V6: Yeah it's a car alright... HUD is kinda neat.

My commute is rather bland. Either traffic heavy highways or traffic heavy background. Usually only takes 15- 20 minutes to get there in the AM and 20- 25 in the PM. I guess having a fuckoff powerful car doesn't make sense as I'm not going faster than 35 - 45 ? So maybe something more luxurious?

Or maybe I shouldn't try to find excitement in happiness in a car and just find better hobbies?!

I don't know. I do know I digged that Model 3 though. Would it last past the first 90 days? Seems like a bit of a gamble.

This is my E/N car post I guess!

I'd say having a fuckoff powerful car makes the most sense on a shorter commute. You could get a S5 coupé for that money, as an alternative to what you've identified already. I had a similar dilemma, I wanted something sporty-ish but basically for commuting and bought a TTS. While it's a great car if you're a big lad you probably won't fit too well.

Something like this looks in budget.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=496040199

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I've been avoiding German cars because I hear stories about how expensive they are to keep running. Is VW/Audi better in that regard compared to BMW/Mercedes?

Because that car does look nice!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You should probably get better hobbies. All your commuting and travel needs can be satisfied with a used Nissan Leaf, supposing you have a place to charge it. Those are like what, $8k now? Save the other $32k for Gokarts or a dirtbike or something actually fun instead of sitting in traffic in an unreliable Audi.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Save the other $32k for Gokarts or a dirtbike or something actually fun instead of sitting in traffic in an unreliable Audi.

Why sit in traffic when you can go around?

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2018-Ducati-1299-Panigale-R-Final-Edition-5002013501

Or if you insist on sitting in traffic, do it in a $200k super car.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=500339795

Edit: All joking aside, the Genesis G70 is a great alternative to the Stinger that I forgot about. I'd have considered it if it was out when I got mine. Has less on the hood, though - you can easily get into a GT-2 with all the goodies for around 40k if you haggle.

A scat pack would be fun, but even the R/T feels too heavy to throw around and I really don't find chargers very comfortable/luxurious.

I had the Infiniti Q50 (300hp version) as a rental and I wasn't impressed. It still felt like a Nissan and didn't even have Android auto or heated seats standard. :cmon:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 17, 2018

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Throwing in a vote for the Avalon. It's what I would have gotten if money were no object.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

An F-350 crew cab longbed with dualies. Nothing says mid-life crisis more than a 22' long pickup used for commuting and nothing else.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TheReverend posted:

I've been avoiding German cars because I hear stories about how expensive they are to keep running. Is VW/Audi better in that regard compared to BMW/Mercedes?

Because that car does look nice!

I think other people on here have more wide experience than me but I don't think you should have reservations in terms of reliability with an Audi that's a couple of years old. I read on here that in the US they are not considered as reliable as American cars, I live in a country where at a guess 50% of cars are German and it's not like cars are constantly going wrong all over the shop.

I am sure a supercharged 4wd Audi will cost more to service than a Mustang though.

To be honest I think you should ignore both running costs and your impending child and get an F-type https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=497315567

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheReverend posted:

* Honda Accord Touring V6: Yeah it's a car alright... HUD is kinda neat.

I gotta say I am suprised you found the Accord v6 disappointing, its a great car. If a top of the line non-luxury car doesn't do it for you, I guess you are going to have to go either super american muscle and get a Mustang GT or Camaro SS, otherwise you should be shopping a Benz C Class or Audi A6 or BMW if you want to go the luxury route.

Because yeah, Accord v6 and similiar is some of the best "normal" cars out there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
mazda6 turbo maybe

knox_harrington posted:

I think other people on here have more wide experience than me but I don't think you should have reservations in terms of reliability with an Audi that's a couple of years old. I read on here that in the US they are not considered as reliable as American cars, I live in a country where at a guess 50% of cars are German and it's not like cars are constantly going wrong all over the shop.

I am sure a supercharged 4wd Audi will cost more to service than a Mustang though.

To be honest I think you should ignore both running costs and your impending child and get an F-type https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=497315567

if you're fine being more meticulous about routine service and paying more money to do so, and if you're fine with poo poo breaking more often and paying money to fix it, sport/luxury nazimobiles are fine. most people do not fit these categories.

the odds of poo poo going catastrophically wrong are higher even if you are meticulous as an extra :fuckoff:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

I gotta say I am suprised you found the Accord v6 disappointing, its a great car. If a top of the line non-luxury car doesn't do it for you, I guess you are going to have to go either super american muscle and get a Mustang GT or Camaro SS, otherwise you should be shopping a Benz C Class or Audi A6 or BMW if you want to go the luxury route.

Because yeah, Accord v6 and similiar is some of the best "normal" cars out there.

That's a bit dismissive. The V6 hasn't been available since the 2017 model year, anyways. I'm not surprised a sub-300hp FWD full-size sedan didn't set their world on fire for 35 grand. I wouldn't be interested in one either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

accord 2.0/6 sport by all accounts is pretty fun and is like 30k with all the toys

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

accord 2.0/6 sport by all accounts is pretty fun and is like 30k with all the toys

This is absolutely what I'd buy today if I was in the market for a brand new commuter that could double as a family vehicle on the weekends and/or occasional roadtrip machine.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Hello thread. Because other people like to hit parked cars that I own, help.

Proposed Budget: ~$30k tops.
New or Used: New is probably better; will see heavy use.
Body Style: Crossover or small SUV
How will you be using the car?: Minimum 100-mile round trip work commute, mostly Interstate/highway, and roadtrips up to 18 hours for vacations. Little bit of everything else. Hauling pets.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: I guess yes? I don't need everything under the sun, but heated seats are nice, and good cruise control plus a lot of the driver safety stuff to prevent you from drifting lanes or going off the road aren't bad ideas for me. Also, leather interiors, because fur.
What aspects are most important to you?:
1) Reliability; I want to be driving this thing for a thousand miles a week until I hafta do this again, preferably in the distant future.
2) Comfortable, enjoyable driving; because I'm in the thing a lot. I'll probably wind up sleeping in it a couple times a year.
3) MPG and other costs; having more dollars for me is nice, but tertiary to the above.
RE: looks, as long as it isn't white or black we're in business.

I test-drove a RAV4 today and it was fine. Planning to at least drive an Escape and a CR-V on Friday. Off the top of my head I know there's not a Subaru dealership inside an hour of home, so maintaining a Forester might be a little rough? That's about all I've got.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

thread favorite Mazda CX-5, which is where my money would go if I had to buy a new ~25K crossover

your driving is mostly highway so hybrids don't have as significant an advantage but the RAV4 hybrid is probably a decent choice since toyota hybrid powertrain is bulletproof

the chevrolet equinox and related things are fairly decent, i would certainly prefer that over the Escape

and can I suggest moving

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kyoon have you driven the new Tiguan? The CX5 is definitely top of the list for the SO, but the deals on leftover 2018s is pretty attractive.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

thread favorite Mazda CX-5, which is where my money would go if I had to buy a new ~25K crossover

your driving is mostly highway so hybrids don't have as significant an advantage but the RAV4 hybrid is probably a decent choice since toyota hybrid powertrain is bulletproof

the chevrolet equinox and related things are fairly decent, i would certainly prefer that over the Escape

and can I suggest moving

Appreciate the feedback!

I can give a CX-5 a spin and take a pass on the Escape, that doesn't bother me at all.

Unfortunately, while moving would make this commute shorter, it might make the next one longer. Where I'm at, I'd probably only hafta drive the one hour to get anywhere I'm likely to work at. :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zwingley posted:

Hello thread. Because other people like to hit parked cars that I own, help.

Proposed Budget: ~$30k tops.
New or Used: New is probably better; will see heavy use.
Body Style: Crossover or small SUV
How will you be using the car?: Minimum 100-mile round trip work commute, mostly Interstate/highway, and roadtrips up to 18 hours for vacations. Little bit of everything else. Hauling pets.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: I guess yes? I don't need everything under the sun, but heated seats are nice, and good cruise control plus a lot of the driver safety stuff to prevent you from drifting lanes or going off the road aren't bad ideas for me. Also, leather interiors, because fur.
What aspects are most important to you?:
1) Reliability; I want to be driving this thing for a thousand miles a week until I hafta do this again, preferably in the distant future.
2) Comfortable, enjoyable driving; because I'm in the thing a lot. I'll probably wind up sleeping in it a couple times a year.
3) MPG and other costs; having more dollars for me is nice, but tertiary to the above.
RE: looks, as long as it isn't white or black we're in business.

I test-drove a RAV4 today and it was fine. Planning to at least drive an Escape and a CR-V on Friday. Off the top of my head I know there's not a Subaru dealership inside an hour of home, so maintaining a Forester might be a little rough? That's about all I've got.

Do you want or do you think you need a cuv?
Because other than not being a CUV, a prius checks all your boxes unless you're tall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

Because other than not being a CUV, a prius checks all your boxes unless you're tall.

I don't find the Prius to be a particularly pleasant freeway car as it's a bit noisy and you feel the lack of power at speed, plus you lose some of the fuel economy edge. It's still really good, but at that point I would pick something better.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Kyoon have you driven the new Tiguan? The CX5 is definitely top of the list for the SO, but the deals on leftover 2018s is pretty attractive.

friends don't let friends buy VAG product - if you can get a good lease deal that's fine, but the Tiguan is not a car that you are going to drive in to the ground

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

nm posted:

Fair ask. We have a perfectly serviceable 2013 Scion already, and it'll probably still be kicking by the time I've driven whatever I buy into the ground. I just don't like driving it. My last cars were a 2006 Civic Hybrid--when I was just a student--and a 2012 Focus, which got me to this point, and while I liked them more, they could still feel a little small. Just having more room in the car is a really nice thing, for passengers, trips, pets, and sometimes just me.

To answer your question properly: I want a CUV, because while I haven't needed one up to this point, having one will be useful as hell, and I anticipate that I will enjoy driving one more.

e:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't find the Prius to be a particularly pleasant freeway car as it's a bit noisy and you feel the lack of power at speed, plus you lose some of the fuel economy edge. It's still really good, but at that point I would pick something better.

Noise and lack of power were both issues in the Focus after my commute became what it is, yeah.

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 17, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i strongly prefer a midsize or larger sedan to a compact CUV for long highway driving but i really find CUVs kind of weird and dumb to begin with

if I were in your shoes I would either buy a Honda Accord or a Mazda6

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i strongly prefer a midsize or larger sedan to a compact CUV for long highway driving but i really find CUVs kind of weird and dumb to begin with

Agreed. Long wheelbases really help and cuvs have comparatively short wheelbase v. The same price car.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Understandable, but I'm pretty confident the CUV will pay dividends enough outside my daily commute.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How many years do you see yourself keeping this next vehicle?

I wouldn't be worried about maintaining a Tiguan over 5 years, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are the type of guy that would want to keep their purchase for 10+ years.

However, if you could get a similar spec Tiguan for 5 grand less than a CRV or whatever, its worth considering.

I'd throw the Hyundai Tucson into your test drive list, might be able to find a good deal there. Otherwise if build quality and driver safety features are your biggest consideration, Toyota will be your best choice even if the Rav4 feels quite pedestrian.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

zapplez posted:

How many years do you see yourself keeping this next vehicle?

I wouldn't be worried about maintaining a Tiguan over 5 years, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are the type of guy that would want to keep their purchase for 10+ years.

And if you could get a similiar spec Tiguan for 5 grand less than a CRV or whatever, its worth considering.

I'd throw the Hyundai Tucson into your test drive list, might be able to find a good deal there. Otherwise if build quality and driver safety features are your biggest consideration, Toyota will be your best choice even if the Rav4 feels quite pedestrian.

Until it dies or gets wrecked, really. Plan is for us to move pretty much across the country in around 7 years, so a little before or after that I'll probably hafta reevaluate, but ideally this'll last me somewhat past that move.

Sorry if my use of "fine" for the RAV4 put anyone off; I meant more that, if I were in a more time-sensitive situation, I don't think I'd regret going ahead and buying it today. I don't have much basis for comparison beyond a 2003 Honda Pilot when it comes to driving anything larger than a sedan, so I can't really rank the RAV4 against anything yet, either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

"fine" is objectively the best way to describe the RAV4. i don't think anyone is offended by that or put off, there's just nothing in your use case that indicates "should buy CUV vs not CUV" and the regulars are always just in to throwing ideas out there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Tiguan is not a car that you are going to drive in to the ground

Sure you can. It just so happens they start out closer to the ground than non-VAG options.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"fine" is objectively the best way to describe the RAV4. i don't think anyone is offended by that or put off, there's just nothing in your use case that indicates "should buy CUV vs not CUV" and the regulars are always just in to throwing ideas out there.

Also fair enough. My rental is a 2018 Malibu, and I'll be driving that until I buy something, so I'll reconsider my angle over the next couple of days.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

Sure you can. It just so happens they start out closer to the ground than non-VAG options.

I'm also not terribly convinced 2018 VWs like Tiguan or Passat have a big difference in reliability versus most of the industry (minus Toyota) these days. Keyword 2018. VW's passenger car quality has improved immensely in the last 10 years. All the non-terrible car brands seem to be within like 10-20% of each other in failures and it comes down to specific models and specific years.

The parts will cost more, and the scheduled maintenance and technicians are pricier though. But its not the same old VW issues as 2003 when suddenly your Golf would just explode.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Even if the quality has improved by leaps and bounds, VW still does stupid poo poo like plastic oil pans, though.

I'm still strangely attracted to the idea of a Golf Alltrack with a 6MT, though, before such an animal disappears forever soon. That new 6yr/72k mile warranty allays some fears of getting stuck with a total lemon, too. After ~5 years you'd probably have a sense of whether it's any good or not and worth keeping.

Can't be much worse than my 15 year old BMW, right? :v:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Guinness posted:

Even if the quality has improved by leaps and bounds, VW still does stupid poo poo like plastic oil pans, though.

I'm still strangely attracted to the idea of a Golf Alltrack with a 6MT, though, before such an animal disappears forever soon. That new 6yr/72k mile warranty allays some fears of getting stuck with a total lemon, too. After ~5 years you'd probably have a sense of whether it's any good or not and worth keeping.

Can't be much worse than my 15 year old BMW, right? :v:

Reliability seems to be fine on the MQB vehicles, and you probably would've heard of big problems by now considering that Mk7 Golfs are one of AI's most popular new cars

Zwingley posted:

Understandable, but I'm pretty confident the CUV will pay dividends enough outside my daily commute.

The chorus is really asking you to not dismiss sedans. There are definitely valid reasons to buy a crossover: available AWD, more usable cargo space, higher seating position. But modern sedans have virtues of their own. The Camry and Accord have interior room that used to be seen only in large sedans. On the highway, a midsize sedan will be quieter, have a better ride, and be cheaper to run.

For example: a Camry XLE that meets your requirements gets 39 MPG highway. Meanwhile a 1.5T CR-V will get 33 MPG. Assuming 25K highway miles a year with $3/gal gas, you save $350/year with the Camry over the CR-V. And the CR-V is the best example for fuel economy. A Mazda CX-5, thread favorite, will get 31 MPG, putting you at $500/year savings in the Camry.

Anyways, no matter what vehicle you choose, make sure that you're comfortable. What annoys you on a test drive will only get worse considering the time you'll be spending in the vehicle.

Other notes: if you're considering a RAV4, I'd recommend only looking at the 2019s. The other Toyotas released in the last year on the same platform as the 2019 RAV4 have been much improved over their predecessors. Do not buy a leftover 2018 CR-V; there is a nasty problem where gas mixes with oil in the turbo CR-Vs. Honda says the problem will be fixed on the 2019 models.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Godzilla07 posted:

The chorus is really asking you to not dismiss sedans. There are definitely valid reasons to buy a crossover: available AWD, more usable cargo space, higher seating position. But modern sedans have virtues of their own. The Camry and Accord have interior room that used to be seen only in large sedans. On the highway, a midsize sedan will be quieter, have a better ride, and be cheaper to run.

For example: a Camry XLE that meets your requirements gets 39 MPG highway. Meanwhile a 1.5T CR-V will get 33 MPG. Assuming 25K highway miles a year with $3/gal gas, you save $350/year with the Camry over the CR-V. And the CR-V is the best example for fuel economy. A Mazda CX-5, thread favorite, will get 31 MPG, putting you at $500/year savings in the Camry.

Anyways, no matter what vehicle you choose, make sure that you're comfortable. What annoys you on a test drive will only get worse considering the time you'll be spending in the vehicle.

Other notes: if you're considering a RAV4, I'd recommend only looking at the 2019s. The other Toyotas released in the last year on the same platform as the 2019 RAV4 have been much improved over their predecessors. Do not buy a leftover 2018 CR-V; there is a nasty problem where gas mixes with oil in the turbo CR-Vs. Honda says the problem will be fixed on the 2019 models.

Cargo space was something I alluded to elsewhere but didn't list outright when I was laying out my preferences, because I'd already decided I needed at least a CUV for it. Most notably, we haven't been able to go on trips like we've wanted to, because we didn't have room for all our cargo and the dogs in either of our hatchbacks, and we only want to take one car. I do really appreciate the looking out, though!

Thanks for the other advice too, of course. I'll hafta revise some of what I've looked at already on the RAV4 and CR-V front, which is fine and pretty much exactly why I posted. :shobon:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Has no one mentioned the Rogue? There's also a Camry Hybrid if reliability and MPG are really important (51/53).

I'm biased, but I just got one and it's got plenty of tech and heated seats, too.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Does the Camry hybrid really get 50 mpg? Like in the real world.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sits on Pilster posted:

Does the Camry hybrid really get 50 mpg? Like in the real world.

Those LE Hybrids get 46 on Fuelly. That's still better than a Gen 2 Prius, and there's no cargo or power sacrifices for going with the hybrid

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Nocheez posted:

Has no one mentioned the Rogue? There's also a Camry Hybrid if reliability and MPG are really important (51/53).

I'm biased, but I just got one and it's got plenty of tech and heated seats, too.

The Rogue is one of the few cars I have some outside feedback on, regarding its transmission not feeling the greatest and having some maintenance issues.

A warning like that goes double for me; my old Focus was one of them needing the transmission control module fixed, and that took forever to have addressed because the old ownership at my local Ford dealership was awful. :negative:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Isn't the Rogue still having transmission issues?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nocheez posted:

Has no one mentioned the Rogue?

The Rogue is probably one of, if not the worst compact SUV. Your money would be better spent on virtually any other choice in the category. Like, I suppose they are better than a Jeep Patriot, but besides that, a rav4,crv,santa fe,cx5,sportage,soul,escape,equinox,tiguan, etc etc etc are all much better vehicles.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 18, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the rogue's redeeming feature is that it is like, insanely cheap after discounting

it is an unmitigated piece of poo poo but it is cheap

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Zwingley posted:

Cargo space was something I alluded to elsewhere but didn't list outright when I was laying out my preferences, because I'd already decided I needed at least a CUV for it. Most notably, we haven't been able to go on trips like we've wanted to, because we didn't have room for all our cargo and the dogs in either of our hatchbacks, and we only want to take one car. I do really appreciate the looking out, though!

Thanks for the other advice too, of course. I'll hafta revise some of what I've looked at already on the RAV4 and CR-V front, which is fine and pretty much exactly why I posted. :shobon:

if you are worried about cargo space, the amount of cargo space in the class of CUV you are looking at is not really too much more than say, the Focus hatchback. If you marginally exceeded your cargo capacity, you should be fine, but if it wasn't that close, you need to size up.

the traditional has dogs on roadtrips car at this point is the Subaru Outback, which is fine but slow and does not get great fuel economy. otherwise you should step up to something like the Highlander hybrid.

cars that are good for commuting 100+ miles a day are not good for going on People + Dogs vacations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you are worried about cargo space, the amount of cargo space in the class of CUV you are looking at is not really too much more than say, the Focus hatchback. If you marginally exceeded your cargo capacity, you should be fine, but if it wasn't that close, you need to size up.

the traditional has dogs on roadtrips car at this point is the Subaru Outback, which is fine but slow and does not get great fuel economy. otherwise you should step up to something like the Highlander hybrid.

cars that are good for commuting 100+ miles a day are not good for going on People + Dogs vacations

Understandable, but I'm at a point where I hafta try and swing both. In seven years I can probably manage a car for each purpose, but not so much right now. We don't need too much more space than we had in my Focus hatchback, so I still think I'm on-base when it comes to my choice with a CUV. I do really appreciate the looking out, though!