Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I liked how Mile's number kept showing up. Including the spider that bit him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grundin
May 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

when the device pulls through all the Spider-people there's a quick shot of numbered dimensions and 616 was on there.
It isn't him but a close, older approximation.
Peter B has been Spider-Man for 20 years. 616 Peter has been Spider-Man for around 10-15 years in universe, so closer to "Blonde" Peter.
Peter B buried his aunt May, 616 May is still alive.
Peter B and MJ got divorced and while 616 Peters marriage was also annulled it didn't go down quite as mundanely. And it wasn't because Peter didn't want kids.
We also see that Peter B had a Jewish wedding, whereas the 616 wedding was a civil ceremony at city hall.
616 Peter isn't overweight and never owned a Spider-Man branded pizza joint.
Finally and this one is just me, but I took him not acknowledging Gwen as being that he never met or there was no Gwen in his universe.

Both the Peters also draw heavily from the Toby Maguire / Raimi Spider-Man films but both also have mechanical web-shooters instead of organic ones and their Raimiverse flashback scenes have intentional twists on them (the "upside-down kiss scene in one of their flash backs is inverted, with MJ hanging from the fire escape instead of Peter for example) so neither is specifically Raimi Spider-Man either. It seems like they are meant to represent variations of the "Original" Spider-Man but neither is explicitly any film or comic version.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Peter and MJ had a jewish wedding? That's...odd.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

grundin posted:

Both the Peters also draw heavily from the Toby Maguire / Raimi Spider-Man films but both also have mechanical web-shooters instead of organic ones and their Raimiverse flashback scenes have intentional twists on them (the "upside-down kiss scene in one of their flash backs is inverted, with MJ hanging from the fire escape instead of Peter for example) so neither is specifically Raimi Spider-Man either. It seems like they are meant to represent variations of the "Original" Spider-Man but neither is explicitly any film or comic version.

That was one of my favorite things about the movie, that even the Peter Parkers are interesting, alternate universe takes on the concept.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Peter and MJ had a jewish wedding? That's...odd.

What's odd about it?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just got back from seeing this and it really blew me away. I think this is the first movie I've seen that could really call itself a "comic-book movie". Everything about it was excellent, but the two moments that really gave me chills were Miles' comic book being thrown onto the pile and after Miles jumped from the building and went from tumbling to straightening out, and five increasingly close-up frames hammer across the screen for a second. Such a perfect use of the medium.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 16, 2018

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ImpAtom posted:

My favorite little bit was the Spider-Man comics. I was confused how they worked in a setting where he was real but if you look at the pages the main character has a different hair color and is named Billy.

Marvel used to have a thing where there were in-universe marvel comics that functioned as a historical record.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Marvel used to have a thing where there were in-universe marvel comics that functioned as a historical record.

Of course, it's pretty variable. Some runs imply that it's the actual comic in front of you (back in the Stan and Jack days, Doctor Doom once invaded the Marvel offices to force them to call Reed Richards in to set up an ambush.), other times it's implied they're pretty different (like the time they released copies of the "actual" comics they sell in universe. The FF weren't too far off their usual, save for the narration by the family and the features like Ben's workout routine, but Spider-Man... was less accurate.). Varies by writer, era, and degree of seriousness.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, they never pause for a direct callout, but the fact that she made Miles' web shooters and knew Dr. Octavius by her first name is a clear nod to her being some kind of badass science wiz in this timeline. Good odds she becomes Q to Miles' Bond in the sequel.

Edit: also, "I like to drink egg-creams, and I like to fight Nazis. A lot." is all the backstory any superhero ever needs.

Aunt May and Dr. Octavius were married at one point in the main timeline, so naturally I assume that the same thing happened in this timeline and that's why Liv and May are on a first name basis (though I doubt the marriage ended well, those two star-crossed can't ever seem to work it out no matter what timeline they're in).

Anyway, this movie was awesome. I'm already hungry for a sequel. This 100% deserves to win "best animated movie of the year".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lemon posted:

Just got back from seeing this and it really blew me away. I think this is the first movie I've seen that could really call itself a "comic-book movie". Everything about it was excellent, but the two moments that really gave me chills were Miles' comic book being thrown onto the pile and after Miles jumped from the building and went from tumbling to straightening out, and five increasingly close-up frames hammer across the screen for a second. Such a perfect use of the medium.

That's a great point and, yeah, I give the film tremendous props for pulling off a lot of "comic book style" scenes. Ang Lee's Hulk gave it a shot this was far more successful. The thought balloons and sound effects text were really nice touches, along with the benday dots.

the even had a couple of shots where the colors were out of register, similar to older comics and the cheap newsprint they used to use.

HEre's a real good write up/interview about this exact design process

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/11/..._source=twitter

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 17, 2018

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Saw it. Was cool. Glad they didn't spoil a couple of the twists via the trailers like most movies seem to want to nowadays. Hope it makes a billion dollars cause I'd much rather have more movies willing to look this cool and sound this great and have this much confidence in themselves.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lord and Miller are so goddamn good at this poo poo. It's a goddamn crime they were pulled off Solo which became an abortion without their touch.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, maybe I missed it but do they provide any explanation for why Officer Davis is at Fisk's party? I mean, he needs to be there to close the thematic loop on Miles' relationship to his myriad father figures, but it was a little weird how he seemed to just show up.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, maybe I missed it but do they provide any explanation for why Officer Davis is at Fisk's party? I mean, he needs to be there to close the thematic loop on Miles' relationship to his myriad father figures, but it was a little weird how he seemed to just show up.

I thought he was outside of the building when the supercollider was running, saw that the Fisk Building was glitching out, and I figured he put two and two together and went to investigate

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought he was outside of the building when the supercollider was running, saw that the Fisk Building was glitching out, and I figured he put two and two together and went to investigate

Ahh, yeah that slipped by me, thanks.

Huh, I just noticed that Miles took his mother’s surname. Pro choice on his parent’s part, getting him that good alliteration. Also, wait, is his father’s name really Jefferson Davis, wtf happened there?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, wait, is his father’s name really Jefferson Davis, wtf happened there?

Comic book creators tend to do a bunch of things that they think are super funny subversions, like "haha wouldn't it be funny if a black man shared a name with a racist traitor? But it's okay because, he's like, taking it back! And also wouldn't it be funny if, like, there was a Spider-Woman who, like, Peter was literally uncontrollably horny for because of, uh, pheremones that I'm pretending is commentary on sexism and fetishism of female characters in comics? And what if her uniform was just a bunch of webs she shoots onto herself, so the readers are also uncontrollably attracted to her at the same time?"

Sorry I just peeked at the Spider-Verse comics to see what they were like and was reminded why I don't really read comics anymore.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Lord and Miller are so goddamn good at this poo poo. It's a goddamn crime they were pulled off Solo which became an abortion without their touch.

I hope they stay with animation. The medium needs their vision and talent.

This film was directed by the guy who did Rise of the Guardians at Dreamworks, which really hurt his career. I’m glad he bounced back to such a triumph.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

asecondduck posted:

Comic book creators tend to do a bunch of things that they think are super funny subversions, like "haha wouldn't it be funny if a black man shared a name with a racist traitor? But it's okay because, he's like, taking it back! And also wouldn't it be funny if, like, there was a Spider-Woman who, like, Peter was literally uncontrollably horny for because of, uh, pheremones that I'm pretending is commentary on sexism and fetishism of female characters in comics? And what if her uniform was just a bunch of webs she shoots onto herself, so the readers are also uncontrollably attracted to her at the same time?"

Sorry I just peeked at the Spider-Verse comics to see what they were like and was reminded why I don't really read comics anymore.
Hilariously, as soon as she started appearing in comics not written by that one specific guy, for some reason she got an entirely new, normal costume and no-one mentioned the old one ever again:

To tie back into the movie, I think it's been indicated she'd be one of the characters in the potential Spider-Women semi-sequel that's supposedly in the works, which I hope ends up being a)made and b)as amazing as Spiderverse was.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 17, 2018

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is Jeff the stepfather of Miles? I noticed they don't share a last name, which could mean a number of things, but I'm not super into the minutiae of comics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Is Jeff the stepfather of Miles? I noticed they don't share a last name, which could mean a number of things, but I'm not super into the minutiae of comics.

No, he is his father, Miles just took his mother's name.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Definitely see the movie in 3D if you get the chance. The animation style is perfect for it.

I wish the Spider-Man specifically in your avatar was the one that died.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I may be extremely wrong on account of being white as gently caress, but I was under the impression that the tradition in Hispanic and latinx communities was that a child takes both their father and mothers family names as a compound with the mothers name last in the order, and Miles is afro-latino.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Aunt May and Dr. Octavius were married at one point in the main timeline, so naturally I assume that the same thing happened in this timeline and that's why Liv and May are on a first name basis (though I doubt the marriage ended well, those two star-crossed can't ever seem to work it out no matter what timeline they're in).

That seems rather unlikely, I would guess there is a 30-40 year age difference between them

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Really neat article on the process that went into creating the movie's look and feel:

https://twitter.com/pramsey342/status/1072665741307056128

That's a great interview and has made me appreciate the film even more:

quote:

"That was always the art direction, where we would say, “I feel like we’re just making it incrementally more insane. Can you make it positively insane?” And then if we have to we’ll bring it back down again so we don’t terrify children with this mind-bending experience.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

No stepfather would ever, ever pull what he did while dropping Miles off at school. Jeff is the kind of guy who stands at the window in the maternity ward for hours and hours, looking at his new baby boy and crying with joy.

Speaking of, I like how many good dads there are in this film. None of them perfect, but still, good. And it's no mistake that the one genuinely bad father is also the main villain.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 17, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That was a hell of a lot of Kirby dots.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
If he took his dad's name he'd be Miles Davis. :c00l:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I really liked the movie and the animation style was unique and interesting, but I had to go to the front desk twice to make sure I wasn't in a 3d showing without glasses. I was literally the only one there, so I couldn't just look around. If I could change one thing about the film, I would tell the people in charge of the look that horizontal separation of the image to express depth is bad. Up until it was over, I was questioning if it was 3D despite being told no twice.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr. Powers posted:

I really liked the movie and the animation style was unique and interesting, but I had to go to the front desk twice to make sure I wasn't in a 3d showing without glasses. I was literally the only one there, so I couldn't just look around. If I could change one thing about the film, I would tell the people in charge of the look that horizontal separation of the image to express depth is bad. Up until it was over, I was questioning if it was 3D despite being told no twice.

My wife had the same problem

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

Yeah there were a couple of scenes that looked exactly like what 3d looks when you take off the glasses, I was wondering if they messed up or something too.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

As someone that really liked Homecoming, this movie was unquestionably the best spider-man movie and quite possibly the best superhero movie of all time. The latter I'm still chewing, but off the top of my head there isn't one that had nearly the same combination of emotional appeal, underlying message, and humor. Not to mention it's insanely good looking!

I'm gonna try to convince the family to see it as our holiday movie, maybe even in actual 3D.

I do wish Noir / Ham / Penny had a bit more to do? Movie was stuffed full as it was, though.

I have hope for spinoff movies, but I also suspect there's a good chance they're all straight-to-streaming cash ins without anywhere close to the same budget. Fingers crossed, though...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

I have hope for spinoff movies, but I also suspect there's a good chance they're all straight-to-streaming cash ins without anywhere close to the same budget. Fingers crossed, though...

They've already confirmed plans for a direct sequel focused on Miles and Gewn, in addition to a spinoff centered on Gwen teaming up with two other spider-women. After the success of this film, I doubt either will be relegated to the streaming ghetto.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hope Peter B Parker doesn't return in any capacity except as a cameo as Spider-Dad.

It was in one of chase scenes with Prowler we get a look at the street at night and I swear it looked live-action.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Skippy McPants posted:

They've already confirmed plans for a direct sequel focused on Miles and Gewn, in addition to a spinoff centered on Gwen teaming up with two other spider-women. After the success of this film, I doubt either will be relegated to the streaming ghetto.

They've confirmed that they're making them, but if they're full theatrical releases or the modern equivalent of straight-to-DVD, who knows. A direct Miles and Gwen sequel might make it to the big screen, but the spider-ladies one feels a lil' more dubious. Not that I want it to be! I'd see 'em all at this point.

And yeah if B Parker comes back I want him to be even older and have May around.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Skippy McPants posted:

How is streaming a ghetto? The Kurt Russell Christmas movie had 20 million views in 1 week.

If that is loosely multiplied by $15 / ticket on average that's $300 million dollars. Theaters wish they had that many eyes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

If that is loosely multiplied by $15 / ticket on average that's $300 million dollars.

But it's not though - a streaming view can't be equated with a cinema ticket.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

How is streaming a ghetto? The Kurt Russell Christmas movie had 20 million views in 1 week.

If that is loosely multiplied by $15 / ticket on average that's $300 million dollars. Theaters wish they had that many eyes.

In addition to what Necrothatcher said, streaming is still viewed as TV Movies for the 21st century by a lot of studios and production companies. I.e. a place where low-budget, underperforming, or troubled projects go to die. You have the likes Netflix and Amazon looking to change that by funding their own stuff to showcase the platform but I think its fair to say that their efforts have so far shown mixed success, at best.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I really need to see this movie again. We live in lucky times.

The most one to one translation of what I like about superhero comics to film I've ever seen.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Saw this over the weekend while visiting my wife's family in the DC suburbs. Thought it was great, and probably better than any superhero movie I've seen in a long time. Animation was really great, and definitely unique. Loved that at least some parts looked very much like putting a comic to life. Only thing I didn't like was Kingpin's motivation, but I can't complain about that too much.

My niece and nephews are half African-American and Puerto Rican, so this one hit pretty close to home for the whole family, plus they have an uncle Aaron. My wife also has a half-brother named Miles who is also half African-American and Puerto Rican. Just very odd connections all around.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 17, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

My nice and nephews are half African-American and Puerto Rican, so this one hit pretty close to home for the whole family, plus they have an uncle Aaron. My wife also has a half-brother named Miles who is also half African-American and Puerto Rican. Just very odd connections all around.

On the topic of Miles mixed ethnicity, I like that they didn't subtitle the Spanish quips between him and the other kids in his neighborhood. It helps convey the breadth of his lived experience and let's audience know it's okay if they're not fluent, they don't need to catch every scrap of nuance to enjoy the story. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I thought it was good for being such a light touch. Another strong example of how the film does a lot with a little in its characterizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It was fun taking my nephew to see the movie and then coming home and immediately booting up Spider-Man on the PS4 and watching him learn how to web swing.