Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

SubG posted:

I'm just saying all of this because I think that using sodium citrate is one of the few modernist/molecular techniques that absolutely should be in every home cook's repertoire. And it's really dead simple and I wouldn't want anyone to be scared off because they think it's super complicated.

It won't be common until it has a non-scary name like "sauce powder", ala baking powder. This is actually the first I've heard of it, is there a good beginner place to check out or just hit google?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sentient Data posted:

It won't be common until it has a non-scary name like "sauce powder", ala baking powder. This is actually the first I've heard of it, is there a good beginner place to check out or just hit google?
What kind of information are you looking for? Specific recipes, science poo poo, or what? Because in terms of the basic method (liquid + sodium citrate + cheese + heat = cheese sauce) there's not a lot else to talk about.

The most common application that's used to introduce the method is probably mac & cheese. So looking up modernist mac and cheese on seriouseats or whatever will get you to a specific recipe and probably a little blurb about sodium citrate (more likely than not to incorrectly call it an emulsifier, which it is not, but whatever). Here's Myhrvold's version if that helps.

You can get a bag of sodium citrate off amazon, any of a number of places that specialize in modernist poo poo, and nowdays sometimes in snootier grocery stores.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Put some sodium citrate in your hollandaise and you could boil that poo poo and it wouldn't break. It's insane.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Hauki posted:

So my parents decided they want a circulator for Christmas - I’ve got a ton of more in-depth cookbooks like MC etc. but does anyone have recommendations for ah, more approachable sv books? They’re fairly competent cooks, but I’m looking for some other gift options and I don’t think they would get a ton of use out of any of the books I have on my shelf currently.

I have this book my wife purchased for me and I really like it. https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Ho...DSPF0FS6ME9EWQE

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Just finished seven bags of 72 hour clod for tamales (in two cookers, both 145.5F). Had my first instance of lactobacillus in one of them. The bag was inflated like a balloon, and had no leaks at all.

Opened the bag and had that signature cheesy smell - like the best aged Parmesan or funky Bleu. A little reading told me that it was probably safe to eat, but the wife insisted that we dump it to be safe (she found the smell to be more vomit than cheese).

Anyone else have this happen? Is there anything I could have done to avoid it?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just finished seven bags of 72 hour clod for tamales (in two cookers, both 145.5F). Had my first instance of lactobacillus in one of them. The bag was inflated like a balloon, and had no leaks at all.

Opened the bag and had that signature cheesy smell - like the best aged Parmesan or funky Bleu. A little reading told me that it was probably safe to eat, but the wife insisted that we dump it to be safe (she found the smell to be more vomit than cheese).

Anyone else have this happen? Is there anything I could have done to avoid it?

huh, what were you cooking? if it was sufficiently massive/cold when you put it in a 145º bath it could have taken a while to get to temp and stop/inhibit reproduction.

For relatively long/low cooks you can try presearing or blanching to kill or at least massively reduce surface contamination (which is usually the issue when dealing with whole muscle cuts of meat).

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Oneiros posted:

huh, what were you cooking? if it was sufficiently massive/cold when you put it in a 145º bath it could have taken a while to get to temp and stop/inhibit reproduction.

For relatively long/low cooks you can try presearing or blanching to kill or at least massively reduce surface contamination (which is usually the issue when dealing with whole muscle cuts of meat).

Beef clod. It was actually in a good spot in the bath, plenty of circulation, etc. it wasn’t more than 4” thick, but it was one of the thicker pieces. I could swear it didn’t start floating or inflating until like 52 hours in or more. It was two odd shaped pieces so maybe that left a spot or gap for air and growth.

I may boil each bag for a few seconds next time before starting to cook.

I kind of regret not having a taste...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I like my Mapp torch but I’ve been wanting to try a heat gun. Is there a “the one” I want to try and get?

[Ed] follow up question: is sodium hexametaphosphate the same as citrate? Do I use the same quantity in the same way for the same recipe?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 15, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
In other news I’m doing 6 Maine lobster tails in the puddle for Xmas eve dinner. poo poo cost a pretty penny out here in Seattle.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Is there a good sous vide black garlic recipe or should I just bust out the slow cooker?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone had luck with flank steak? I've googled and holy poo poo recommendations are all the gently caress over the place

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Anyone had luck with flank steak? I've googled and holy poo poo recommendations are all the gently caress over the place

The biggest thing I have found with flank steak to make things better is simply letting it marinade for 24hr and let it break down the toughness. If that's what you are referring to. Then grilling on high for heat for 6-7 min per side to get a nice char on either side while med-med rare on the inside. Let rest for 3-5 min then slice against the grain like you do brisket.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

sterster posted:

The biggest thing I have found with flank steak to make things better is simply letting it marinade for 24hr and let it break down the toughness. If that's what you are referring to. Then grilling on high for heat for 6-7 min per side to get a nice char on either side while med-med rare on the inside. Let rest for 3-5 min then slice against the grain like you do brisket.

Cool; so something like

Marinade for 24hrs
SV for ~2hrs at desired temp
Sear aggressively
Cut against grain

And I should be in good shape?

Thanks!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Walked posted:

I feel like flank steak might a bit too thin to really achieve a good result from SV, but then my way of cooking it usually involves throwing it directly on the coals in my grill. Searing it after SV might wind up overcooking the meat?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Whalley posted:

I feel like flank steak might a bit too thin to really achieve a good result from SV, but then my way of cooking it usually involves throwing it directly on the coals in my grill. Searing it after SV might wind up overcooking the meat?

that was always what i'd heard about it too, since by the time you've properly seared flank steak there's probably no need to cook it much more

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've always done 7-8 minutes a side with flank. It takes longer to cook than you think it should. Marinate if you want, but be aware that a standard marinade is not going to do poo poo to tenderize it, and pretty much only salt will penetrate it flavor-wise.

The key in getting it tender to eat is cutting it against the grain, on a bias. I like a green peppercorn cream sauce on it. Dijon cream sauce good too. Even did a chipotle in adobo cream sauce once and that was pretty good.

Also, rest it for close to 10 minutes. The rule of thumb I once heard to rest for half as long as you cooked it is pretty accurate for this in my experience.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Second attempt at using my SV (first was NY strip steak): Salmon.

I finally picked up a FoodSaver yesterday to make my life easier.

Salmon
EVOO
Kosher salt
Dill
Shallots
Lemon zest

Planning on cooking at 120 for 45 minutes.
I still need to pickup an actual Cambro style bin, so for now, a stock pot it is:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

No need to marinate flank steak for sous vide, I do it really often at 130 for 8 hours, usually throw it in before I go to work and it comes out great.

It comes out really tender in a way that works well sliced on salads or sandwiches

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

nadmonk posted:

Second attempt at using my SV (first was NY strip steak): Salmon.

I finally picked up a FoodSaver yesterday to make my life easier.

Salmon
EVOO
Kosher salt
Dill
Shallots
Lemon zest

Planning on cooking at 120 for 45 minutes.
I still need to pickup an actual Cambro style bin, so for now, a stock pot it is:

I cannot wrap my head around SVing a salmon when I have a perfectly good smoker.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Different flavors and texture, what's so difficult to understand about that?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Inspector 34 posted:

Different flavors and texture, what's so difficult to understand about that?

Also some people may not even have a smoker?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hasselblad posted:

I cannot wrap my head around SVing a salmon when I have a perfectly good smoker.

I don't like hot smoked salmon, it always comes out too dry for my tastes. I should really look into getting a cold smoker.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

This but without the zest and served with hollandaise.

Get a pan really loving hot with some oil and crisp the skin, too. Takes about a minute. You did leave the skin on, right?

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Night Shade posted:

This but without the zest and served with hollandaise.

Get a pan really loving hot with some oil and crisp the skin, too. Takes about a minute. You did leave the skin on, right?

I did indeed leave the skin on and crisped the skin up in a cast iron pan. It came out pretty well.
Next up: tonight I do NY strip steaks from my relatives farm.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Stringent posted:

I don't like hot smoked salmon, it always comes out too dry for my tastes. I should really look into getting a cold smoker.
If it's too try it's over cooked. If it is only smoked to internal temp of about 125 it comes out amazing.
SV'ing salmon also comes out with a really good flakey texture. But I mostly pan sear cause it is dead simple and easy once I practiced it enough.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I threw a slab of flank in at 1.5 hrs at 131 and it came out bangin’

My flank must have been defective.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

SubG posted:

My general method for figuring out how to make a sauce with citrate and an unfamiliar cheese is to use a standard proportion of citrate and water (or milk or whatever liquid I'm using)---I generally use about 1/2 tsp of sodium citrate and 1/4 cup of water, just because that's an easy proportion to remember---warm it enough that the citrate is dissolved, and then slowly add microplaned cheese until I get the consistency I want.

Dude, I know this was kind of a detail but thanks so much for this. I just did a single serving Mac & cheese with random poo poo in my pantry (around .75 cups elbow macaroni and 2/3 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend) and it was awesome. Took only as long a tiny bit longer than it took to boil the drat water.

I couldn't find sodium citrate at any store convenient to me here in the Portland area so I had to order it on Amazon but I'll never be without this stuff again. Will also probably never make Kraft Mac and cheese or any microvable cheesy pasta unless I'm too drunk to boil water

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I did a test run citrate cheese with 2/3 sharp Tillamook and 1/3 Monterey Jack Tillamook and then let it cool spread on a silpat in the fridge and then blew my fam’s mind with gooey grilled cheese for dinner and amazing Melty smashburgers the next night.

Didn’t do Sous vide. 10 min in a saucepan on medium heat and then immersion blended. Easy peasy.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh gently caress yeah, grilled cheese is happening when it's my turn to cook dinner on Saturday.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Does citrate have any fun uses other than for making cheese sauces? When I google for it, almost every result is about how to use it to make cheese sauce.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Argue posted:

Does citrate have any fun uses other than for making cheese sauces? When I google for it, almost every result is about how to use it to make cheese sauce.

Perhaps other emulsions, like hollandaise-variants. Definitely want to try this!

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Argue posted:

You can use it in spherification of acidic foods as a pH buffer, and apparently a solution of sodium citrate will reduce discoloration of cut fruit and generally act as a preservative. Since it works on cheese by substituting sodium for calcium ions in casein, it might be worthwhile to experiment with other dairy products.

I'm imagining a butter with strong emulsifying properties due to the altered casein, but I could be totally off base.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I just found out there's an awesome butcher an hour away from me (stupid suburbs; one of the things I miss about the city).

I just placed an order for about $100 of various steaks :getin:

My wife is going to tire of steaks by the time New Years rolls around.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought a brisket to SV and then smoke, but I ordered a trimmed one because I'm not very smart. It seems that Kenji at least would be very disappointed in me, but I'm wondering if others have experiences to share. Am I doomed to overly dry meat on Sunday? Should I put some fat or something in the bag somehow?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Subjunctive posted:

I bought a brisket to SV and then smoke, but I ordered a trimmed one because I'm not very smart. It seems that Kenji at least would be very disappointed in me, but I'm wondering if others have experiences to share. Am I doomed to overly dry meat on Sunday? Should I put some fat or something in the bag somehow?

I wouldn't add anything. It is not as if a stall (when the meat starts sweating and drying out the most) is going to happen during SV as it does during a long smoke.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 21, 2018

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey so I’ve got a recipe for chicken teriyaki from the Anova app, which is really good, basically just soy sauce, sake, etc and then put it on a skillet with corn flour to thicken the sauce up.

I was wondering what is the implication of vacuum sealing the chicken with the soy sauce and sake etc mix and freezing it and then take it out later to cook so it’s prepared? Or would the sauce affect the chicken too much in the freezer?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

teacup posted:

Hey so I’ve got a recipe for chicken teriyaki from the Anova app, which is really good, basically just soy sauce, sake, etc and then put it on a skillet with corn flour to thicken the sauce up.

I was wondering what is the implication of vacuum sealing the chicken with the soy sauce and sake etc mix and freezing it and then take it out later to cook so it’s prepared? Or would the sauce affect the chicken too much in the freezer?

It will probably be fine either way, but you could freeze the liquid in an ice cube tray, then vac seal the chicken with the teriyaki cubes to keep them separate until cook time. Just mark the bag with the amount of cornstarch to use.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Whatever I cooked teriyaki, I added it near the end of the cooking process. I mixed it with the meat in the pan near the end, and considered the dish done just as the sauce started to caramelize

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/139027/teriyaki-sauce-and-marinade/ is the one I go with, the only slightly hard part is finding the mirin if there aren't asian grocers in your area

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Sentient Data posted:

Whatever I cooked teriyaki, I added it near the end of the cooking process. I mixed it with the meat in the pan near the end, and considered the dish done just as the sauce started to caramelize

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/139027/teriyaki-sauce-and-marinade/ is the one I go with, the only slightly hard part is finding the mirin if there aren't asian grocers in your area

Oh we live in Melbourne Australia so no issues there!! Thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a large, 4.5 pound beef tenderloin to cook on Christmas. Planning on doing SV for half and a more traditional oven preparation for the other half. I found a chef steps SV technique that has you sear first, then SV, and sear again to finish. Anyone ever done it this way before? Feels very weird to me to have an initial sear before cooking in the bag, like it’s going to prohibit getting a nice crust later.