Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

You're wrong because mimic kicks rear end and is dope as gently caress. LMAO-ing at this poser.

I like Mimic but I can't love it just because of how bad it got hosed by the studio. Even the DC, from what I gather, is more of an Alien 3-ish "as close as possible" approximation of GDT's vision than the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I was disappointed Shudder had the theatrical version. Don’t streaming services sometimes get alternate cuts? I swear the DC of Kingdom of Heaven has cropped up on Netflix.

Just like with Lord of Illusions I can’t imagine a recut would make me want to own Mimic but I would be interested in seeing if it’s appreciably better.

Now I feel compelled to dig out my copy of Del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities and see what he had to say about it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Lake Mungo was creepy up until THAT scene and then I was like :stare:

Good watch.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that scene is arguably the single freakiest moment in horror its NUTS, so well-done

SMP
May 5, 2009

The best part is even with all the hype and knowledge that there's a big scene, there was no way to see it coming while watching. Genuinely scary as gently caress.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

You're not making a strong case here.

Kvlt! posted:

that scene is arguably the single freakiest moment in horror its NUTS, so well-done

Hell yeah.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
What scene from Lake Mungo are we talking about? I saw it a while back but I don’t remember anything from it that I’d consider That Scene.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Today I sat through Savageland and Cute Little Buggers. As much as the thread's talked about how good Savageland was, it really was that drat good. The scenes where you see the aftermath at the preschool hit me pretty hard, so I'm not sure where this film's going to be on the rewatchability scale unless I skip that bit.

Cute Little Buggers...well, I went in expecting something cheesy campy but drat it felt like they didn't have the confidence to stick with a tangent and roll with it. The storyline has potential but it just came across like they weren't sure if they were going the serious dryness like Hot Fuzz or something not taking itself seriously at all. The CGI was all over the place with some bits looking good, some looking like it was an amateur at the keyboard, and others looking like it was swiped from one of those high end computer animation animal films. I don't regret sitting through it but doubt I'll sit through it again.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Doctor Faustine posted:

What scene from Lake Mungo are we talking about? I saw it a while back but I don’t remember anything from it that I’d consider That Scene.

That's surprising. It's not a moment easily forgotten.

It's when she's confronted by her dead self through her cell phone camera.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Doctor Faustine posted:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's surprising. It's not a moment easily forgotten.

It's when she's confronted by her dead self through her cell phone camera.

I’m going to have to commiserate with Doctor Faustine on this one. I liked Lake Mungo well enough but it didn’t make a huge impression on me, not like it did to a lot of other people in this thread anyway.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I keep trying to start Lake Mungo but it's so slow for the first bit and I watch something else. I don't know why it's like that. I don't mind slow-burn horror at all but I just can't get into the Mungo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

The House That Jack Built is overrated.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I’m going to have to commiserate with Doctor Faustine on this one. I liked Lake Mungo well enough but it didn’t make a huge impression on me, not like it did to a lot of other people in this thread anyway.

Ditto. Everytime it's brought up, I struggle to remember what scene everybody talks about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

The House That Jack Built is overrated.

I watched it last night.

It was ok. I will say that I don't think the talk about the disturbing content is overrated, I mean Von Trier definitely is willing to go places that most others aren't. But other than that, as a movie, there's just not a whole lot there. And I actually think that's part of the point, Dillon is portraying an empty husk of a person and you really don't gain any real understanding of him by the end of the film. He has these compulsions and he doesn't fight them or really even care to examine them. Bruno Ganz is in the movie I guess to serve that purpose, to challenge Jack's perception of himself, but that part never really lands imo.

It's an excellent performance by Dillon though, probably worth watching just for him. The nothingness is definitely impressive just in how consistent he is with it, although I suppose you could argue it's a somewhat shallowly written character. A bit one-note, but he does it well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

See this is why I don't disagree with you on much.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You're not making a strong case here.

People in lovely monkey suits clearly jumping instead of tumbling down in bad cgi-lava.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Basebf555 posted:

It was ok. I will say that I don't think the talk about the disturbing content is overrated, I mean Von Trier definitely is willing to go places that most others aren't. But other than that, as a movie, there's just not a whole lot there. And I actually think that's part of the point, Dillon is portraying an empty husk of a person and you really don't gain any real understanding of him by the end of the film. He has these compulsions and he doesn't fight them or really even care to examine them. Bruno Ganz is in the movie I guess to serve that purpose, to challenge Jack's perception of himself, but that part never really lands imo.

Well yeah, the whole movie is about a man with literally nothing inside him trying to call up some creative "spark" that just isn't in him. He takes no feeling in, and puts no feeling out and yet he keeps trying to create something.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

People in lovely monkey suits clearly jumping instead of tumbling down in bad cgi-lava.

They're jumping because their homes are engulfed in flames, they're leaping to escape the flames.

Anyway you clearly hate fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Congo owns, sorry folks.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

“These apes jumping into molten lava aren’t realistic enough”

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Anyone who’s actually thrown an ape in to lava knows that they don’t sink in real fast like that. They kind of land on it almost like it’s a solid surface, then burst into flames (screaming horribly all the while, of course).

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Whether you like Congo or not, you have to respect successfully pulling off “third act laser/ape battle.”

The only other movie to even attempt such a thing? Steel Magnolias.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Shakma has got lasers in it doesn't it?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh drat, I think so? I haven’t thought about that flick in years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Whether you like Congo or not, you have to respect successfully pulling off “third act laser/ape battle.”

Look, around here we don't poo poo killer apes, lasers, Tim Curry, animatronic main characters, Ernie Hudson, volcanic eruptions, dudes dropping dead "of fright", Bruce Campbell, hippo attacks, gorilla skydiving, and Laura Linney badass one-liners. We celebrate these things.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

If you ever question why Congo rules remember that “skydiving gorilla” doesn’t break the top five most insane things in the movie.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Untrustable posted:

I keep trying to start Lake Mungo but it's so slow for the first bit and I watch something else. I don't know why it's like that. I don't mind slow-burn horror at all but I just can't get into the Mungo.

I don't mind a slow start to a movie or a nicely done slow burn but I agree that Lake Mungo was really slow out the gate. If it wasn't for hearing it does pick up, I probably wouldn't've given it a second chance.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I actually didn’t really like lake Mungo because I found it slow and sad and not scary at all for like 99% of it, but I’m not gonna lie the big scene still got me pretty good it’s a very well done scare. One scare doesn’t make a movie for me though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

I actually didn’t really like lake Mungo because I found it slow and sad and not scary at all for like 99% of it, but I’m not gonna lie the big scene still got me pretty good it’s a very well done scare. One scare doesn’t make a movie for me though

Yea if I were recommending Lake Mungo to someone I'd try to warn them in advance that like 90% of it is a slow-burn faux documentary, it's not the kind of thing that I'm always in the mood for. The payoff is an all-time great horror scene but you have to make it there fully invested and if you're just sitting there bored waiting for it to happen it probably won't land nearly as hard.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I've seen Lake Mungo and have no idea what scene is being referenced.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stink Billyums posted:

There's a scene towards the end that shows you what the daughter had been freaked out about before her death and it's extremely well done.

Not even putting specifics under the spoiler tags just to be safe.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 17, 2018

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Well yeah, the whole movie is about a man with literally nothing inside him trying to call up some creative "spark" that just isn't in him. He takes no feeling in, and puts no feeling out and yet he keeps trying to create something.

Yup. I found it fascinating in an American Psycho way, like it's an exploration of emptiness while also being really funny in the absolute darkest way. I will say, though, that I did miss what was cut out of the directors cut after watching the theatrical version this weekend, and the Kvlt!'s of the world should probably skip right to the DC if you can get your hands on it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched Mausoleum (Vinegar Syndrome's black friday release) yesterday and it was pretty fun. Surprisingly good makeup and gore effects for a low budget film like this. The rest of the film has some bad acting and writing and some very dull cinematography, but the supernatural/creepy stuff is a blast and looks really good. I think it is aware of this and doesn't waste much time on the boring stuff. If you like schlock and cheesy '80s horror, I'd recommend it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Stink Billyums posted:

I’m glad I’m not the only one. Even with the spoilers I barely remember anything like that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lake Mungo is barely a horror movie. It's a supernaturally laced rumination on grief.

It just happens to have one of the best scares ever. Additionally, to this day after seeing it upwards of ten times, the Ken Burns zooms on the photos at the end showing that she's been there the entire time but the family isn't capable of seeing it, gives me chills every time including right now as I type this.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Lake Mungo's scare works so amazingly well because the movie just swells with this feeling of grief but also this deep undercurrent of dread. It reminds me of The Ring remake. They both feel like having your arm in one of those blood pressure things that just slowly and slowly gets more and more tight.

The Ring though has scares peppered throughout until the big scare at the end, Lake Mungo though compresses all it's scares into one singular moment and that's why it hits so loving hard.

I can't think of another horror movie moment that burrowed into me as hard as Lake Mungo's ending did. It's like having a gallon of ice cold water poured on you.

You spend the whole movie feeling like this might be a murder mystery somehow. Or at least some deep mystery and some secret life. Then you get to the tape. That eerie, almost industrial music swells as we hear her theapy session. Then the slow move in on that figure and at the final second an almost crash zoom. That loving face and the slow zoom and then you get punched in the loving gut with the shot of her body.

Holy poo poo that scene is a masterpiece.

The only movie of it's kind that I think hits close to Lake Mungo is, like I said before, Savageland. Savageland's acting is not as good, but holy gently caress the scares almost all have that eerie, deeply unsettling feel as the Mungo scare did. The very nature of how they are done keeps that horrible icy feeling perfectly done.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 17, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not sure how to say this without risking spoilers, but the scene in Lake Mungo was so memorable that years later it kinda ruined a similar but also well done twist in another piece of horror media that I watched because I saw it coming way too far in advance. I guess if you've seen both you'll probably be able to guess what I'm talking about.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Watched Ghost Stories. Hmm pretty good movie, all the stories were pretty creep. The ending was surprising but seen done before so it wasn't anything special. Really liked the atmosphere in this movie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Checking out Screamers since it was added to Shudder and so far someone's had his head ripped off in gory detail, another had their throat slapped away, and another disemboweled. All by fish men! Loving the gently caress out of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

s.i.r.e. posted:

Checking out Screamers since it was added to Shudder and so far someone's had his head ripped off in gory detail, another had their throat slapped away, and another disemboweled. All by fish men! Loving the gently caress out of this one.

Ha I just made a post about this, it seems that that entire opening sequence was made for when it was released in the US.

But it's so freaking good I wish they just made an original movie of fishmen owning people.

It was originally "Island of the Fishmen" in Italy, then it had the the opening scene shot for it for the US and was released similarly flowery title like "Something Is In the Dark" or something" but it flopped. So they then made footage of an inside out person and tried again a year later with the Screamers title. :laffo: Corman was notoriously good at budgeting stuff but they must have lost a lot of money acquiring the film or something because they sure put a ton of work into that opening.

Anyway I still like the movie itself but drat that opening scene owns.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 18, 2018