Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Timby posted:

I think I've told this story before, but I used to be the director of marketing at a downtown hotel here in Madison. We tended to provide the lodging for performers at the Overture Center for the Arts, which is a block away from the hotel, and as a result I wound up meeting a lot of cool people (Yo-Yo Ma is the sweetest guy ever, as was Adam Savage). Anyway, Seinfeld was doing a show at Overture, and I happened to have pulled the manager-on-duty shift the night he checked in; MOD basically means you work an eight-hour shift until the night auditor shows up and you're in charge of the place during that time. He had an entourage of a half-dozen people, treated the front desk and restaurant staff like poo poo (didn't even tip on what wound up being a nearly $100 dinner bill), and when one of his bags fell off the bell cart, he shrieked, "Oh, no, the jewels!" and then looked around, waiting for someone to laugh.

Basically everyone breathed a sigh of relief when he checked out the morning after his show.

Wait, the guy's a multimillionaire and stiffs the waiter at a restaurant? I've never left a $0 tip at a restaurant in my life, and you can guess how rich I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sucrose posted:

Wait, the guy's a multimillionaire and stiffs the waiter at a restaurant? I've never left a $0 tip at a restaurant in my life, and you can guess how rich I am.

He's a complete shithead. He was verbally abusing the wait and bus staff during his entire 90-minute dinner (apparently Monsieur Seinfeld likes to dine slowly, over like six courses plus a poo poo-ton of booze), while everyone was waiting to do their side work and finally go home, and then, yeah, he stiffed his server. I pulled out a 20 from my wallet and gave it to her, because she endured so much bullshit.

Then the GM ripped me for it the next day. That was when I knew I had to leave.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

This shows all you need to know about Seinfeld. Larry King isn't even wrong; he essentially sets him up with a compliment. But the tone is wrong, so Seinfeld goes on this whole bit jacking himself off about how important he is. Like you could make the argument he's doing it for the laughs, but look at his face after King stops speaking. Dude is legit angry at the connotation that he, Jerry Seinfeld, could ever be cancelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVTP8xZCGVw

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Geoffrey Rush is a POS:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/opinion/metoo-defamation-geoffrey-rush-yael-stone.html

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I feel like I heard stories of Rush being a complete piece of poo poo/creep/rear end in a top hat coming out of the Peter Sellers HBO biopic thing he did, so that's not a surprise

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sucrose posted:

Meanwhile most of my friends worry about whether they should 17 or the full 20%. gently caress a Seinfeld.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Meanwhile most of my friends worry about whether they should 17 or the full 20%. gently caress a Seinfeld.

There was a story of Piven doing the same thing, only he left a dvd copy of Entourage as a tip.

Sorry, I've had that anecdote rattling round in my head for a really long time.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

This story is a good counterpoint to all the people who try to make out these poor powerful men as victims. She tried to handle this privately and one-on-one and Rush couldn't even be bothered to respond to her.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 17, 2018

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Gonna be hilarious when he gets accussed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

This shows all you need to know about Seinfeld. Larry King isn't even wrong; he essentially sets him up with a compliment. But the tone is wrong, so Seinfeld goes on this whole bit jacking himself off about how important he is. Like you could make the argument he's doing it for the laughs, but look at his face after King stops speaking. Dude is legit angry at the connotation that he, Jerry Seinfeld, could ever be cancelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVTP8xZCGVw

To be fair, Larry King is a complete buffoon who has literally fallen asleep during live interviews on multiple occasions so it's fun to see someone actually call him out on it for once.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You don't get to Seinfeld levels without gaining a massive ego.

Altho Tom Hanks? He's rad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Larry King sucks and Seinfeld was in the right there. You have one job, you’re the most famous person to have ever done that job, you’re interviewing one of the biggest celebrities of all time, take like the most cursory amount of time necessary to get your goddam facts straight lol.

No wonder Joe Rogan is absolutely bodying Larry King in terms of interviewer influence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There is a pretty massive difference between a network canceling your show and choosing to stop when it's one of the most successful shows currently airing, so I get why Seinfeld was a bit annoyed. He's a massive dick for other reasons, but thats not one of them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bust Rodd posted:

Larry King sucks and Seinfeld was in the right there. You have one job, you’re the most famous person to have ever done that job, you’re interviewing one of the biggest celebrities of all time, take like the most cursory amount of time necessary to get your goddam facts straight lol.

No wonder Joe Rogan is absolutely bodying Larry King in terms of interviewer influence.

Why the gently caress do you keep stanning for Joe Rogan? I know I just trashed one specific question by Larry King, but he was far more influential than Joe Rogan ever will be, loving Marc Maron is more influential than Rogan.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah but did Larry King ever make you EAT A CAMEL SPIDER!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

Why the gently caress do you keep stanning for Joe Rogan? I know I just trashed one specific question by Larry King, but he was far more influential than Joe Rogan ever will be, loving Marc Maron is more influential than Rogan.

Yeah that’s not what YouTube and Apple say but whatever. Joe Rogan has more downloads and streams that Marc Maron and Larry King’s combined total estimated viewership (Marc Maron is a fine person and funny but he is really not a big deal at all). I’m sorry you don’t like him, but he is the most far reaching interviewer in the history of Earth, LoL

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

more != better than

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but in depth 3 hour interviews that span a range of topics that aren’t curtailed by FCC regulations that reach a demonstrably wider audience are better, so...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Imagine going to bat this hard for Joe "I'm not a Nazi or conspiracy theorist, honest, I just love talking to them and giving them platforms and agreeing with them a lot more than anything else" Rogan :laffo:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah but did Larry King ever make you EAT A CAMEL SPIDER!!

Not me personally but he got a couple of my bros

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chris James 2 posted:

Imagine going to bat this hard for Joe "I'm not a Nazi or conspiracy theorist, honest, I just love talking to them and giving them platforms and agreeing with them a lot more than anything else" Rogan :laffo:

Someone posted a joke a while back that went like:

Guest: Aliens and the US Government did 9/11.
Rogan: How do you know that?
Guest: I can't say at this time.
Rogan (stunned): Whoa.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chris James 2 posted:

Imagine huffing wet egg farts from a bag so hard that you believe talking to someone makes you complicit in their crimes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Imagine huffing wet egg farts from a bag so hard that you believe talking to someone makes you complicit in their crimes.

you give lovely people a platform to spread their poo poo, it makes you lovely too

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bust Rodd posted:

Dude, don't do this.

Giving fash-like people a platform is bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok but what about the literally thousands of hours of science and technology and social reform that he's featured on his show? Does 30 episodes of Jordan Peterson/Candace Owens/Ben Shapiro really take his entire body of work and make it void? (also, everyone thinks he super agrees with all these people but if you watched or listened you'd realize that he definitely cuts them off and questions them when they get into stupid nazi/immigration poo poo and mostly just talks to them about their views on modern PC culture and why they disagree).

Its just funny to see the endless frothing at the mouth by people against Joe Rogan when he does so many good things for so many people but he has questionable guests on his show with bad opinions and suddenly he's the loving Pogram of the 4th Reich. It's just a hilariously reactionary viewpoint that indicates, among other things, complete ignorance of the subject.

It's whatever, you don't have to like him, but pretending he agrees with these morons on everything is just wrong. It doesnt matter how mealy-mouthed your complaints are, you're asserting a falsehood, and I just think it's really funny how incredibly CHUD-ly it is to just incessantly bleat about how something is bad without engaging or attempting to understand it. It's like the definition of conservatism but it's ok because you don't like him. Why does this apply to Joe Rogan and not to like, every major media outlet?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Howard Stern(please don't derail about all the reasons you hate Howard Stern) had a KKK member on as a regular guest in the 90's and early 2000s, and while they always were very clear on the show that this guy was here to be mocked and made the butt of jokes about how out of touch he was, it was controversial and Stern was regularly criticized for it. He's spoken openly on the show about his conflicted feelings about giving an openly racist man a platform, and his philosophy has always been that these things are better dealt with openly in the light of day, where you can point a finger and laugh at them for the absurdity that they are.

Certainly I can understand why some would disagree with that, and I've gone back and forth on it over the years. But what Rogan does is I think a bit different in that he seems to really go out of his way to allow his guests to put their views forward without direct contradiction from Rogan himself. Stern was kinda the opposite, he was having the guy on for the express purpose of trying to make the KKK look as dumb as possible.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok but what about the literally thousands of hours of science and technology and social reform that he's featured on his show?

jesus christ lmao

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don't listen to Stern but aren't his interviews generally 45 minutes tops? Or is that just what google is showing?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Bust Rodd posted:

Does 30 episodes of Jordan Peterson/Candace Owens/Ben Shapiro really take his entire body of work and make it void?

build a thousand bridges, yet if you suck a SINGLE nazi's cock....

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the most charitable reading of joe rogan is that he's a useful idiot to a bunch of intensely repugnant human beings instead of an outright ally

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok but what about the literally thousands of hours of science and technology and social reform that he's featured on his show? Does 30 episodes of Jordan Peterson/Candace Owens/Ben Shapiro really take his entire body of work and make it void? (also, everyone thinks he super agrees with all these people but if you watched or listened you'd realize that he definitely cuts them off and questions them when they get into stupid nazi/immigration poo poo and mostly just talks to them about their views on modern PC culture and why they disagree).

lol what in the world

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"It's okay, he cuts them off when they get really racist and just encourages them to talk about how those snowflakes need to shut up!"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah that’s not what YouTube and Apple say but whatever. Joe Rogan has more downloads and streams that Marc Maron and Larry King’s combined total estimated viewership

Weird stat to know off-hand, but I assume you've been through this before.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
"He doesn't agree with them, he just likes to spend hours talking to them and also hang out with them as well."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't listen to Stern but aren't his interviews generally 45 minutes tops? Or is that just what google is showing?

Stern didn't actually interview the KKK guy as if he was a real guest, he was considered part of the "wack pack". So they'd basically throw him into games with mentally ill people and then make fun of him for being an old curmudgeonly racist.

I think it was probably done in the (misguided) spirit of hey the KKK is over, we beat them, so now we get to trot them out and point our fingers and laugh at them. A lot of people made that mistake of thinking white supremacy, as a mainstream movement, had been defeated.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Basebf555 posted:

Howard Stern(please don't derail about all the reasons you hate Howard Stern) had a KKK member on as a regular guest in the 90's and early 2000s, and while they always were very clear on the show that this guy was here to be mocked and made the butt of jokes about how out of touch he was, it was controversial and Stern was regularly criticized for it. He's spoken openly on the show about his conflicted feelings about giving an openly racist man a platform, and his philosophy has always been that these things are better dealt with openly in the light of day, where you can point a finger and laugh at them for the absurdity that they are.

Certainly I can understand why some would disagree with that, and I've gone back and forth on it over the years. But what Rogan does is I think a bit different in that he seems to really go out of his way to allow his guests to put their views forward without direct contradiction from Rogan himself. Stern was kinda the opposite, he was having the guy on for the express purpose of trying to make the KKK look as dumb as possible.

and that's why today, in 2018, the KKK has less power than ever and their views are completely wiped out

wait

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The gently caress does any of this have to do with sexual assault

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vegetable posted:

The gently caress does any of this have to do with sexual assault

bust rodd just had to come in with his sick burn on larry king :shrug:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/heerjeet/status/1074731452137234432?s=21
"teen lover" :chloe:

E:

quote:

Open and thoughtful, Engelhardt unspools a life story that took root in a strict German immigrant household and blossomed into a Zelig-esque series of adventures as she attempted to break into modeling: partying with Iman, jet-setting with Adnan Khashoggi, dining with Stephen King, working as a personal assistant to Jeffrey Epstein, the billionaire financier later convicted for soliciting an underage girl.

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

and remember folks, this is not the 16 year old that has been generally known as the one who inspired the "romantic" lead in Manhattan, nor the 17 year old that he began an affair with who was his wife's adopted daughter.

this is a different "teen lover"