Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jon Joe posted:

show good

Wanna meet that show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
New av's kinda ugly with the space. It's too bad cuz I feel like the full pose with the hands in pockets is way better than just the top bit, but if it bugs me enough I'll probably just pare it down to the top one later.

e: didn't take long for me to get tired of that. Oh and here's the full source pic if anyone's interested:

Anyway,

Jon Joe posted:

show good

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 13, 2018

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
well looking around a few things, finding
code:
#thread dl.userinfo dd.title img:first-child {

padding-bottom: 4px;

}
in forums.css and removing the padding fixes the line

dunno if itd gently caress other things up tho

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the subject of the original show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZ68Ch7-ys

Bear in mind He-Man and She-Ra are SIBLINGS as you listen to this.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

HappyKitty posted:

Has there been any scuttlebutt about the possibility of a Horde Prime, like there was in the original series? I think it'd be interesting if it turns out that Etheria is just one (albeit important) colony among lots of others

I'm not sure about any of the rest, but there was a line that stood out to me that referred to the horde as having "arrived" on Etheria at some point, so this seems likely.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

4/10 for story
8/10 for art
GAAAY/10 for gayness

GAAAY/10 overall

Gay++ would watch again

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rewatching episodes today just reminds me what a sweetheart Scorpia is to everyone around her; even people she's fighting she treats politely.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augh, god, the argument between Adora and Catra in the temple was so painful. And I'm still so sad too, because now there's no way this can resolve beyond her getting a tank thrown at her.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Sikreci posted:

4/10 for story
8/10 for art
GAAAY/10 for gayness

GAAAY/10 overall

Gay++ would watch again

A bit generous with the art imo but this is the fairest review of the show I've read so far.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I award She-Ra points over Steven Universe just for being devoid of fuckin whimsy ukulele songs

(I know whimsy is core to SU and I'm making an unfair criticism)

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Typical Pubbie posted:

A bit generous with the art imo but this is the fairest review of the show I've read so far.

This game gets a million art points from me for the new character designs, so I'm more than good with an 8.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
It's Jane Lane from Daria voicing Catra, isn't it?
I mostly enjoyed this, but they certainly need a bigger animation budget. Glimmer was pretty irritating as well.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Andrew_1985 posted:

It's Jane Lane from Daria voicing Catra, isn't it?
I mostly enjoyed this, but they certainly need a bigger animation budget. Glimmer was pretty irritating as well.

Nah, AJ Michalka.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The art is perfectly fine. Strangely I don't really care much for the Catra and Adora conflict, because we all know Catra isn't in a place where she is going to do any good or learn. Not this season anyway.

Scorpia though will 100 percent turn against Hordak at some point. She is just too great not to.

Also I want to see more of her skills of an artist. She makes drawing fun!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

The art is perfectly fine. Strangely I don't really care much for the Catra and Adora conflict, because we all know Catra isn't in a place where she is going to do any good or learn. Not this season anyway.

Scorpia though will 100 percent turn against Hordak at some point. She is just too great not to.

What about Draw Squad but with Scorpia? I could totally see her sing the Shade song.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Someone (maybe here?) pointed out that all the Horde vehicles seem kind of scorpion-themed, and that maybe in addition to hosting them, Scorpia's family might be bankrolling Hordak.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

Someone (maybe here?) pointed out that all the Horde vehicles seem kind of scorpion-themed, and that maybe in addition to hosting them, Scorpia's family might be bankrolling Hordak.

I think it's stated in the show itself that this is the case, that he was given the land by her family and they are working in conjunction.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilmiera posted:

Scorpia’s the embodiment of :thunkher: and it’s great

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I feel like Scorpia is inevitably gonna switch sides because she's just so friendly she will inevitably befriend someone the Horde persecutes and come to the same realisation Adora did.

Catra will absolutely take this well.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think I'd actually like to see more about Scorpia's background, like if there's other details to that "my parents will chill with the Horde" that she was kept in the dark about. Something to give her a bit more complicated arc.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

nerdman42 posted:

I think I'd actually like to see more about Scorpia's background, like if there's other details to that "my parents will chill with the Horde" that she was kept in the dark about. Something to give her a bit more complicated arc.

I am not sure I do. Sometimes simple works, and Scorpia kinda embodies simple. In her case that absolutely works for her.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Typical Pubbie posted:

It would just be an utterly mediocre show if the state of queer representation in media wasn't so dire. But it is, so this is one of my favorite shows of the year.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sikreci posted:

It would just be an utterly mediocre show if the state of queer representation in media wasn't so dire. But it is, so this is one of my favorite shows of the year.

Eh I feel like that's a bit harsh. The Catra, Shadoweaver and Adora thing is great and would be even if Catra and Adora weren't hyper gay.

I also like Glimmer a lot more than most seem to. She has a good solid arc. It'd still be a pretty good cartoon even if it wasn't gayer than a tree full of monkeys.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The big gay was just a diversion. The real moral of She-ra is that it is actually good and evil that must exist on a scale, moral absolutism is a force of destruction and that the only way to break out of a cycle of abuse is to sever with your evil cat.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
My favorite twitter fan artist has discovered the Japanese dub of new She-Ra.
https://twitter.com/irukasango/status/1073410512568762369
https://twitter.com/irukasango/status/1074197115746701312
https://twitter.com/irukasango/status/1074203509803823109

CaptainCrunch fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 17, 2018

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

Eh I feel like that's a bit harsh.
Yeah maybe. Most cartoons seem mediocre when measured against ATLA.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

A Sometimes Food posted:

Eh I feel like that's a bit harsh. The Catra, Shadoweaver and Adora thing is great and would be even if Catra and Adora weren't hyper gay.

I also like Glimmer a lot more than most seem to. She has a good solid arc. It'd still be a pretty good cartoon even if it wasn't gayer than a tree full of monkeys.

She had a good arc, but because she's in most of the episodes it's really easy for her to start to grate on you if you're not 100% on board with her. I was so happy when she finally resolved things with her mom because I had grown tired of her constantly trying to dodge that particular issue.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is Adora, though? I kept getting the vibe that one of their huge issues is that Catra fell in love and Adora was an oblivious friend.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Is Adora, though? I kept getting the vibe that one of their huge issues is that Catra fell in love and Adora was an oblivious friend.

I didn't get that feeling. I thought Adora wasn't oblivious so much as she simply took Catra for granted. Catra's point about how she was treated as a sidekick, and if she followed Adora out of the Horde she's go back to being her sidekick again stung so much because it was true.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Catra always had issues with being in Adora's shadow though she kept it a secret from her. If she left the Horde and joined the Rebellion then she would have just been in She-Ra's even bigger shadow. Though Catra herself did not realize this at first.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Cat-ra was never gonna be happy competing in the same field as Adora because their evil mom would favor her no matter what. Its not so much being in the shadow as having the shade thrown over her because it didn't matter if she showed her direct superiority to Adora in any way, their evil mom and command was intrinsically going to favor Adora. This is the root of the mild but constant bullying you see her doing and gloating when she was clearly superior such as during the monkey bars swinging thing, its a catharsis thing. The fact she didn't change sides is probably because now she had an opportunity to grow unimpeded and finally exercise her potential, gently caress over evil mom and become the gay cat boss lady she always wanted to be. In fact its probably only that she loved Adora that she didn't slit her throat growing up and drop her body on hordak's pillow or something. She'd have probably defected if Adora had just proposed 'Lets loving ditch this place and evil mom' instead of 'Join the rebels with me' because the latter would've been Adora casting off her unknowing privilege AND pissing off evil mom while leveling the playing field. instead she chose to become the chosen one of the opposite side... essentially being the chosen one AGAIN in a new setting.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Kinda binged through it this morning. Was pretty good. First impression during some of the fights is that it kind of hits my usual annoyance with a lot of fantasy/supernatural action stuff that like, it's hard sometimes to sell the heroes being underdogs in a conflict when the good side has like, most of the really super powerful characters.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Zerilan posted:

Kinda binged through it this morning. Was pretty good. First impression during some of the fights is that it kind of hits my usual annoyance with a lot of fantasy/supernatural action stuff that like, it's hard sometimes to sell the heroes being underdogs in a conflict when the good side has like, most of the really super powerful characters.

I was going to say "well the Horde has the advantage of sheer numbers" but I guess thinking about it you don't ever actually see that until the finale, which was still only a couple dozen guys. There's kind of a problem with scale. The big picture never really gets shown and is just sort of implied by the fact that the heroes are the ones being called a rebellion, meaning the Horde are the ones with the most control at the moment.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

These are really fun and good. Wish it was easier to communicate that than via English to the artist.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

evilmiera posted:

These are really fun and good. Wish it was easier to communicate that than via English to the artist.

She reads enough english to know what you mean if you say something like "These are fun and good and make me happy." ;)

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so I remember youtube being filled with people making GBS threads on the promo or trailer for this show, now that its out ( I don't have NF anymore) is there still reeeing about it or did it all go away.

Happy to hear its good.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

evilmiera posted:

have you tried the heart eyes emoji??

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

so I remember youtube being filled with people making GBS threads on the promo or trailer for this show, now that its out ( I don't have NF anymore) is there still reeeing about it or did it all go away.

Happy to hear its good.

The whining never really goes away, but we don't really care. As long as the show stands on its own that is.

As for emojis, I said I wanted to thank the artist not scare them away from the Internet.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ups_rail posted:

Happy to hear its good.

its still super gay so of course the hate will spring eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

Happy to hear its good.

Neckbeards are still caterwauling about Eighties She-Ra's titties being denied to them. Pay no attention.