Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Penisface posted:

hehehe told the boss today that i got a hugely better offer, and he said it was really sudden and surprising

no, you dumbass, we have been talking about this for the last 2-3 months; even before i started you knew i was accepting an offer way way below market rate

go ahead, hire that intern you were frantically talking to when i was leaving the office today, i am sure he is up to it

i really wanted this job to work out well, i really did - i figured the low pay would be offset by wfh or more days off but nah

gently caress em for real, until I can work up the guts to bail on this job I've barely had for 3 months I'll just have to live vicariously through you. Interviewing sucks, new jobs suck, all jobs suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ADINSX posted:

Interviewing sucks, new jobs suck, all jobs suck

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
actually my job owns

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

actually my job owns

would you do it for free?

what i mean is, imagine becoming independently wealthy and your paycheck is now meaningless. do you keep your job. is it really the best use you can think of for a third of your waking life

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

haven't worked out how I'm gonna go ab out bailing on mine either

well specifically I've got no beef with telling the company or boss, just the team--feels bad to cut and run and play hob with their schedule potentially three times in a calendar year, lol

oh well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

well specifically I've got no beef with telling the company or boss, just the team--feels bad to cut and run and play hob with their schedule potentially three times in a calendar year, lol

oh well

It's a letter that says " I am resigning effective the Xth of Jantober. Sincerely ciaphas." And nothing else

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

There's always the Bloody maneuver but that isn't really recommended most of the time

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ok now i'm curious

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ciaphas posted:

oh well

i cannot wait to read your post after you officially resign and feel the massive wave of relief

first time i quit i was feeling the same stuff as you and let me tell you: you're in for a treat

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

oh well

I mentally committed to seeing if things turn around by December... Like every company they have "really cool work" coming up and I wanted to give them time to make good on that promise....

Unfortunately also like every company they have a staggering amount of tech debt... except way more than most. Pair that with what seems like a total lack of a dedicated full time ops team and its a whole lot of poo poo that I didn't sign up for.("on call" here means you're on call for... everything... I've been at places that had "on call" but its always meant you're second-line support for projects you've worked on, which isn't great but its understandable... but here it means every few weeks you're fighting fires full time)

I'd be willing to look the other way if I wasn't also being paid a good 20-40k below market rate (when you include big company perks we don't have like stock grants and significant bonuses). I took a job at a small company so I wouldn't be another cog, with the understanding that smaller companies here simply can't compete with the big companies on salary... however I seem to have found myself in the worst of both worlds.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

ok now i'm curious

The Bloody Maneuver?

Instead of sending your resignation to your boss and HR, you accidentally send them a copy of your signed offer letter

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

what i mean is, imagine becoming independently wealthy and your paycheck is now meaningless. do you keep your job. is it really the best use you can think of for a third of your waking life

I already don't do 8 hours a day grind, but I would still spend a significant amount of time on it. Except it would be open source I guess. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

The Bloody Maneuver?

Instead of sending your resignation to your boss and HR, you accidentally send them a copy of your signed offer letter
lmao

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

The Bloody Maneuver?

loving smooth

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
"accidentally"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Doom Mathematic posted:

"accidentally"

well, when he originally did it, it was accidental, yes

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I bombed the gently caress out of my Google interview. Stay mushy anxiety brain.

Psych gave me a script for propranolol for the anxiety and it stopped my heart from beating out of my chest like normal, but the mush brain didn't go away. I talked through the problem well just actually typing the code to execute what I said didn't go too hot.

More practice and studying and on to the next.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

honestly its actually pretty cool and i get to be involved in a lot of things that help people who need it, so maybe. would i work as many hours? probably not.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

is amazon lab126 a shitshow?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

I bombed the gently caress out of my Google interview. Stay mushy anxiety brain.

Psych gave me a script for propranolol for the anxiety and it stopped my heart from beating out of my chest like normal, but the mush brain didn't go away. I talked through the problem well just actually typing the code to execute what I said didn't go too hot.

initially read this as propofol lmao

propofol and interviewing: probably not great

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Captain Foo posted:

The Bloody Maneuver?

this is never not hilarious

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

honestly its actually pretty cool and i get to be involved in a lot of things that help people who need it, so maybe. would i work as many hours? probably not.

that's awesome and i am a little bit consumed by envy. my job only owns compared to other jobs

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

I know the feeling, it sucks. I’ve tried clonazepam and it helps but not that much

what sucks even worse is having your phone autocorrect words to the company’s name for a year or two afterwards too, across keyboard resets, because the keyboard of course “learns” from all your correspondence

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

The Bloody Maneuver?

lol, amazing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

KidDynamite posted:

wait they expected your to live code a functioning application? what the gently caress. who cares if a thing compiles, the point is supposed to be to see how you think and approach problems.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

jit bull transpile posted:

wait they expected your to live code a functioning application? what the gently caress. who cares if a thing compiles, the point is supposed to be to see how you think and approach problems.

Thats not the style anymore. Based on my recent experience a lot of companies have moved to the "pair" programming with an online editor or something... On the one hand its nice to be able to type code, since I almost never write it on the board. On the other hand, they actually wanna see it run, so most of your time is frantically hunting dumb off by one errors or remembering syntax, you know, critical things in your day to day job

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

is amazon lab126 a shitshow?

i mean it seems like amazon is really interested in pumping out its hardware right now so there's probably lots of work but there's probably also lots of crunch, and like any hardware environment by a not traditionally hardware org its probably terrifying on the inside?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

the point is supposed to be to see how you think and approach problems.

just keep repeating this and maybe someday it will be true :shrug:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

No not expected to compile just loving up my closure logic and needing help from the interviewer on actually writing code to match what I’m saying.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Is AWS as huge a cluster gently caress as I imagine it is? I have a call with a recruiter on Friday (preliminary stuff, he knows I'm not looking for a few months).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Penisface posted:

on the other hand i am not here to play the 50 year game of kiss rear end and they know that too

lol what are you doing in japan then

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ADINSX posted:

Thats not the style anymore. Based on my recent experience a lot of companies have moved to the "pair" programming with an online editor or something... On the one hand its nice to be able to type code, since I almost never write it on the board. On the other hand, they actually wanna see it run, so most of your time is frantically hunting dumb off by one errors or remembering syntax, you know, critical things in your day to day job

yep, this blows rear end. the only good version of this I’ve had was one where the interviewer asked me to have a dev environment set up ahead of time and screenshare my ide so I could deal with syntax bullshit the way I’m used to (ie let IntelliJ handle it)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Arcsech posted:

yep, this blows rear end. the only good version of this I’ve had was one where the interviewer asked me to have a dev environment set up ahead of time and screenshare my ide so I could deal with syntax bullshit the way I’m used to (ie let IntelliJ handle it)

this was exactly how my last interview went, on codeinterview.io or whatever the gently caress. i stumbled so hard so long on dumb compilation/debug problems that i ran out of time/overlooked something else

fuckin interviewing, man.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
when i'm doing leetcode type stuff i write my code out as a comment first, write a quick little test harness to verify expected inputs+outputs, and then start writing the function to be invoked

seems like this might be the way to approach that sort of interview? speaking hypothetically as i haven't done one myself.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I had a recent goog interview and they did not expect the travesty I puked up to compile.

Thank gently caress.

I have had a few interviews where it was a pair programming deal in leetcode or hackerrank, so yeah def worth it to learn the ins and outs of those. Leetcode is pretty slick in that most problems allow you to hand jam input and it'll show the actual output vs your output. Hackerrank may have this too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

that was actually my second time doing it and I have had a good experience with neither

I'll practice because i have to but bleh on any interviewer who doesn't think i'm gonna doof it up under severe time pressure

(e) as opposed to the ones just watching what you do rather than your success rate, of course

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 18, 2018

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Penisface posted:

hehehe told the boss today that i got a hugely better offer, and he said it was really sudden and surprising

no, you dumbass, we have been talking about this for the last 2-3 months; even before i started you knew i was accepting an offer way way below market rate

i got this when i last left and im not sure if it's intentional cognitive dissonance on the part of people who should reasonably have the advantage in asymmetric negotiation (boss knows the salaries of people on the team/presumably has access to general info about what HR pays people with similar skillsets in other departments, whereas i have what i can skim off glassdoor/totally-not-intentionally-posted-in-low-traffic-area H1B notices/goading drunk coworkers into disclosing pay) or actual inability to comprehend that basic CoL raises on top of original salary arent enough to keep underpaid people around if a better offer comes around.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

i got this when i last left and im not sure if it's intentional cognitive dissonance on the part of people who should reasonably have the advantage in asymmetric negotiation (boss knows the salaries of people on the team/presumably has access to general info about what HR pays people with similar skillsets in other departments, whereas i have what i can skim off glassdoor/totally-not-intentionally-posted-in-low-traffic-area H1B notices/goading drunk coworkers into disclosing pay) or actual inability to comprehend that basic CoL raises on top of original salary arent enough to keep underpaid people around if a better offer comes around.

its cuz they decide the pay situation based on ideology, not the market

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its cuz they decide the pay situation based on ideology, not the market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i literally make less than I used to back in post soviet Eastern Europe on a 4 day work week. i never came to japan for the big paycheck or sweet working conditions, but this really does seem to be the standard here that you absolutely will be paid the least that is possible and you will be pressured and cajoled at every point to work overtime and devote yourself to the company and expect to receive nothing in return

after all i should be glad to have the job you see :)