Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Hollismason posted:

For those who have seen it how actually disturbing or gross is this.

On a scale of Poltergeist to Cannibal Holocaust

Maybe not Cannibal Holocaust but still pretty grisly

warez fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Weak Sauce then.

These loving poseurs with their " Oh its the most disturbing film " bullshit.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hollismason posted:

For those who have seen it how actually disturbing or gross is this.

On a scale of Poltergeist to Cannibal Holocaust

For the most part it's closer to American Psycho and Funny Games, but because it's in von Trier's own more essayist narrative style it sometimes gets into a kind of classic exploitation film tell of just casually juxtaposing a literal clipshow from his filmography with, like, another montage of real world atrocities and human rights abuses. That part is definitely akin to Cannibal Holocaust. Although von Trier never stages anything of his own creation that is intrinsically unethical for spectacle, he and Deodato have a kindred reactionary anti-elitist chip, this idea that the film intrinsically presents as laughable, that what von Trier does to curry such vitriol is incompatible with any proportional response to violence or misogyny or nihilism or whatever in reality.

Of course, Deodato, the butcher, never expressed any humility. The House That Jack Built ends with an almost didactically spelled-out metaphor of how an artist can not reach heaven by plumbing the depths of hell.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

For the most part it's closer to American Psycho and Funny Games, but because it's in von Trier's own more essayist narrative style it sometimes gets into a kind of classic exploitation film tell of just casually juxtaposing a literal clipshow from his filmography with, like, another montage of real world atrocities and human rights abuses. That part is definitely akin to Cannibal Holocaust. Although von Trier never stages anything of his own creation that is intrinsically unethical for spectacle, he and Deodato have a kindred reactionary anti-elitist chip, this idea that the film intrinsically presents as laughable, that what von Trier does to curry such vitriol is incompatible with any proportional response to violence or misogyny or nihilism or whatever in reality.

Of course, Deodato, the butcher, never expressed any humility. The House That Jack Built ends with an almost didactically spelled-out metaphor of how an artist can not reach heaven by plumbing the depths of hell.

Ha, I actually thought he made it to his heaven, what with the whole image of hell flipping into its negative when he finally fell. The whole movie he was trying to get caught and getting more and more brazen and literally yelling angrily into the void and waiting for an answer. He ended up exactly where he wanted.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
I really loving hated this movie. I think a lot of the gripes I had were because of intentional choices that just combined into a very unenjoyable time. On a story level, I couldn't care about anything going on because there's no real emotional relationship to any characters. The supporting cast is never given any time to develop because of how the film was arranged into chapters, and Jack himself is an emotionless psychopath. Who can you relate to and why does what happens matter? It's very nihilistic, which, again, was intentional.

The narration is obscenely pretentious and self-serious and the best comparison I can make is to that youtube nazi intellectual whos character is a animated suit of armor. I know the movie is arguing more than "killing is art" but that's the biggest theme hammered in. It's a flagrantly personal movie which is interesting, and Lars really exposes himself in a way I can't remember ever seeing any filmmaker do before. But the whole time I'm watching this movie I can't get the image out of my head of the person making this film being a hardcore edgelord. This movie is very weird in this particular time, where everyone under 30 whos angry and has ideas has a youtube channel or podcast. It's very of it's time.

There's some hosed up stuff in this movie, but it just feels like it's coming from a place of wanting to offend instead of creativity. This movie thinks it's the TV series Hannibal but it's really just a classier Saw sequel. I can relate my experience watching this to watching the Uwe Boll movie Rampage, in that it feels like a movie that wants to offend and disgust SO HARD that my reaction is to just tell the movie to gently caress off.

Some of the segments were memorable. The epilogue was great. The taxidermied kid is a horrifying visual.

As you can tell, I'm conflicted. I know that there's a lot of deep reads that can be made that I'm not even thinking about, and I know this movie has a lot of depth, and some great visuals, and nice David Bowie breaks peppered throughout. Hey, it's different enough to make me think and make me ponder. On the other hand, gently caress this movie. It was correct to screen it out at Cannes.

Edit: forgot my last and favorite comparison. This is the movie LVT makes after spending a month binging all the metal gear solid games. All of them.

Macaroni Surprise fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 15, 2018

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Thought it was ok, made in good humor and an earnest response to the haters, which I hope said haters engage with. He doesn't really apologize for anything yes, but is well aware of the optics of the situation and does acknowledge his poor behavior over the years, and the selfishness of some ways he thought about such things.

I think it's great that Lars kinda admits that he's kinda just gonna hit late style and how fast the money is gonna stop rolling in once he does.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Found out this was on Vudu today, gave it a watch even though it (probably) wasn't the unedited version. I have to say it was... fine? Like I was kind of hype for this movie despite being lukewarm on Von Trier in-general, I mean I've only seen Breaking the Waves and Nymphomaniac and they were entertaining enough. Von Trier is definitely a good director, but sometimes he kind of falters in his writing, dialogue, etc. And all of his movies seem overlong, like he just can't bring himself to make cuts to add "flow" to the narrative.

Lot of good visual moments though. I think "Mr Grumpy" is going to haunt my waking nightmares forever now, holy loving poo poo that was grim and horrifying.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I caught this today and was unimpressed. The first half was kind of hilarious. Last part not as much. Overall it was just kind of boring.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i really liked it, it was funny and the ending was lots of fun

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It premiered here in NZ at a movie marathon last weekend, which was quite the thing to stick in the middle of a bunch of easy going old exploitation movies.

Do we have a good idea of what's out for the R-rated cut yet?
I'm guessing:
Not seeing the middle-aged lady's body after the dragging.
For the 'family' section, not looking down the sights while the kids are shot, not seeing a wide shot of them propped up for the picnic, and a total removal of him posing Mr. Grumpy.
No explicit breast cutting, and maybe a reduction in stranglings overall.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Teenage Fansub posted:

It premiered here in NZ at a movie marathon last weekend, which was quite the thing to stick in the middle of a bunch of easy going old exploitation movies.

Do we have a good idea of what's out for the R-rated cut yet?
I'm guessing:
Not seeing the middle-aged lady's body after the dragging.
For the 'family' section, not looking down the sights while the kids are shot, not seeing a wide shot of them propped up for the picnic, and a total removal of him posing Mr. Grumpy.
No explicit breast cutting, and maybe a reduction in stranglings overall.

It's only about 80 seconds or so, but point one and two are definitely in the R rated VOD cut. The last one seemed like it definitely had some cuts, pardon the pun.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

It's only about 80 seconds or so, but point one and two are definitely in the R rated VOD cut. The last one seemed like it definitely had some cuts, pardon the pun.

The 'Family' chapter is intact? I can't quite believe that.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I haven't seen the unrated edit, but it definitely felt like some cuts were made to that sequence in the R-rated VOD version.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I only saw the VOD cut, but my friend went to the unrated screening and there was at least a shot of the kid getting his leg blown off and a shot of Riley Keough post-breast removal that were cut.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Teenage Fansub posted:

I mean I have no frame of reference but the Family chapter seemed mostly fine although it wouldn't surprise me if there was some trimming around the actual kids being shot - they get pegged in the leg and head respectively, but there's no fountains of gore, while the Riley Keogh chapter has a very abrupt cut when he raises the knife to her chest, before cutting to the streetside where he puts the breast on the windshield . The half-face of Incident 2 was there in full view, and the taxidermy lesson/Mr. Grumpy bits seemed intact as well, and in Incident 1 there were some shots of the jack attack that felt truncated and shorter than the trailer , but I think the cuts didn't diminish the message at all.

Also, the cut to credits might be the best comedic beat of 2018.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I didn't find it that gruesome really. Everyone acted like it was really grisly and it just wasn't.

Overall I just thought it was okay. The beginning was really good but the end was kind of a let down.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I didn't find it that gruesome really. Everyone acted like it was really grisly and it just wasn't.

Overall I just thought it was okay. The beginning was really good but the end was kind of a let down.

The scenes that involve Jack messing around with the corpse of a small child, and the graphic stranglings stood out to me as scenes that would be considered way over the line in any mainstream horror movie.

So it's not like a new benchmark or anything, but the content is extreme enough that I understand why it would be mentioned alongside movies like Martyrs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The scenes that involve Jack messing around with the corpse of a small child, and the graphic stranglings stood out to me as scenes that would be considered way over the line in any mainstream horror movie.

So it's not like a new benchmark or anything, but the content is extreme enough that I understand why it would be mentioned alongside movies like Martyrs.

I wouldn't out this in even the same level as Martrys and other than a few scenes could have been pg 13. Even the Hunting scene was rather tame

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I wouldn't out this in even the same level as Martrys and other than a few scenes could have been pg 13. Even the Hunting scene was rather tame

Dude I love you but you're nuts if you think it had any chance of PG-13. And the hunting scene isn't really what I'm talking about, it's what comes after.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Hollismason posted:

Man I think it's been subject to the Cannes/film festival frenzy of "PEOPLE ARE FAINTING AT THIS MOVIE" (see also: Raw), but the whole conceit of a sociopathic murderer justifying his violence is never gonna fly at a PG-13 level regardless of how much violence is or isn't shown

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's 100% not a PG film but it feels tamer than Antichrist

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Saw this last night and really liked it. Wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it was. Echoing what someone else said in the thread before It felt like him falling into the depths of Hell was really what he wanted the entire time.

I, Butthole posted:

This had me and the person I was watching it with laughing for like a minute straight.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

I, Butthole posted:

Absolutely. The cherry on top.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Watched this last night and still trying to get my head around it. I guess if the goal of art is to get an emotional reaction out of the audience, then this film succeeded. I just felt incredibly distraught watching it, especially at the child murder and the breast mutilation. Those sequences in particular really got under my skin.

LVT has clearly done his research though. If you've read up on American serial killers, there have been plenty of instances of the police returning a victim to the killer instead of helping them. That was frustrating to watch just because of how real it was.

Outside the boat shot, this wasn't as visually stunning as I had hoped, but that shot alone basically makes up for the rest of the film being gritty.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Watched this last night and still trying to get my head around it. I guess if the goal of art is to get an emotional reaction out of the audience, then this film succeeded. I just felt incredibly distraught watching it, especially at the child murder and the breast mutilation. Those sequences in particular really got under my skin.

LVT has clearly done his research though. If you've read up on American serial killers, there have been plenty of instances of the police returning a victim to the killer instead of helping them. That was frustrating to watch just because of how real it was.

Outside the boat shot, this wasn't as visually stunning as I had hoped, but that shot alone basically makes up for the rest of the film being gritty.

The cops turned one of Dahmer’s victims over into his care even though he had a hole drilled in his forehead because they believed him when he said the guy was his boyfriend and they don’t like to get involved in domestics

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DeimosRising posted:

The cops turned one of Dahmer’s victims over into his care even though he had a hole drilled in his forehead because they believed him when he said the guy was his boyfriend and they don’t like to get involved in domestics

And guys who reported Gacy but the police accepted that their rape and torture was consensual. At least those people lived.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any chance anyone knows if the version showing in the UK in Curzon cinemas is the unrated/director’s cut version or not? The one they have on demand is like 2 minutes longer

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turns out yes, it definitely is.

I really don’t know how to feel about this movie. It has some amazingly tense individual scenes, Dillon’s performance is incredible, the epilogue is brilliant, cinematography fantastic, and it makes its thematic points about human apathy/cruelty very well. But then some of the grosser stuff just comes off as exploitative, and most of the narration/dialogue between Jack and Verge in between the incidents was hot garbage. I think I like it more than I hated it, but the whole overall doesn’t add up to the sum of its parts.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
the movie's okay but Dillion is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

the movie's okay but Dillion is amazing

Yeah, Matt Dillon is very, very good. And the payoff to the scene with the cop during the second incident made me laugh really hard. Those things make up for the fact that it kinda drags sometimes.