Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

The start times for races were released and they all suck.

The Books-A-Million across from DIS is selling old race programs. I looked through them to try and see if they were reproductions but couldn't find any publishing information for anything short of the original release.

If they're not pricey and there's one you like it might be fun to pick one up, typically if it's a repro they mark it unless it's a straight up fake. If it has publishing info from the original run and the pages look normal and you don't see blurry printing, off kilter pages, or other signs it's from a scan you probably have the real McCoy- I would not be surprised if used booksellers in the Daytona area had piles of programs laying around. You might even do better if there's an independent used bookseller around there.

If you buy any, post pics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RCRracing/status/1073610356864544768

This may be a little too "GET OFFA MAH LAWN", but remember when drivers just took whatever number the team had run for years and we didn't have custom car numbers?

e- I guess the Bass Pro 8 doesn't look too bad but the 31 font was so good looking in general.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 14, 2018

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

They can't use the DEI 8 font because Teresa has an iron lawsuit grip on it. Looks pretty good all things considered and it's cool to see the number back

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

2019 will be the last year for one title sponsor of the Cup series: https://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/20181216/steve-phelps-says-nascars-model-changing-in-2020

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Very healthy & very cool racing series.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
The old model of having fans watching at the track and on television wasnt working

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This seems like a pretty solid attempt to replace the busted-rear end title sponsorship model that died after Sprint dipped tbh

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I hate to say it, but KidC is right. The monolithic sponsor model won't survive the current economy for much longer in any sport, it seems. Especially not this dead stupid car turning fast sport.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That article has more concrete details on what the new president did last weekend than what they mean by “new sponsorship model.” Just a promise it’ll be new and better for everyone.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I like that the series sponsor model is what the primary sponsor models for team owners is.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
July 21, 1956, NASCAR at Soldier Field:

https://twitter.com/Basso488/status/1074913813504258048

Edit: Won by Fireball Roberts.

https://www.racing-reference.info/race/1956-33/W

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 18, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mischief posted:

Especially not this dead stupid car turning fast sport.

I was ranting about this to a non-fan today (we were stuck in the same place for a while, and she puts up with my weird sports obsessions.) Her comment was, she'd watch NASCAR with me any day cuz my enthusiasm for things I enjoy is infectious, but she wouldn't try to watch it otherwise. At the same time, she'd be more inclined to pick up a more global sport like F1 or MotoGP just on the basis of it having, at a glance, more interesting technology, and that a sport with a more obviously global audience would have more of a hook for her because of its global scope.

I mean, outside of our dead gay forum membership, how many non-US folks are paying attention to NASCAR anyway?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I'll have you know my fiances trashy dad watches it from time to time

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's vanishingly tiny even in the UK, where you'd think it might have a chance, this is a country where the BTCC gets 8 hours coverage on an FTA network every round.

The main game is on a fairly obscure subscription sports channel and tiers 2 and 3 are buried on an even more obscure free mostly internet network that I've previously only used to watch an Ice Hockey match between the Milton Keynes Lightning and the Coventry Blaze.

Which I think gives you an idea of their resources.

Let's go Lightning!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I've got a playlist of the 2013 Battle at the Beach races from Daytona lined up in Winter Heat if anybody wants to watch at least one of them in the next couple days.

harperdc posted:

That article has more concrete details on what the new president did last weekend than what they mean by “new sponsorship model.” Just a promise it’ll be new and better for everyone.

quote:

NASCAR will move away from the one titled sponsor approach (Winston, Nextel/Sprint, Monster Energy) for its marquee Cup Series to a variety of sponsors pouring money into the entire system — NASCAR, TV partners, member tracks and race teams.

“We’re going to a new sponsorship model,” Phelps said. “It’s really more to make the sponsorship buy as easy as possible. As an industry, we are fairly fragmented. You have the sanctioning body, different tracks, race teams, drivers and broadcast partners; all these different groups you can contract with as a sponsor.

“We are trying to bring all of them under one umbrella. If you go to, for example, a company such as Coca-Cola, you can sell them a one-stop shop. It’s an ease in doing business. If you do that, it’s going to foster more sponsor activity.”

e- Bob Jenkins has been approached twice to do the "throwback" part of the Southern 500 broadcast and has had to turn it down both times: http://www.keepit35.com/where-are-they-now-bob-jenkins/

quote:

Bob Jenkins: I have turned down two opportunities to do that. The very first year I was urged to do so, but at that point I was suffering with a major spinal/neck problem. I was due for surgery shortly after the Southern 500, so I turned it down. Just this past year, I was asked if I might want to come. I said no because it would seem weird to me to go back, especially with not being as familiar with the drivers that I once was. I’m not sure that I would have fit in properly. I thank everybody for urging me to do so, but I think that it’s best for me to just stay back here in good ‘ol Indiana and watch on TV rather than participate.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 18, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've got a playlist of the 2013 Battle at the Beach races from Daytona lined up in Winter Heat if anybody wants to watch at least one of them in the next couple days.

e- Bob Jenkins has been approached twice to do the "throwback" part of the Southern 500 broadcast and has had to turn it down both times: http://www.keepit35.com/where-are-they-now-bob-jenkins/

Did I stutter? Let’s break it down

quote:

NASCAR will move away from the one titled sponsor approach (Winston, Nextel/Sprint, Monster Energy) for its marquee Cup Series to a variety of sponsors pouring money into the entire system — NASCAR, TV partners, member tracks and race teams.

Okay, so this is where they say what they’re going to do. Fair enough.

quote:

”We’re going to a new sponsorship model,” Phelps said.

Here’s where you expect details.

quote:

It’s really more to make the sponsorship buy as easy as possible. As an industry, we are fairly fragmented. You have the sanctioning body, different tracks, race teams, drivers and broadcast partners; all these different groups you can contract with as a sponsor.

“We are trying to bring all of them under one umbrella.

No examples of who, what, or when? This is straight “why”? And wouldn’t you want to do this when you and your partners can showcase this instead of floating it like a trial balloon?

quote:

If you go to, for example, a company such as Coca-Cola, you can sell them a one-stop shop. It’s an ease in doing business. If you do that, it’s going to foster more sponsor activity.”

Again: nothing about what this will actually look like for NASCAR. Does this mean a company sponsors The Chase and a handful of races and is Official _____ of NASCAR? Does this mean a company sponsors a track, its events there, and part of the season? Will this look like FIFA with global partners, the NFL, the NBA, or something different?

This is all what and why, there’s nothing in that section about how.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

mactheknife posted:

I'll have you know my fiances trashy dad watches it from time to time

Buy him an account.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dudley posted:

It's vanishingly tiny even in the UK, where you'd think it might have a chance, this is a country where the BTCC gets 8 hours coverage on an FTA network every round.

to be fair, BTCC weekends are pretty awesome.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

harperdc posted:

Did I stutter? Let’s break it down

Okay, so this is where they say what they’re going to do. Fair enough.

Here’s where you expect details.

No examples of who, what, or when? This is straight “why”? And wouldn’t you want to do this when you and your partners can showcase this instead of floating it like a trial balloon?

Again: nothing about what this will actually look like for NASCAR. Does this mean a company sponsors The Chase and a handful of races and is Official _____ of NASCAR? Does this mean a company sponsors a track, its events there, and part of the season? Will this look like FIFA with global partners, the NFL, the NBA, or something different?

This is all what and why, there’s nothing in that section about how.

It sounds to me like they're going to take the series' and apply the Roush style style of sponsoring. Which really does need the explanation of HOW it will help for the teams if NASCAR itself is going to vacuum up all the sponsors unless they're going to change into a model like other sports and actually revenue share. That would be shocking just on it's own, but I don't see how they would pull that off in any reasonable way that the teams actually get much out of it, or avoid favoring certain teams over others.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

-AJ Allmendinger is joining NBC.

-I may run the first of the 2013 Battle at the Beach races (the late model race) tonight in Winter Heat at 8 or 9 Eastern if anybody wants to watch.

Slickdrac posted:

It sounds to me like they're going to take the series' and apply the Roush style style of sponsoring. Which really does need the explanation of HOW it will help for the teams if NASCAR itself is going to vacuum up all the sponsors unless they're going to change into a model like other sports and actually revenue share. That would be shocking just on it's own, but I don't see how they would pull that off in any reasonable way that the teams actually get much out of it, or avoid favoring certain teams over others.

Jeff Gordon was vague but said on Dale Jr's Podcast something to the effect of the RTA being involved in whatever's coming, so it could be something which works to the benefit of the teams as well as the sanctioning body.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1075950059144052738

edit: lol

https://twitter.com/carpoff_jeff/status/1074429858820714496

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ooh. Wow, this...this is not ideal.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/how-dc-solar-became-a-renewable-energy-powerhouse-and-a-major-player-in-nascar.html

Published 20 DEC, my favorite part is the "after this went out dude got his place raided by the FBI" note

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NASCAR’s catching a whiff of the sports cars with behavior like this!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Santa WindyMan has brought us the gift of a :siren: Three Hour Figure 8 Race :siren:. Come and go as you like beginning at 8 Eastern.

CyTube Winter Heat.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Merry Christmas Nascar goons :)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Merry Christmas!

Daytona International Speedway's Christmas light display is pretty fun.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Basso488/status/1077856028488810496

Bad rear end.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

see the machinery he's using in front of him? he designed it and built it himself

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

VikingSkull posted:

see the machinery he's using in front of him? he designed it and built it himself

Smokey is a god amongst men. "Best Dam Garage In Town" is a pro read.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Basso488/status/1078174677644787712

33rd. 34th. Whatever.

:smug:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

How you get a car sponsored by UNO and don't run #1?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Peanut President posted:

How you get a car sponsored by UNO and don't run #1?

He forgot to call Uno and had to start at the back

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Smokey is a god amongst men. "Best Dam Garage In Town" is a pro read.

you know you're doing something right when Colin Chapman copies you

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bill Elliott probably should've been killed in a fighter jet crash in 1987:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cw_Ldmp0C0&t=128s

:stonklol:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

?

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bill Elliott probably should've been killed in a fighter jet crash in 1987:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cw_Ldmp0C0&t=128s

:stonklol:

Yeah, I never heard about that one.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Basso488/status/1078954204402774016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Owns unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
plate racing is bad and you should feel bad if you like it