Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It definitely does, beyond that part it slows way down and never becomes as good but it's still pretty enjoyable. Having never heard of this film and had no expectations (since the cover on Amazon is bad), it was a drat good surprise. Really wish it kept that level of gore throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched Mausoleum (Vinegar Syndrome's black friday release) yesterday and it was pretty fun. Surprisingly good makeup and gore effects for a low budget film like this. The rest of the film has some bad acting and writing and some very dull cinematography, but the supernatural/creepy stuff is a blast and looks really good. I think it is aware of this and doesn't waste much time on the boring stuff. If you like schlock and cheesy '80s horror, I'd recommend it.

Whoa, they remastered Mausoleum? I gotta get on that.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched Mausoleum (Vinegar Syndrome's black friday release) yesterday and it was pretty fun. Surprisingly good makeup and gore effects for a low budget film like this. The rest of the film has some bad acting and writing and some very dull cinematography, but the supernatural/creepy stuff is a blast and looks really good. I think it is aware of this and doesn't waste much time on the boring stuff. If you like schlock and cheesy '80s horror, I'd recommend it.

Saw this at the Alamo Drafthouse after seeing it a few years prior on YouTube. Trash on the big screen. It's a great kind of bad with a wonderfully nonsensical 'twist'.

I had forgotten about the caricature housekeeper tho. Jeepers.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Does Inferno hold the record for most cats thrown at an actor in a horror movie? Or are there any other contenders?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is it number of different cats thrown or number of times a cat is thrown? If the latter, The Tomb of Ligeia might win.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Popelmon posted:

Does Inferno hold the record for most cats thrown at an actor in a horror movie? Or are there any other contenders?

This is why I keep coming back to this thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Popelmon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emagoveDoIg

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is it number of different cats thrown or number of times a cat is thrown? If the latter, The Tomb of Ligeia might win.

I think that is a different award category.

I need to watch this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

I love that movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Freaking Bava going on about how he’d never work with cats again after being on that movie. Cats are great, just don’t throw them constantly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

War is horror, right? I saw They Shall Not Grow Old (Peter Jackson's World War 1 documentary featuring restored 100-year-old archive footage from the actual war) tonight and it was heartbreaking but really well done. Lots of gnarly shots of hosed up corpses, people that had trenchfoot, etc. The footage looked way better than something from that era, too. It didn't look like a movie made in 2018 obviously, but the footage looked several decades newer than it actually is.

Basically, if Peter Jackson is putting anywhere near the level of care into the restoration of Dead Alive as he did this one, it's really going to be something special.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

This is why I keep coming back to this thread.

This is why I keep cumming to this thread.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

War is horror, right? I saw They Shall Not Grow Old (Peter Jackson's World War 1 documentary featuring restored 100-year-old archive footage from the actual war) tonight and it was heartbreaking but really well done. Lots of gnarly shots of hosed up corpses, people that had trenchfoot, etc. The footage looked way better than something from that era, too. It didn't look like a movie made in 2018 obviously, but the footage looked several decades newer than it actually is.

Basically, if Peter Jackson is putting anywhere near the level of care into the restoration of Dead Alive as he did this one, it's really going to be something special.

I was planning on seeing this tonight but it's booked solid all of today and only has one other showing next week. Gonna check it out.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I hope it gets a wider release at some point. I was livid that it's only got two showings by me that are both during the week when I'm at work and I can't take the time off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Much as I mock Peter Jackson now I would mark out for Peter Jackson forever if his Dead Alive restoration has the full basement scene and other stuff. There's fan edits of it but for obvious reasons the quality ain't great and so even the unrated version from a while ago that's technically his director's cut is still missing like almost ten minutes of good stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 18, 2018

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I'd just like to take 5 minutes of your time for the opening to Dream Demon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-odCT2DWgk

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Thread lurker, just wanted to say thanks to whoever recommended Savageland. Amazon Prime is recommending what appears to be a bunch of junk to people who liked that movie, so I'll probably have to dig a bit further to find something else good.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Anyone with short film recommendations? Rewatched The Pledge and am gonna spend some time on shorter stuff tomorrow. Whistle and I’ll Come to You in top spot atm.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Seyser Koze posted:

Thread lurker, just wanted to say thanks to whoever recommended Savageland. Amazon Prime is recommending what appears to be a bunch of junk to people who liked that movie, so I'll probably have to dig a bit further to find something else good.

Give Triangle with Melissa George a shot

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

andelazo posted:

Anyone with short film recommendations? Rewatched The Pledge and am gonna spend some time on shorter stuff tomorrow. Whistle and I’ll Come to You in top spot atm.

Is Whistle and I’ll Come to you the best sheet-ghost in horror?

Tell me of other terrifying sheet-ghosts, if they exist.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Everyone kept talking about Screamers 1981 so I watched it last night and really enjoyed the he'll out of it. It's a excellent B movie fare with a mad scientist , lost world's , cool monsters and my personally favorite is straight up Gill Man makes a appearance.

Like it's legit great lost world monster B movie fare. It feels like something from the 50s.

Loved it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love that movie.

Honestly, Corman's Poe cycle might very well be the most consistently great horror series ever made. Eight entries, and they're all fantastic.

Drunkboxer posted:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Technically not a ghost.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

Is Whistle and I’ll Come to you the best sheet-ghost in horror?

Halloween? I’ve seen it done surprisingly effectively in an adaption of Hamlet during the opening but can’t think of much else. Certainly Whistle is the only time I’ve seen a legitimately spooky sheet ghost.

Triangle is surprisingly good. There was a copy at the blockbuster, in high school I’d walk past it to get to the sports/surfing section—it was placed next to Seminal Horror “Donkey Punch.” Watched it last year on the threads recommendation and was really impressed. Doesn’t outstay it’s welcome, though it seems like it should.

E: Thought about it, the only way I could see one better would be if you’d only seen the Ian McKellen adaptation.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 18, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hollismason posted:

Everyone kept talking about Screamers 1981 so I watched it last night and really enjoyed the he'll out of it. It's a excellent B movie fare with a mad scientist , lost world's , cool monsters and my personally favorite is straight up Gill Man makes a appearance.

Like it's legit great lost world monster B movie fare. It feels like something from the 50s.

Loved it.

It really is super rad overall, I'm glad folks in the thread are checking it out now. :D

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

andelazo posted:

Literally any of the other BBC adaptations of MR James would be worth your time, including the spoken word ones narrated by Christopher Lee. The weakest of them is The Tractate Middoth, and it's still good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Does anybody else want to share some B-movies you've seen recently that surprised you with how good they were? This year I finally got around to seeing Waxwork, and I was blown away by the criminally neglected Class of 1999.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anybody else want to share some B-movies you've seen recently that surprised you with how good they were? This year I finally got around to seeing Waxwork, and I was blown away by the criminally neglected Class of 1999.

You seen Horror Express yet?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I love that part in Class of 1999 where you get a terminator vision view from on of the android teachers and the combat options are something like

1. Punches
2. Kicks
3. Karate moves

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Halloween Jack posted:

I rewatched The Fly II earlier this year, and while it’s obviously not anywhere near the classic first film, I found it enjoyable for just how weird it is. It’s almost not even a straight horror movie, but like some kind of horror superhero mash-up, with Eric Stoltz essentially being a version of Peter Parker that also vomits acid.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Halloween Jack posted:

I watched A Return to Salem's Lot last week and thought it was great; I'd completely forgotten that Larry Cohen did a Stephen King "sequel." The story's about a scummy anthropologist who ends up in a town full of vampires. They try both reason and threats to try to get him to write a book about their history, which leads to a lot of comparisons between their lifestyle and the deaths caused by human conflict. Then someone with a direct experience of the horrors of war pops up to blow all that bullshit out of the water. It's got action, carnage, and some serious sleaze, and it's also a lot of fun.

You don't have to know anything about the first one because they're totally unrelated. I watched them back to back and didn't care for the original, possibly thanks to the fact that Shudder only has the draggy, full-length miniseries instead of the shorter, more intense cut that used to be the version you'd always find on home video. The long version has some creepy scenes, but they're watered down by Stephen King's typical soap opera nonsense that doesn't drive the story forward. It also takes something like an hour to get to the vampires.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does every Argento movie have out of sync dialogue? That made it really hard for me to get into anything but the kill scenes in Tenebrae and Suspiria

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

Does every Argento movie have out of sync dialogue? That made it really hard for me to get into anything but the kill scenes in Tenebrae and Suspiria

Imperfect ADR is just par for the course in almost every Italian horror film, if not every non-USA horror flick.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ruinous. Between the music and heavy stylization the kill scenes sucked me right in too

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pomp posted:

Ruinous. Between the music and heavy stylization the kill scenes sucked me right in too

Give it another shot. Think of it as adding to the surreal dream like settings of most of the movies.

If it's not for you, sorry :( I love those Italian movies

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

I've never been bothered by bad ADR, especially for Italian flicks, so I don't really get how that can take you out of a flick, but you could always watch them in the original Italian with subtitles, which I find way more distracting in horror than lip syncing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This count?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I've never been bothered by bad ADR, especially for Italian flicks, so I don't really get how that can take you out of a flick, but you could always watch them in the original Italian with subtitles, which I find way more distracting in horror than lip syncing.

And this doesnt always work anyway since the actors would frequently speak their native languages on set.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

And this doesnt always work anyway since the actors would frequently speak their native languages on set.

True. That's the thing about ADR, they overdub everyone with different VO's, even in the original Italian.

But like I said, I don't get distracted by it. I can't imagine not being able to watch a kung fu flick or something like Demons just because the words don't match the mouth quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I'm really into lost world stuff right now so more B movie stuff like that which is good I am down for.