Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Vegetable posted:

The gently caress does any of this have to do with sexual assault

I’d argue that the concept of normalizing gross and dangerous people is very much on theme for the thread. Part of the “culture of Hollywood” has been the enabling of such people by way of validation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its kind of fitting/funny this intense defense of the moral and cultural worth of Joe "Man Show" Rogan is happening in the "Sexual Assault and the Culture of Hollywood" thread.

I don't really know or care that much about Rogan but I know I already thought he was an rear end in a top hat and idiot before all this alt right stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

and that's why today, in 2018, the KKK has less power than ever and their views are completely wiped out

wait

I think there's an argument to be made that not enough people did what Stern attempted. To dismiss a racist and laugh at them as if they are a complete joke of person, that takes power away from them, at least in some way. To make something the butt of jokes is actually a pretty powerful means of cutting it off at the knees. There were far too many people in this country in the 90's acting like the KKK flat-out didn't exist as a group anymore, and they were allowed to fester and spread into a much larger white nationalist movement.

Again, I feel conflicted on it and I'm not sure I really know what the right answer is.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
loving stunned that the guy who used this thread to whine about how rape jokes aren't okay anymore is totally into a fascist sympathizer.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Not knowing him from anything else, it’s so weird to me how many people care to listen to the dude who used to host Fear Factor. It’s like Tom Bergeron having a podcast.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Not knowing him from anything else, it’s so weird to me how many people care to listen to the dude who used to host Fear Factor. It’s like Tom Bergeron having a podcast.

Now imagine if Tom Bergeron started smoking weed in his thirties and adopted the persona of a freshman philosophy student.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok but what about the literally thousands of hours of science and technology and social reform that he's featured on his show? Does 30 episodes of Jordan Peterson/Candace Owens/Ben Shapiro really take his entire body of work and make it void? (also, everyone thinks he super agrees with all these people but if you watched or listened you'd realize that he definitely cuts them off and questions them when they get into stupid nazi/immigration poo poo and mostly just talks to them about their views on modern PC culture and why they disagree).

Wait, 30 episodes? Did he keep inviting them back? When I just vaguely knew about this I assumed they only had like an episode each or something. In trying to defend Rogan you taught me that he’s way way worse than I thought, haha

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the only good thing Joe Rogan has ever been involved in is Newsradio, which was good at converting assholishness into a career-best performance (see also: Andy Dick)

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Pigbuster posted:

Wait, 30 episodes? Did he keep inviting them back? When I just vaguely knew about this I assumed they only had like an episode each or something. In trying to defend Rogan you taught me that he’s way way worse than I thought, haha

With his rate of output, he's probably had 30 chuds/IDW types on his show just in the past year

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Joe Rogan is successful because he's exactly as smart as the average American.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah that’s not what YouTube and Apple say but whatever. Joe Rogan has more downloads and streams that Marc Maron and Larry King’s combined total estimated viewership (Marc Maron is a fine person and funny but he is really not a big deal at all). I’m sorry you don’t like him, but he is the most far reaching interviewer in the history of Earth, LoL

Larry King's heyday was in the 90s, that's like saying Jordan Peterson is a more influential philosopher than Karl Marx because of YouTube viewership.

As for Marc Maron, when's the last time a sitting US President was on Rogan's show?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Skwirl posted:

Why the gently caress do you keep stanning for Joe Rogan? I know I just trashed one specific question by Larry King, but he was far more influential than Joe Rogan ever will be, loving Marc Maron is more influential than Rogan.

Idiots love Joe Rogan. He is one of their own.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
If you need to understand Joe Rogan, watch his UFC commentary. He's actually extremely knowledgable about BJJ, but whenever he talks about the striking in a fight, he'll get a narrative in his head and just stick with it, no matter how wrong it turns out to be. In a recent women's Strawweight title fight, he kept insisting that Fighter A's legs were about to buckle from all the leg kicks Fighter B was landing, and Fighter A would just take another step forward and punch her in the face again. It was utterly wrong, but he stuck with it because that was the narrative of the fight he picked in the first couple of rounds.

And so he has that skepticism about things, but also a willingness to believe the very next thing he's told about it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Joe Rogan is legitimately an idiot. I got into his stuff because he's had some good celebrity guests on with interesting stuff to say. Every third guest is an Alt-right shithead "comedian," he rarely has female guests on, and the interviews are largely directionless unless the guest eventually imposes structure. Otherwise Joe will start watching YouTube mma, or going on about under-informed pop science on exactly the level of insipid idiocy you'd expect from the average white American male whose only real interests are drug culture and watching mans punching good.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

to use a really good british word.

he's gormless.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Baby, It's Cold Outside thing really bugs me. It's a song about a woman who wants to gently caress, which is p empowering for its time. She never once says she wants to leave and is instead lamenting the way the her family (and society) would view an unwed woman spending the night at a male suitor's house.

It's one of the only Christmas-y songs I love!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

esperterra posted:

The Baby, It's Cold Outside thing really bugs me. It's a song about a woman who wants to gently caress, which is p empowering for its time. She never once says she wants to leave and is instead lamenting the way the her family (and society) would view an unwed woman spending the night at a male suitor's house.

"She technically never says no, it's actually empowering" is an impressively stupid and weirdly common take on this song. It's also pretty loving patronising to women in the 40s

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1074807035034787840

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

"She technically never says no, it's actually empowering" is an impressively stupid and weirdly common take on this song. It's also pretty loving patronising to women in the 40s

Merely an actullay contribution here:

“I simply must go (Baby it's cold outside)
The answer is no (But baby it's cold outside)”

I’ve never heard this song until it came up, so I’m playing catch up. The version I just saw on YouTube featured two kids dubbed over by the music and the man is the one saying “it’s cold outside.”

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Conservatives have been pretending that America is a puritanical shithole for so long that official policy is that we've always been at war with vagina

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Corrosion posted:

Merely an actullay contribution here:

“I simply must go (Baby it's cold outside)
The answer is no (But baby it's cold outside)”

I’ve never heard this song until it came up, so I’m playing catch up. The version I just saw on YouTube featured two kids dubbed over by the music and the man is the one saying “it’s cold outside.”

Oh yeah, she actually does say no at one point. Even if you miss that, though, and just hear her come up with 800 reasons why she needs to leave, none of which he accepts, it's still a creepy loving song.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's been pretty established that "Baby It's Cold Outside" is about a woman who wants to stay but is unsure because of worries that her family and neighbors would think less of her if she did what she wanted. It was a lot more female-sex-positive than basically anything created in the 1940s and modern wokeness shouldn't be used to negate and bury it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

It's been pretty established that "Baby It's Cold Outside" is about a woman who wants to stay but is unsure because of worries that her family and neighbors would think less of her if she did what she wanted. It was a lot more female-sex-positive than basically anything created in the 1940s and modern wokeness shouldn't be used to negate and bury it.

Counterpoint: It's written by a man, it's coerscive as gently caress (she really means yes but won't say it is the rapist's motto) and it is no longer the 1940s.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The roles in the song are literally "Wolf" and "Mouse."

The interpretation that a woman won't have sex with you because she's just prudishly conservative and socially repressed is also not really solid sex-positivity. That's like how straight male hippies interpreted "sexual liberation," i.e., "I'll liberate you from your hang-ups and show you what you really want."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Snowman_McK posted:

Counterpoint: It's written by a man, it's coerscive as gently caress (she really means yes but won't say it is the rapist's motto) and it is no longer the 1940s.

I thought it was written by a husband/wife duo?

Not that the rest isn't still pretty rapey sounding

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

even with the feminist reading some people have posited it's still a very mediocre song so i can't be assed if playing it falls out of fashion for the wrong reason

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

esperterra posted:

Look, that's great for you, but robbed of the historical context where a lot of the things she says were, at the time, excuses women made for staying with a man and being DTF without being considered a harlot, the way it reads today is super gross.

So you, knowing the context, go ahead and enjoy the song. Just don't inflict it on other people or expect everybody to understand that context and leave it off your rotation when other people are over. You get to enjoy it. But you have to enjoy it alone.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A version for the modern mindset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07C96xMYFFw

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

The Karaoke makes me wish they had actually sang it in Japanese.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

Look, that's great for you, but robbed of the historical context where a lot of the things she says were, at the time, excuses women made for staying with a man and being DTF without being considered a harlot, the way it reads today is super gross.

So you, knowing the context, go ahead and enjoy the song. Just don't inflict it on other people or expect everybody to understand that context and leave it off your rotation when other people are over. You get to enjoy it. But you have to enjoy it alone.

Merry Christmas everyone!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
A lot of people point to "Say what's in this drink?" as proof it's a rapey song, but that's become the idiom has gone way out of fashion now. It always just seemed about someone wrestling with whether or not to stay because they're literally worried about what other people would think if she does (Keep in mind it was written at a time when even engaged couples didn't tend to live together).

I get people not being into it though and it's fine. At the end of the day if you have to research societal norms of America in the 1940s to get the context of a song then it's probably a bit too much work. To that end I'm surprised there are not many gender-swapped versions of it (Though funnily enough one of the earliest versions of the song was).

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The version Zooey Deschanel’s band She and Him did a gender swapped version, it’s not bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked Gaga and JGLs version from that Muppet Christmas Special she did

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Len posted:

I liked Gaga and JGLs version from that Muppet Christmas Special she did

That's a charming, cute, sexy rendition they did, and one of the only times I've ever liked the song. The video is on Youtube for anyone who would want to see it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Only the Muppets could make it sexy.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The Glee version was kinda cute if I remember right. The guy singing the female part has a unique enough voice that they pull off an all-male version.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1072669915516157952

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

All Christmas music is bad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's an annual thread in GBS where they try to make deliberately bad Christmas music. It might make it sound better in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's an annual thread in GBS where they try to make deliberately bad Christmas music. It might make it sound better in comparison.

Behold, the answer to our prayers, the best new Christmas song :v:

https://twitter.com/koolaid/status/1074696975310774272