Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A few years back my brother made two huge jars of pickled baby octopus, and I have thought about those pretty much constantly since, so I'm thinking of making them on my own. Unfortunately I also read that octopus heads are so high in selenium that it's easy to get poisoned from eating too many. How much of a risk is there with lil babies in particular? I ate so many of those little fuckers last time, and nothing happened, so idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

This sounds like a nice twist and has some good details, I'll give it a try!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

A few years back my brother made two huge jars of pickled baby octopus, and I have thought about those pretty much constantly since, so I'm thinking of making them on my own. Unfortunately I also read that octopus heads are so high in selenium that it's easy to get poisoned from eating too many. How much of a risk is there with lil babies in particular? I ate so many of those little fuckers last time, and nothing happened, so idk.

It's doubtful that baby octopuses are any higher in selenium than adults - and adult octopus has about 75mcg per 3oz serving. The "you probably don't want to eat more than this" limit is ~400mcg/day for several days in a row. So unless you plan on eating a pound of octopus every day for like a week straight, you'll be fine.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If you do plan to eat a pound of octopus a day for a week and you please post a trip report?

Similar looking, pickled mushrooms are dead easy to make and now my friends won't shut up about them.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody have a good caramel corn recipe? I'm considering making some as a Christmas gift, in lieu of more stuff.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm looking for a little feedback on flavor profiles. I'm making a modern baked mac and cheese that uses sodium citrate (but not too much) and some potato starch, because I love the texture of both combined. Generally I use (and am planning to use) equal parts medium cheddar, gruyere, and a third cheese to add something new to the party. Will I regret using Beemster Royal Grand Cru, which is basically an aged gouda? Should I use some fontina or something else creamy and mild instead? I'm going to add bacon and broccoli, and I'm thinking of also putting in some diced tomatoes.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Anybody have some savory recipes that use sweet potatoes? I have FIFTY FOUR (54. Half a loving bushel) sweet potatoes that need to be used up quickly and I hate sweet things.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Don’t have recipes on me but soups, latkes come immediately to mind. If you can make pasta Casunziei with sweet potatoes instead of beetroot is nice but won’t be super efficient. Fifty-four is a huge amount—a lot of food banks will take fresh produce if the alternative for you is throwing them away I guess, but I’m guessing you know that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Risotto, fries, gratin (careful not to overcook), soup with greens and beans, coconut curry, https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roasted-sweet-potatoes-with-chile-yogurt-and-mint

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fizzymercy posted:

Anybody have some savory recipes that use sweet potatoes? I have FIFTY FOUR (54. Half a loving bushel) sweet potatoes that need to be used up quickly and I hate sweet things.

Vodka

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

fizzymercy posted:

Not a recipe per se, but I've been peeling sweet potatoes and tossing them into a vacuum bag with a pat of butter, salt, and pepper, sealing them and freezing them as single-serving sous vide sides, and I've been quite happy with that. Sometimes it's eaten with a fork as is and sometimes it's mashed with cinnamon and the reserved liquid from the bag. Far more savory than sweet either way, IMO.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

poeticoddity posted:

Not a recipe per se, but I've been peeling sweet potatoes and tossing them into a vacuum bag with a pat of butter, salt, and pepper, sealing them and freezing them as single-serving sous vide sides, and I've been quite happy with that. Sometimes it's eaten with a fork as is and sometimes it's mashed with cinnamon and the reserved liquid from the bag. Far more savory than sweet either way, IMO.

A quick pressure cook with them sitting on a steamer basket above the liquid layer will allow you to cook them tender quickly and they are incredibly easy to peel afterwards.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

fizzymercy posted:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gogumabap

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Chipotle sweet potato gratin
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/smoked-chile-scalloped-sweet-potatoes-recipe-1945789

Sweet potato and corned beef hash
https://www.cuisineathome.com/recipes/breakfast-brunch/corned-beef-hash-with-eggs-and-spicy-ketchup/

I've made both of these and they definitely rule.

You could also make a big batch of enchilada filling and freeze it. Boil them up and mash with chipotle puree and cream/honey/cheese/whatever.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Green curry is good with sweet potato.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sweet potato is good as nimono or tempura. Also makes pretty tasty jeon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There are whole restaurants dedicated solely to eating piles of baby octopus in Korea and I've never heard of anyone getting sick. I have gone to town on those in Korea many times without ill effect. I hope you enjoyed my very scientific data.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
3 oz of octopus has approximately 75ug of selenium.
Daily intake should be about 50-60ug of selenium per day, with recommended intake limits being about 400 ug/day.

So...keep your octopus consumption under a pound per day, I guess.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Feenix posted:

Also you should just make your own pesto because it’s easy and loving delicious. :)

Super easy, but the ingredients are super expensive. Here in Key West, at least, a bag of pine nuts is more expensive than a jar of good pesto. I've subbed almonds for pine nuts in the past, but now even almonds are expensive.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
A quick tip for folks making Christmas sweets: use almond extract in place of vanilla extract. It's awesome.

Almond whipped cream (1 cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp almond extract) tastes amazing, much better than the same made with vanilla extract.
Pecan pie with almond extract in place of vanilla has a richer flavor.
Although I always use vanilla beans in creme anglaise, a dash of almond extract gives it more flavor.

I've used lemon and orange extract as well, but those turn out good or bad depending on the recipe. Almond extract works every time. I've yet to find a recipe where swapping almond for vanilla didn't improve the flavor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bagheera posted:

Super easy, but the ingredients are super expensive. Here in Key West, at least, a bag of pine nuts is more expensive than a jar of good pesto. I've subbed almonds for pine nuts in the past, but now even almonds are expensive.

I've made my pesto with pecan, walnut, cashew, etc just whatever was cheap or I had a shitload of on the shelf and it came out pretty great. Just mentioning in case you wanted to try a non standard recipe.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bagheera posted:

I've used lemon and orange extract as well, but those turn out good or bad depending on the recipe. Almond extract works every time. I've yet to find a recipe where swapping almond for vanilla didn't improve the flavor.

You need better vanilla.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

taste is subjective and I applaud their tinkering with recipes

it probably should've been phrased more as "... improved the flavor to my tastes" but :shobon:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bagheera posted:

A quick tip for folks making Christmas sweets: use almond extract in place of vanilla extract. It's awesome.

Almond whipped cream (1 cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp almond extract) tastes amazing, much better than the same made with vanilla extract.
Pecan pie with almond extract in place of vanilla has a richer flavor.
Although I always use vanilla beans in creme anglaise, a dash of almond extract gives it more flavor.

I do love almond extract and a splash in addition to vanilla is usually great in baked stuff(especially in a pound cake) but I find almond to be much more powerful and I think a 1:1 substitution would be very very almondy to my tastes. I haven’t ever tried adding some to whipped cream and I could definitely see it being great in custardy things-I’ll try it out in those, thanks!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I've taken to adding like, a drop or two of almond extract in addition to whatever vanilla is called for. This works great for general sweets/baked goods, but I omit it for anything that I am trying to make specifically vanilla flavored.

Almond extract is STRONG though, so even if you are subbing, please god sub at like 25%.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Could you do this recipe without draining the pineapple, and also adding more salt so it's like a brine?

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pineapple-pork-chops/

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I suspect if you have a load of pineapple juice in there, the pork will just become mush...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The tenderizing enzyme, bromelain, is deactivated with heat. The canning process itself used to be hot enough to deactivate it, but I'm not sure it still is. Either way, you can heat the juice yourself and then it shouldn't turn meat into mush.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

You need better vanilla.

I stick with Penzeys extracts, which taste pretty drat good. Maybe I'm just hooked on almonds, but I haven't found a 1 to 1 substitute to be overpowering.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Bagheera posted:

I stick with Penzeys extracts, which taste pretty drat good. Maybe I'm just hooked on almonds, but I haven't found a 1 to 1 substitute to be overpowering.

I've dabbled in almond extract and it's just too almond-y for me at the same volume as vanilla. It's very good, but as others have said, if you decide to try it, try it at reduced amounts first and grow into it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bagheera posted:

The pro move is to make your own and use something that isn't straight grain alcohol. I like tossing beans into a bottle of bourbon or rye.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Casu Marzu posted:

The pro move is to make your own and use something that isn't straight grain alcohol. I like tossing beans into a bottle of bourbon or rye.

I’ve done this with everclear, vodka, and bourbon. The bourbon was really neat, but for a standard vanilla flavor, I’ve not been able to beat my usual store bought brand. Adams Best is so drat good.

I’ve tried the fancy Nielsen and Massey, but was super unimpressed. It tastes really plasticy.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Question: if I want to confit some goose legs, and I don’t get enough rendered goose fat out of the goose, can I use a mix of goose and duck fat? I’m a little worried that with only one bird I won’t get enough fat to completely submerge the two legs.

TIA.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Of course you can.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I tend to add duck fat to my confited goose because it makes it taste a bit better. Kinda knocks down the gameyness a bit and rounds it out.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Could I get some tips and tricks or a walkthrough, even, for a beginner for making Tamales?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Could I get some tips and tricks or a walkthrough, even, for a beginner for making Tamales?

ChefSteps just put out a pretty slick tamales video on their YouTube channel.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Casu Marzu posted:

I like using an unspiced rum. We do bourbon and vodka too, as gifts sometimes. Haven't tried rye yet... I'm gonna go buy some vanilla beans!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Bananana posted:

Random tips learned recently:

• Smear that masa thin and wide. The recipe we were using gave an estimate for how much to spread it, but we tinkered and about 4" wide & 6" tall for 2-3 Tbsp filling ended up the best
  • 9 cups prepped masa worked well for 4 cups meat. Didn't measure the filling after making the pipian, but if I had to estimate I'd say 6-7 cups total filling.
  • Don't stress about them rolling/folding up neatly. They'll all taste just as good, even the ones which leak, and stacking them in the steamer means their neighbors will keep them closed
  • Check the steaming water ever 20 minutes or so. Ours ran out, but it wasn't that big of a deal. The chef we learned from previously had said to put a coin in the bottom, which should rattle from the steam, but we weren't paying enough attention to notice it stop rattling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

fizzymercy posted:

I assume you haven't gotten rid of these in two days. I am a huge fan of baked sweet potatoes topped with cottage cheese and spring onion. Super simple but super delicious! Also sweet potato fries over normal potato fries every day. Toss them with sea salt and rosemary.

Chunks of sweet potato are great in veggie chilli. Put them with tahini and yoghurt. Make mash and have them with red onion gravy and spicy bangers. Bake, cut into chunks, salt and paprika then have that with some chorizo and padron peppers for tapas tea.