Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the McMahons FINALLY being back in charge?
This poll is closed.
Oh thank God, FINALLY! It's been so long! 5 5.00%
Who? It's been so long I forgot who they are! 1 1.00%
Is Jack Tunney okay? 44 44.00%
.... THE BIG DOG! 50 50.00%
Total: 100 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The_Rob posted:

I was thinking about when Kenny Omega finally won the title from Okada and how after it truly felt like something big had happened. Like it really felt like a changing of the guard. When is the last time you saw a title change in wwe and it felt like any kind of deal at all.

Miz vs Ziggler, Title vs Career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vaguido posted:

No it's not. You just find the things people didn't like about the product and don't book those things.

The show opened with a 30 minute promo.

One of the things people don't like about the product is Baron Corbin, and that 30 minute promo was largely spent mocking him. It is comically easy to draw a line between common fan complaints and nearly every single segment they ran last night. It's also easy to see how and why their attempts to address those complaints landed wide of the mark. It is absurd to expect them to change absolutely everything about how they book the show literally overnight, especially considering it was the doubleheader holiday show AND the post-TLC show. I can't even begin to comprehend the failed logic in that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Kimoa Kid posted:

If you are expected the show to reinvent itself overnight you are a crazy person. The only truly meaningful change they can make is taking power away from Vince, and every single change they made last night - no matter how small - was in its own way a repudiation of his decisions. They masked it in kayfabe and blamed Corbin but it was obvious what it was. Vince needs to delegate responsibility to his producers and writers and stop acting as the last word on everything. Not sure if you noticed but "I can't do this all myself" was a sentence he literally spoke last night. But again, expecting Raw to wash away all its mistakes overnight is stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid as hell.

E: Also, of course the sensible assumption to make is that Vince is just going to blame his underlings and nothing substantive will change in their operational structure long-term, but it is worth noting that Vince looked a broken man.

So....

The show still sucks and nothing has meaningfully changed.

That would be why people were saying "WELL ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT ALL!!"

The_Rob posted:

I was thinking about when Kenny Omega finally won the title from Okada and how after it truly felt like something big had happened. Like it really felt like a changing of the guard. When is the last time you saw a title change in wwe and it felt like any kind of deal at all.

Cena vs AJ, RR 2017.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

So....

The show still sucks and nothing has meaningfully changed.

That would be why people were saying "WELL ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT ALL!!"

This isn't a debate dude, numerous things objectively changed, knock it off with the lovely trolling.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

TV Zombie posted:

Miz vs Ziggler, Title vs Career?

Lol no way.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

This isn't a debate dude, numerous things objectively changed, knock it off with the lovely trolling.

What objectively changed?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2/3 of Kenny's title matches since he won have been with Cody, so I feel like the gap there is not quite as large as you might think.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The_Rob posted:

Baron Corbin is getting less screen time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

The very first thing they did was to get rid of and mock the universally loathed on-screen heel GM, it wasn't even subtle. They bashed you over the head with it.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

DarkstarIV posted:

The best part was she threw some fakeout punches and kicks at the Miz and he immediately cowered in the corner.

Not joking when I say I’d love to see that on tonight’s Smackdown.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The very first thing they did was to get rid of and mock the universally loathed on-screen heel GM, it wasn't even subtle. They bashed you over the head with it.

Ignore that it was the other 4 on screen heel gms doing that and thats great! Hooray wrestling is saved good jorb all.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

The Kimoa Kid posted:

they literally did that 24 hours before that too

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The_Rob posted:

roman beating brock because for a brief moment it appeared our long lesnar nightmare was finally over

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

One of the things people don't like about the product is Baron Corbin, and that 30 minute promo was largely spent mocking him. It is comically easy to draw a line between common fan complaints and nearly every single segment they ran last night. It's also easy to see how and why their attempts to address those complaints landed wide of the mark. It is absurd to expect them to change absolutely everything about how they book the show literally overnight, especially considering it was the doubleheader holiday show AND the post-TLC show. I can't even begin to comprehend the failed logic in that.

Okay, I guess having a 30 minute promo where the management that ruined the show fellate themselves by attacking a proxy is fine. We'll ignore that people don't hate Corbin but hate what he represents. Let's continue.

After that 30 minute promo, they booked a match that was nearly identical to a match that occurred the night before. They even had Heath reprise his role as guest ref. PPV rematches the next night are another common complaint.

Assuming Rovert is telling the truth about his scoops, the call up choices were made on Wednesday. They had several days to book things people would want to see, and not book things people didn't want to see. They still booked the same boring poo poo people complain about all the time, but promised they would try really hard to not be garbage in the future.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Ignore that it was the other 4 on screen heel gms doing that and thats great! Hooray wrestling is saved good jorb all.

1. They all acted like faces 2. I was asked for one example and I didn't say it saved the show

Stop doing poo poo like this, it's childish.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

VJeff posted:

Cena vs AJ, RR 2017.

Wasn't that the one where Cena got his win back? The bigger change would be Summerslam 2016, when AJ won clean after having already beaten Cena once with interference, to establish him as one of the top guys in the company.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Kimoa Kid posted:

They showed their commitment to change with a 30 minute long talking segment involving the McMahons and Corbin and literally repeating what they'd done the previous night at the PPV. And Corbin's not even going to be off TV for a week. So. What the gently caress are you talking about?

Aphrodite posted:

2/3 of Kenny's title matches since he won have been with Cody, so I feel like the gap there is not quite as large as you might think.

The triple threat was great, I will loving die on this hill.

Incessant Excess posted:

Wasn't that the one where Cena got his win back? The bigger change would be Summerslam 2016, when AJ won clean after having already beaten Cena once with interference, to establish him as one of the top guys in the company.

Yeah but that wasn't a title change. And Cena winning the match felt like a big deal because it was a great match, Cena got his 16th title win, the crowd was behind him (no mean feat, it was a smarky Rumble crowd and he was against AJ loving Styles). Everything since then has been dire, but that was a cool moment.

Cena is good, is what I'm saying here.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i said it in the raw thread but i need the terrible booking to be fixed, not for the avatar of the terrible booking to get a beatdown

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vaguido posted:

Okay, I guess having a 30 minute promo where the management that ruined the show fellate themselves by attacking a proxy is fine.

When Michael Scott failed to pay those kids' tuition in Scott's Tots, did you expect Greg Daniels to appear on screen and make things right?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Kimoa Kid posted:

1. They all acted like faces 2. I was asked for one example and I didn't say it saved the show

Stop doing poo poo like this, it's childish.

It's the same poo poo they have been doing for years

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bootlicking time again I see

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

The_Rob posted:

Asuka winning at TLC

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Sami Zayn is coming back though thats cool and will not be ruined now that vince and steph made fun of baron corbin

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Kimoa Kid posted:

When Michael Scott failed to pay those kids' tuition in Scott's Tots, did you expect Greg Daniels to appear on screen and make things right?

I expected John Cena to appear on screen and make things right. Still do every time I watch the episode.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

They showed their commitment to change with a 30 minute long talking segment involving the McMahons and Corbin and literally repeating what they'd done the previous night at the PPV. And Corbin's not even going to be off TV for a week. So. What the gently caress are you talking about?

I'm explaining a thing that changed in response to being asked what changed, I thought that was clear

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Kimoa Kid posted:

He did. He paid them all scale.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

bradzilla posted:

Bootlicking time again I see

It's not bootlicking it's just being an annoying shitposter and I apologize for responding to it. I hope my fellow posters can forgive me.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

That literally does nothing. They set up and get rid of heel GM's all the time. Eric Bicschoff was literally thrown into trash. The show has still been lovely for over a decade.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The_Rob posted:

Hell in a Cell 2018

fatherofmustard posted:

Asuka winning at TLC

Also a good answer!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

That literally does nothing. They set up and get rid of heel GM's all the time. Eric Bicschoff was literally thrown into trash. The show has still been lovely for ever a decade.

You asked what changed and I answered. Stop shifting the goalposts. It's very very easy for you to say "OK, I was wrong." Try it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

Sami Zayn is coming back though thats cool and will not be ruined now that vince and steph made fun of baron corbin

:lol: @ me for thinking they might let him come back as a face.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I'm explaining a thing that changed in response to being asked what changed, I thought that was clear

So they changed by doing the exact same poo poo they always do, and then spending the rest of the episode doing the exact same poo poo they always do, right down to Steph badgering all the female talent like they're a bunch of loving schoolchildren.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Bray winning at Elimination Chamber '17.

I'm dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They got rid of the bad GM who kayfabe booked all the stuff people didn't like and replaced him with the people who actually booked all the stuff people didn't like.

How is this not getting through to you people?!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

You asked what changed and I answered. Stop shifting the goalposts. It's very very easy for you to say "OK, I was wrong." Try it.

That's a change in the literal script. We're talking about what in the scope of the actual show has changed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

:lol: @ me for thinking they might let him come back as a face.

So they changed by doing the exact same poo poo they always do, and then spending the rest of the episode doing the exact same poo poo they always do, right down to Steph badgering all the female talent like they're a bunch of loving schoolchildren.

Irrelevant to the question

The_Rob posted:

That's a change in the literal script. We're talking about what in the scope of the actual show has changed.

You might be now, because I answered your question and you've chosen to shift the goalposts. And regardless, having heel GMs is a pretty major part of the recent shows, and a big reason why they sucked rear end to watch.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

There are moments that change the business forever. Wrestlemania taking WWE national and making household names of Vince's stars. Nitro launching directly into Raw's face and initiating a battle that would pull the business into its golden era. Baron Corbin being mildly taunted by the actual versions of his character.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

The_Rob posted:

Before Asuka at TLC? Maybe Finn/Seth at Summerslam '16, because it finally felt like something new was happening, even though the match itself wasn't incredible. Then maybe AJ/Cena at RR '17.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Owens beating Cena in his debut match on the main roster was the other one that made me go "you don't see that everyday".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

There are moments that change the business forever. Wrestlemania taking WWE national and making household names of Vince's stars. Nitro launching directly into Raw's face and initiating a battle that would pull the business into its golden era. Baron Corbin being mildly taunted by the actual versions of his character.

Tamina and Nia in the royal rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

See, why do you do this? Why can't we have a normal conversation? You guys asked for one example of a thing that changed and I mentioned the very first change that happened on the show. It wasn't an exhaustive list and it wasn't a suggestion that it's changed the company or the business forever. Why write this shitheel response when you could just say "OK" or nothing at all?