Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

I've never been bothered by bad ADR, especially for Italian flicks, so I don't really get how that can take you out of a flick, but you could always watch them in the original Italian with subtitles, which I find way more distracting in horror than lip syncing.

I did watch Suspiria in Italian fwiw. I prefer original language to dubs, which I find more distracting than subtitles

Pomp fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

I'm really into lost world stuff right now so more B movie stuff like that which is good I am down for.

You ever see Angry Red Planet?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Good, but not a ghost.

Almost. This is very familiar, so I’m guessing I’ll be lmaoed at, but what is it from?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Almost. This is very familiar, so I’m guessing I’ll be lmaoed at, but what is it from?

That's Tina.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'm glad ghosts aren't real because I'm already a rear end in a top hat and I'd probably be a real rear end in a top hat of a ghost.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

oh, duh.

:shepicide:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

andelazo posted:

Anyone with short film recommendations? Rewatched The Pledge and am gonna spend some time on shorter stuff tomorrow. Whistle and I’ll Come to You in top spot atm.

Is this screen from The Pledge or Whistle and I'll Come to You? Probably doesn't matter as I'll check out both. I noticed the latter is on Amazon Prime with John Hurt, from 2010, is that the right one?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

I'm glad ghosts aren't real because I'm already a rear end in a top hat and I'd probably be a real rear end in a top hat of a ghost.

Alternatively I feel like I will only realize my true rear end in a top hat potential once I gain the ability to poo poo ectoplasm into shoes

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I'm really into lost world stuff right now so more B movie stuff like that which is good I am down for.

The Day Time Ended is a favorite of mine just for how hilariously dumb it is. They really pull out all the stops.

Planet of the Dinosaurs is another good one.

They’re both bad movies but they’re fun bad movies

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is this screen from The Pledge or Whistle and I'll Come to You? Probably doesn't matter as I'll check out both. I noticed the latter is on Amazon Prime with John Hurt, from 2010, is that the right one?

No, that’s the remake. I remember thinking it was ok, but it’s not the classic. You want the 1968 black and white version, the remake doesn’t even have a freaking whistle in it for gods sake.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Most of those old bbc specials are on YouTube in decent quality

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drunkboxer posted:

Good, but not a ghost.

If you were a true horror fan you'd know that the ghost is possessing the person who's under the sheet, so technically the ghost is doing the killing (and wearing the sheet).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

If you were a true horror fan you'd know that the ghost is possessing the person who's under the sheet, so technically the ghost is doing the killing (and wearing the sheet).

Pazuzu ain't no ghost. It would probably drain your entire blood supply into little jars just for making the comparison.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It's not Pazuzu, it's the Gemini Killer :colbert:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I have a graphic here to help illustrate what I mean by sheet ghost:

👻

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

It's not Pazuzu, it's the Gemini Killer :colbert:

Oh yea, I forgot Pazuzu is just the one who sends him back to gently caress with Karras. Forgot that detail.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Drunkboxer posted:

Is Whistle and I’ll Come to you the best sheet-ghost in horror?

Tell me of other terrifying sheet-ghosts, if they exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAXTvahw2F4

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I have a graphic here to help illustrate what I mean by sheet ghost:

👻

Stop, I am easily spook-a-doodled.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

:ghost: Pretty decent sheet ghost.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I just thought of something: Are there any super gory ghost movies?

The only one I can think of is Ghost Ship and Event Horizon if it counts.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

Autopsy of Jane Doe

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Autopsy of Jane Doe

I guess it’s really just a haunted house movie when you get down to it but strictly speaking it’s more of a witch movie.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

We Are Still Here if I remember correctly is gory as hell

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tolkien minority posted:

The Day Time Ended is a favorite of mine just for how hilariously dumb it is. They really pull out all the stops.

This movie is amazingly dumb and hilarious and I love it, but it's also a real deal must watch for the aliens' technology. Not that anything about them is good, but in a pre-internet world it's actually a very very accurate depiction of how people would describe UFO sightings from the 60s through the early 90s. The lost time, stuff like the small probe thing floating around, or seeing three lights in the sky that would unite into one large ball of light and then fly off, the little triangular objects they leave behind, etc. Also for how it's obliquely and ancient aliens movie, with the way time ending and the alien city is paralleled to the biblical end times happening with massive (clumsy, stop motion) battling beasts showing up and the family being whisked to a paradise-esque futuristic city at the end. Like, it's a movie with so little, and yet, so much, and it's so bad and stupid at the same time. I love it. :3:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Drunkboxer posted:

:ghost: Pretty decent sheet ghost.

not quite terrifying but very solidly spooky.

How he did it was pretty neat also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX-tx7N4qiI

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Sorry, full of dumb questions today: What zombie movie was the first to codify the 'any wound turns you into a zombie' trope?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Sorry, full of dumb questions today: What zombie movie was the first to codify the 'any wound turns you into a zombie' trope?

Maybe Dawn of the Dead? I honestly can't remember if it comes up in NotLD or not, but I don't think so.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe Dawn of the Dead? I honestly can't remember if it comes up in NotLD or not, but I don't think so.

The daughter dies and comes back in NOTLD from a bite right?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Drunkboxer posted:

No, that’s the remake. I remember thinking it was ok, but it’s not the classic. You want the 1968 black and white version, the remake doesn’t even have a freaking whistle in it for gods sake.

Tolkien minority posted:

Most of those old bbc specials are on YouTube in decent quality

Awesome, I'll check it out then. I think this is how I also saw the original version of The Woman in Black.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Drunkboxer posted:

The daughter dies and comes back in NOTLD from a bite right?

Yup, in both versions too.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Was it a bite? I thought NOTLD was everyone who dies comes back. It seems like the bite thing comes from virus movies.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's a bite but it's also everyone who dies. It's never really clear if the zombie condition was passed through the bite like a werewolf curse or if she just died from an infected wound.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

NOTLD gets a little loosey goosey with the rules, maybe by design. Like the daughter dies and comes back, but so do older corpses from the cemetery.

But the body on the second floor of the farmhouse never budges.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The fun thing about zombie movies--and correct me if I'm wrong--but the general perception of zombies vocally craving brains comes from Return of the Living Dead, and nothing else.

edit: Also, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things has victims become zombies through contact or dying, and that predates Dawn of the Dead by six years.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 18, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

The fun thing about zombie movies--and correct me if I'm wrong--but the general perception of zombies vocally craving brains comes from Return of the Living Dead, and nothing else.

It also trickled down to the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror zombie episode, don't underestimate how iconic some of those earlier episodes where.

I don't remember the girl in NotLD turning because of the bite but I suppose it just was not really emphasized.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
We should compile a list of movies/works that codify different myths of different monsters.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I don’t remember if I asked this in the old thread or not, but I had a conversation with a friend awhile back that’s stuck with me, and I want to open it up to everyone: in Gremlins, is Gizmo technically the father of all of the Gremlins that spawn off of him, and does that make Gremlins a movie about infanticide? And does this mean that his adoption of the Rambo persona in Gremlins 2 is even more on-point when you take into account the massive PTSD likely developed from murdering thousands of his offspring?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

OldTennisCourt posted:

We should compile a list of movies/works that codify different myths of different monsters.

-Vampires dying in sunlight wasn't really a thing until Nosferatu. There are even some folkloric vampires who were supposedly mostly active during the day.
-there's probably some other stuff I'm forgetting

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fart City posted:

I don’t remember if I asked this in the old thread or not, but I had a conversation with a friend awhile back that’s stuck with me, and I want to open it up to everyone: in Gremlins, is Gizmo technically the father of all of the Gremlins that spawn off of him, and does that make Gremlins a movie about infanticide? And does this mean that his adoption of the Rambo persona in Gremlins 2 is even more on-point when you take into account the massive PTSD likely developed from murdering thousands of his offspring?

I'd say they are more like siamese siblings than father/children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
-The horniness of fishmen was originated in Creature from the Black Lagoon (probably, are there earlier examples?). Now, a horny fishman has an Oscar