Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

I don’t remember if I asked this in the old thread or not, but I had a conversation with a friend awhile back that’s stuck with me, and I want to open it up to everyone: in Gremlins, is Gizmo technically the father of all of the Gremlins that spawn off of him, and does that make Gremlins a movie about infanticide? And does this mean that his adoption of the Rambo persona in Gremlins 2 is even more on-point when you take into account the massive PTSD likely developed from murdering thousands of his offspring?

I always took it as a form of cloning and specifically not breeding. Gizmo is a a kind creature capable of love and affection and positivity, and the other mogwai that stem from him are inverse to who he is--like evil twins. So really he's not murdering his offspring, he's murdering the negative traits that have manifested from him, or more like identical siblings.

The PTSD is from having to deal directly with his own evil and having to kill himself multiple times for the benefit of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dracula wasnt the historical Vlad Dracul Tepes III, neither Mina nor Lucy were his reincarnated loves and he was at most an impassively horny real estate speculator.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Has there ever been anything in a comic book or novelization or anything like that to explain why Gizmo seems to be the only "good" mogwai? Even before they become full-on gremlins, the rest of his spawn are always portrayed as malicious. Does it skip a generation or something?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Got this. Pretty stoked despite the paint looking like a load of rear end. The other head is way better. And it’s a pretty simple fix and paint job.

Sick pics coming your way

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

I just thought of something: Are there any super gory ghost movies?

The only one I can think of is Ghost Ship and Event Horizon if it counts.

i feel like 13 Ghosts is a baby step towards this

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Liberal Idiot posted:

Has there ever been anything in a comic book or novelization or anything like that to explain why Gizmo seems to be the only "good" mogwai? Even before they become full-on gremlins, the rest of his spawn are always portrayed as malicious. Does it skip a generation or something?

That always really bugged me tbh.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The female gremlin seemed nice.

I guess

:wink:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

NOTLD gets a little loosey goosey with the rules, maybe by design. Like the daughter dies and comes back, but so do older corpses from the cemetery.

But the body on the second floor of the farmhouse never budges.

In the remake it does.

Drunkboxer posted:

-The horniness of fishmen was originated in Creature from the Black Lagoon (probably, are there earlier examples?). Now, a horny fishman has an Oscar

CelticPredator posted:

Got this. Pretty stoked despite the paint looking like a load of rear end. The other head is way better. And it’s a pretty simple fix and paint job.

Sick pics coming your way

Niiiice, glad to see the double jointed elbows. Is the mask removable?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is this screen from The Pledge or Whistle and I'll Come to You? Probably doesn't matter as I'll check out both. I noticed the latter is on Amazon Prime with John Hurt, from 2010, is that the right one?

That shot is from The Pledge, which I don’t believe is on any streaming service. Rumsey, the director, sent me a copy after I got in touch with him but I’m not sure if the film is accessible online.

As far as Whistle and I’ll Come to You, the Hurt adaption is alright but the original is a classic, track that one down if you can. A Warning to the Curious is also great. The BBC made adaptions of M. R. James’ work back in the 70’s, and their high points are absolutely worth catching. Kneale’s The Stone Tape is another fantastic Brit film from the period if you want to go tangential.

PONEYBOY fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 19, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

I

Niiiice, glad to see the double jointed elbows. Is the mask removable?

Nah, but you can switch the heads. One head has more pronounced eyes, the other one is darker to fit the typical look of him.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Drunkboxer posted:

-The horniness of fishmen was originated in Creature from the Black Lagoon (probably, are there earlier examples?). Now, a horny fishman has an Oscar

Lovecraft wrote an entire novella about the horniess of fishmen resulting in ugly New Englanders in 1936.

As a metaphor for the evils of race mixing of course.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I like the idea that the gremlins are like, the “bad” elements of Gizmo made flesh. That’s fun.

Liberal Idiot posted:

Like how old is Gizmo anyway? Because as a magical creature I always got the impression that he was immortal or something. Did the shopkeeper have a gremlin ourbreak in Chinatown in the 30’s when he was a boy?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is there no way to see the unrated cut of house that jack built? i can only find the rated R version

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

andelazo posted:

That shot is from The Pledge, which I don’t believe is on any streaming service. Rumsey, the director, sent me a copy after I got in touch with him but I’m not sure if the film is accessible online.

As far as Whistle and I’ll Come to You, the Hurt adaption is alright but the original is a classic, track that one down if you can. A Warning to the Curious is also great. The BBC made adaptions of M. R. James’ work back in the 70’s, and their high points are absolutely worth catching. Kneale’s The Stone Tape is another fantastic Brit film from the period if you want to go tangential.

Just finished up Whistle and I'll Come to You (1968) and I enjoyed it, slow, short, entertaining. I'll check out the rest if I can find them on YouTube easily.

CelticPredator posted:

Nah, but you can switch the heads. One head has more pronounced eyes, the other one is darker to fit the typical look of him.

I'm glad because those eyes are lol.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lovecraft wrote an entire novella about the horniess of fishmen resulting in ugly New Englanders in 1936.

I forgot about those horny fishmen.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fart City posted:

NOTLD gets a little loosey goosey with the rules, maybe by design. Like the daughter dies and comes back, but so do older corpses from the cemetery.

But the body on the second floor of the farmhouse never budges.

Wasn't the upstairs body missing a face and a huge chunk of its head?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

deety posted:

Shudder only has the draggy, full-length miniseries instead of the shorter, more intense cut that used to be the version you'd always find on home video.

That just bumped that one up the priorities on my massive watchlist. While the edited from the miniseries versions are okay, with some of them certain touches end up getting lost. Case in point, the IT miniseries' opening credits feature bits like newsclippings of the more unsavory aspects of Derry like the Black Spot fire and the Bradley Gang shootout.

And to add to the films that set monster rules, I'm pretty sure The Howling set up the depiction of the wolf headed style werewolf since Werewolf of London established the more human looking werewolf since folklorewise, werewolves looked more wolfy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

FreudianSlippers posted:

As far as I know, the earliest fiction in this vein (and an influence on Lovecraft's story) was Irvin S. Cobb's "Fishhead." Chaosium collected in their Innsmouth Cycle anthology.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm glad because those eyes are lol.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Firsts:
I'm pretty sure that Varney the Vampire was the first vampire that explicitly had fangs.

Fangs, or just teeth in general, are very seldom mentioned in the old vampire folklore and none of the recorded cases of historical vampires mention the condition of the corpses teeth*. They also seem to prefer sucking blood from the chest or even the soles of the feet to biting the neck and leave pale blue marks similar to bruises instead of the two little holes we now associate with vampire bites.

Using the tongue like a mosquito proboscis was also a thing.

*Peter Plogojowitz the earliest recorded "real" vampire apparently had a raging boner as he lay in his coffing being mutilated but no mention is made of his teeth.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Pomp posted:

I did watch Suspiria in Italian fwiw. I prefer original language to dubs, which I find more distracting than subtitles

This is actually a pretty funny statement, considering

Wikipedia posted:

Dubbing
In the Suspiria: 25th Anniversary documentary, Harper commented on the fact that the actors' dialogue was not properly recorded, but was dubbed through additional dialogue recording—common practice in Italian filmmaking at the time.[6] Part of the reason was, she said, that each actor spoke their native language (for instance, Harper, Valli, and Bennett spoke English; Casini, Bosé, Valli, and Bucci spoke Italian; and several others spoke German), and as each actor generally knew what the other was saying anyway, they each responded with their lines as if they had understood the other.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

imagine being chased by a sexy vampire in a gothic romance only to have him suck the blood out of your foot with his tongue probiscus

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kvlt! posted:

imagine being chased by a sexy vampire in a gothic romance only to have him suck the blood out of your foot with his tongue probiscus

Are you on Amazon Direct Publishing?

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

Well, it’s certainly not my fetish, but I’m sure it’s someone’s.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

drat this thread is getting pretty horny

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Quentin Tarantino's Dracula starring Quentin Tarantino as Dracula

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is actually a pretty funny statement, considering

Yeah I was gonna say I’m pretty sure the original Italian for any of these movies are still dubs, we just can’t tell because we don’t speak Italian lol.

Its also funny Tenebrae was brought up because I know they got the main actor to do his own lines (or at least dub his own voice) because I was immediately able to recognize him in some other film by his voice (I couldn’t stop seeing him as his character from tenebrae)

Edit:
I went to the trivia page on IMDb to try to find out more and didn’t see anything on that, but did find this interesting. I had no idea and I’ve seen the movie like 10+ times

quote:

In an interview that appeared in Cinefantastique, Dario Argento noted that the film was intended as near-science fiction, taking place "about five or more years in the future ... Tenebre (1982) occurs in a world inhabited by fewer people with the result that the remainder are wealthier and less crowded. Something has happened to make it that way but no one remembers, or wants to remember ... It isn't exactly my Blade Runner (1982), of course, but nevertheless a step into the world of tomorrow. If you watch the film with this perspective in mind, it will become very apparent." Argento later insisted that the film was set in an imaginary city, fifteen years in the future, and that the disaster the city's inhabitants were striving to forget was an atomic bomb blast.

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 19, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't think you can find an Italian movie from the era that isn't dubbed. Certainly not an Argento film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Same with a lot of foreign productions.

Up to the 70s more was dubbed over than not

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Some movies are a lot more obvious than others about it, to be sure.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just got around to seeing Mandy and holy poo poo, what a great film. Nicholas Cage still can't act worth poo poo but it doesn't even matter. This has to be on my top 10 films now.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just got around to seeing Mandy and holy poo poo, what a great film. Nicholas Cage still can't act worth poo poo but it doesn't even matter. This has to be on my top 10 films now.

your hot take was buried but caught my eye nonetheless

how dare you

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A lot of the time, Italian et al. movies were shot for English because they were easier to sell, so actors who didn't understand English were instructed to phonetically mouthe the English dialogue so the lips would match when they dubbed in the lines later. Many actors had no idea what they were saying, and if you were to hear the on-set sound of their performances, it would sound like incoherent mumbling.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Narzack posted:

Give Triangle with Melissa George a shot

Another good one. It's funny how hard the blurb tried to describe it as a generic slasher.

I picked Hell is Full at random off of the list of recommendations and it seems entertainingly dumb so far, which is a nice change of pace.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I've watched enough Italian films from the 70s and 80s that I start often recognizing a lot of ADR voice actors. It's crazy, and I wish there was some sort of English language resource on the subject.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Pretty sure the first film Argento made that did not use ADR was Phenomena.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Origami Dali posted:

A lot of the time, Italian et al. movies were shot for English because they were easier to sell, so actors who didn't understand English were instructed to phonetically mouthe the English dialogue so the lips would match when they dubbed in the lines later. Many actors had no idea what they were saying, and if you were to hear the on-set sound of their performances, it would sound like incoherent mumbling.

Yeah like if you watch a lot of these flicks, you'll see have German, Italian, and English actors who don't actually speak each other's languages just speaking their own language on set but trying to speak it more slower, faster, or/and in English phonetically as needed. When you watch like Zombie and some of those flicks it's honestly kind of amazing that good performances can still come through. So for many of these flicks (sorry I didn't realize til typing this that someone else responded with this info already) English is the original language of the movie.

Besides it being easier to sell in English, it also fixed the casting logistics issue where like, even just in Italy itself there's enough dialects that no way in hell you would buy that any two actors they got were from the same neighborhood or relatives or whatever. Geretta Geretta (Demons, Shocking Dark, etc.) talks a bit about this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNO8cFI1pls

It's funny though, obviously there's crap like the infinite bad Sartana and Django knockoff flicks but in general I always found the dubbing in many of the late 70s through the 80s Italian horror flicks to be to be just fine technically compared to what usually comes to mind with that stuff.

Obviously there's the visibly awful dubbing in the many crappy Sartana and Django knockoff flicks (and all those mega-awful barbarian flicks, forget Ator I mean like Gunan and stuff like that), but in the big ones it's never as noticeable to me as in those way crappier movies or when Shaw Bros. stuff gets dubbed into English or whatever.

Now if you want a really interesting language issue, there's Italian horror movies, that were dubbed into English, but not officially released on DVD in English (or in English at all in some cases), but that DO get released on DVD in Germany, often have English subtitles, which in very very rare occasion are accessible in the US. This is a very very small niche of subtitling hilarity, Raiders of Atlantis and The Paganini Horror come to mind. Check out Raiders of Atlantis on Prime and watch it with the subtitles on. When they find that guy that was hanged and one them's arguing about how they can't just leave him like that and they have to take him down/bury him the subtitle is "WE HAVE TO MASTURBATE HIM ONCE!" even though the movie is already dubbed in English.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 19, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Complain about ADR all you want but if they didn't use it we probably wouldn't have John Saxon in so many Italian films.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hey I’m Jan Saxan and apparently I’m from Iddly in this picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Complain about ADR all you want but if they didn't use it we probably wouldn't have John Saxon in so many Italian films.

Plus like, I don't know, I never found the ADR to be particularly bad in the Italian horror movies we tend to talk about in this thread, and it's sometimes quite good. Keep in mind this was the same era giving us Shaw Bros. dubs, Godfrey Ho stuff, lots of super low budget European barbarian flicks, relatively speaking a lot the movies being brought up here are fine.