Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

seriously, FORD'S UNBEATABLE MUSTANG? pure hubris.

they werent ready for Elon all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Entire family violently dismembered following minor fender bender, still love car.
Car totaled after being dinged by shopping cart, still love car.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Poor Tesla, thought of dents and died

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah the record player resurgence is so dumb

i mean they were kinda right?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Karl Sharks posted:

i mean energy density is a thing i'm p sure

it's just energy / volume

I meant that Elon doesn't know what it is

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Powershift posted:

You can actually order that package on the new roadster. They call them "cold gas thrusters" which is just an air compressor and air nozzles. it replaces the back seat with an air tank that can be pressured up to 10,000 psi.

Totally cool and good and safe and definitely going to be a real thing.

quote:

To test the story – the very first myth they tackled – Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, with help from honorary MythBuster Erik Gates, procured a 1966 Chevrolet Impala, and after they were unable to obtain actual JATOs, they substituted three model rockets in succession to produce an equivalent amount of thrust (3000 horsepower for 15 seconds). They also installed a rocket rack and reinforced the car so that the rockets would not tear off the roof, and even made use of a hydraulic system that the previous owner had installed on the car to lower the front of the car and make it more aerodynamic. However, when tested in the Mojave Desert, the car did not go anywhere near the 300 miles per hour (480 km/h) reported in the original story, and failed to become airborne.

The program has revisited the story twice, in 2007's "Supersized Myths" (the rockets exploded on the ramp) and their 10th Anniversary episode "JATO Rocket Car: Mission Accomplished?". The 12 motors were built by John Newman, Rick Maschek, and others with one motor first being static tested, successfully, at the FAR site (Friends of Amateur Rocketry) to avoid another 'Episode 90' incident. On the two cars used, the motors were stacked vertically to keep the cars going straight in the event one or more of the motors did not ignite. The car was weighted towards the front in an attempt to improve its aerodynamic stability but no attempt was made to ensure the center of thrust (CoT) of the rocket pack was being applied through the center of gravity (CoG) of the car. The CoT proved to be far too high above the CoG causing the car to immediately nosedive as it left the ramp and smash into the ground. The still firing motors propelled the car up into the air a second time where it did a rotation until smashing into the ground.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shageletic posted:

lol combining the usability of a Concorde and the reliability of an Osprey or Harrier

Tesla F-35

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tesla raised $837 million on car lease back bonds

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-prepares-837-million-sale-of-car-lease-debt-11544803614

quote:

Updated Dec. 14, 2018 5:32 p.m. ET
Tesla Inc. TSLA -4.73% sold $837 million of bonds backed by auto leases Friday, taking advantage of a rebound in investors’ sentiment toward the company to provide further support to its fast-growing leasing operation.

Tesla’s decision to sell the auto-lease bonds comes amid a spate of volatility in debt markets and during a year-end period when many investors lose interest in buying new securities.

Yet investors said times are relatively good for the electric-car maker, which recently posted a record quarterly profit despite a year marked by production delays and high-profile missteps by chief executive Elon Musk.

The bonds, to a large extent, are more a bet on Tesla’s well-heeled customers than the company itself. The bonds are backed by car-lease payments from customers with very high credit ratings along with expected proceeds from the sale of those cars when the leases expire. As is generally the case with auto-lease bonds, they’re being issued by a special entity aimed at protecting investors in the event of a bankruptcy by the manufacturer.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So this is another way that Tesla is selling out their own future right? Does that mean they're selling away the right to ever get fully paid for the cars they've already sold, in return for only some fraction of the profit?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

is it time to remerge this thread with doomsday economics already

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

this is horrifying from a corporate governance perspective, the kind of thing that happens at shitbird family-owned companies where everybody hates each other

if and when the muskpire collapses there will be giant waves of litigation (and lots of lols because by now people should know better)

Dumb Lowtax posted:

So this is another way that Tesla is selling out their own future right? Does that mean they're selling away the right to ever get fully paid for the cars they've already sold, in return for only some fraction of the profit?

Not really, this is an ordinary course of business transaction. It doesn't make much sense for any auto company, let alone one that is ostensibly in a growth phase, to self-finance all its leases because it's a gigantic money sink and investors are usually more than happy to pick up auto ABS deals so you can deploy the capital elsewhere.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hey guys i havent followed this thread for a few months did musk do anything funny since late september

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ok funnelling money from spacex to the tunnel company is pretty funny

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GoluboiOgon posted:

"Episode 90 Incident"

Was episode 90 the cannonball

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

quote:

The MythBusters started with small-scale tests, and determined their old JATO configuration was not suitable for the myth, because the top-mounted rockets caused the car to veer off course. Instead, they opted to mount the rocket tubes inside the trunk of the car to achieve a more stable trajectory. They then obtained a Chevy Impala (named "Holly" by its previous owner) and made the necessary modifications to accommodate the rockets. To ensure the car would get into the air, the MythBusters set up a ramp built from two shipping containers. However, when they started the actual test, the car and the rockets exploded, completely destroying the car before it could even leave the ramp. Because none of the central questions of the myth was answered despite the care and expertise that had gone into the test, the MythBusters had trouble deciding what to call the myth. In the end, they agreed that the myth was "Appropriately Supersized".

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Wait, flying cars? Cars with rocket boosters? Rocket company money going into the tunnelling company?

Hurry up and deliver on all these things Elon, I want my failure Voltron

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Car Citizen.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

bawfuls posted:

comic is funny, but here's what a real life external combustion engine car looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUg_ukBwsyo

Why would you link that when the far superior Stanley Steamer video is available? Just listen to that thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Me8b0ed59s

Plus, if you watch the whole video, you get to watch Jay Leno have fireballs explode on him multiple times.

MisterOblivious has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Dec 18, 2018

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

quote:

I find the F-35 to be a great jet. It's super high tech. It's like flying a Tesla.

https://www.reddit.com/r/F35Lightning/comments/a6zjdz/60_questions_and_answers_with_an_f35c_naval/

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

My Teslaplane rear-ended a firetruck. Love the plane!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
flying cars are going to be loving amazing, and i'm going to be incredibly smug when even less people will be allowed to fly them than real planes.

also thanks for pasting that steam car whoever it was, i want one now.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Question: What's your biggest pet peeve about the F-35?
Answer: Biggest pet peeve is that the jet is still immature. You sometimes have to troubleshoot by shutting the jet down and turning it back on. Once its mature, that won’t be a problem! It really is a great jet and that doesn’t happen often.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
help an ota update bricked my f-35 and now the windows dont go up all the way

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Truga posted:

flying cars are going to be loving amazing, and i'm going to be incredibly smug when even less people will be allowed to fly them than real planes.

also thanks for pasting that steam car whoever it was, i want one now.

if flying cars do happen they will almost certainly be automatically piloted

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

This is probably relevant here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zewyvQEqsS4

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

if flying cars do happen they will almost certainly be automatically piloted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAg-WauGrLU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lmao the engines spooling up after ingesting at least 50 yards worth of tree tops

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Haha did it think it was already on the ground or something?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheDon01 posted:

Haha did it think it was already on the ground or something?

Theres a lot of arguing on the exact cause of this crash. If it was automation related it was because the plane was at a very high angle of attack and the stall prevention would not let them pitch up any more. This is what the pilots claim happened.

The official report blames the pilots for not applying power iirc

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i mean with the delay in engine power they pretty clearly didn't apply full throttle until hitting the trees

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres a lot of arguing on the exact cause of this crash. If it was automation related it was because the plane was at a very high angle of attack and the stall prevention would not let them pitch up any more. This is what the pilots claim happened.

What a dumb argument. If the plane was already at critical AOA, pulling up would only make it fall faster.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
ooo nooooo ooo noooooo ooonooooo

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Of tangential relevance to thread (but still hilarious):

https://vimeo.com/221178360

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BMan posted:

What a dumb argument. If the plane was already at critical AOA, pulling up would only make it fall faster.

I should say the pilots claimed it incorrectly determined it was at critical AOA and didn't let them pull up.

Which basically means that they didn't understand the aircraft they designed an air show routine for. :wtc:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BMan posted:

How can he be this stupid. What the hell is "energy density"

I've said this before, but the man has the scientific knowledge/literacy of a teenager who has read some popular science articles. If something vaguely seems like it might be possible and cool to his layperson mind, he says he's going to do it.

The only differences between him and the sort of person in question is that he seems to believe himself to be an expert and he has a lot of money/fame.

To use the weird assembly line air resistance stuff as an example, in Musk's mind it's easy for him to imagine a bunch of robots doing all the building of cars. After all, robots can do all the same physical work as humans (in Musk's mind), and since you can precisely control them you can increase their speed as much as you want! As a result, the only limitation is going to be air resistance.

He is a genuinely stupid man.

Bushiz posted:

It's even stupider than you think because the few times he's tried to explain his electric jet he went with "We'll get it really high up in the air. because air is really thin up high, so there will be less drag on the plane" because he's weirdly obsessed with the idea of air friction(what's lift, precious?). He also said that by starting the plane super high up they would have a longer glide distance. He's dumb as gently caress.

Yeah, basically he'll have the sort of idea that might occur to a random layperson, but then he'll convince himself that since he's a genius, the idea itself must be valid and smart.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
speaking of flying cars

im thinking elon saw elysium and took all the wrong lessons from it

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Musk once did an interview where he talked about how the universe could be a simulation and all that, and I noticed all the terminology and concepts were word-for-word taken from a science fiction book I had read a few months beforehand. He's such a goddamn fraud

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Spatial posted:

Musk once did an interview where he talked about how the universe could be a simulation and all that, and I noticed all the terminology and concepts were word-for-word taken from a science fiction book I had read a few months beforehand. He's such a goddamn fraud

Simulation theory is solipsism through a back door. The AI apocalypse is rapture through a back door. Roko's Basilisk is Pascal's Wager through a back door. It's all the same escapist poo poo and none of these fuckers have come up with any of it, and in all cases it collapses once you know even the first thing about how the magic box works.

Can't wait for Musk to start babbling about ternary as a solution to the limitations of binary. Or endorse Urbit.

Kraanerg
Aug 17, 2013
Elon Musk is one of those people who tries to pass off ideas he’s read* in a Robert Heinlein book as his own and the tech press just gobbles it up. There were a series of highly upvoted reddit post a few years ago about one of his latest brilliant ideas and it was literally just something from a William Gibson novel. Next he’s going to have a revolutionary new idea about an extract—a “spice” if you will—that will aid in humans’ navigation through space or perhaps some sort of drive that can “warp” spacetime and make the trip to Mars instantaneous!

*and by “read” I mean heard from someone else who’s actually read the book or just gleaned through cultural osmosis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I want him to read the Hyperion Cantos and get the function of those AI in his head.