Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

cathe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Oh, hi kitty!"

"murnt"

:stonk:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FRienDs?

Oh, has anyone successfully used the "cross breed" function? It keeps throwing up errors for me, am I using the wrong URL? I'm using the image address.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 19, 2018

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

new 'Post-War Pups' t-shirts and boxer shorts now in stock!

oops

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"Welcome to sky fortress Albatross, ruler of the sea!"

I'm Captain Grizzard, lord of the Skybears, the toughest pirates to ever sail above the seas. Come, join the feast before we talk business!"

"Delicious, isn't it? We raided a livestock barge the other week. You should've seen it, Skybears dropping onto the boat and hacking up the crew. They were hauling all manner of beasts; pigoodles, starmadillos, cowats! Meat for months!

"Now, on to business. We need a spy, someone who isn't a known ally of the Sky Bears. Someone who can learn the shipping plans so we can save our raids for the best cargo."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

During the first few years, the changes were minute, almost unnoticeable. An ear tapered and tufted like a cat's, a passing squirrel with the wizened eyes of a man. As time went on, the warping began to really take hold. The line between human and animal, already so fine and blurred, was being scuffed beyond recognition. Human generations, being long, meant only the most minor of deformities beset our population.

It was the animals, those short-lived and fast-propagating creatures of the earth and and sky and sea, whose twisted hominid features began to intrude on our understanding of what was human. I recall well the day a gnarled housecat, its face that of a beatific child and paws like sickly toes, tried to push its way into my partially-opened front door, mewing pleas in the pitched tones of a kindergartener. God help me, I slammed that door over and over until it closed, my eyes shut tight, my heart racing.

They speak to each other, out there, building hodge-podge cities and dreaming up parliaments. Once, they sent an emissary, a ratlike thing with two lengthy arms and the countenance of a young woman. It dragged its great, stinking testicles about the town hall until at last its reserved attitude broke, and it leaped in hissing animal hunger at an unsuspecting gentleman. It was dispatched by the throwing of stones, and dragged through the woods as warning to the others.

super sweet best pal posted:

"Welcome to sky fortress Albatross, ruler of the sea!"

This is great. What a handsome craft.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
sheer awe at everything

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Here we have an owlbear cub. Just don't get too close, its mother might be lurking somewhere nearby.

Here she is, a majestic specimen. Capable of tearing its prey to shreds in an instant. This hardened killer is prized for her feathery pelt and dozens of hunters die every year trying to take one down.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Just got some pics back from my trip to the island of Palsipikado.

Took this one to test my camera and check the white balance lol

Here's my boyfriend Drent, say hi Drent! lol

Fidney enjoying a shady spot at the beach

It was really nice Thass could make it out for this because she's only got about a year left to live :,(

Melicha was having a lot of fun with this thing lol

And Deek was there! good boy!

The Moon Palace

A couple of native dwellings

Llama-Cloud Mountain

A piece by sculptor Wij Gilot at the Palsipikado Museum of Contemporary Arts

The mission of Nuestra Seņora de la Tortura Innecesaria

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

hey who wants ham, got all kinds of ham here:

oh

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
euaghhh

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Ham'b, from Cinco Foods!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FACTIONS:

The Orthemka: A mysterious peoples rarely seen outside their highly ornate, seemingly-magical armor. Though they keep mostly to their conurbations dotted throughout the Blasted Lands, often sorties will scour the wastes for some unknown artifact.

Dunestriders: These stalwart rangers of the Blasted Lands have rejected the life-ways of survival, refusing to band together or hide in cities. Instead, these individual adventurers rely on cunning, caution, and covertness to survive in the cracks between the major factions. Usually available for an odd spy job or mercenary work, they make also take your possessions and leave you stranded in the wastes.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Game of Thrones
Star Wars
Les Mis?
Guardians of the Galaxy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hello there! If you are reading this, that means you probably clicked on my custom title, or else you read the thread title. Very good! The ability to read and interpret words is just what we're looking for in this thread! Since this CYOA started somewhat accidentally, this will be the de facto OP. Feel free to read the first few pages to see where all this weirdness came from!

Welcome to Adventures in the Beaten Lands, a CYOA adventure where you explore your reality, some other realities, and then save every reality--if you don't die in the process.

All art assets are created by me (except for some submitted by our talented players) using the Ganbreeder app. Entries are on average once a day, and all you have to do is read. Each entry will come with a number of choices; you can either vote for one of them, or come up with your own idea. Whatever proves most popular--effective or idiotic as it may be--will be the course of action taken by your character. Inventory items and known characters are linked at the bottom of each entry, for your convenience.

If you need any further guidance, or you're just curious to read up on things, a Beaten Lands Wiki exists at: https://beaten-lands.fandom.com/wiki/Beaten_Lands_Wiki

I hope you enjoy reading, and I hope you'll join us in making choices!

And don't forget, if you like what's going on here, there's more Adventures in the Beaten Lands in this thread!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As the haze clears, you find yourself on a cliff overlooking the widening of a narrow glen, a landscape of craggy hills and scattered rivers that stretches as far to the EAST as you can see.

To the WEST behind you, you hear nothing.

To the NORTH there is the distant sound of a machine-like hum, just below the level of your hearing.

To the SOUTH there is the repeated screech of an animal.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 6, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Brawnfire posted:

As the haze clears, you find yourself on a cliff overlooking the widening of a narrow glen, a landscape of craggy hills and scattered rivers that stretches as far to the EAST as you can see.

To the WEST behind you, you hear nothing.

To the NORTH there is the distant sound of a machine-like hum, just below the level of your hearing.

To the SOUTH there is the repeated screech of an animal.
this has a really ominous feel after all the factions

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Your commands are:

>GO [N]ORTH
>GO [W]EST
>GO [S]OUTH
>GO [E]AST
>[L]OOK
>[H]EAR (LISTEN)
>[S]MELL
>[T]ASTE
>[Q]ORATE
>[P]ICK UP
>[I]NVENTORY
>[A]TTACK (UNARMED MELEE)

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
[S]! Go [S]outh and [S]mell whatever's there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

South: Lick to taste whatever is making the sound.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Hell yeah

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cichlidae posted:

[S]! Go [S]outh and [S]mell whatever's there.

sonofabitch do you know how many times I changed that list to remove duplicates? Guess Southward travel includes sniffing now, or it can be [M]

pixaal posted:

South: Lick to taste whatever is making the sound.

You go SOUTH, sniffing heartily at the wind as you are wont to do. You pick up a familiar musk.

A Vulpinhawk is staring at you from a low tree branch.

These things are common as pinecones around here. However, this one has a different-sounding screech, as if it were in pain.

As you stand beneath the vulpinhawk puzzling over this, you notice blood pit-pit-patting to the earth below the bird.

Looking closer, you can see the creature has been wounded on its flank below its wing, with some sort of crossbow missile embedded in the bloodied feathers. You can also see a small metal circlet hanging off one leg.

You stand on your tiptoes, and capture a little bit of the vulpinhawk blood on your tongue, tasting it. You don't know why the hell you did that, but nature has a way of changing a person, tapping into baser instincts one never knew they had.

The bird is perched above you, probably within your reach if you want to try to grab it.

Otherwise, there's still a path back NORTH from which you hear the distant machine hum.

EAST is tangled thicket, which you could probably get through if you had a machete, but why bother?

The path you are on forks WEST and SOUTH and continues for as far as you see from here, although there's a glint like the sun's reflection off still water to the WEST

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
[P]ick up

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can we poop?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You reach out and grasp the bird. It tries to fly away, but cannot. You cradle the thing in your hands, inspecting the wound.

The thought crosses your mind that you haven't pooped in a while. You experiment with a couple flexes of the sphincter, but there is presently no pressing need to defecate. You decide to put that on hold for now and check back later, when you are not holding a wounded vulpinhawk.

The small golden tag comes into view again: The sign of Muss, the glyph for M in the lands that spoke the Lavish tongue.

Suddenly, a voice comes from behind you: "You're either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid."

You turn to face the speaker, and he carries on:

"You know where you are, right?"

1.) "Of course I do, who in Squiv are you to question me?"
2.) "No, I do not know where I am. Are you someone who can help me?"
3.) "If these are your lands forgive me, I was starving and the bird was wounded already. Please, take it."
4.) Player custom: _____________________________

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'll let someone else participate, but this is really cool

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
>3

E: Also,
>(S)ticky

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Paladinus posted:

>3

>(S)ticky

I agree [E]at the bird in front of this man and refuse to share.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Paladinus posted:

>3

>(S)ticky

"You know where you are, right?" says the figure.

"If these are your lands, forgive me," you say, putting on an obsequious voice. "I was starving and the bird was wounded already." You proffer the vulpinhawk to the stranger. "Please, take it."

The man appears amused for a moment. "My lands?" he says, smirking. "Do I look like a Morani to you?"

pixaal posted:

I agree [E]at the bird in front of this man and refuse to share.

You draw the offered bird back and sink your teeth into it. The thing spasms and shrieks as blood burbles up into your mouth. Pinfeathers and gore are all you can taste as the stranger gives you a disturbed look.

"Um--" he ventures, but you take another reluctant bite to drive the point home. The bird wriggles to free itself as you fight your gag reflex.

"Keep the bird, I don't even care." he says, very very sincerely. "But be warned, these are the Morani's hunting grounds. You'll be hanged for poaching their game."

"I didn't shoot the bird," you say, mouth sticky with blood. The vulpinhawk feels stiff in your grip.

"It doesn't matter," says the stranger. "Who will they believe if they find you here, covered in blood? And who is to say the hunter himself is gone?"

You look around in concern. The paths to the NORTH, SOUTH and WEST appear to be devoid of people.

Just then, a screaming crossbow bolt slams into a tree near your head. It seems to have originated from the thicket to the EAST

"Look, I know a place to hide. If you trust me, follow me. If you don't... well, good luck!"

With that, the stranger sprints down the path to the WEST.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Go [E]ast to kill whatever is attacking you.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It hungers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

runaway! go west!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Over There posted:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Hi, I'm Dave. Dave with a "y".

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 3, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kharmakazy posted:

Hi, I'm Dave. Dave with a "y".

I'm loving losing my poo poo at this for some reason, goddamn

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

heaven door

strange, soft creature

bird pope!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Over There posted:

Do this, but take the bolt from the tree to use as a weapon. Also throw the bird corpse at them

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I have 2.17x leftover pupkins from this year's spore glands if anyone wants to take care of them

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

ephemeral dogs:

unfortunately these dogs won't "stay" if you command them to

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tace Vim posted:

unfortunately these dogs won't "stay" if you command them to

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tace Vim posted:

ephemeral dogs:

You seemed to have posted Taweret, the Hippo goddess in with theses good boy dogs.