Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
A priest is a White Mage, right? Why does he only have 6 MP?

Also, I'm not familiar with Dragon Quest, but I'm pretty sure the slimes the most basic enemy type.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A priest is a White Mage, right? Why does he only have 6 MP?

Also, I'm not familiar with Dragon Quest, but I'm pretty sure the slimes the most basic enemy type.

Those look like level 1 stats, and going by DQ3 (the first one with character classes) it's Monaca and Nagisa who have the weird MP. 48's way too much given that entry-level spells cost, like, one or two.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, that explains it. I thought his MP was too low, but it's theirs that's too high.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's possible they gave him lovely stats cause they don't like him.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Man I don't know exactly why but I really do like Komaru as a protagonist. That's definitely a really big charm point of the game.

I still stand by that every game in the Danganronpa series would be objectively better if they committed to making every one an actual anthology piece. Trying to connect them all (for the most part, there are actually some instances that I really dig but spoilers) just draw away from the tight execution of each game. Especially Junko. Junko is so incredibly lame. The only good thing about her is that one anime dub where they straight up make her a tumblr girl the entire time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought she was a Valley Girl in the anime.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, there was a scene where she straight up went "YAS KWEEN", so maybe the truth is in the middle.

Honestly, after this LP is over, I might actually do a sort of "Let's Watch" thing where I go over DR3, just to complete the picture for whoever wants to do DRV3. And if I do, it would be with the dub, because the dub is loving amazing.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, yeah, but saying poo poo like "yass queen" is pretty tumblr/internet-y, so it's either a bit of both or they're kinda the same thing

E: McD McD Yas Kween

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Blue Labrador posted:

Man I don't know exactly why but I really do like Komaru as a protagonist. That's definitely a really big charm point of the game.

I love her. I love her WTF expression when insane poo poo is going on and I love her propensity for rubbing kids faces in it when she beats them.

I also side with her in this little spat between the heroines.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's possible they gave him lovely stats cause they don't like him.

Also possible he gave himself lovely stats because he doesn’t like himself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What I find interesting about the art here is that he's not wearing the mask on any of the cutouts.

And he cast himself as the frog prince who is actually handsome once the frog curse has faded.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Alright, we're back at the secret base, of which we now know that it's not so secret any more, of which we now know that more anti-Future-Foundation sentiment is building up in it, and of which we now know that the Warriors of Hope are planning to attack it. So, yeah, plenty of things to be confident in the future about. Let's see how things turn out.

Yeah, see, that's a bad sign. When you enter a place, ask where somebody is, and the one you're talking to just turns around and leaves, that is not a sign that you should stay there.

Umm... Hello?

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

Now, I want to hear the whole story, but first...
Welcome back! Come, leap into my arms!
Jeez, this guy developed a taste for hugs fast!
C'mon, don't be modest! Do it! Do iiit!
I-I guess I can... I haven't taken a bath for a while, so I might be a little sticky...
Oh. How about you comb out your hair, take a bath, and change your clothes and undergarments first?
Geez, pushy! Why don't I just wrap myself in a bow for you, too?
Well, I was trying to do a dirty joke, since usually I'm very clean. As a change of pace. Anyway... You two must be tired. Why don't you just rest for a while?
With the mood in here, I don't think I could sleep even if I wanted to. Aside from you, everyone seems...unwelcoming.
Th-That's not it! They're just...shy! I mean, not just one, but two girls in school uniforms? That's enough to make a man's heart burst! I've heard that you only appreciate being high school age after you've graduated high school...
Hey everyone! Aren't you glad these young girls came back to us!?

Hrm.

See, totally welcoming!
What the hell are you talking about!? Are your ears busted or something?
Hey, Shirokuma... Thanks for the offer, but I really don't feel like resting right now.
Komaru...what happened? Did the connection not work?
No, the connection worked fine. But I'm just not sure Future Foundation is going to come through.
I see... So that's why you're so down...
I'm sorry... Do you want me to pat your head?
Pat her head? How many heads have you crushed with a hand like that?
L-Like I said, I don't do anything like that!
Yeah, I know. I trust you, Shirokuma. ...You're the only one I can trust anymore.
Hmph...

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

I... I don't know what to do anymore.
... To tell you the truth, Haiji and the others are in a conference discussing exactly that.
Why don't you go on in and join them?
Huh? B-But...
That's not a good idea. Have you already forgotten you ignored his warning and went to Towa Tower?
Oh, that's nothing! That was just a small misunderstanding, we still have the same goal! To stop these out of control kids, and free the mistreated adults... Isn't that right?
I...didn't really think it through that far.

Yeah, I think Komaru's goal up to this point has been like "Step 1: Get the gently caress out. Step 2: Maybe rescue somebody else if they're currently tagging along?". The part where she saves the entire city hasn't really come up yet.

No, really. I know you can do it.
Huh?
Rather... You have to do it. You have to be able to save the adults.
Wh-What're you saying? She's the complete opposite kind of girl you want for this!
This is Armageddon! And we gotta band together and destroy that Kid asteroid!
C'mon, our future is in there!
Jeez, what's wrong with him?

♪ BGM: Secret Base ~Left Behind By The Adults~

Well, here we are again. Let's see how people are holding up.

Ah...
A-Are you alright...?
Ah... Ah...

This guy is just wordlessly freaking out.

This guy was the one shouting at the monitor before... Something about his wife...
Ah... Ah...
So...how'd he end up like this?

We can now enter the four little houses in the base, and they hold collectibles!

What's your special talent?
Didn't I tell you? My talent is writing. They used to call me the "Ultimate Writing Prodigy"...
Wow, that's so cool! A novelist! That's really admirable!
I-It doesn't mean anything to me to be admired by a talentless girl like you.
Hmph, you think I'm talentless, but really I'm super good at something!
You're gonna say you're super good at reading manga or something, right?
...drat.
Wait, you were really going to say that?
N-No! I'm special in tons of ways! Like how I use a desk mat instead of a fan when it's hot... Or how I only get called on in class when I *don't* know the answer...
...The only thing abnormal about you is your stupidity.
...Kinda wish I was more normal in that area, then.
Now that I think about it, your reactions are all pretty normal, too.
N-No, stop! Don't treat me like a normal person anymore!
How fast do you run a 100 meter dash?
...I wanna say...18 seconds.
And what's your favorite music?
...Top 40.
...Horrifying.
Jeez, stop it already... You're making me sad.
What's your favorite saying?
...All's well that ends well.
And your favorite food?
Um, it's...swallow's nest and tuna eyeballs.
...What?
Hm? Something wrong?
No, I must have...heard you wrong. What's your favorite food?
I told you, swallow's nest, tuna eyeballs... Oh, I also like kangaroo meat.
...I'm going to pretend we never had this conversation!

♪ BGM: Secret Base ~Left Behind By The Adults~

No more... I can't take it anymore!
...Maybe it's better to just leave her alone.

So the adults in the base are going stir crazy. Well, I'm sure Haiji is already planning how he can next say that this isn't the time to act yet and we just need to wait another month for the right moment. That'll cheer them right up.

Next, another collectible.

Wooo, corporate propaganda!

Another collectible over here.

♪ Jingle: Skill GET!

More EXP, always welcomed.

And another collectible.

Some more backstory about Hope's Peak Elementary.

It's going to be just fine... I think.
I-I sure hope so... ...But I really do feel like I can hear them. Their laugh... I-It's going to be alright... Sure it is, right? Monokumas aren't going to get down here...
I-It's gonna be fine!
U-Ugh... It's no use... I can hear them! The laughing!
H-He's losing it...

Everything is fine here.

And one more collectible for the road.

Hrm. Looks like the anti-Future-Foundation sentiment is coming from Towa itself.

I-I can't die in a place like this... Let me outta here!

Yep, everything fine here.

And? What's wrong with that?
I've heard rumors. Hm, Future Foundation wants to destroy this entire town.
...Huh?
O-Of course they don't! Who's spreading a rumor like that?
I dunno, but I know there are plenty of people here who believe it. ...You should be careful.

Yeah, staying here is looking like a better and better idea. Well, let's have a chat with Hiroko.

Well, I figured you would. How should I put it...? There's something different about you two, compared to these people.
What do you mean?
How can I say it...? The air around you, it's different. You two are always facing forward. But in here, the air is getting heavier and heavier. Everyone's stressed. Stuck in a dark and moldy place like this, how could you not be...?
Anyway... You went outside... Can you tell me about it? Did you get some kind of clue about people with wristbands?

And... that's the conversation. I guess we talk to her again?

♪ BGM: Abnormality on the Girls' Front Line

Enough dilly-dallying. Hurry up and show her. You always say "normal" this and "normal" that, but *now* you're freezing up?
...What do you mean?
Nothing. I was just saying something normal, to use your favorite word.
Um... What's up with you two?

Uh... talk to her again?

What, do you both have food poisoning or somethin'?

Hrm. I guess Komaru really doesn't want to show Hiroko her own Hit List entry.

Guess we'll head into the conference and see what's what.

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

OK, so there's multiple male adults here in this scene, but let's be honest, it don't make a gently caress who of these generic people is talking, and I can't be arsed to make specific portraits.

But the kids have those Monokumas on their side. We have to do something about them, first.
What do you mean by that?
It's like I said. We have to take them out somehow!
I'm at my wit's end here... If I stay underground another minute I'm gonna lose it!
I'm telling you, without a plan, a fight right now is far too risky!
Haiji... As leader, what do you think?
I have everyone's lives in my hands. There's no way I'd put you all in danger. I'm completely against a suicide attack, even for those who are prepared to die.
So you want us to just *stay* here? You're telling us to spend our lives in this lovely place, constantly afraid of those kids?
My principle is to not waste lives. As a leader, I cannot accept a plan that defies that.
B-But...
I'm not telling you to stay here forever. I'm just saying now is not the right time.
...Does anyone else have any ideas?

♪ BGM: DSO_Weekly Despair Magazine

H-Hello...
You two... Why are you two here? I already told you, I don't wanna talk to you anymore.
Now now! It's not the time to argue. You guys have to get along, especially at a time like this!
Regardless... This conference is over.
No, not yet! It's not like you've considered all the options yet, right? Remember the idea I brought up before? Did you consider that?
I already told you, it's impossible.
I understand how you feel, but...
Hey... What exactly are you guys talking about?
It's...about persuading the children.
Persuade!?
*That's* your idea? It's obviously a little late for that, don't you think!?
But you guys are all humans! You can come to an agreement with words instead of violence...
You really think a group of monsters like those kids can be *reasoned* with?
I bet they'd kill us the moment we showed up to treat with them.
Plus, this group here... There can't be peace with those kids. You know what they've done.
B-But still, why don't you at least try!? It's like Shirokuma said, we're all humans...
Did you already forget who we're dealing with? Remember what that P.E. punk showed us?

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

As Hero, I hunted them down and let everyone go free!

Those brats don't even care about family. Things like persuasion... It will never work.
That's right! They're not human, they're demons!
And not just that, even if we tried to use family to persuade them, it's not possible. The survivors here don't have any children anyway.
...Huh? W-Wait, you mean everyone here doesn't have any kids? But there's so many adults here!
It's probably not a coincidence. Those kids are focusing on parents first.
Wh-Why?
Who knows...? They have a deep-seeded hatred of the ones who raised them. It's messed up.
...It's impossible to persuade a group like that. I'm completely against the idea.
But, if fighting is impossible, and persuasion is impossible... What are you going to do?
Didn't I already say it? The best plan is to just wait for a while for a good opportunity.
And exactly how long is this "for a while"?
I-I don't know. But now's the time to toughen up and endure it.

♪ BGM: DSO_All All Apologies

You say "wait" and "endure"... You're just repeating the fact you're not gonna do anything.
...You're an outsider. How could you possibly understand? I am...the leader of this Resistance. I have to think about the lives of *everyone* here.
What "resistance"? A useless l-leader like you... You're even more of a burden than this chick!
What did you say?
H-Hey! You two!
You don't think about others and just say whatever you want... You're no different than those kids.
You're the one who's a child. Complaining, not even doing anything...
If you don't like the way I lead, then you can *leave*. No one is going to stop you.
You don't have to tell me twice, I'm leaving. But I know you're wrong.
Let's go...Omaru.
You're the one who's wrong, Toko.
...Huh? Wh-What are you saying!?

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

You...don't understand... You don't understand the feelings of the weak at all...
I-I'm not blaming them for being weak, I'm blaming them for using it as an excuse!
That's exactly my point! The reason they don't do anything is because they can't build confidence! I would know! You're someone strong, with talent, chosen for Hope's Peak Academy and Future Foundation...
You don't know how people like me feel! You don't know what it's like!
...I don't understand what it's like to be weak? You think I'm "chosen"?
You must be kidding. What's so great about me, huh? I'm a w-walking inferiority complex!
I don't have confidence! I never have! But what's going to change if I just keep saying that? Using that as an excuse every day!? I-I learned that...from the killing. I suffered for it, but I did something about it.
So for you to say that l was just "chosen," like I had nothing to do with it... I won't allow it.
Please, wait guys! Ooh, fighting is a big no no!

But suddenly!

Huh!?

♪ BGM: Business Trip Version Punishment ~Monokuma Raid Episode~

Monokumas are making their way through the sewers...

...up the ladder...

...and the door isn't exactly holding up well.

The adults are faring about as well as you'd expect, too.

How did the children find out about this place!?
That's not important right now! Just run!

...Wait! Please...protect everyone!
P-Protect?
If this keeps up, everyone will be killed! If you can at least buy us some time... I beg you, please! We need you!
...Now's not the time to argue. If we don't fight, our lives are in danger too.
...F-Fine.

♪ BGM: DSO_Living to the Fullest

Alright, so now we need to defend the secret base. Well, I mean, I guess we can stop calling it "secret" now.

This is a relatively simple sequence - there's a steady stream of regular and Bomber Monokumas coming, and you need to defend five adults, similar to how we defended Shirokuma and Taichi in earlier segments. This one is however quite tough as far as keeping everyone alive is concerned - especially if you're like me and still obsess over getting Nice Shots even in situations like this. Gotta get that paper, man. Well, it's not like all of them need to stay alive anyway. You lose if you lose too many of them, but some are acceptable losses. While you're trying to shoot Monokumas, Shirokuma will also run around and run into Monokumas, which will knock them over - doesn't seem to deal any damage, though, so it's just a minor help.

Sometimes I also make incredibly intelligent choices, like blasting a Bomber near an adult that's about to die, killing them. Then I make that choice twice. I killed more of the adults by mistake than by screwing up killing Monokumas. Man, I'm good. Anyway, that segment goes on for about two minutes in my case - it's a fixed number of Monokumas you need to take out.

And eventually we're done.

Toko and Komaru are left with a pile of bodies.

Or, well, the people are still writhing in agony, so that's technically not a dead body.

...Huh?

I convinced people to stay underground, stay hidden so they couldn't be followed... But after all that...this happens.
The only explanation is that they followed you. *You* brought them here!

You know, this kinda all falls flat when you consider that the Monokumas literally control the entire city and are also spread around the entire sewer. But no, they surely wouldn't find this place after a bit of time. After all, they would have had to climb a ladder to find it! That's way too much work. But hey, what do you expect from the Ultimate Fuckhead.

W-We did?

When you contacted Future Foundation, the kids must have honed in on you. They tailed you, and you brought them right back here!

There were Monokumas like literally half a minute's walk away from this place.

It's all your fault! You did this to all of us!
B-But that's not fair! I... I didn't *want* this to happen!

If they never came back here after their stupid mission, this place wouldn't have been ambushed!
Th-That's a baseless accusation! You're just making an assumption--
Well, as long as I'm assuming, I guess I'll go one further and say you guys are spies for the kids!
Th-That's not funny! What could we possibly gain from that!?
I remember an old folk tale, about a war between birds and beasts. By using the face of both bird and beast, the bat played both sides. But because he couldn't get too close to either, in the end, the bat ends up alone.

You know, there has to be a point where Komaru just has to say "I KILLED TWO OF THE WARRIORS OF HOPE YOU USELESS DIPSHIT". In general, it seems like the fact that Komaru destroyed two giant loving robots and with that took out almost half of the Warriors of Hope is being really glossed over, particularly in Komaru's "I can't do anything" state of mind.

Wh-What are you trying to say?
Bird or beast... I wonder which side you're on.

Suddenly, the screen on the large display in the middle of the base turns on, showing a strange place that kinda looks like a torture chamber and two Monokuma kids.

Damnit, this again!
Please, make it stop!
Why? Why now?

What... is that?
What, you're asking me? Don't act like you don't know.

And with one fingersnap...

Lock them up.

...the adults grab Komaru and Toko and carry them away. What awaits our heroines next? Well, that'll be for next time to find out!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Haiji Status: Still an rear end in a top hat.

TheMcD posted:

No, I must have...heard you wrong. What's your favorite food?
I told you, swallow's nest, tuna eyeballs... Oh, I also like kangaroo meat.
...I'm going to pretend we never had this conversation!

Where did she even ge

I'm not going to question it.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Sorry, but despite how much of an rear end in a top hat Hajii might be, he has some drat points. The kids even talk about using Toko and Komaru to massacre all the remaining adults. Sure, the base would have been found at some point, presumably, but that doesn't excuse Toko and Komaru possibly leading the Monokuma Kids or whomever straight to it and then acting like they are saviors (at least in Toko's case anyway).

I don't side with Toko at all on this one. It's real easy for someone with crazy "split-personality Anime powers to cut bears to ribbons with a pair of scissors" power to talk about doing something. The adults here can do what, exactly? Hit them with pipes and boards? The only reason Komaru is still alive is because of Toko and the fact that she was given a future-tech gun that works amazingly well against the Monokuma's. I could maybe see their point if the Resistance was well armed or well trained in combat and were just too chicken to act, but these are regular people off the street. If you send them out, they are going to die, as we just witnessed happening.

Hajii's choice is literally between hiding and trying to come up with a workable plan or waiting for some miracle to happen, or leading everyone under his watch straight into a meat-grinder that none of them will escape from. Toko is looking him straight in the face and telling him to lead a suicide march.

He also has a genuine reason to suspect they are spies for the kids. The two of them destroying some Monokumas means absolutely nothing in terms of trust building. Those are robot killing machines. Sure, they took out two of the Heroes, but none of the adults know that or can confirm it. Hell, Toko and Komaru can't even conclusively prove they did it. There was no body left. The Monokuma Kids just surrounded them and they disappeared. I still have doubts they're dead myself, especially with the way that the other kids keep questioning Monaca about it and she immediately intimidates them into acceptance.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 18, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I didn't comment on everything regarding that update, but that kinda attitude reminds me of Final Fantasy XIV where you have a bunch of revolutionaries violently killed onscreen by the evil empire that has taken over their homeland and this is immediately followed up by one of the characters going to their homeland, which is pretty much mostly just the elderly and children at this point, and going "Why don't you guys fight against the empire?"

Not everyone has main character privilege. :argh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

On the other hand, imprisoning your only source of defense against the kids seems real stupid.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

SSNeoman posted:

On the other hand, imprisoning your only source of defense against the kids seems real stupid.

TheMcD posted:

Sometimes I also make incredibly intelligent choices, like blasting a Bomber near an adult that's about to die, killing them. Then I make that choice twice. I killed more of the adults by mistake than by screwing up killing Monokumas. Man, I'm good. Anyway, that segment goes on for about two minutes in my case - it's a fixed number of Monokumas you need to take out.

They might actually be safer with those two locked up. Or at least LP Komaru.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, I didn't comment on everything regarding that update, but that kinda attitude reminds me of Final Fantasy XIV where you have a bunch of revolutionaries violently killed onscreen by the evil empire that has taken over their homeland and this is immediately followed up by one of the characters going to their homeland, which is pretty much mostly just the elderly and children at this point, and going "Why don't you guys fight against the empire?"

Not everyone has main character privilege. :argh:

Which area/part was that? That's not part of the Stormblood DLC, is it? I never did get back into the game enough to play through that one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Last update: Look at how horribly this child was sexually abused, don't you feel sorry for her?

This update, almost immediately after that: High Schoolers are hotties! Am I right?!

And while I can sympathize with not wanting to suicide charge, neither one of the blabber mouthing idiots seem to consider that there are ways the survivors can band together in active resistance without a suicide charge. It's an army of killer robots and it's a company city for a gigantic tech company. Surely someone has some skills that could get put to use in finding a way to neutralize what is pretty much the only threat?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

Which area/part was that? That's not part of the Stormblood DLC, is it? I never did get back into the game enough to play through that one.

The end of Heavensward and the beginning of Stormblood.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Psycho Knight posted:

Sorry, but despite how much of an rear end in a top hat Hajii might be, he has some drat points. The kids even talk about using Toko and Komaru to massacre all the remaining adults. Sure, the base would have been found at some point, presumably, but that doesn't excuse Toko and Komaru possibly leading the Monokuma Kids or whomever straight to it and then acting like they are saviors (at least in Toko's case anyway).

I don't side with Toko at all on this one. It's real easy for someone with crazy "split-personality Anime powers to cut bears to ribbons with a pair of scissors" power to talk about doing something. The adults here can do what, exactly? Hit them with pipes and boards? The only reason Komaru is still alive is because of Toko and the fact that she was given a future-tech gun that works amazingly well against the Monokuma's. I could maybe see their point if the Resistance was well armed or well trained in combat and were just too chicken to act, but these are regular people off the street. If you send them out, they are going to die, as we just witnessed happening.

Hajii's choice is literally between hiding and trying to come up with a workable plan or waiting for some miracle to happen, or leading everyone under his watch straight into a meat-grinder that none of them will escape from. Toko is looking him straight in the face and telling him to lead a suicide march.

He also has a genuine reason to suspect they are spies for the kids. The two of them destroying some Monokumas means absolutely nothing in terms of trust building. Those are robot killing machines. Sure, they took out two of the Heroes, but none of the adults know that or can confirm it. Hell, Toko and Komaru can't even conclusively prove they did it. There was no body left. The Monokuma Kids just surrounded them and they disappeared. I still have doubts they're dead myself, especially with the way that the other kids keep questioning Monaca about it and she immediately intimidates them into acceptance.

OK, I'm going to disagree here, because there are two theses in particular about UDG I represent. Those two are "Monaca is awesome" and "Haiji is a massive incompetent fuckhead".

Number one - on the topic of the base being found. Nagisa does say something about using Komaru and Toko to destroy the Resistance, at a later point he says he's already found the secret base while Komaru and Toko have just left Towa Tower. So it's a mixed bag on that front - not to mention the fact that the only reason Komaru and Toko went out to Towa Tower in the first place is because Haiji just told them to gently caress off because "abloobloo Future Foundation", leading to them getting a new plan from Shirokuma. So not good marks for Haiji on that point.

Number two - on the topic of "what can the Resistance do". OK, let's just assume that every single adult in the base is completely incapable of doing anything because they don't have super protagonist powers. So why exactly did Haiji then tell the very first two people who could do anything against the Monokumas that wandered into his base to gently caress off again? Because "abloobloo Future Foundation". It should at this point be pointed out that Haiji is the son of Tokuichi Towa, the chairman of Towa Group (this is noted in his bio). So he's the son of the head honcho. And we recently learned that Towa Group is at the very least complicit in spreading anti-Future-Foundation propaganda (if not the outright source), to the point of insinuating they're responsible for the Tragedy in the first place, which we know isn't true. So Haiji is turning his back on what might be the best chance his Resistance has at actually doing something about the problem because of corporate propaganda which in the best case he's simply bought into, and in the worst case he knows is bullshit.

Number three - on the topic of Haiji's plan. So, you're giving three options here. "Waiting for a miracle" is out (especially given that Komaru and Toko showing up would have been that loving miracle if he didn't throw it away immediately) and so is "suicide march", so let's take a look at "hiding and coming up with a workable plan". So, what is Haiji's plan?

TheMcD posted:

But, if fighting is impossible, and persuasion is impossible... What are you going to do?
Didn't I already say it? The best plan is to just wait for a while for a good opportunity.
And exactly how long is this "for a while"?
I-I don't know. But now's the time to toughen up and endure it.

Wait for a good opportunity. How is he going to know a good opportunity is there when nobody is allowed out of the base because he's so paranoid even Shirokuma has to sneak out without permission? I don't think he would have an answer for that. But let's just assume he has like a loving Spider-Sense for good opportunities and would magically know when to act despite not scouting at all. So, when is this going to happen? Well, he doesn't know, and that's a problem. Let's talk about time for a second, by putting up a time scale.

Day 1: Riots break out in Towa City. The Monokumas start their killing. Komaru escapes the apartment and is captured after passing out.
Day 2: Komaru sleeps in the Warriors of Hope's airship.
Day 3: Komaru sleeps in the Warriors of Hope's airship.
Day 4: Komaru wakes up, meets the Warriors, is air-dropped into Towa City. The events of Chapter 1 and part of Chapter 2 happen. Komaru and Toko sleep in the secret base.
Day 5: Komaru and Toko head to Towa Tower, the rest of Chapter 2 happens. The two eventually return to the secret base.

So, we're on day 5 of the riots, and we've clearly seen that the adults are already going stir crazy. I don't think Haiji realizes that if this continues for, like, a week, at least some of the adults will have probably gone completely insane, meaning that either people are going to start killing themselves rather than continue sitting in the base (which is going to do loving wonders for morale), start getting violent towards other adults, or in an even worse case, there's going to be outright mutiny and his rear end is either getting imprisoned or straight up murdered, depending on how insane the adults have gone at that point. His plan basically has a hard time limit and is doomed to fail unless something happens, which you'd think would inspire him to take a shot on Komaru and Toko instead of slowly lumbering towards complete dysfunction, but whatever, blah blah "not wasting lives" I guess.

Number four - on Komaru and Toko being spies. I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. The order of events is way too convoluted. If we assume the two are spies, that means that:

- They sought out and rescued Shirokuma, despite the fact that destroying it would have pretty much ensured that the Resistance would have shriveled up and died without their savior
- They made their way to the secret base with Shirokuma and then didn't launch an attack despite knowing that Shirokuma would lead them to the secret base
- They then get themselves thrown out, despite the fact that they wouldn't be overly combative if they were spies in order to do, y'know, spying poo poo
- They then stay at the secret base and absolutely nothing happens, despite that being a perfect opportunity to surprise attack and kill everybody
- They then leave the secret base and no attack happens after they've left
- They then return to the secret base for some reason and then, finally, an attack happens

This, to me, only works if you assume that Komaru and Toko were only able to reveal the location of the secret base to the kids after leaving, but then why even stay the night in the first place? Why return to the secret base and not just let Monokumas flood the place and murder everybody? Like, you can say that repealing the attack was supposed to make the Resistance trust Komaru and Toko, but that makes no sense because there's no reason for it - without Komaru and Toko, the attack on the secret base would have killed everybody because there was nobody there that can fight back, making the objective of making the Resistance trust Komaru and Toko completely redundant!

In conclusion, I think Haiji is a fuckhead.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

TheMcD posted:

OK, I'm going to disagree here, because there are two theses in particular about UDG I represent. Those two are "Monaca is awesome" and "Haiji is a massive incompetent fuckhead".

Number one - on the topic of the base being found. Nagisa does say something about using Komaru and Toko to destroy the Resistance, at a later point he says he's already found the secret base while Komaru and Toko have just left Towa Tower. So it's a mixed bag on that front - not to mention the fact that the only reason Komaru and Toko went out to Towa Tower in the first place is because Haiji just told them to gently caress off because "abloobloo Future Foundation", leading to them getting a new plan from Shirokuma. So not good marks for Haiji on that point.

Number two - on the topic of "what can the Resistance do". OK, let's just assume that every single adult in the base is completely incapable of doing anything because they don't have super protagonist powers. So why exactly did Haiji then tell the very first two people who could do anything against the Monokumas that wandered into his base to gently caress off again? Because "abloobloo Future Foundation". It should at this point be pointed out that Haiji is the son of Tokuichi Towa, the chairman of Towa Group (this is noted in his bio). So he's the son of the head honcho. And we recently learned that Towa Group is at the very least complicit in spreading anti-Future-Foundation propaganda (if not the outright source), to the point of insinuating they're responsible for the Tragedy in the first place, which we know isn't true. So Haiji is turning his back on what might be the best chance his Resistance has at actually doing something about the problem because of corporate propaganda which in the best case he's simply bought into, and in the worst case he knows is bullshit.

Number three - on the topic of Haiji's plan. So, you're giving three options here. "Waiting for a miracle" is out (especially given that Komaru and Toko showing up would have been that loving miracle if he didn't throw it away immediately) and so is "suicide march", so let's take a look at "hiding and coming up with a workable plan". So, what is Haiji's plan?

Wait for a good opportunity. How is he going to know a good opportunity is there when nobody is allowed out of the base because he's so paranoid even Shirokuma has to sneak out without permission? I don't think he would have an answer for that. But let's just assume he has like a loving Spider-Sense for good opportunities and would magically know when to act despite not scouting at all. So, when is this going to happen? Well, he doesn't know, and that's a problem. Let's talk about time for a second, by putting up a time scale.

Day 1: Riots break out in Towa City. The Monokumas start their killing. Komaru escapes the apartment and is captured after passing out.
Day 2: Komaru sleeps in the Warriors of Hope's airship.
Day 3: Komaru sleeps in the Warriors of Hope's airship.
Day 4: Komaru wakes up, meets the Warriors, is air-dropped into Towa City. The events of Chapter 1 and part of Chapter 2 happen. Komaru and Toko sleep in the secret base.
Day 5: Komaru and Toko head to Towa Tower, the rest of Chapter 2 happens. The two eventually return to the secret base.

So, we're on day 5 of the riots, and we've clearly seen that the adults are already going stir crazy. I don't think Haiji realizes that if this continues for, like, a week, at least some of the adults will have probably gone completely insane, meaning that either people are going to start killing themselves rather than continue sitting in the base (which is going to do loving wonders for morale), start getting violent towards other adults, or in an even worse case, there's going to be outright mutiny and his rear end is either getting imprisoned or straight up murdered, depending on how insane the adults have gone at that point. His plan basically has a hard time limit and is doomed to fail unless something happens, which you'd think would inspire him to take a shot on Komaru and Toko instead of slowly lumbering towards complete dysfunction, but whatever, blah blah "not wasting lives" I guess.

Number four - on Komaru and Toko being spies. I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. The order of events is way too convoluted. If we assume the two are spies, that means that:

- They sought out and rescued Shirokuma, despite the fact that destroying it would have pretty much ensured that the Resistance would have shriveled up and died without their savior
- They made their way to the secret base with Shirokuma and then didn't launch an attack despite knowing that Shirokuma would lead them to the secret base
- They then get themselves thrown out, despite the fact that they wouldn't be overly combative if they were spies in order to do, y'know, spying poo poo
- They then stay at the secret base and absolutely nothing happens, despite that being a perfect opportunity to surprise attack and kill everybody
- They then leave the secret base and no attack happens after they've left
- They then return to the secret base for some reason and then, finally, an attack happens

This, to me, only works if you assume that Komaru and Toko were only able to reveal the location of the secret base to the kids after leaving, but then why even stay the night in the first place? Why return to the secret base and not just let Monokumas flood the place and murder everybody? Like, you can say that repealing the attack was supposed to make the Resistance trust Komaru and Toko, but that makes no sense because there's no reason for it - without Komaru and Toko, the attack on the secret base would have killed everybody because there was nobody there that can fight back, making the objective of making the Resistance trust Komaru and Toko completely redundant!

In conclusion, I think Haiji is a fuckhead.

My point was not to say Hajii is not a fuckhead. My point is that I in no way sympathize or side with Toko on this argument. I can still bring myself to side with one fuckhead over another fuckhead (Toko).

Number One - As you mentioned, that's a mixed bag.

Number Two - If he does know the propaganda is bullshit, then I'll give you this one, sort of. If he doesn't, then believing it is not really a strike against him. It's not as though there's any compelling evidence to win him over. Especially since Toko, who he finds out is a Future-Foundation member, is there making GBS threads all over him for not throwing people into the furnace. She argues this despite outright admitting that Future-Foundation can't really help them anyway, because they can't contact them. So she's calling him a coward and a pile of poo poo for not leading people on a suicide mission, but then immediately shrugs her shoulders when asked if she has any sort of plan. Toko is not exactly winning any points there on her part.

Number Three - So then the plan he should go with is risk everyone in the base by throwing his support behind two mysterious high-school girls that have managed to roam around the city without being killed? I don't exactly treat that as a safe bet. Again, the choice remains "Try and wait it out" or "Get everyone killed immediately". You mentioned yourself that Monokuma are all over the place down in the sewers. He starts sending out regular scouting parties and that base is finished within the day. He doesn't exactly have an army of ninjas on his hands.

Number Four -

- They had no knowledge of what Shirokuma was until they rescued it. At which point it started talking about being able to bring them to a shelter where a bunch of adults were hiding out. That sounds like particular useful information to potential spies. If it had turned out to be a human, they could have probed for info and killed them if they didn't have anything of use. It's not exactly solid evidence to suggest that the two of them aren't spies, at least to a non-present observer.

- Everything else assumes you aren't dealing with psychotic murder-adults obsessed kids. They enjoy doing hosed up poo poo and messing with people in horrific ways. I'm sure the survivors of this are in no way doomed to an excruciating death that the Warriors have a blast with.

So I'm not disagreeing with you that Hajii is a fuckhead. I'm in no way defending him as a person. But I am completely in disagreement with Toko's high-as-a-kite-horse attitude.

It's a very tense and difficult situation they are in. Finding a way out of it isn't easy. Toko's attitude towards this just isn't something I can sympathize with, considering that she is in no way an average person. So while I agree with you that Hajii is a douche, I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on Toko's approach to this. She's equally as moronic as Hajii is. The only difference is that her plan gets people killed quicker for arguably the same chances of survival (close to nil).

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 18, 2018

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Haiji seems like the living incarnation of "it can't be helped". I assume that's intentional

Also, Haiji's going to look extremely dumb if it turns out the (possibly inadvertent) mole was Shirokuma all along.

Since apparently Masaru had a 'diorama' as well, I bet Monaca's going to have one of the other Warriors of Light for ultimate homeroom despair.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Psycho Knight posted:

My point was not to say Hajii is not a fuckhead. My point is that I in no way sympathize or side with Toko on this argument. I can still bring myself to side with one fuckhead over another fuckhead (Toko).

Number One - As you mentioned, that's a mixed bag.

Number Two - If he does know the propaganda is bullshit, then I'll give you this one, sort of. If he doesn't, then believing it is not really a strike against him. It's not as though there's any compelling evidence to win him over. Especially since Toko, who he finds out is a Future-Foundation member, is there making GBS threads all over him for not throwing people into the furnace. She argues this despite outright admitting that Future-Foundation can't really help them anyway, because they can't contact them. So she's calling him a coward and a pile of poo poo for not leading people on a suicide mission, but then immediately shrugs her shoulders when asked if she has any sort of plan. Toko is not exactly winning any points there on her part.

Number Three - So then the plan he should go with is risk everyone in the base by throwing his support behind two mysterious high-school girls that have managed to roam around the city without being killed? I don't exactly treat that as a safe bet. Again, the choice remains "Try and wait it out" or "Get everyone killed immediately". You mentioned yourself that Monokuma are all over the place down in the sewers. He starts sending out regular scouting parties and that base is finished within the day. He doesn't exactly have an army of ninjas on his hands.

Number Four -

- They had no knowledge of what Shirokuma was until they rescued it. At which point it started talking about being able to bring them to a shelter where a bunch of adults were hiding out. That sounds like particular useful information to potential spies. If it had turned out to be a human, they could have probed for info and killed them if they didn't have anything of use. It's not exactly solid evidence to suggest that the two of them aren't spies, at least to a non-present observer.

- Everything else assumes you aren't dealing with psychotic murder-adults obsessed kids. They enjoy doing hosed up poo poo and messing with people in horrific ways. I'm sure the survivors of this are in no way doomed to an excruciating death that the Warriors have a blast with.

So I'm not disagreeing with you that Hajii is a fuckhead. I'm in no way defending him as a person. But I am completely in disagreement with Toko's high-as-a-kite-horse attitude.

It's a very tense and difficult situation they are in. Finding a way out of it isn't easy. Toko's attitude towards this just isn't something I can sympathize with, considering that she is in no way an average person. So while I agree with you that Hajii is a douche, I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on Toko's approach to this. She's equally as moronic as Hajii is. The only difference is that her plan gets people killed quicker for arguably the same chances of survival (close to nil).

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree - not because of the reasons you might be thinking of, but because I recognize that I am, like, SUPER biased against Haiji, partially because of reasons that will come up later in the game (and don't think you can infer something from that - remember, my favorite character in the game is the one that casually triggers somebody else's PTSD and then punches her in the face repeatedly to get her to shut up, being a horrible person doesn't mean I'm going to hate you as a character), and as a result, I feel like I am just wired to consider everything he does terrible. "Haiji's plan is terrible because it comes from Haiji, and Toko's plan must be superior, because it doesn't come from Haiji and is therefore better", that kind of thing.

Motherfucker could bring me a free cake and I'd just want to slam it in his face. He could be replaced with a dozen Teruterus and I'd consider it an improvement. So, that's just for some context.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

TheMcD posted:

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree - not because of the reasons you might be thinking of, but because I recognize that I am, like, SUPER biased against Haiji, partially because of reasons that will come up later in the game (and don't think you can infer something from that - remember, my favorite character in the game is the one that casually triggers somebody else's PTSD and then punches her in the face repeatedly to get her to shut up, being a horrible person doesn't mean I'm going to hate you as a character), and as a result, I feel like I am just wired to consider everything he does terrible. "Haiji's plan is terrible because it comes from Haiji, and Toko's plan must be superior, because it doesn't come from Haiji and is therefore better", that kind of thing.

Motherfucker could bring me a free cake and I'd just want to slam it in his face. He could be replaced with a dozen Teruterus and I'd consider it an improvement. So, that's just for some context.

That's fine, I'm not saying anything about him as a person, I'm just saying that he has points. You can hate someone and still admit they may have a point.

The main thing I'm against in this scene is Toko. She could be arguing with a generic NPC or a complete monster for all I care, I just completely disagree with her position. The simple fact is that she is advocating regular people to stick their necks out and get basically slaughtered, while she possesses crazy protagonist powers that make her a tornado of destruction. She does this while talking like she's on a mountain-sized high ground.

It also bothers me because, due to the narrative, she will be completely vindicated by future events. Not because she has any kind of superior point, but because she is a protagonist and things are just going to work out her way. It would be a major surprise if they didn't, but after the repeat of killing some new character the moment they appear, I don't have any faith the game will subvert my expectations on this one.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 19, 2018

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: DSO_All All Apologies

This is another one of the scenes I particularly recommend you watch - the voice acting adds a lot here.

D-Dammit! They take away my stun gun, then they stuff me into this dusty room...
It's all her fault! I hope she chokes on a fish she caught herself! ...
Well, I guess I don't want her to actually die...
...Argh, I gotta focus on Master Byakuya now, not that stupid idiot! I can't just stay trapped in a place like this! I gotta hurry and save Mas--
I-I gotta...sa...save...ah...ah! ...
Th-That was close! I was about to sneeze there!
Ugh, I can't take this dust anymore! I gotta find Omaru and... ...
Gah, seriously, why am I thinking about *her* at a time like this!? So irritating... ...

So while Toko is trying really hard not to sneeze and is probably going to fail at some point...

...Komaru is not having a good time.

*sigh*...

She's thinking about the attack.

They tailed you, and you brought them right back here!
It's all your fault! You did this to all of us!

Oh wow, internal monologue. We haven't had that since, like, the prologue?

...He's right... If I didn't insist on coming back here...

And if I had just tried harder, if I were a better person, I could have protected them... I couldn't do it... Because I'm weak...
*sob*...
It's just like Toko said, I'm so weak... I kept saying "I can't do anything," always relying on others... I never even thought about "saving others," and now this happens...
*sob*...*sob*...

♪ BGM: It's a Kids' World

My name is Kotoko Utsugi. I'm the Fighter in the Warriors of Hope. Formerly known as Li'l Ultimate Drama! Well, not like it matters at all... Ooopen sesaaame!

Phew, I reached waaay back for that reference! I had to deal with baby boomers all the time, so my gags are kinda dated.
And speaking of old...
...Aw, I can't think of any follow-up! I must be nervous!
*sigh* My heart is racing faster than 16 shots a second! Master Takahashi would be proud!

Now that's a nice reference.

U-Um...?
Yeah, yeah, I already know what you wanna say. You were gonna tell me a Fighter should be a boy.
And speaking of boys, I've heard some people say that slugs don't have a gender... But actually, slugs have both male and female bodies at once!
People who go around spreading half-assed lies about slugs deserve swift punishment!

You know, it's been quite some time since we had a good old "Komaru doesn't know what the gently caress", but Kotoko sure delivers.

I mean, I am reaaally good at "physical education" though...

Is that... Is that even a subject you can be good at?
There are no girls who dislike health and physical education!
...That's my theory, anyway.

Wh-What?
Truth Is, I'm actually here to hunt you down... Buuut, I changed my mind. I'll let you escape.
...What?
It's not like my feelings about Demons have changed any. I still hate them deeply. I still wanna kill them all in the most painful, cruel way possible.
Like, for example, drowning them in a septic tank, or putting a razor under their fingernails. But that's not even enough. I hate them with full power.
But anywhooo, despite my hatred, the reason I let you escape was because...
...You are suuuper adorbs!
...Huh?
I looove adorable things! I collect everything adorbs, from faucets to toilet seats!
So, I'm gonna let an adorable girl like you go.
R-Really?

...What?
But shhh! Keep it a secret, especially from the Sage, Nagisa. He's super strict with rules!
Nagisa says I can't even drink soda during meals! It's not my fault the food is so tasteless! I mean, he could at least let me have a little... Tells me to drink milk, even if I'm eating cereal! It's like drinking curry soup with your curry.
Ah... Um...
Anyway, let's go! Go on, get out before those chumps notice!
B-But I can't be the only one to go... I can't just abandon all the people here...
Oh? Something wrong? Is your red flower blooming? Or maybe you just like locked rooms? Like, you're a murder mystery enthusiast?
I can't...just leave Toko behind...
Well, I can understand a little hesitation... Why don't you just leave the cell for now?
C'mon, just step on out. Girls are more adorable if they're a teeensy bit selfish.

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

The smooth shaft! The fresh pink color! The brutal yet hypnotizing shine!
Kyaha, it's so adorbs I just can't stand it!
Ah, by the way, my dad was a dentist. And also, Papa was always cheating with his dental assistant. But I guess he had an inferiority complex 'cause he always role-played as a brain surgeon. Yes, a great daddy indeed... Neglecting his business and making me earn money instead...
A perfect Papa who I could kill over and over and over and it still wouldn't have been enough...

Oooh! Your sleepy face is suuuper adorbs!
I bet your face is cute even halfway through swimming a stroke!
Ah, however...
Being adorbs isn't always a good thing. Cute girls go through terrible things... And if you're adorable too, you have to protect yourself. On your own. If you can't, you have to take whatever they give you. It's a lovely rule, but I didn't make it. Adults did.
...So be prepared for that life.

W-Was someone just...talking about me? Ah... Ha...
...Achooo!

♪ BGM: Monster That Shouts Its Love in the Middle of Hell

I wonder what he's doing while he's calling my name... Jeez, Master's such a perv!
I can't just stay put here! I gotta get out of here and...help Master out!
Kyeeehahaha!

Jack doesn't think much of walls.

Hey, Dekomaru! Let's go see Master now!

If you are of use to me, I'll buy you ramen! I'll even add seaweed for you as a...

...top- eh?
Hey, she ain't here! Now that's committing to a joke! Kyeeehahaha!

Strange though... her scent's still here... did she perhaps run away on her own?

Is that like a GPS for Dekomaru's wristband? I see... this'll be good for tailing her!

Aaaaaanyway, you want me to chase after her, don'tcha?

Buuuuuut... why are you giving this splendid gift to an enemy like me?

Is it perhaps that the other me has some annoying plan hidden up her sleeve, huh? Well, doesn't matter, our goal is probably the same anyway.

Kyeeeehahahahaha!

These kids play with corpses on the regular, and even they think this poo poo's fuckin' weird. Anyway, that'll be enough for now - short update this time. Next time, we might actually finish the whole chapter! Oh, and we'll also get to the part that makes everybody want to nuke this game. That'll be fun.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

TheMcD posted:

These kids play with corpses on the regular, and even they think this poo poo's fuckin' weird. Anyway, that'll be enough for now - short update this time. Next time, we might actually finish the whole chapter! Oh, and we'll also get to the part that makes everybody want to nuke this game. That'll be fun.

I'd like to nuke this game right now, actually, for the casual sexualization of teenagers and prepubescent children... I really hope nobody is trying to view this at work.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How can anyone follow anything the Warriors of Hope say? They just ramble on about nonsense or references. I can understand why Komaru doesn't know what the gently caress most of the time.

That being said...

I already hated this with Mikan. Why did you have to do this gag again? :argh:

TheMcD posted:

Oh, and we'll also get to the part that makes everybody want to nuke this game. That'll be fun.

Can we just skip to Chapter 4? :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 19, 2018

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Forced genocider jack timed segment?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

Forced genocider jack timed segment?

I mean, yes (and I'm officially calling "not spoiler" on that, anybody who can't put together "Komaru was captured by Kotoko" and "Genocider is chasing after her" and come up with "this will involve a Genocider segment" hasn't been paying attention), but that's not the problem. Hell, the Genocider segments are fun! I just don't like using Genocider during regular gameplay because I miss out on Nice Shots, but during dedicated segments, there were never Nice Shots to miss out on, so it's just slashing up a bunch of robots. And it's not like I didn't just buy a fuckton of Genocider upgrades while going "HINT HINT" so hard I could have put up a neon sign.

No, the problem is something else, and you'll see tomorrow what it is.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Can we just skip to Chapter 4? :negative:

Nope. For one, I've already finished the update. And besides, when I started work on this LP, Leal told me to show off this particular part or else I would be a coward, and I'm not a coward. So basically, what I'm saying is yell at Leal about this, it's their fault you're going to get to see it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

In other "that'll be fun" news, I've recorded about one and a half hours of Chapter 4, but it was constantly stuttering, because apparently this next area is more resource intensive, and my recording struggled to maintain 60 FPS at 720p. So I'll basically have to redo it and hope that 720p at 30 FPS is doable for my computer. That'll be fun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never played this game, I just pieced it together.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ugh, Kotoko is going to do something messed up to Komaru before Genocider busts in to save her, isn't she?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, so this one is the part everybody wants to nuke the game for. It involves Kotoko, so you can probably imagine what flavor of potentially objectionable content will follow. Reader discretion is advised. I guess I would also consider this an official :nws: warning.

As an aside, there are a few things in this update that I could comment on, but won't for reasons of "not touching that". Keep that in mind if my commentary seems a bit flat to the point of willful obliviousness in places.

I even put in an extra image of a loading screen since the very first shot basically already tells you most of what you need to know.

See?

P-Please, no! Please, stop!
Nooope! Not gonna happen! Switch on!

Boop.

♪ BGM: Absolute Delusional Girl

C'mon, c'mon, c'mooon! Let me hear that adorable voice!

You can fight away the tentacles with the Left mouse button.

Letting Komaru get groped increases the heart meter. You know what that represents, right? If it fills all the way, it's game over... So enjoy yourself, but y'know... Keep that in mind.

Alright, so this isn't too tough a minigame. It's just a whole bunch of "move up and down, locate hands, slap hands". Fun fact - the video I posted above is actually from the second run of this chapter, because during the original run I messed up the recording. I play this game in a window, you see, and have OBS open in the background to see if it says something about the recording having problems or something. So in an attempt to slap a hand at the end of the minigame, I instead overshot, went right out the window and into OBS, where I then proceeded to change scenes, meaning the screen for the recording just went straight black, and because I didn't know how OBS worked (I don't stream or anything, I just use it to record and thus don't really know of most of its capabilities and options), I had no idea if I just completely hosed something up beyond repair or if I just had to change back (turns out it was the latter). Fun stuff.

Anyway, this isn't too hard, and it gets cleared without a single heart ever filling up. I suppose the difficulty selection either doesn't affect this part, or it's *really* easy.

You're going to be slowly but surely "motivated"!
P-Please... Enough already!
Ooo, you're sooo sexy! I've heard women are the best just before they're ripe, but this is beyond my expectations!
But when they rot, they become Demons... I have to figure out the perfect timing...
Stop it... Why are you doing this?
That's what I always asked. I asked them many, many times.
The answer was always "because I'm cute"!
I'm not a bad girl. This is just payback for what happened to me. If you think this is wrong, then what the adults did to me is wrong too, right? And if that's the way it is, there's nothing you can do about it...

Boop.

Ufufu, put that lewd body of yours to work and you'll never go hungry! By the way! This is the opposite of child porn, so it's A-OK to put in a video game! No problem!
*What* isn't a proble-- Ah!
Is it wrong for a kid to be doing this? But it's wrong for adults to be doing this, too, right? Both are no good! If you're slapped on the right cheek, slap them on the left as they say.
No, nooo!

Meanwhile, a manhole.

♪ BGM: Fever Time

A manhole that contains a serial killer.

And she sticks the landing.

Huh?

Is this GPS broken or what? It's going like 35 miles an hour!

Why is it so fast? Is the earth spinning away without me?

She seems to be getting an idea.

BINGOOOOO!

I see, so that's it. Oh, monorails are a first for me. Totally pumps me...

...UP!

♪ BGM: Departing From TOWA Towards Hell

Jack has no concern for this "gravity" or "physics" poo poo.

So the next segment is a Genocide Jack segment, which is the reason I bought all those upgrades. The upgrades make this so much easier - it's just a bunch of using the charged regular attack, this spinning drill attack.

It cares not for shields or anything like that, it'll just tear through enemies with ease. Genocide Jack OP plz nerf.

Even Junk Monokumas can't compare to the power of the drill.

After fighting through several train cars, we make our way to a swanky looking door, and a single Bomber isn't going to stand in our way.

Jack also has no concern for this "locked doors" poo poo.

The explosion then sends Kotoko flying.

T-Toko!?
Oh my, my, am I interrupting something?
No, it's not like that! Please, save me!
I will not let you.

Adorable girls deserve punishment...

...and girls who aren't adorable deserve even harsher punishment!

Hey! I ain't ugly...

...I'm just way below average!

You're plenty ugly enough!

♪ BGM: Departing From TOWA Towards Hell

Alright, it's time for a, er, boss fight of sorts, I guess.

Kotoko shoots dentures in our general direction, and when they hit Jack, they get stuck on her, costing us a few seconds - since we're in a Genocide Jack segment, we don't have any health, just a time limit.

Much like with the enemies beforehand, the drill is our friend - one shot from the drill advances the fight.

Kotoko just switches sides, doesn't really change up her pattern or anything.

One more side switch...

...and one more drill and it's over.

Oh my! Shooting blanks, are we?
Then again, you were never "loaded" in the first place! Kyehahaha!
H-How vulgar!
Hey, don't make that face! Or else you'll end up in a far more "vulgar" situation...

Suddenly, explosion!

...Ororo?

Turns out the loving monorail derailed and just straight crashed into a building.

Ugh...
Whoa there, you better stay put! If you don't, my hand might slip and then I go snip snip snip!

I thought...you wouldn't come... I mean, right after we had that fight...
Fight? What the hell are you talking about? I just want to save Master Byaku--

♪ BGM: This Is the Path We Follow

Waaah! Toko, I was so scared!
Kyaaa! What's this, unexpected girl on girl development!?
Whoa there lady, I ain't got that kind of taste! Get off me!
I'm sorry! I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... I...I tried to leave you... I tried to run away... And I said such horrible things, like that "you don't have any friends"... I'm sorry! I'm truly sorry, Toko!
... ...I have no right to accept that apology.
Huh?
You seriously are stupid! Why the hell are you trusting a serial killer!?
...What? What happened?
Nothing, nooothing at all!
Satisfaction!

Wh-Wh-What is going on here?
Um, let's just go for now... It would be a hassle to explain...
Y-Yeah, okay... I don't really get it, but I definitely don't want to be down here anymore.

Alright, now we have control of Komaru again.

Nothing much for us to get here apart from this collectible.

You know, I've been thinking about what exactly the difference between Jataro's random non-sequiturs and Kotoko's tangents is, and I guess it's that in Kotoko's case, the tangents just have a slight bit of relation to what she was talking about before, whereas with Jataro it's just loving anything goes.

Our way forward lies behind this door, which leads us to...

♪ BGM: DSO_Weekly Despair Magazine

...another arena!

I feel furiously angry. You have seriously made me mad.
...Your face doesn't really match up with what you're saying...
This is acting, after all. Inside my heart, I can't help but feel unlucky.
Speaking of unlucky, you really should have let me "motivate" you a little more.
You could have felt sooo good, your mind would have been blown! You'd become so twisted...
I don't want that to happen!
Oh? You're going to abandon the responsibility of being adorbs? That's not fair! Being adorbs means being an object of jealousy, being called "Ugly Bitch" or told to die.
If that doesn't happen...being adorbs just isn't worth it.
I think what you're describing is called "undue resentment"...
And another thing, Omaru is not as cute as you say she is! She's like, slightly above average!
...I'll take that.
Undue resentment? No, no, no, this is the work of Demons. All I wanted was to be the same as everyone else. A normal kid who didn't stand out.
But she used me to get *her* dream, even if it meant going to "market" with me... ...Well, the guys who wanted that are to blame too... Business with a mother and daughter set? How perverted can adults be!?
Oh, my mistake. I meant "Demons," not adults.
Seriously, I'm so ashamed of myself for actually listening to what those ugly Demons used to say...
But everything's changed now. As someone who knows what makes adults happy, I also know the things they don't want.
Using what I've learned, I can take down the Demons and make them suffer as much as I did!
N-Not all adults are like that! There are good people who--

♪ BGM: DSO_Ocean Breeze Dead End

...If the world is so good...why didn't anyone help me escape!?
...Welp, doesn't matter. What I said just now, that wasn't how I really feel. That was acting. Just leave it to the former child acting genius, and a perfect performance is easy as cake!
Hmph...
And also, I've been saved by Big Sis Junko anyway.
Th-That name again!? I'm sick of hearing that name!
Oh? Does Miss Ugly Glasses over there happen to knooow Big Sis Junko?
Miss Ugly Glasses!?
Y-You guys have no idea... You don't know how horrifying that woman really is...

UH OH.

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

...Huh?
Wh-When they're...gentle, I... I get all flinchy... N-No! *sob* I don't want gentle, I don't... Please stop...*sob* A-Anything but gentle! *sob* Please, no, stop with the gentle! *sob*
Wh-What happened to her?
This...doesn't look like acting.
No, I don't want gentle! I don't want any more gentle!

I... I said I...

...anything but gentle... I said... DON'T EVER SAY GENTLE!

Komaru and Toko still have no idea what the gently caress is happening right now.

I beg you, I beg you, no more... ANYTHING BUT GENTLE!

♪ BGM: Sortie! Its Name Is Robot

*sob* Don't say you'll be gentle... *sob* ...please, just hurt me instead... If you use it... *sob* gentle... *sob* please be gentle with me... *sob* but... PLEASE KILL ME INSTEAD!

Well, it's time for a boss fight.

♪ BGM: The Warriors Of Hope

OK, so much like Jataro's robot, this one revolves around taking advantage of the Truth Bullet you obtained in this chapter, in this case, Paralyze.

Basically, the robot will try and pursue you and chop the poo poo out of you with that axe, and at some point, it'll get stuck.

Then, you shoot a Monokuma that's in the water with Paralyze.

And then you can shoot the weak spot.

From then on, it's just a matter of repeating. The boss gains different attacks, though they're just variants on "smack you with a big axe" and the solution to all is "get the gently caress out of the way".

At some point, the Monokumas that you need to use Paralyze on get turned into Guards, which adds another step to the process, since you need to blast the shields away with Knockback first.

Eventually, the core opens up, like with the other bosses, and eventually we win.

♪ BGM: Punishment Of The Fighter

The robot blows up, like with the others...

...and just like with the others, the Monokuma kids show up, ready to deal out their punishment.

But then...

...interference!

Kotoko gets knocked out of the way...

...and is sent rolling to Komaru.

She is still not quite sure what exactly just happened.

N-Nagisa!

All we want is a peaceful paradise... Where children can live without fear.
Don't make me laugh! You've been using those Monokumas this whole time to murder adults!
She's right... If all you wanted was a peaceful paradise, you shouldn't have done it like this!
There is no other choice. We must kill them. If we allow them to live, our paradise will be undone. And if that happens, we will be forced to endure our pain once more. Nothing will change. We can never be at peace until we have wiped out every single one of them.
So we have to kill the Demons! To protect our world!
That sounds like something from a drat video game! Have you lost your mind, kid!?
Yeah, you're probably right... We've all gone mad. Masaru, Jataro, Kotoko, Monaca... We're probably all insane...broken.
But whose fault is that!? The adults are the ones who broke us!
Nagisa...

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

You want to hear the truth? ...We're scared. We're all terrified of the adults... Hearing their footsteps... Sensing their presence... We can't help but feel scared... Completely terrified. As long as adults exist, we cannot rest... We cannot live in peace. At this point, the damage is irreversible.
I-I figured...that something like that was behind all of this. And I do pity you.
But... No matter how pitiful you are, it doesn't mean that you can hurt others! To just treat them how they treated you... That's just going to make everyone equally miserable!
So you're saying we should just take it? You're saying we should abandon all hope?
...H-Hope?
No, it's fine. Let's end this already.

♪ BGM: DSO_New World Order

...Huh?
You want to run away, right? You want to escape the city, right? Then I will let you leave. Satisfied?
...Nagisa, are you sure?
It's my decision...as leader.
But...what about Monaca?
...I'll persuade her.
H-Hold on, are you seriously saying you're just gonna let her go!?
Until you two arrived, our revolution was progressing smoothly. I don't want you to interfere any longer.
So please, just get out of here! Stay away from us, please!

Well, that's certainly a development.

Meanwhile...

Yaaay! Monaca's very own, special-made, magic circle.

Well, of course. Everything Is going swimmingly.

Everything is all thanks to my wonderful allies playing their part and doing their best.
Looks like time's windin' down. Just a little bit longer and we'll have a brand-new "Successor" on our hands!

Hahahaha!

And thus, Monaca's plan is revealed. She wants to build herself a new Junko.

And that's the chapter! This time around I got a perfect on Hidden Kids and Monoku-Man, but missed some collectibles.

...Hm? Why the surprised expression? You idiot... You're the only one I trust. Don't you know that by now?

As a result, we get the usual 500 Monocoins and a skill as well. I haven't checked what it does yet, but since Raise gives us more money, Reraise will probably do the same. So that's very cool.

♪ BGM: Chapter End

And that's the update. Next time, we'll find the stuff I missed in this run of the chapter, and then it's on to Chapter 4.

I would also like to take this moment to say that this is the definite low part of the game. Like it's been said in the thread before - if you can make it through this, the rest of the game isn't this bad, and in fact, I would say that the game really picks up from here - Chapters 4 and 5, in my opinion, are the best of the game, and there's some real highlights coming up. So while I don't want to come off as if I'm saying "oh, don't worry, it gets better later"... I'm totally saying "it gets better later". Yeah, sorry, I got nothing to dress this up with and make it not sound like "it gets better later", because that's totally what it is.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ah, I've missed this "I'm going to jail" feeling.

Wait. Actually, I extremely haven't.

I'm a big fan of how the game keeps implicitly saying "wow, isn't this hosed up?!" so as to effectively disclaim itself from objections to its objectionable content.

Wait. Actually, I'm extremely not.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 20, 2018

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

This is the absolute-no-good-this-game-is-the-worst-series-ruining moment that everyone has been building up to?

Maybe I've just been too corrupted by the internet, or I'm too jaded, or cynical, or something like that, but I'm not really feeling the impact here. Don't get me wrong, that was a terrible moment to just haphazardly toss into a game for the sake of shock value, but at the same time I have definitely seen worse from video games.

Is this something that outsiders of the Danganronpa franchise just don't feel the true weight of? I don't see how this one bad moment would sink the entire game in people's eyes. Especially the series that routinely kills off people and kids in gruesome ways.

Also, the sympathy meter for these kids is still sitting around the 0 to 1 mark on the scale. "People didn't help me with my specific hellish suffering, therefore the entire world is horrible and all adults are the same" isn't winning me over to anyone's side. I was worried that Jack/Toko was about to make some stupid sympathy speech when she saved her. Turns out it was just an interrogation opportunity, though.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 20, 2018

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I do look forward to things only going up, at least.

To comment on anything other than the minigame, I was thinking on Genocider's fight with Denture-Shooting-Gungirl was a nice refresher from the usual robot fight. But then the robot fight happened anyway and so nevermind that.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

You really didn't need the upgrades for Genocider, I didn't buy any of them until I had all of the Bling Bullets and I barley noticed the difference after.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Psycho Knight posted:

This is the absolute-no-good-this-game-is-the-worst-series-ruining moment that everyone has been building up to?

Maybe I've just been too corrupted by the internet, or I'm too jaded, or cynical, or something like that, but I'm not really feeling the impact here. Don't get me wrong, that was a terrible moment to just haphazardly toss into a game for the sake of shock value, but at the same time I have definitely seen worse from video games.

Is this something that outsiders of the Danganronpa franchise just don't feel the true weight of? I don't see how this one bad moment would sink the entire game in people's eyes. Especially the series that routinely kills off people and kids in gruesome ways.

I might be speaking too much from a personal perspective here, though I do have the apparently fairly unique perspective of "person that actually liked UDG". Whenever I brought up that I liked UDG in some sort of online conversation and somebody gave me poo poo for it, "the molestation scene" was pretty much a permanent fixture in the reasons why people thought the game was A) bad, B) the worst in the series or C) a game that should not have existed.

The gameplay came up less commonly, which is odd given that this is a visual-novel-puzzle-like series that morphed into a kind of mediocre third person shooter that you had to play with the loving Vita analog sticks before the PC port came out, which was a loving pain in the rear end, let me tell you (and I still love the game despite having beaten it on the Vita).

But yeah, this is the reason, at least from my experience, that everybody hates the game for.

TheKirbs posted:

You really didn't need the upgrades for Genocider, I didn't buy any of them until I had all of the Bling Bullets and I barley noticed the difference after.

I kind of figured that, since the time limit is extremely generous and so far the game doesn't exactly seem to be piling on the difficulty, but whatever, I had the cash to spend anyway.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

TheMcD posted:

I might be speaking too much from a personal perspective here, though I do have the apparently fairly unique perspective of "person that actually liked UDG". Whenever I brought up that I liked UDG in some sort of online conversation and somebody gave me poo poo for it, "the molestation scene" was pretty much a permanent fixture in the reasons why people thought the game was A) bad, B) the worst in the series or C) a game that should not have existed.

The gameplay came up less commonly, which is odd given that this is a visual-novel-puzzle-like series that morphed into a kind of mediocre third person shooter that you had to play with the loving Vita analog sticks before the PC port came out, which was a loving pain in the rear end, let me tell you (and I still love the game despite having beaten it on the Vita).

But yeah, this is the reason, at least from my experience, that everybody hates the game for.

That is weird. From what I've seen, the gameplay itself doesn't look bad. It looks like a pretty good game overall. I can sort of understand where fans would be coming from in terms of the weird out-of-nowhere genre change, but that one moment is by no means a reason to hate this game or think less of it. Plenty of good games have really uncomfortable, cringe inducing, or creepy scenes. This one, to me, just seems like an outlier. It doesn't even last that long. It's not like we were forced to sit through multiple electro torture segments like in MGS (or the very drawn out scene in Ground Zeroes that I assume everyone who has played that game knows what I'm talking about).

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Psycho Knight posted:

It has less to do with the things that actually happen in this scene, and more to do with the execution of them and the treatment of the subject matter. Are these scenes as bad as they could have been? No, of course not. But it is deeply troubling to have a victim of traumatic abuse be the center of a pantyslip gag... or even to take part in similar abuse with someone else. Yes, a big theme of this game is how abuse breaks people and leads to further abuse down the line, but this specific portrayal of it is too... recidivist and intrusive. It either pretends to be a serious take of a serious subject, and exists concurrently with elements meant to be silly/blackly humorous, or it is meant to itself be blacky humorous entirely, which becomes even more reprehensible when one considers there's a minigame involved. (To head the obvious argument off: no, it it not enough that the point of the minigame is to stop Komaru from being molested, because the very inclusion of such a minigame makes the player complicit in the abuse even when not failing. And this is ignoring the wording of the rules. "Enjoy yourself"... go gently caress yourself, game.)

As Fedule said above, it's an example of a game trying to have its cake and eat it too- to be against sexualization and abuse and then to indulge in it and make the player indulge too. Again, the question we asked in DR 2 and the DR anime must be asked: should a thing that is meant to be gross and uncomfortable and rejected by the author be so in our faces that we become sickened, and at what point does it become exploitation of the thing it is ostensibly against? A lot of people quit the game at this point, and I don't blame them; I'll probably never willingly pay money for this game myself. It is the nadir of the series, as far as I'm concerned... fortunately, I cant recall any other part that is quite this bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't own this game. I only watched a Let's Play of the original Japanese game when it came out. But there's a special game over here if you fail the mini-game with Komaru. You can imagine what happens. :shepicide:

But yeah, it's a bit tone-deaf to say "Sexual assault is bad!", but then make a mini-game where the dialogue itself implies you're "busy" enjoying Komaru being put in that situation, followed up by Syo stripping a character who has sexual assault trauma naked, then making sex jokes about that AND Komaru's molestation (even though Toko said earlier she hated puns) (Oh, that part wasn't shown!), and then Kotoko falls over and exposes her underwear again because :japan:.

Was this line thrown in for the ESRB?

And here we see Monaca in her natural habitat: preparing a Satanic ritual.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 20, 2018