Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Kyoujin posted:

From a couple pages back but thanks for the info. Is the fan service in labrynth all over the place or is it more like EO were you can skip those character portraits?

It's mostly contained to the character portraits but there's a bit scattered around, especially in one dungeon in particular. There's a boss that's just a giant rear end & feet, and another that's just a demon bent over, for examples.

I absolutely would not call it the 'pinnacle of the genre' in any regard though. The story is pretty great one you get past the first 1/3 of the game or so, but the combat has absolutely 0 sense of balance or encounter design and the whole thing starts to become a slog by about 2/3 of the way through the game, if not earlier. Managing your teams gets to be tedious because the menus are all so insanely badly laid out and inconsistent with each other. Tons of mechanics are just not explained whatsoever and some stuff outright lies to you.

There's a few decent dungeons here and there, but not a lot of them are very mechanically interesting. I was really excited in the first couple of dungeons with all the neat traversal stuff they give you, but if you've played the demo you've seen almost everything interesting there is to see there. I do have to say I really like how the encounter system works in general though.

That being said, the story plus the fun parts of the game definitely make it worth it to play if you like dungeon crawlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

American McGay posted:

You clearly played about 15% of WOL before giving it the boot. I'll agree that it's definitely not the quickest way to unlock characters, but every single character is there.

Clearly I'm in second dungeon of world 2 but I dont think its ideal for a new player and certainly WAY slower to unlock certain characters than just randomly doing it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Should I get Octopath Traveler? I hear mixed things but I'm at the tail end of DQXI and have enjoyed that a lot.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh yeah, the patch for Monster Boy came out today and fixed the progression glitches, so I wrapped that up today :toot:

Overall it was very good! The game did try pretty hard to spoil my opinion of it on the back end though, what with a bad mandatory stealth section, followed by a very long and almost 100% pure puzzling section of the game. Balance wise the game was kind of odd in that areas were generally kind of dangerous but bosses were really easy, gimmicky, cycle based fights. Like, every single one is. Kind of a waste, but they're short and fast for the most part anyway. Goes without saying the game feels hella snappy to play, and everything looks and sounds gorgeous.

Ended up around 15 hours for 100% map completion and 97% item completion, so it's not sure long but it's certainly meaty enough.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

JBP posted:

Should I get Octopath Traveler? I hear mixed things but I'm at the tail end of DQXI and have enjoyed that a lot.

Yes.

Played octopath as the last rpg I finished in years. Playing xi now. Both give me...the good feelings I used to get with jrpgs.

Both have problems. Both are very very good.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 19, 2018

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I beat chapter 4 of the season journey on Diablo. Took maybe 30 hours to go from filthy ignorant peasant rolling around in the mud to crushing torment 4 rifts in gucci. Fun, fun game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

What mixed things have you heard?

I will say that for better or for worse, it's a very oldschool JRPG. If you have the patience to play SNES JRPGs then it'll feel just right, if you don't then you may want to skip it. There's random battles, lots of talking, lots of walking. That said, it's a fantastic game and the combat system is a lot of fun (but not as deep as Bravely), the story(ies) are good and the music is amazing, and I thoroughly enjoyed the heck out of it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I think how much you enjoy Octopath (assuming that you like JRPGs already) is going to depend heavily on how much you need a big overarching narrative to tie everything together. Every party members story only makes sense as a solo journey and it gives it sort of a weird tone.

I liked it overall, I just want the sequel to feel a little more lively I guess.

edit: I only finished half the stories, for the record. I guess I'll go finish the others later but I'm not really interested in the postgame

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 19, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

enojy posted:

I bought an Artorias Totaku (Sony's version of amiibo minus the NFC) in February and I guess I'm still waiting for it to come in? I should just go get my $10 back.

When I wanted one of those Totaku (just the Bloodborne one) I ended up driving out to an EB Games to get it in person. Everyone online seems to either price gouge on them to a ridiculous degree and if it's taking that long to find one I'd just use a store locator to find one in stock near you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Octopath is like getting 8 fan-made adventures to an excellent and engrossing RPG that you dont get to play. All the systems and dungeons and assets are there, but its in service to 8 short barely fleshed out stories with literally only one of 32 chapters breaking the formula and each chapter and progession being repeated 8 times.

Whatever theoretical game Octopath is based off of is a solid 9/10 or higher game but youre playing the direct to video sequel so enjoy that quality slide.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Barudak posted:

Octopath is like getting 8 fan-made adventures to an excellent and engrossing RPG that you dont get to play. All the systems and dungeons and assets are there, but its in service to 8 short barely fleshed out stories with literally only one of 32 chapters breaking the formula and each chapter and progession being repeated 8 times.

Whatever theoretical game Octopath is based off of is a solid 9/10 or higher game but youre playing the direct to video sequel so enjoy that quality slide.

Which stinks because I was really willing to dish out time and money for a good story-driven switch rpg in that pretty art style it had.

It reminds me of when I got my first real Dreamcast rpg, Evolution, and it was a flat turd.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Barudak posted:

This basically sums up the criticisms I've read about it. I'll just grab Zelda and maybe pick up Octopath later when desperate for jrpg gaming.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin

notthegoatseguy posted:

If it is anything like the 3ds, you can call Nintendo and they can walk you through a process soyou can re-download any digital games. Save files are gone. Not sure how that would work with Switch Online and cloud saves.

I figured out how to disconnect the switch from my Nintendo account. Now all I need to do is get a new one.

It sucks though, since my copy of skyrim was in there along with my memory card. They also made off with my ps4, super Nintendo classic, and my 3ds. I'm super pissed and I know I'm not likely to see those items again. Strangely, they left all my games behind except the ones in the consoles, so the police think it was teenagers that did it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Crass Casualty posted:

I figured out how to disconnect the switch from my Nintendo account. Now all I need to do is get a new one.

It sucks though, since my copy of skyrim was in there along with my memory card. They also made off with my ps4, super Nintendo classic, and my 3ds. I'm super pissed and I know I'm not likely to see those items again. Strangely, they left all my games behind except the ones in the consoles, so the police think it was teenagers that did it.

drat, that really sucks poo poo. I hope you can somehow get your stuff back.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any reason not to do a family online account and have friends pitch in like $5 to be added

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Any reason not to do a family online account and have friends pitch in like $5 to be added

Nope.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Bombadilillo posted:

Clearly I'm in second dungeon of world 2 but I dont think its ideal for a new player and certainly WAY slower to unlock certain characters than just randomly doing it.

This is true but it's worth clarifying that you will get the unlocks if you back out of adventure mode every 10 minutes or so, and anyone you unlock in adventure mode carries into the other modes too, so it's not a loss to dabble in it as long as you remember to go to the main menu every few fights.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/ynakamura56/status/1075261285254615040
The lizards aren't pleased.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I don't get the correlation between stock prices and them reaching their sales goal, especially when it looks like they're on track?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, when's the last time we've heard a Japanese video game company look at the sales for a major product and go 'hmm, that actually did pretty ok?'

Like, we're almost a decade into comedy news stories about how X publisher is saddened that this game that did 3-5 million in sales didn't do literally Call of Duty/Super Mario levels of sales. The Switch can be on the hottest goddamn streak but that just means the expectations for it are to be at a 1:1 attach rate for all current and future people of the earth.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Barudak posted:

Playing it has made me realise that part of why I liked old JRPGs was because of the large story taking place for our team of heroes and my motivation for playing through them was the story rather than some love for tedious game mechanics.

What you've said is exactly the reason I've barely progressed through chapter 2 despite getting it at launch. These short stories are just dull.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The people chipping in won't be able to order NES controllers, but that's it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't get the correlation between stock prices and them reaching their sales goal, especially when it looks like they're on track?

The only investors looking at the games are armchair nerd investors who think a title has anything to do with someone speculating on the five to ten year success of their investment.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The stock market is very childlike in its behavior. If you don’t make the numbers the analysts want, they get mad and downgrade your stock. “We thought you’d make 11 jillion this quarter and you only made 10! Boo!”

It doesn’t matter if you said 10 or if you deliver 12. It’s not in line with expectations.

In other news I cannot stop thinking about that GameCube JoyCon mock-up. I’d go buy one in a heartbeat if they offered one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dooooooooommmmmmmmeeeeedddddd

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

This basically sums up the criticisms I've read about it. I'll just grab Zelda and maybe pick up Octopath later when desperate for jrpg gaming.

If you haven't played it Tales of Vesperia is out on Switch in a few weeks and that game is excellent.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Octopath Traveler doesn't have the standard JRPG story but I don't think it's fair to call the stories bad. I like some of them more than others but I still think in general they were fun, even if their scope isn't very big. :shobon:

Just don't go in expecting a bombastic 'kill the gods' story, y'know? It bothers me how many people were disappointed about that because in all of the marketing and everything they made it very clear that this was eight characters with eight different stories, yet people convinced themselves that it was going to be a typical overarching JRPG story

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think people were more disappointed that there's very little party interaction at all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean, that's only really true for the first chapters of each character (for some weird reason) and after that there's skits with everyone in each chapter of each story, and a lot of them are really sweet. That said I wish there was more as well.

The biggest issue I have with Octopath is that there's essentially no QOL at all, which feels extra bad in a post-Bravely world.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

While I like the little stories (and they do seem to be building up to a unified narrative) the game needed a few more balance passes before I can call it a triumph of gameplay.

-If I'm supposed to use all 8 characters, why don't people on the bench get XP?
-People have way more HP to the point where every boss fight becomes MP consumable hell
-No don't make me run back after I beat the boss to look at poo poo in Dungeon Full of Random Encounters, especially when I had to leave the dungeon to unequip jobs so I could cheese build Tressa as a provoke tank.

Just finished Cyrus' chapter, but I've done all the chapter 3s. I'm guessing the savior from Ophilia's chapter is serving whatever is beyond the gate from Cyrus' necromancy studies? If I had to guess the Dragonstones are involved somehow, but the more I think about it the less the other stories weave in. Oh well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

So why exactly does this matter to general audiences? Is this actually something relevant to them, or just something that should be left to the business side of things?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Items are not a cheat button in Octopath, there are builds centered on using them. Dohters Charity is a terribly useful skill.

Edit: stocks generally, and tech stocks in particular are doing poorly right now. This December is tracking as the worst December for market losses since 1931 or some poo poo

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 19, 2018

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dr. Fetus posted:

So why exactly does this matter to general audiences? Is this actually something relevant to them, or just something that should be left to the business side of things?

Some companies listen to shareholders more closely than their customers, so it can matter to people who aren't interested about stock prices. That said, Nintendo aren't EA or Activision who will put gambling mechanics and microtransactions to their premium games to please analysts and investor banks, but there's probably pressure for it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
What's everyone's preferred stand for their Switch? There's the Hori one, the Amazon knockoff of the Hori one, the official Nintendo one, I've seen one made of metal that also looked kind of precarious, I'm not sure what to get.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm just thankful Nintendo did such a terrible job marketing the WiiU because when my house was burgled three years ago they took the Gamepad but didn't actually take the console

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'm just thankful Nintendo did such a terrible job marketing the WiiU because when my house was burgled three years ago they took the Gamepad but didn't actually take the console

So did you end up stealing a Gamepad from someone else or did they ever come out with a way to replace those?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just got off a 16 hour flight. Beat Smash with the true ending (with joycons :smug:) then tried out a new little game called Dead Cells. Oh yes, that helped pass the time.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What's everyone's preferred stand for their Switch? There's the Hori one, the Amazon knockoff of the Hori one, the official Nintendo one, I've seen one made of metal that also looked kind of precarious, I'm not sure what to get.

I use the Wii U stand. I use that and for everything. Holding the Switch next to my bed and on my computer desk, holding my phone behind the sink so I can watch stuff while I work in the kitchen, I could keep going but you get the idea. It's a handy little stand and I didn't have to buy something that would become clutter in a few years.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

poonchasta posted:

So did you end up stealing a Gamepad from someone else or did they ever come out with a way to replace those?

You could call them for a replacement in the event of theft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The Amazon stand is perfectly adequate. Looking at the official licensed ones in stores, I can't really tell much of a difference between it and the licensed one.