Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
like y'all nelly has more good songs than nas but i'm not out here saying air force ones deserves a grammy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Teemu Pokemon posted:

like y'all nelly has more good songs than nas but i'm not out here saying air force ones deserves a grammy

You seem to be using great singles as a substitute for great songs. A great album probably has more good songs than most artists with a lot of hits. Illmatic alone has 9 of them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would rather listen to Bernie Williams noodling than most Taylor Swift songs, am I the bad one?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

You seem to be using great singles as a substitute for great songs. A great album probably has more good songs than most artists with a lot of hits. Illmatic alone has 9 of them.

nas is one of the dopest lyricists of all time and he's also never heard a poo poo beat he didn't love

e: i know this is hard to believe but nearly every time a song is chosen as a single it's because it's one of the good ones

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 14, 2018

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this bores me
anyone up for a game of basketball

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/BrkmstrCylinder/status/1073713023703896064?s=19

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

My favorite band is Primus so I really wouldn't blink.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Taylor Swift is cool and good. We met at a party, we talked about the Lions. Cool and good.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Taylor Swift is my wife.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Had the pleasure of meeting Taylor Swift at a charity do once. She was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My sister was a huge taylor swift fan before she really blew up to the point they were Myspace friends so I feel like I'm defending my little sister's best friend's honor

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

Had the pleasure of meeting Taylor Swift at a charity do once. She was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

I appreciate this

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Taylor Swift is the best person.

But does she have two NBA jerseys dedicated to her?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AsInHowe posted:

Wait until Westbrook retires.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

AsInHowe posted:

Not right now but the Beno Udrih/Lou Amundson combo back in 2014-15

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Taylor Swift tried to sick her fingers down my throat

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Troy Queef posted:

I had to check if this was true

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

General Dog posted:

Taylor Swift tried to sick her fingers down my throat

:yikes:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I have to admit I didn't expect a surprisingly animated Taylor Swift derail in the sports journalism thread.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Congrats to Deadspin for finally finding someone not named Billy Haisley to write about the state of US soccer

He even managed to do it in less than a billion words!

E: vvvv lol

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 17, 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
He was probably too busy writing a single sentence about Messi and Suarez

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hell of a story on Athletic about Mike Piazza's failed run as a 3rd tier Italian soccer team owner. His wife sounds delightful.

quote:

“Who the gently caress ever heard of Reggio Emilia?” she asked. “It’s not Venice. It’s not Rome. My girlfriend said, and you can quote this—and this really depressed me. She said, ‘Honey, you bought into Pittsburgh.’ Like, it wasn’t the New York Yankees. It wasn’t the Mets. It wasn’t the Dodgers. You bought Pittsburgh!”

In their Miami living room, Mike tried to interject but she stopped him.

“And imagine what that feels like, after spending 10 million euros. You bought Pittsburgh!”

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

quote:

“This interview’s going to be wet,” Mike said soon after I arrived. He stepped toward a bar in the living room and smiled. “I hope that’s okay with you.”

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That's maybe my favorite sports article of the year. Great stuff all around, love basically every single quote from Piazza's wife

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"you bought Pittsburgh!!" is such a loving phenomenal burn god drat

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

But because Deadspin can't have nice things, they also wrote this

Long story short: for next year, MLS is changing its playoff format. Gone are the mixed-format rounds where the first round is a one-game "play in", the conference semis and finals are two legs, and the final is a one-off. Gone is the forced FIFA break right smack in the middle of the playoffs because of the re-arranging of the playoff schedule.

In is the whole thing being one format. There's just one game per round, with the team with the better regular season record hosting. In is the whole thing being done before the November FIFA break. In is only each regular season conference champion getting a first round bye. Every change is being made with the idea that teams will value the season more.

According to this chucklefuck (Luis Paez-Pumar) who I've never heard of before he wrote this article, all of the playoff changes are bad and a sign that MLS is desperate and flailing for relevance

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 19, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

But because Deadspin can't have nice things, they also wrote this

Long story short: for next year, MLS is changing its playoff format. Gone are the mixed-format rounds where the first round is a one-game "play in", the conference semis and finals are two legs, and the final is a one-off. Gone is the forced FIFA break right smack in the middle of the playoffs because of the re-arranging of the playoff schedule.

In is the whole thing being one format. There's just one game per round, with the team with the better regular season record hosting. In is the whole thing being done before the November FIFA break. In is only each regular season conference champion getting a first round bye. Every change is being made with the idea that teams will value the season more.

According to this chucklefuck (Luis Paez-Pumar) who I've never heard of before he wrote this article, all of the playoff changes are bad and a sign that MLS is desperate and flailing for relevance

Isn't MLS at it's healthiest ever right now?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Uh Atlanta just filled their giant shiny new stadium to watch their team win the MLS Cup, they are doing just fine

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ElwoodCuse posted:

Uh Atlanta just filled their giant shiny new stadium to watch their team win the MLS Cup, they are doing just fine

Atlanta was a big fan of slavery too, but that wasn’t enough to save it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that playoff format is dumb but MLS as a league has been doing fairly well in TV and popularity lately.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lmao at US soccer changing the league names to match England’s nonsense though

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't understand the move....it seems like a move you would make to increase parity but 6 different teams have won the MLS Cup the last 6 years soooooo....I don't get it. And 2 leg aggregate series give each team a home game, which is cool.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

theres a team called real salt lake

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Mahoning posted:

I don't understand the move....it seems like a move you would make to increase parity but 6 different teams have won the MLS Cup the last 6 years soooooo....I don't get it. And 2 leg aggregate series give each team a home game, which is cool.

The major benefit is getting the entire playoff done between the October and November international windows. Currently 2/3rds the playoff is completed, then a two week break happens, for internationals, and the remainder is completed. Edges in December which is insane.

The drawback is revenue for the team that loses its home leg, but this is done with the sport in mind over revenue, which is a shockingly good idea.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The sheer amount of cargo cult fandom in MLS is astounding and one of the biggest reasons I haven't even tried to really care (my general antipathy for soccer doesn't help but New Yorkers calling the games between NYCFC and Red Bulls a "darby" drives me up the loving wall.)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

The sheer amount of cargo cult fandom in MLS is astounding and one of the biggest reasons I haven't even tried to really care (my general antipathy for soccer doesn't help but New Yorkers calling the games between NYCFC and Red Bulls a "darby" drives me up the loving wall.)

Yeah darby is kind of my biggest pet peeve with American soccer fans. Like, it's not a different word....it's literally the word derby...just like the Kentucky one with horses and poo poo. Just because the Brits pronounce it differently doesn't mean you should change your pronunciation of it. I'm even largely ok with using terms like "table", "fixture", "kit", and "pitch" instead of standings, schedule, uniform/jersey, and field even if I don't use those all the time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mahoning posted:

Yeah darby is kind of my biggest pet peeve with American soccer fans. Like, it's not a different word....it's literally the word derby...just like the Kentucky one with horses and poo poo. Just because the Brits pronounce it differently doesn't mean you should change your pronunciation of it. I'm even largely ok with using terms like "table", "fixture", "kit", and "pitch" instead of standings, schedule, uniform/jersey, and field even if I don't use those all the time.

I don't think I've ever heard fixture before, but yeah the rest is fine, especially since "table" in that context already exists in American sports. It's also not necessarily the use of the vocabulary you cited, but the insistence that if you don't use them, you're a filthy casual.

There is also a history of NYCFC supporters groups clashing with the team ownership, stadium staff, and NYPD over stuff like smoke bombs and and they always go "This is how soccer fans do it!" and cite (almost solely) English fans and it's just like...this isn't England, come up with something new.

EDIT: To be fair the responses to things from ownership/staff/NYPD haven't exactly been great either.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 19, 2018

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Inspector_666 posted:

In Detroit, we have the same thing, but for a fifth-division semi-pro team that doesn't actually play in the city of Detroit. It's the weirdest loving thing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't think I've ever heard fixture before, but yeah the rest is fine, especially since "table" in that context already exists in American sports. It's also not necessarily the use of the vocabulary you cited, but the insistence that if you don't use them, you're a filthy casual.

There is also a history of NYCFC supporters groups clashing with the team ownership, stadium staff, and NYPD over stuff like smoke bombs and and they always go "This is how soccer fans do it!" and cite (almost solely) English fans and it's just like...this isn't England, come up with something new.

EDIT: To be fair the responses to things from ownership/staff/NYPD haven't exactly been great either.

do a lot of soccer teams play in loving baseball stadiums in europe too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1075464480044302342?s=21