Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

Hey I’m Jan Saxan and apparently I’m from Iddly in this picture

My favorite Italian movie with John Saxon in it will always be Hands of Steel which is an absolute must-watch. He's not in it much and it's also the film that killed Claudio Cassinelli (he died while filming the helicopter scene :( ) but I love that Saxon is billed in it like he's the special guest star on a TV show or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

God I love The Shining. It's one of those films where you notice something new every time. This last watch, I noticed that in the ballroom scene, wherein almost no one in the background is actually talking, the band isn't playing, either. Little details like that add so much to further viewings.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A Spider Covets posted:

God I love The Shining. It's one of those films where you notice something new every time. This last watch, I noticed that in the ballroom scene, wherein almost no one in the background is actually talking, the band isn't playing, either. Little details like that add so much to further viewings.

2001 came out on UHD this week and it was amazing, but while I was watching it I couldn't help but think The Shining would also be spectacular in UHD. The Overlook would totally pop off the screen with all the various carpeting and the wallpaper and then the snowy exteriors, the ballroom, just everything.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

2001 came out on UHD this week and it was amazing, but while I was watching it I couldn't help but think The Shining would also be spectacular in UHD. The Overlook would totally pop off the screen with all the various carpeting and the wallpaper and then the snowy exteriors, the ballroom, just everything.

Oh that would just be rad. I got to visit the hotel once with my family and it is so vibrant in person from what I saw (outside, main entrance room where Jack is before he gets interviewed). Didn't get to do the tour unfortunately, but we did get to go through a hedge maze they have set up next to it. We all survived, luckily. :)

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 19, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Steve Dash has passed away. :(

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

M_Sinistrari posted:

That just bumped that one up the priorities on my massive watchlist. While the edited from the miniseries versions are okay, with some of them certain touches end up getting lost. Case in point, the IT miniseries' opening credits feature bits like newsclippings of the more unsavory aspects of Derry like the Black Spot fire and the Bradley Gang shootout.

I agree with you about full-length miniseries for the most part, but Salem's Lot is a little different. The 3+ hour version takes an hour for the vamp stuff to really get rolling. The first hour is mostly character introductions and filler, including setup for a subplot that involves none of the main characters and has nothing to do with the larger story arc.

The shorter theatrical cut was also planned from the start for them to show in Europe, and it includes gorier versions of some of the attack scenes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Steve Dash has passed away. :(

Scariest left eye in the business

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

deety posted:

I agree with you about full-length miniseries for the most part, but Salem's Lot is a little different. The 3+ hour version takes an hour for the vamp stuff to really get rolling. The first hour is mostly character introductions and filler, including setup for a subplot that involves none of the main characters and has nothing to do with the larger story arc.

The shorter theatrical cut was also planned from the start for them to show in Europe, and it includes gorier versions of some of the attack scenes.

I’ve only seen the full length mini series, but even that moved at a better pace than the novel. There’s a huge chunk in the novel where all the principal characters know that the towns being slowly taken over by vampires, and they still spend daylight hours rambling about Varney the Vampire and german serial killers and not staking vampires. They loving make stakes with a lathe like they’re in wood shop. I swear there’s a part where they leave to go scout vampire nests and they leave at like 2 PM. There’s weirdly no urgency and it comes off as bizarre. Doubly bad is that by that time the main characters are all you have left basically, all the wacky small town King characters are dead by then. At least the mini series didn’t make me as frustrated as the book did.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

General Steve King rule is if it was written before the 90’s just assume it was written while blasted on cocaine at 3am and this drat book’s gotta meet a minimum weight.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

This is Rob Lowe Salems Lot Miniseries Erasure.

e: and that's mostly a good thing

ee: lmao

"In his memoir, Love Life, Rob Lowe stated that Rutger Hauer showed up on set and did not know his lines. Lowe said, "I once starred in a big miniseries that culminated with the villain giving a two-page monologue trying to goad me into killing him. The actor playing the bad guy wanted to ad lib his own version of the movie-ending speech. Although he was playing a vampire, he went into a soliloquy about being a cowboy. The director was not impressed. After a very tense negotiation, the actor was forced to poo poo-can his self-penned opus and stick to the original script. There was only one problem: He hadn't bothered to learn it." Lowe went on to state that cue cards were placed next to Lowe's head and Hauer read the lines to him."

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 19, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Understandable considering Hauer had ad-libbed a big part of one of the most famous monologues in film history.

Did anyone in here pick up that Candyman blu ray that Shout Factory did recently? If so, hows the transfer?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly, Rutger Hauer monologuing about the cowboy lifestyle would probably improve just about any film

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A Spider Covets posted:

I bounced off the shining like 3 times until I picked up that Jack didn't give a poo poo about his family from the start, then I was instantly enthralled

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pomp posted:

I bounced off the shining like 3 times until I picked up that Jack didn't give a poo poo about his family from the start, then I was instantly enthralled

In fact, he resents them. He resents the fact that Danny was messing around with his papers, causing the incident that led to the rift between himself and his wife. And he resents his wife for not understanding his point of view that hey it's totally not a big deal that I yanked my son's arm out of the socket while hammered. And they're both terrified of him. There's so much packed into each of their interactions during that first half of the movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yeah that’s the key difference between the movie and the book. The book is about a man chained to the yoke of alcoholism, whereas the movie is about a true narcissist. Jack in the book feels like a failure from his own shortcomings and self loathing, movie Jack feels like a failure because his family has held him back from greatness.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
So, in short, novel Jack is King writing about his subconscious/id, and film Jack is Kubrick working out his subconscious ego/id.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Pretty much. And I think that’s why they clashed over it. Both identified with Jack in different ways that were also fairly opposite of each respective interpretation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Pretty much. And I think that’s why they clashed over it. Both identified with Jack in different ways that were also fairly opposite of each respective interpretation.

My take on what happened is that because it was such a personal story for King, the idea of making Jack a bad person at his core was something he was of course going to have a personal reaction to. In some way I think King probably was grappling with those issues himself and wanted to believe that he was a good husband and father deep down, in spite of his addiction problems.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

My take on what happened is that because it was such a personal story for King, the idea of making Jack a bad person at his core was something he was of course going to have a personal reaction to. In some way I think King probably was grappling with those issues himself and wanted to believe that he was a good husband and father deep down, in spite of his addiction problems.

Oh for sure. I definitely think that’s the case with King. But I kind of feel like Kubrick had some skin in that game too. He’s a very... esoteric personality, but when you read about his drive and perfectionism, you can a lot of that in Movie Jack. He doesn’t really portray Movie Jack as “evil” until he flips over, but rather like, almost detached and self isolated. Just by virtue of not having a interior voice to work with Movie Jack is way more of an angry introvert than Book Jack, and I can see a lot of Kubrick in that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah, for sure.

Also, Stephen King is an optimist and believes in God to an extent, and Kubrick is pretty much the opposite of that. King writing his author-stand-in as a person who's repented by the end probably means more to him than devout atheist and nihilist Kubrick letting ol' Jack get his icy desserts.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve only seen the full length mini series, but even that moved at a better pace than the novel. There’s a huge chunk in the novel where all the principal characters know that the towns being slowly taken over by vampires, and they still spend daylight hours rambling about Varney the Vampire and german serial killers and not staking vampires. They loving make stakes with a lathe like they’re in wood shop. I swear there’s a part where they leave to go scout vampire nests and they leave at like 2 PM. There’s weirdly no urgency and it comes off as bizarre. Doubly bad is that by that time the main characters are all you have left basically, all the wacky small town King characters are dead by then. At least the mini series didn’t make me as frustrated as the book did.

'Salem's Lot is one of the few early King books I don't remember reading, but based on this and that post about the remake, it sounds like that in-name-only Larry Cohen sequel is the best thing connected to that franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqHXEMVw7Ic

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Pomp posted:

Yeah that ties into something I noticed this time, too -- Jack at one point later in the film says he hasn't had a drink in 6 months, implying he only stopped drinking when they got to the hotel where there was no alcohol. But in the beginning, Wendy says he hasn't touched a drop since the incident with Danny. He was either never clean, like I believe, and was hiding it, or he binged between accepting the job and heading out to Overlook Hotel with his family. He resented them long before they got there either way.

e: I relentlessly pick at my posts for like 5 minutes after sorry lol

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 19, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the logical inconsistencies and broken narrative of The Shining is why it's great, i think. as soon as you start picking up on it, the conflicting details are relentless and you realise it all contributes to this horrible weird fever dream. it is a movie that gets better the more you watch it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

the logical inconsistencies and broken narrative of The Shining is why it's great, i think. as soon as you start picking up on it, the conflicting details are relentless and you realise it all contributes to this horrible weird fever dream. it is a movie that gets better the more you watch it

There’s a lot of weird stuff happening in the sound design I never noticed until seeing it in a theater.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

alf_pogs posted:

That's an interesting way to look at it. I think any other director who didn't have this crafted legacy of being a visionary perfectionist weirdo savant would be labeled inconsistent and a poor editor with some of the same choices.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

deety posted:

I freely admit to being a bit biased in I watched it when it first aired so I'm a lot more forgiving on pacing when I once had to wait a lot longer for the next part to air.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not too happy with the shoot, but these came out alright.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It's a pretty proven fact that The Shining was deliberately made contradictory. The sets themselves are deliberately impossible geometrically if you examine them for instance. There's windows that should be interior walls, doors to nowhere, the maze legitimately changes shape, etc etc.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Just rewatched House of Wax 2005. I hadn’t seen it since it was in theaters. It’s actually not as bad as I remember. The protagonist is probably one of the smarter ones for a horror/slasher movie. She gets bad vibes, and acts defensively.

Also all the melts wax scenes looked fun as hell.

I remember a bunch of people making fun of Paris Hilton’s character, but she was a pretty standard character and most of the critiquing just feel like “lol Paris Hilton”.

I also remember a lot of parallels at the time being drawn between Vincent and Michael Jackson, which is about the same level of effort.

The sound track is 2000’s nu-metal as poo poo and I love it. Brought me right back to high school.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Null of Undefined posted:

Just rewatched House of Wax 2005. I hadn’t seen it since it was in theaters. It’s actually not as bad as I remember. The protagonist is probably one of the smarter ones for a horror/slasher movie. She gets bad vibes, and acts defensively.

Also all the melts wax scenes looked fun as hell.

I remember a bunch of people making fun of Paris Hilton’s character, but she was a pretty standard character and most of the critiquing just feel like “lol Paris Hilton”.

I also remember a lot of parallels at the time being drawn between Vincent and Michael Jackson, which is about the same level of effort.

The sound track is 2000’s nu-metal as poo poo and I love it. Brought me right back to high school.

Doesn’t it open with Roland by Interpol?

Also, I vaguely remember them alluding to Hilton’s infamous sex tape in this film? It’s been a while.

e: since I’ve seen the House of Wax remake, I mean.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Doesn’t it open with Roland by Interpol?

Also, I vaguely remember them alluding to Hilton’s infamous sex tape in this film? It’s been a while.

e: since I’ve seen the House of Wax remake, I mean.

It does but it also has marilyn manson, disturbed, deftones, etc. As well as one of my favorite Joy Division songs, but it's mid-2000's as poo poo music wise.

They allude to Paris's sex tape such that there's a guy with a camera who videotapes her and the others a few times.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Null of Undefined posted:

It does but it also has marilyn manson, disturbed, deftones, etc. As well as one of my favorite Joy Division songs, but it's mid-2000's as poo poo music wise.

They allude to Paris's sex tape such that there's a guy with a camera who videotapes her and the others a few times.

It's more than an allusion, it's a direct callout. The guy with the camera switches to night vision mode when he films Hilton.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I mean that's what she's famous for, of course they're going to reference it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I mean that's what she's famous for, of course they're going to reference it.

It's still tacky as gently caress and not a little misogynistic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jedit posted:

It's still tacky as gently caress and not a little misogynistic.

Yeah, it was pretty misogynistic of her to exploit people's fascination with the sexual lives of young women to achieve fame.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just watched Rings and my main takeaway was "wait holy poo poo that was Leonard from Big Bang Theory I was watching"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Jo Bob's Xmas special is tomorrow night for those that cannot watch it because of reasons I'll be showing it on Rabbit ( if I can get that drat thing to start working again). I'll post a link later.

It'll start as the same.time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did Kvit! ever watch The House That Jack Built? I want to hear their thoughts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, it was pretty misogynistic of her to exploit people's fascination with the sexual lives of young women to achieve fame.

You seriously think she asked them to put a parody of the sex tape that her ex leaked and was making money from into the script? gently caress off. It was slutshaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Feeling pretty 2005 reading an argument about Paris Hilton.