Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Minority expulsion is the weirdest drat feature to put as the headliner for this DLC. It's not balanced or historical at all -- I mean all these people seriously don't care that I'm forcibly resettling them 5000 miles away, and there are just infinite Portuguese to flood into the newly vacated spots in Africa? What?

Historically, sending minorities off to the new world was kind of a big deal; but the in-game implementation is a bit dull, and maybe too powerful (there is literally no point in NOT doing it except very niche cases) so we're just shipping every wrong culture/religion person in the whole country off to the colonies for 300 years straight, and of course we have 6 billion castilian/portuguese/english people ready to fill up every inch of territory we conquer.

I got Golden Century because it's cheap, but honestly the bloat is starting to become too much. I'd love a rework of some mechanics like trade, colonization, PUs, the HRE, Celestial Empire and big empires in general - once you get past 1000 dev and know what you're doing, you basically can't fail anymore unless you gently caress up really, REALLY hard.

EU5 when? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, not a fan of minority expulsion.

It should really be some sort of religious decision that gives you +1% conversion speed and triggers New World provinces to convert to minority religions in your country.

Shipping all the French catholics in Normandy to Cuba is just... uh... :ughh:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I kind of wish upgrading troops didn't blow up *all* their morale. I'm sure its for balance purposes, but man does it suck to forget that and have that be the trigger that gets the AI to jump you hard.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Was the search window in the ledger recently added? Cause I uh, just noticed it :aaa:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Believe we added in Poland or in Dharma

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So I don't know if this is a bug or intentional but if you get a presidential dictatorship as a pirate republic you immediately loss all pirate republic effects and gain normal estates/republic effects. Then if you get out of the dictatorship you cannot regain pirate republic without using the decision again, so it's impossible if you have 7 or more provinces. I just think it's really weird that pirates would immediately organized themselves in to european feudal estates just because one guy became a dictator.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Bug,, if you've once had pirate republic you should always be able to switch back to it. Unless you take the government reform to lower the black flag.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Have you all been seeing a bug with charter companies? I guess you can't buy one if you have loans and a deficit but even after I fix that this happens:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I think that's because they don't know of your existence.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
"Hello we are from this place called Portugal we want to buy some land"

"How can you buy land if we don't know you exist? Checkmate Portugists"

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

That's kinda funny, I did the mission that gives you claims in India already! I guess I'll have to make the point more strongly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Groogy posted:

Bug,, if you've once had pirate republic you should always be able to switch back to it. Unless you take the government reform to lower the black flag.
I don't know if it happens if you become a pirate republic by decision but it happens for New Providence every time I fall to dictatorship. Though they just start as a pirate republic and don't appear to have to take the decision.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

New dev diary. Discusses EU4 in 2018 and 2019, and admits that Golden Century kinda sucks.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-18th-of-december-2018.1137741/

From my perspective EU4 is quite bloated with all the DLC features these days. Many of the expansion features are quite good, but some were never that interesting and have just been abandoned, it feels like? I'd really like the team to go back to some of those mechanics and make them more integrated and fun.

This bit was interesting too:

You know, FWIW, EU4 and paradox games in general get an astounding level of love and attention post release. If EU4 was being run by, say, Firaxis, we'd have one or maybe two expansion packs by now, and a small handful of patches that fix only the most glaring bugs and issues. I may bitch about it a lot, but that's because I know someone will at least listen. If they didn't listen, I'd just stop playing.

So thanks for making and continuing to make a really great game, guys.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

This is weird, I don't like it. Please return to calling everything we do worthless please.

Also I'm on vacation now but if you write a bunch of QoL poo poo you hate with the very essence of your being I'll write em up.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Uhh I don't know if I'm the only guy who has this problem but if you misclick a button in any diplo screen by a tiny amount it closes the entire window and every time this happens to me (which is probably several times per hour) I rage at the cruelty of the heavens

A small "dead zone" around buttons would be good, if you actually want to close the windows you can just scroll over a few cm into the main play window and click there

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Groogy posted:

This is weird, I don't like it. Please return to calling everything we do worthless please.

Also I'm on vacation now but if you write a bunch of QoL poo poo you hate with the very essence of your being I'll write em up.

Scalable UI
Scalable UI
SCALABLE UI

Playing on a high dpi display is painful.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Groogy posted:

Bring back the full annex war option so that I don't have to spend like 20 minutes checking whether each province is theirs or their CN's and still only mostly being sure if I didn't miss a spot.
A core all button so I don't have to click a hundred times after a big war
Make Forced March not give any penalty if the army is standing still so I can stop having to micro it on and off all the time

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pirate republics are good and fun, aside from the bug I mentioned encountering earlier.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Let me give provinces to my vassals by clicking them on the map instead of having to know the dang names.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Let me shift-right click a bunch of provinces and have my army move from province to province waiting for sieges to finish.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Make the food planet modifier in Stellaris a toggle

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Groogy posted:

All of the HRE Emperor's provinces show up in Imperial colour on the Imperial map mode, regardless of whether they're in the Empire or not. It wasn't this way two or three patches ago, the current state of affairs makes it a royal^H^H^H^H^Himperial pain in the rear end to expand the HRE. (Especially if you're France or the PLC or some other large blob and you mange to usurp the Imperial throne from outside.) Please fix.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also on the HRE, single-click to dump all your owned provinces into the HRE, a la trade company button.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Groogy posted:

I could make an enormous post of things I'd like to see, but for right now the first one that springs to mind is an option to anchor the mouse cursor to the game window. But that's an issue with all paradox games.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Groogy posted:

- I would really love if you guys did something to make fort zones of control a bit easier to visually grok. I understand how they work, I just want a map overlay so that I can quickly see what provinces an army can reach when I have it selected.

- Make it so that I don't have to keep remembering to add new colonies to trade companies. Just like, a checkbox somewhere, maybe the subject interaction screen, that adds every new colony in a charter area to the trade company.

- A search field in the achievement window would be really nice. Also a checkbox or something for 'achievements specific to the current nation'.

- When you assign diplomats to auto-improve with outraged countries, have them target countries that have slightly negative opinions and then just get their opinions positive. It's a waste of time trying to improve with a -200 country. It's also kind of a waste of time to completely max out relations. I want to first improve with the -50 ones and get them to +1.

- Similarly, when auto-improving with subject nations it should pick the one with the lowest opinion first. Makes no sense that it first targets a long standing vassal that already has +200 opinion instead of the newly acquired/released one.

- Add a way to see how old generals/admirals are and/or yearly chance of death.

- When mousing over an idea group to see the policies, sort the ones that match idea groups I've already taken to the top

- Fix the thing where when you load a game the outliner is out of order and you have to toggle colonists, buildings, etc. off then back on to get them back to the normal order

- Make the estates outliner, I dunno, better somehow. I want to know when I can do the clicks again.

- Make building a bunch of boats smarter. If you click the + button in a fleet it will often only queue boats in the nearest few provinces, so you end up with 10 boats being built in 1 or 2 provinces instead of 1 boat in each of 10 provinces.

- Similarly, when you click to build an army template it will sometimes queue up one of the regiments in a province that's already working on a boat. It should skip coastal provinces entirely if possible, and avoid provinces that are building boats for sure.

That's all I can think of for now!

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Family Values posted:

- I would really love if you guys did something to make fort zones of control a bit easier to visually grok. I understand how they work, I just want a map overlay so that I can quickly see what provinces an army can reach when I have it selected.

- Make it so that I don't have to keep remembering to add new colonies to trade companies. Just like, a checkbox somewhere, maybe the subject interaction screen, that adds every new colony in a charter area to the trade company.

HUGE agree on both of these.

My intuition re: forts is that you could do it with something like a four-color (or more, if that would look ugly) map of all Areas in the world. No fort, the Area is gray; active fort, it's colored in; mothballed fort, it's striped.

Not sure how obvious that would make the actual movement restrictions, though.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Family Values posted:

- A search field in the achievement window would be really nice. Also a checkbox or something for 'achievements specific to the current nation'.

- When you assign diplomats to auto-improve with outraged countries, have them target countries that have slightly negative opinions and then just get their opinions positive. It's a waste of time trying to improve with a -200 country. It's also kind of a waste of time to completely max out relations. I want to first improve with the -50 ones and get them to +1.

- Similarly, when auto-improving with subject nations it should pick the one with the lowest opinion first. Makes no sense that it first targets a long standing vassal that already has +200 opinion instead of the newly acquired/released one.

- Add a way to see how old generals/admirals are and/or yearly chance of death.

- When mousing over an idea group to see the policies, sort the ones that match idea groups I've already taken to the top

- Fix the thing where when you load a game the outliner is out of order and you have to toggle colonists, buildings, etc. off then back on to get them back to the normal order

- Make the estates outliner, I dunno, better somehow. I want to know when I can do the clicks again.

- Make building a bunch of boats smarter. If you click the + button in a fleet it will often only queue boats in the nearest few provinces, so you end up with 10 boats being built in 1 or 2 provinces instead of 1 boat in each of 10 provinces.

- Similarly, when you click to build an army template it will sometimes queue up one of the regiments in a province that's already working on a boat. It should skip coastal provinces entirely if possible, and avoid provinces that are building boats for sure.

That's all I can think of for now!

This guy EUIV's. Great list!

I would love it if there was an easier way to reassign land from each estate en masse to take away lower autonomy land and give them higher autonomy provinces.

aqu fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 19, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Add the duration of Pope Power effects I bought to the UI where I can buy them.
"Oh I can't buy 1 Diplo Rep right now, because it's active, but when I can buy it again?"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Having loving proper menus for selecting colors and symbols etc when creating custom nations. Dropdown or whole window. Flipping through them one by one is not fun or enjoyable in any way. Also put back the female advisor chance idea.

Tahirovic posted:

Add the duration of Pope Power effects I bought to the UI where I can buy them.
"Oh I can't buy 1 Diplo Rep right now, because it's active, but when I can buy it again?"
I think that's already in if you hover the cursor over the button.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sage Grimm posted:

Also on the HRE, single-click to dump all your owned provinces into the HRE, a la trade company button.

that’s potentially a lot of wasted ia once you pass a single reform and it gets set to 0, unless you only have it add up to what would give you 50 or you micromanage province taking and remembering when to click it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's a few things I've mentioned before.

Adding all these up and showing the total yearly change in relations would be really helpful.

Frabricating claims would be a lot less tedious if this window showed me more information, most importantly the development for each province (since that's usually the only thing that matters for forging claims). Also it would be really nice if we could go back to how forging claims used to work, where you picked a province and it forged the claim and stopped when it was done. The way it is now requires a lot of diplomat babysitting.

The macro builder for trade buildings doesn't show very useful information. The trade goods column is useless, the estate column is mostly useless, and the increase in trade power is mostly useless. What would be much more useful: autonomy, what trade node the province is in (maybe an icon for whether I'm collecting or steering or doing nothing in that node too), and how much trade value I currently control in that node (possibly with the calculated increase in controlled trade value with the marketplace, kind of like the tooltip for trade ships). Right now it's really hard to evaluate the cost/benefit of trade buildings.

And in general it would be great if the trade value calculation for trade ships was included in other tooltips, like for building manufactories and increasing base production. It doesn't have to be perfect, but having a rough estimate there would help a lot.

Along similar lines, showing how much trade value I control in each node would be helpful. Right now it just shows how much I'm collecting, if I'm collecting, which is basically the same thing. The trade node window shows me that value, but it would be nice to have it on the map as well.

Parliament needs some work. I'd like to be able to sort by type of demands here. Also there's no easy way to assign parliament seats efficiently. Ideally, you want to make your highest development provinces to be seats, so you have to go through the list one by one until you find one that's not already a seat or isn't controlled by an estate. It's such a hassle that I usually just let the AI do it.

That's about all I can think of for now. Thanks for listening.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 20, 2018

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

When shopping for a suitable vassal it's nice to know where they have cores you can reconquer for them. This is rather easy to find out for currently existing nations. Just click on one of their provinces while in diplomatic mode:

It's not so easy if you're looking to resurrect a dead tag. You have to click around on all the nearby provinces and look for the greyed out shield of the country in question. It can be hard to get a good overview and if the cores are not contiguous you're likely to miss a few.

Would it be possible to make it so that clicking on one of those greyed out shields put you in diplomatic map mode from their perspective? It would be a big help.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Do the portraits when the game loads have heads? I play on an ultra wide monitor and have never seen them because they cut off.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
No they don't, it was a unique design decision but sometimes you have to make bold choices.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Scalable UI
Scalable UI
SCALABLE UI

Playing on a high dpi display is painful.

I'm pretty certain this is a way harder thing to add than most people asking for it realize. It's not just a few weeks spent programming in UI scaling sort of deal, they'd have to straight up redraw the entire thing. I'm pretty sure (for EU4; I think for the newer games it's different) it's all drawn at a fixed resolution, and one that's one that's...smaller than would look good upscaled (at least some of the parts I made are!), unless you're okay with things being fuzzy as hell as long as they're bigger. And there's literally thousands and thousands of icons and poo poo now. I guess it's not like it's impossible, but are high dpi monitors even that much of the market yet? I thought it's something like less than 2%.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Family Values posted:

A list of really good suggestions

In addition to these, I would add

- A way to see a government modifiers for other nations. Occasionally, a situation will pop up where I need to know how long some modifier on a subject/rival nation will last, and (as far as I know), there is no way to do it. If it is already in the game, it would be nice for it to be easier to get to, since googling got me nowhere.

- A tooltip in the declare war screen that shows how long at the flat rate it will be before you can call allies into the war. It is tedious to have to go to each allied country, switch to the tab with trust/favors, and then see how fast it is growing.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Groogy posted:

Enforce Peace/Threaten War/Break Alliance/Intervene in War should be in the diplo macro builder :sassargh:

wukkar fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 20, 2018

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Fister Roboto posted:

Parliament needs some work. I'd like to be able to sort by type of demands here. Also there's no easy way to assign parliament seats efficiently. Ideally, you want to make your highest development provinces to be seats, so you have to go through the list one by one until you find one that's not already a seat or isn't controlled by an estate. It's such a hassle that I usually just let the AI do it.

That's about all I can think of for now. Thanks for listening.

Speaking of Parliament, it would also be nice if Seats showed up in the Estates view. I know they aren't estates as such but if they're mutually exclusive anyway, y'know?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

War taxes should automatically cycle if you have the era bonus for free war taxes. There's no reason besides busy work for it not to.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Ability to designate someone to auto transfer your occupied provinces to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beamed posted:

War taxes should automatically cycle if you have the era bonus for free war taxes. There's no reason besides busy work for it not to.

And also just make it a toggle that costs 2 mil points per month.