Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

so uhhh, I just got a verbal offer from a place I guess this is where I should do a salary negotiation? the offer is already more then I ever expected to make in my entire life.

ask for a few percent more

if they say no, ask for some extra vacation days

if they still say no, you were already happy, and you know you got the most they're gonna offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KidDynamite posted:

did well on my phone technical interview today. pretty sure it will lead to onsite. unexpected levels of sweat coming for my clothes.

edit: and the propranolol worked or maybe it was less stress cause it wasn't google. I think it was the meds though.

thumbs up mate

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

finished my own on-site a couple hours ago. it was... long, fraught, and I bricked a little on a logic puzzle that turned out to be a parity bit metaphor, but I think I did ok otherwise

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

elite_garbage_man posted:

In a surprising turn of events, the googs is going forward with my interview process.

My condolences

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

idk google seems like a good place to work for 13 months and get a Big Five on your job history

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

why 13 specifically?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

why 13 specifically?

To get at least three generations of chat apps on your resume?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

why 13 specifically?

probably so you don't have to pay the signing bonus back

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah I had a friend that did a few years at goog then ducked out; get mad money and after a job with one of the God Firms you can just walk back on to anything you want basically so why not

my own updates are that my transition is moving right along now; feeling good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

why 13 specifically?

more than a year without being too on the nose about it

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

so uhhh, I just got a verbal offer from a place I guess this is where I should do a salary negotiation? the offer is already more then I ever expected to make in my entire life.

read this immediately: https://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

current interview status: a great time to remember how to write a simple array sorting algorithm in C is five minutes after walking out of the interview after writing a horrific blob of pseudo-C that relies on a reference value that counts up but only probably ends up getting stuck in an infinite loop

Fallen Hamprince fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 19, 2018

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Went to sort of resign today but they instead immeadiately offered to make all the changes required so that I could continue to work for them (this really surprised me). So I'm no longer searching for a job, just recruiting which is nice.

Places which I have gotten interviews at/passed technical tests vs been rejected have seemed super random though. I've had interview offers from some really cool places, but also been rejected/failed tests for a real mix of places as well. There was a job for a charity I really wanted which would have been like 1/3 my current comp but they never even replied :(

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the weirdest thing is that I absolutely was not expecting to get that interview with [UNAMED INDIAN IT MEGACORP], it was obvious from the interview that they were looking for people with much more of a CS background. they’ve had some recruiting scandals in the past and I almost wonder if they just interviewed me as due diligence so they could hire someone from the motherland on a work visa. which is OK, I’ll take the ego-boost anyway, just wish they could have done it over the phone

also like 10 minutes before the interview I got a phone call from a recruiting agency who revealed that my application to them was for a 2-month contract, to which I said (not literally) gently caress that

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh "recruiting on a work visa" is the goal of a lot of the machinery of US tech hiring

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fallen Hamprince posted:

they just interviewed me as due diligence so they could hire someone from the motherland on a work visa.

this is 100% true 100% of the time. the indian IT megacorps are scammers through and through

get sued for not interviewing locals? well, start interviewing locals. don't mean you have to hire many. or pay them. or retain any of them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you doubt me look at the salaries attached to their h-1b filings. the indian "consulting" firms win the majority of h-1bs and pay <50% of the going rate.

(and that's for the h-1bs -- the intra-company transfers, the L-1s, earn much, much less)

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

that explains why they got an IT guy with no knowledge of python to quiz me, someone who only knows python, on example programs. oh well, it was probably a super-lovely QA job anyway

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i am still amazed by how big of a scam "consulting" firms are and how it just keeps going and going without anyone ever noticing

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you doubt me look at the salaries attached to their h-1b filings. the indian "consulting" firms win the majority of h-1bs and pay <50% of the going rate.

(and that's for the h-1bs -- the intra-company transfers, the L-1s, earn much, much less)

This is actually the number one problem with the US skilled immigration system, and it's amazing that there is absolutely zero appetite in Washington to change this current state of affairs. These companies just take advantage of the lottery by filing literally hundreds of thousands of applications, far more than all other companies put together.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

i am still amazed by how big of a scam "consulting" firms are and how it just keeps going and going without anyone ever noticing

there are at least three different scams called "consulting"

1. the indian megacorps

these are body shops. they let you fire your existing staff, and send you cheap staff from overseas to replace them.

they will promise you absolutely anything, at any price

they ain't gonna deliver it, but obviously you don't care, or you wouldn't have talked to these people to start with

2. management consulting, from the old "big five" (now big four)

you already trust your accountants and auditors, right? why not start paying them for advice... on.... stuff.

it's impossible to tell what they promised you, or what you got out of it, but you have some shiny new binders on your desk.

3. information technology consulting, also from the old "big five" plus the defense contractors (BAH, Lockheed-Martin) plus a few technology-specific groups

this is a fusion of management consulting, and the indian megacorp body shop model. you pay them a vast fortune, they replace your staff, and some mysterious binders turn up on your desk

they will promise you literally anything, and you're gonna pay for it, and good guess whether you get it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
never, ever interview with the indian megacorps unless you are an indian living in india. it makes absolutely no sense for someone with any other visa status to ever give a drat about them

interviewing with the other two categories is pretty useless unless you're a fresh grad, since most of them are prone to use the "Cravath" system -- hire vast numbers of fresh grads, make them compete for work, see how many good ones shake out.

there are exceptions, like BAH, who avoid the "Cravath" plague, but speaking from experience at some other firms it's not very much fun to work for these places anyway. the obsession with "deliverables" (read: binders) is insane

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the weirdest thing is that I absolutely was not expecting to get that interview with [UNAMED INDIAN IT MEGACORP], it was obvious from the interview that they were looking for people with much more of a CS background. they’ve had some recruiting scandals in the past and I almost wonder if they just interviewed me as due diligence so they could hire someone from the motherland on a work visa. which is OK, I’ll take the ego-boost anyway, just wish they could have done it over the phone

also like 10 minutes before the interview I got a phone call from a recruiting agency who revealed that my application to them was for a 2-month contract, to which I said (not literally) gently caress that

why bother with the self censoring? it's self evidently Tata based on what you're saying.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

why bother with the self censoring? it's self evidently Tata based on what you're saying.

it could have been infosys or wipro

or ibm :getin:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1. information technology consulting, also from the old "big five" plus the defense contractors (BAH, Lockheed-Martin) plus a few technology-specific groups

this is a fusion of management consulting, and the indian megacorp body shop model. you pay them a vast fortune, they replace your staff, and some mysterious binders turn up on your desk

they will promise you literally anything, and you're gonna pay for it, and good guess whether you get it.
i assume this is also where youd slot the big former giants of tech who settle on consulting once their prominence has faded (ibm, xerox, and unisys, and soon hp and dell)?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
which one of those categories fits reducing most of your existing staff and replacing them with people that are employees but you get to manage them like contractors, i.e. the contracting firm you pool them from is the one in charge of all their salary and benefits and employment taxes -- like employees as a service?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lancemantis posted:

which one of those categories fits reducing most of your existing staff and replacing them with people that are employees but you get to manage them like contractors, i.e. the contracting firm you pool them from is the one in charge of all their salary and benefits and employment taxes -- like employees as a service?
thats not "consulting" thats "staffing"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well yeah but that's what a good chunk of those IT firms do

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it could have been infosys or wipro

or ibm :getin:

nah it was tata, idk why I was coy about it, not like they’re gonna sue

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

infosys or wipro
*shudder* as if i have a choice

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's me, the idiot who gets hired (maybe) through an indian body factory

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

hiring me would be kind of beside the point of ‘pro-forma interview some randos so you can game the visa system’ so I’m not holding my breath lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so is that seriously infosys and wipro's game? I've already told infosys to shove off because they flaked three interview appointments in a row (and they're still spamming me about unauthorized applications), but I'm still talking with wipro

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

interviewing with the other two categories is pretty useless unless you're a fresh grad, since most of them are prone to use the "Cravath" system -- hire vast numbers of fresh grads, make them compete for work, see how many good ones shake out.

yep this was my first gig with oracle out of school. it sucked big time

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

wait- do we have any h1bs in yospos? i just realized that we're sort of incomplete without a few

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

KidDynamite posted:

did well on my phone technical interview today. pretty sure it will lead to onsite. unexpected levels of sweat coming for my clothes.

edit: and the propranolol worked or maybe it was less stress cause it wasn't google. I think it was the meds though.

propranolol is real good

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

wait- do we have any h1bs in yospos? i just realized that we're sort of incomplete without a few

i am and I'm sure there are plenty of others

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Gazpacho posted:

so is that seriously infosys and wipro's game? I've already told infosys to shove off because they flaked three interview appointments in a row (and they're still spamming me about unauthorized applications), but I'm still talking with wipro

that reminds me, another weird thing was the day i got contacted about an interview for the 'job', some other Tata guy called me and asked me if I wanted to apply to a *mumble mumble software developer* job. i said yes because what the hell, not like i had anything better to do than do interviews and the next day he contacts me and sets up a phone interview. only he never sends confirmation and ghosts on me the day the interview was supposed to happen. wonder if i ended up filling a row in two different Rando Local Dumbass We'll Never Actually Hire spreadsheets

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the Infosys story: about a month and a half ago a recruiter calls me repping a firm called Avance, says she has an opportunity with Infosys just up the road and can I be available for a screening call on a saturday? No other options are given besides Saturday and no other recruiter has ever asked for this, but in my situation I agree. Any other recruiter would follow up with a specific time, but this one doesn't, so toward the end of the week I e-mail asking for a time. I do get an automail from Infosys saying I need to complete my application, but I can't log into it. I don't hear anything back form her and, while sitting on my butt at home on Saturday, I don't get a call either.

Two weeks later, the same recruiter calls, says she wants me to be available Saturday again for the Infosys opportunity in the same place. Doesn't explain what happened before. I ask if she's going to provide a specific time on Saturday, she says yes. She doesn't, so I e-mail on Thursday "please specify a time for the interview or I won't be around." She doesn't respond, I go to the Forth interest group meeting that day, and there's no call.

Two weeks later, she calls and wants me to be available on a Wednesday morning. At this point I can't really hide my anger and I ask what happend before. She says she couldn't follow up due to the Thanksgiving holiday. (That's a lie, it has been two weeks after the last flake-out and she had plenty of time.) I demand a time and this time I think she gave it. I do get a call from Infosys -- for a position in southern California. I say I'm not up for that, then the recruiter calls me afterward and says "you said California" (no, I said the bay area).

At that point I e-mail her not to contact me about any opportunities. Other Avance recruiters keep pounding my phone and e-mail, no matter how many times I tell them to stop. Two weeks later of course she calls looking to play the game again and I tell her to get lost.

Don't apply to any listing by Avance. Probably don't apply to Infosys either, and if they call you, probably best to hang up.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-loneliest-job-in-a-tight-labor-market-11545224400?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/L8FFMNd8iN

Lmao.