Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I’m a bad person bc im looking forward to this moment way too much, she’s the most wasted so far

The shady camerman zooming in on her lost eyelash :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I’m a bad person bc im looking forward to this moment way too much, she’s the most wasted so far

It's honestly one of the best lipsyncs of the show too

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

the escape goat posted:

They're limited to like, one drink and they offer plain water or juice to sober contestants...?
It's nothing compared to a club environment.

Oh I get that, but it's more of a message thing. Being from a place where drinking is a cultural cornerstone, being the only person in the room without alcohol is super othering and I imagine it's even worse when you're an addict, on camera, away from your normal support network.

Think about how Katya broke down, for example. Her network wasn't there and she's in an environment that takes substances of addiction pretty lightly. I imagine that is actually way harder than being at your usual clubs where you have friends and people who know you and know your issues.

I'm not actually ascribing malice to wow here, it's normal to flood reality sets with liquor (for better or worse). I'm just saying our community is rife with addiction issues and I have a lot of empathy for the sober queens passing through that environment.

I guess I didn't have a point really other than a general :sigh:?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just watched Dumplin, that new Netflix movie about a girl who is on the bigger side, and she enters a beauty pageant to stick it to her beauty queen mother, played by Jennifer Aniston.

The movie was watchable albeit completely mediocre, lacking basic character depth, and mostly relying on shallow tropes. Most notably, the whole trope of a group of drag queens, or gay men in general, whose sole purpose is to help some frumpy straight person bring out their inner fabulous diva. In Dumplin, these queens are played by Harold Perrineau, Ginger Minj, and Sam Pancake.

I feel like at this point it's pretty similar to the trope of the "Magical Black Character," a supporting stock character who goes around selflessly helping white protagonists, relying largely on stereotypes. (see: The Green Mile, The Legend of Bagger Vance)

As it is every time with this trope, the gay characters in Dumplin have no story or depth of their own. They exist entirely to provide exposition or to service the character development of the leading straight characters. It's pure straight girl fantasy. A group of straight girls showing up to drag night at the local gay bar, and being so implicitly fabulous on their own, that they're allowed inside without having to pay cover, and despite being underage children in high school. They're then not only given a table right at the in front of the stage, and are even allowed to come up on stage during the Queens' routine and lip sync along with them. In their free time, the queens give motivational pep talks, teach the girls how to dress, do their makeup, dance, and bring out their inner divas.

It wasn't really offensive, and it was cool to see another Ru girl in a studio production, but it's just so lazy and uninteresting.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Iconic editing in the penultimate untucked of season 2

Tati: you think everything I do is poo poo

Raven: I would never say that

*cut to five instances of raven saying ‘Tati is poo poo’ in confessionals*

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 18, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nihonniboku posted:

I just watched Dumplin, that new Netflix movie about a girl who is on the bigger side, and she enters a beauty pageant to stick it to her beauty queen mother, played by Jennifer Aniston.

The movie was watchable albeit completely mediocre, lacking basic character depth, and mostly relying on shallow tropes. Most notably, the whole trope of a group of drag queens, or gay men in general, whose sole purpose is to help some frumpy straight person bring out their inner fabulous diva. In Dumplin, these queens are played by Harold Perrineau, Ginger Minj, and Sam Pancake.

I feel like at this point it's pretty similar to the trope of the "Magical Black Character," a supporting stock character who goes around selflessly helping white protagonists, relying largely on stereotypes. (see: The Green Mile, The Legend of Bagger Vance)

As it is every time with this trope, the gay characters in Dumplin have no story or depth of their own. They exist entirely to provide exposition or to service the character development of the leading straight characters. It's pure straight girl fantasy. A group of straight girls showing up to drag night at the local gay bar, and being so implicitly fabulous on their own, that they're allowed inside without having to pay cover, and despite being underage children in high school. They're then not only given a table right at the in front of the stage, and are even allowed to come up on stage during the Queens' routine and lip sync along with them. In their free time, the queens give motivational pep talks, teach the girls how to dress, do their makeup, dance, and bring out their inner divas.

It wasn't really offensive, and it was cool to see another Ru girl in a studio production, but it's just so lazy and uninteresting.

Thanks for taking that off my list for me

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Iconic editing in the penultimate untucked of season 2

Tati: you think everything I do is poo poo

Raven: I would never say that

*cut to five instances of raven saying ‘Tati is poo poo’ in confessionals*

This is easily one of my favorite moments of the entire show. Reality TV gold.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

warez posted:

This is easily one of my favorite moments of the entire show. Reality TV gold.

soooooooo good

Also enjoyed Dumplin', but there's not much special about it other than Aniston's performance, and the lead does really well with what she's given. It is indeed a very average/mediocre script tho.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha i am so glad that someone did the heavy lifting and put that brief but amazing clip on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0u4CplON0s

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Nihonniboku posted:

The book was all right- the queens play a little bit more of a role in it, although they're still cardboard cutouts- but I think there's an unfortunate trope in media where Fat Chicks = Friend of Friend of Dorothy. They're both OUTSIDERS, ya dig?

Now imagine my eyeroll.

Plus, the author's put out another book that's apparently not a sequel, but is still a "Can fat people are human?" plot, and I hate that. There's GOT to be another plot in there somewhere. Even Stephenie Meyer came up with non-Twilight stories.

And thoughts for the rest of the episode:

Latrice with those loving flags...man! Best part of Werq the World last time (except for Kim Chi's Sailor Moon drag and performance, and Alyssa Edwards being so happy to interact with the crowd that she spent her whole song just getting to the stage and had to start over) was Latrice with the flags. I wish she had sung live because I love the look on her face when she says "EXCUSE THE BEAUTY!" Seeing her on screen really doesn't bring across the power of Latrice's charisma- the whole place just stood, open-mouthed, totally caught up in her performance. Then again, I don't know how popular drill team is in Spain- I don't think it's very common- they may have just been confused.

Valentina writes generic reads ahead of time and just fills in the name when she's delivering them. She's scary without eyebrows.

I screamed when Farrah fell, but I wasn't very impressed with her performance. Or her tan.

Gia is still mean, but I enjoyed her performance. I have to stop calling her "untalented" and I completely apologize for saying it in the first place. Still don't like her, but what a treat that was.

I thought Manila was painting a butthole at first. I thought her talent was going to be a stunningly-rendered butthole painting.

Trinity is my personal MVP and always will be (now that she is not a threat to Sasha Velour) and I thought hers was quite cute. And seeing the reactions to her tuck was funny.

I called it on Jasmine Masters. What a shame. I wanted to see how many suits she BeDazzled.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

drat you, Race Chaser, for scaring me this morning! :argh:

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

All correct. I need Trinity to have a Nancy Grace-type show where she just looks real intense at the screen and asks Where. Are. The jokes?!

They've probably already spoiled the elimination order, and I haven't seen said spoilers,but who else hears the sashay aways for Farrah next episode? She's not a bad performer, just not... this style of performer I guess? It's like bringing a wrench to a cooking class or something. Gia might hop off too, but she's too good for production to not stay a few more episodes. Hopefully she doesn't poison the well for future trans contestants.

We've all got favorites for winner/top 3, but who's gone next? the AS4 Tontine! :getin:

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Jr. posted:

We've all got favorites for winner/top 3, but who's gone next? the AS4 Tontine! :getin:

It's got to be Farrah. Yes, the drag is good, but that's about it. Though with a singing challenge there could be some surprising bottoms, and the preview is teasing a Farrah v. Gia thing which ughhhh.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Farrah definitely is top of the list, but i could see it being Monet maybe, if she rocks another bodysuit

if i was a producer i would 100% want to keep Gia around for a while, she is behaving like a psychopath

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Next episode preview is up:

http://www.vh1.com/video-clips/xejtcv/rupauls-drag-race-all-stars-first-look-super-girl-groups-henny

Oh, I'm gagged.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
KACEY MUSGRAVES' OUTFIT :aaa:

One of us. One of us.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

NnnnNNNnnnoOOOOOOo! Nobody cares about Gia and Farrah's high school drama! :doh: One of them HAS to go next.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I have a strong irrational affinity for Farrah, but this was too soon for her to return. She doesn't have the same confidence as the more successful young queens so I think it's just going to take a few years of work and experience to season her well enough to be very successful in this context.

Also that movie sounds loving awful. I think I've seen Alyssa's face bouncing around my Netflix though; is whatever that is any good?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The Alyssa Edwards show is a ‘dance moms’ style thing about Justin(?) teaching kids dance and some of his family drama on the side. It’s watchable but not super compelling imo.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Y’all ever watch Happy Endings? Farrah and Alex are twins.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Now I want to see Farrah drunk backstage eating ribs...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
bbqyesqueen.jpg

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The Alyssa Edwards show is a ‘dance moms’ style thing about Justin(?) teaching kids dance and some of his family drama on the side. It’s watchable but not super compelling imo.

Pretty much. It's more watchable than I expected. I ended up watching the whole thing in one afternoon while building office furniture.

I liked the cute kids and rooting for them to succeed.

I didn't like any of the super self-entitled moms and all of their drama.

I liked seeing Alyssa doing drag things.

I didn't like seeing Justin going on dates, or dealing with his family drama.

I love Alyssa. But, overall, Alyssa is better handled in small doses. A whole series following her, it's kind of a lot.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
I liked dumplin' was a decent 7/10 heartwarming teenage flick with a fantastic Dolly Parton soundtrack. It is what it is, if that's not your sort of thing that's cool, but I was pleasantly surprised.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:yeah:

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Speaking of Netflix... Ru is hosting the new Skin Wars Spinoffquel, Fresh Paint--sort of a Nailed It format where each episode is self-contained. Dunno where Rebecca Romijn went.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Not reading the thread because I'm still in the middle of episode one, but I just wanna say that when I go to bed tonight I'm going to pray to every deity I can think of that I age like Jenifer Lewis.

e: Monet, a reference is not a joke. For gently caress's sake, I actually get mad every time I see you with a sponge now.

:lol: "leave that nervous poo poo at home it's boring"

I am legit baffled by Monique's placement here because I thought her thing was boring as gently caress.

If I never see another wig come off on Drag Race I would be fine with that.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 19, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

I hate enjoying Gia's performance because she's a loving rear end in a top hat. Goddamn it, that was delightful.

Right? I hate it when someone who is a fuckin' jerk is actually good at something.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love it when a oval office has the talent to back it up, but they have to be charming about it, too. I love Gia's cuntiness but she doesn't necessarily have the charisma to back it, even if she's a fierce as gently caress performer. Someone like Raven did a great balancing act of being one of the biggest bitches this show has ever seen, but she was a likeable bitch who also made friends and sometimes played nice-- as well as having the skill to back aaaall that up. Compare to Tyra who was a oval office with her eyes on nothing but the prize, and not necessarily as funny. Both talented bitches but we like one more than the other. (obvs now Raven is much nicer and Tyra is still a mess, but I mean more thru the lens of when that season was fresher)

Gia was hilarious on S6 and one of my favourite things b/c she had a lot of loud and crazy personalities to play off of, and came off sort of dumb which made her bitchiness funny. Now she's just a oval office. Which again I love, but in a diff way lmao

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn: COURTNEY ACT IS SUBMITTING HERSELF FOR AUSTRALIA'S EUROVISION ENTRY :australia::australia::australia:

I wasn't a real fan of the song but I'll need to give it a real listen but CAN YOU IMAGINE?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn: COURTNEY ACT IS SUBMITTING HERSELF FOR AUSTRALIA'S EUROVISION ENTRY :australia::australia::australia:

I wasn't a real fan of the song but I'll need to give it a real listen but CAN YOU IMAGINE?

i didn't need encouragement to watch eurovision but now i'm legitimately pulling for my stupid country

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I hope Courtney, if she makes it, finally brings some camp to Eurovision for the Aussies. Or I will still end up rooting for Moldova!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Quinctia posted:

I hope Courtney, if she makes it, finally brings some camp to Eurovision for the Aussies. Or I will still end up rooting for Moldova!

Always root for Moldova. :colbert:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I’m still firmly on the ‘TISM should represent Australia in Eurovision’ train but unless I hear news about a reformation I reckon Courtney is a good pick and I hope she gets it

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
On the subject of gay poo poo, I just deleted my Grindr and Scruff accounts. As someone who doesn't really enjoy random hookups, I've been feeling put off by all the guys who: 1) expect dick pics and j/o videos within seconds of first chatting, 2) get angry or crazily insistent if you don't reply right away 3) or randomly decide to ignore you after days of seemingly good conversation.

On one hand, I'm relieved. On the other, I feel like I'm cutting myself off from meeting a large part of the gay community.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Pinwiz11 posted:

Always root for Moldova. :colbert:

Yeah patriotism makes me excited for Courtney but Moldova are the best at Eurovision :colbert:

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Today is Dida Ritz's birthday! Revisit her performances - she performed at Vixen's Black Girl Magic last night and she brought the house DOWN. So underrated! Her lip syncing is top notch, and her makeup and costuming have only improved since her season 6(!) years ago :swoon:

This Will Be - iconic show performance
https://youtu.be/Ks4WfzSt7_k

Chun-Li - at Drag Matinee Chicago this May
https://youtu.be/6K5_PTU4XU0

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I finally watched the episode last night (I forgot it was happening because I'm not really following drag right now), so some thoughts;

Top three has got to be Trinity and Latrice or Manila (I agree with whoever said they probably won't both make top 3) and then... not sure?? I think Naomi, Money and Monique all have a good chance of getting that third spot. Valentina.... maybe. She's definitely good, but I have a hard time rooting for her when everything about her feels so....fakey.

Probably that's just my perception of Villiantina, she just reminds me of people I know and cannot stand.

Farrah will be out soon, unless she can get over her whiny pity party thing. I really like her and I've always thought she was really charming so it's kind of disappointing to see her start out so poorly. Also her fake rear end laugh sucks bad.

Gia I think should have been in the top for this episode, her performance was really unique! And beautiful! That said she's super unpleasant to watch in confessionals.

I'm rooting so loving hard for Trinity.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In honour of Gia's performance that should have been top 2, here's a dope number she did at Micky's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xx4KDzVB9Q&t=2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm all about Willam yelling at the AS4 Queens for not having their talent show songs for sale immediately on iTunes during this week's Race Chasers.