Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Other than Discworld which is insanely huge, what's a great Pratchett book? I feel like I should read more of his stuff if Good Omens is going to be my favorite book.

Discworld is not a series with a consistent story, but rather a series of stand alone books set in the same universe.
Small God’s is one which deals with religious themes like good omens, but really it is just to pick the ones you find interesting. The nerds over in the book recommendation thread wants everything to be systematic, which Discworld really isn’t. I would avoid some of the later books at the start since they are more dependent on earlier books.
There is also no point where one can tell when the Alzheimer set in and he kept writing to the bitter end, in contrast to some other author best not mentioned here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Small Gods, Mort, Wyrd Sisters, Going Postal, and Guards! Guards! are the best intro to Discworld novels imo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bloom posted:

Pratchett was hardly round compared to gurm and lucas and such, and yet we lost him instead of one of the fat fucks.

A wine bottle and swine and a dead noble....life imitates art.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Watch series is a good place to start. Then anything with Death IS ALSO A GOOD PLACE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
TELL ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSEY MOVES

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Given that the Pratchett thread was renamed based on a quote from Reaper Man, I wonder what this thread will be renamed to when GRRM finally drops dead.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cardiac posted:

Given that the Pratchett thread was renamed based on a quote from Reaper Man, I wonder what this thread will be renamed to when GRRM finally drops dead.

His last ASoIaF published words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cardiac posted:

ASoIaF: Some stories have a happy ending after all!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

I wouldn't really call Pratchett a fantasy writer either. A satirist, primarily, and one of the best.
He wrote about trolls, dwarfs and wizards. He was a fantasy writer.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Flags at half pink mast

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think this was ages and pages ago but I think Elio and Linda write the 'lore', by which I mean they cross reference various tidbits grrm has shat out before and make up poo poo where there are fleshy gaping question marks left, but at least from the old wiki-novellas I'm convinced it's the gurm himself who writes the prose; maybe they help him with the structure somewhat but there's no mistaking the author.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Maybe it's more fitting if the mods announce they'll rename the thread then put it off forever.

But also this:

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Flags at half pink mast

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alhazred posted:

He wrote about trolls, dwarfs and wizards. He was a fantasy writer.

They was metaphors!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

They was metaphors!

Pratchett famously called out Rowling because she didn't want to call her books fantasy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's funny seeing the GoT Reddits all optimistic about the series due to GRRM's new bullshit blog post.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's like being the grizzled old veterans on their 4th tour and seeing the fresh starry-eyed recruits coming in excited about their first deployment and we're doing our best not to learn their names so we won't care when we wipe the goo that used to be their face off our jackets at the end of the day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Pratchett famously called out Rowling because she didn't want to call her books fantasy.

Ah, is Harry Potter speculative fiction then?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's like being the grizzled old veterans on their 4th tour and seeing the fresh starry-eyed recruits coming in excited about their first deployment and we're doing our best not to learn their names so we won't care when we wipe the goo that used to be their face off our jackets at the end of the day.

Fourth tour? At this point I'm well past the halfway mark of the Thirty Years War.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hobbesmaster posted:

Ah, is Harry Potter speculative fiction then?

ha, nice

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

All fiction is speculative QED

The bible is fantasy QED

Sic semper

quuuuuuueeeeeeddeeeeee

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hey, whatever happened to threadsy regulars like IRQ, Norris, etc? Don't tell me they got lives.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SaviourX posted:

Hey, whatever happened to threadsy regulars like IRQ, Norris, etc? Don't tell me they got lives.

This thread's relevance has a lifespan now measured in weeks. The end is approaching and there's nothing GRRM can do to forestall it any further.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The wait between seasons has been extra long this year, so we have less to bitch about.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Is it out yet?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Figurative Death of GRRM has killed the thread. The Literal Death of GRRM will be what reunites us.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I can’t believe I’ve only been a fan of this series for less than five years when it has taught me so much about managing disappointment and expectations

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
GRRM is 70 years old -5000 odds on finishing the books.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Literally no one in Vegas would take the bet he finishes the books. He will die before WoW is published.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

The wait between seasons has been extra long this year, so we have less to bitch about.

it's odd but i do feel better with less GoT tv :thunk:

still it'll be nice to see all the fan favorites burn and freeze

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

He will die before WoW is published.

I toxxed on it and at this point I'd be more pissed if he released it than if he didn't.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'll happily recommend the Sandman comics.

It's got everything. Weird alternate dimension poo poo, bizarre lore, pitch black humor, and the most adorable rotting pervert corpse with mind control powers.

It also has The Corinthian, which really justifies many other things. Such a beautiful concept.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

It also has The Corinthian, which really justifies many other things. Such a beautiful concept.

Not really.

Gaiman as is bad as Pratchett, but at least Pratchett has stopped writing more garbage.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Not really.

Gaiman as is bad as Pratchett, but at least Pratchett has stopped writing more garbage.

Have you considered not being a dick?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Y'all ever wonder what made BotL into this rabid killjoy of a man?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

People responding to his trolling?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

It was a freak lab accident meant to produce a frog that was physically incapable of enjoying anything. But the frog exploded and when its frog juice coated the nearest intern, it bonded with their DNA making them into the most joyless creature on Earth. Now he stalks the world on his unending mission: to try and convince others that all things are bad and should not be enjoyed so that he won’t be alone in his hell.

He is... kind of an rear end in a top hat, and you should put him on ignore and stop actually replying to him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also for a man who despises popular entertainment, he sure as poo poo consumes a lot of it. It’s like complaining that eating a bowl of rusty nails every morning loving sucks. ...Well then stop eating a bowl full of rusty nails and you won’t have a problem to complain about all the time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Popular entertainment isn't bad. It's just that no one writing popular literature today knows how to write.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
“Oh, and the nails taste awful too. Can you believe it?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'll happily recommend the Sandman comics.

It's got everything. Weird alternate dimension poo poo, bizarre lore, pitch black humor, and the most adorable rotting pervert corpse with mind control powers.

I sort of grew up on sandman, and could never adapt to his novels. I don't know why - I just don't like them that much.