Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cassie is kind of a weirdo imo.

Her and TJ's main character flaw each is that they are not boyfriend and girlfriend. Cause they would be adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"You have proven yourself to be Carlos" absolutely slayed me, great job LizWiz.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm going to be honest, I spent the entire episode thinking that at least for TJ, Tommy being hurt was for him to be like "hey, guy, you seem brave and you know karate, take this morpher and fight off those monsters" and not for it to just all be in at the end.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Cassie is kind of a weirdo imo.

Her and TJ's main character flaw each is that they are not boyfriend and girlfriend. Cause they would be adorable

There's this lovely scene in Turbo's jacket episode where they jokingly flirt, and it's sincerely wonderful.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

MisterBibs posted:

There's this lovely scene in Turbo's jacket episode where they jokingly flirt, and it's sincerely wonderful.

Considering how the whole Turbo season was handled, they probably were wary of trying another relationship before In Space came around. Then they had Ashley and Andros and they probably didn't (or weren't allowed to) do anything else with TJ and Cassie.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, that one jacket episode.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

When does Divatox's actress switch out?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hurricanger is getting a Shout Factory release...finally, some decent subs for the season

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.powerrangersnow.com/new-s-p-d-team-revealed/

quote:

Meet the all-new team of Power Rangers S.P.D.!

In the time since the show has ended, BOOM! Studios has gone a long way in furthering the mythology of one of the most popular Power Rangers’ seasons.

In a special Christmas card from Hasbro, fans got their first look at where the Power Rangers S.P.D. B-Squad stands today.

•The Red Ranger is still Bridge Carson, the former Green & Blue Ranger who rose up through the ranks and still dons the team leader suit as seen in Power Rangers Operation Overdrive‘s ‘Once A Ranger’.
•The Blue Ranger is Lina Song, making the Blue Ranger a female character. Lina Song is a character featured in Power Rangers Hyperforce.
•The Green Ranger is JJ Oliver, the son of Tommy Oliver who becomes a Power Ranger in BOOM! Studios’ graphic novel Power Rangers: Soul of the Dragon.
•The Yellow Ranger is still Z Delgado.
•The Pink Ranger is still Syd Drew.

The most interesting part of the Christmas card comes in the form of a new Ranger. That Ranger would be the Deka Ranger, also known as Sky Tate, the former Blue Ranger who’s taken Commander Cruger’s spot atop Space Patrol Delta’s Earth branch. Sky has a brand new Power Ranger suit, with strong resemblances to the Shadow Ranger suit donned by Commander Cruger.

Sky’s new Ranger suit is another variation of red, with an ‘X’ design on his chest to represent the number 10. Sky’s new Ranger suit also features an arrow on the left side of his suit to represent the Power Rangers Time Force Red Ranger, a suit briefly worn by Sky’s father in a scene from Power Rangers S.P.D.

Some fans may notice that the Red Ranger’s suit also appears slightly different. While this is the Red Ranger in SWAT Mode, it’s also a slightly different version known as ‘Fire Squad’ that was featured in Super Sentai’s Dekaranger: 10 Years After. That suit is now canon in the Power Rangers universe as Bridge sports it in the Christmas card above.

Today, Command Cruger still sits atop Space Patrol Delta as the Supreme Commander following Commander Birdie’s retirement.

Also seen on Hasbro’s Christmas card is RIC 3.0, the latest version of Power Rangers S.P.D.‘s lovable canine companion.

The Christmas card was released by Hasbro as a way to promote BOOM! Studios’ most recent graphic novel, Power Rangers: Soul of the Dragon, and continue furthering the storylines that the comic book universe has established.

While there are no plans to feature Sky’s new Ranger suit in any immediate stories, the character could always make a surprise appearance in a storyline, or scene, down the road.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Why all this busy poo poo ruining the clean and awesome SPD aesthetic.

That one dude back there might as well call himself Patren-U.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh, it's basically just the Shadow Ranger/DekaMaster design but with Kamen Rider Wizard's coat.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's no busier than Deka Master, which full on has the letter "100" on it, instead of a nod to Time Force because of Sky's history.

Meanwhile, Bridge's upgrade is the fire squad armor, which was just a sleeker swat mode.

I'm not seeing how this is busier than a majority of the stuff SPD already introduced.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, it's basically just the Shadow Ranger/DekaMaster design but with Kamen Rider Wizard's coat.

The 100 on Kruger's costume is way more in keeping with everybody else's than this guy's "Have you noticed the arrow in FedEx let me show you where it is" pattern.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

did... you read the part that explains why it's there at all?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I love that they're keeping SPD going, but you mean to tell me that neither of the girls on the team moved up even a little bit? I like the new guy, but that dragon shield on green just looks awful.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

JT Smiley posted:

I love that they're keeping SPD going, but you mean to tell me that neither of the girls on the team moved up even a little bit? I like the new guy, but that dragon shield on green just looks awful.

There's not really anywhere to go as we understand the SPD hierarchy. There's the ranger squads, their commander, and the grand poobah of SPD.

Also just noticed the Dragon Shield doesn't have the armbands for some reason.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SpazmasterX posted:

Also just noticed the Dragon Shield doesn't have the armbands for some reason.

Probably some artist saw the clip of red taking the shield as their reference because the armbands don't appear on him when he does.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

JT Smiley posted:

The only SPD members with a rank are Shadow/Deka Ranger, Red, and Blue. Red is the leader of B Squad and Blue is the second in command, everyone else after that is just a ranger. That's why Z and Syd were still Yellow and Pink, instead of Z becoming Green or something, even after Bridge was promoted at the end of the series. The number doesn't really indicate a place in a hierarchy, they're just like sports team jerseys.

It's still weird that some new girl would be promoted to second in command instead of Z, though.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 20, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, didn't whoever ended up being number 10 in SPD/Dekaranger actually have an X for 10 on their suit? (I want to say it was the Nova Ranger who I think was only in the Dekaranger movie?)

I mean Kat/Swan has a loving heptagon instead of a number 7.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 20, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want to delete Tommy from the timeline, jesus christ.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The dragon shield is only there because of circumstances in the Soul of the Dragon GN. It's due to circumstances involving how J.J. morphs for the first time. It's not indicating that J.J., Tommy's son, is the best and most important member of SPD of all time, it's just a nod to his family history. The actual story of the GN is about how Tommy needs to retire and move on from being a ranger.

And honestly, if there's any kind of ranger outfit that Tommy's son would get involved with once he's an adult, SPD makes the most sense. It's basically the most public and established Ranger team galaxy wide. I don't see how it's any worse than Sky's father being a past user of the Time Force red powers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I will never hate the idea of more RIC, no matter the vector.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nodosaur posted:

The only SPD members with a rank are Shadow/Deka Ranger, Red, and Blue. Red is the leader of B Squad and Blue is the second in command, everyone else after that is just a ranger. That's why Z and Syd were still Yellow and Pink, instead of Z becoming Green or something, even after Bridge was promoted at the end of the series. The number doesn't really indicate a place in a hierarchy, they're just like sports team jerseys.

It's still weird that some new girl would be promoted to second in command instead of Z, though.

Z was passed over for promotion and put on administrative leave after it was discovered she was doing burlesque shows in her full uniform.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

The dragon shield is only there because of circumstances in the Soul of the Dragon GN. It's due to circumstances involving how J.J. morphs for the first time. It's not indicating that J.J., Tommy's son, is the best and most important member of SPD of all time, it's just a nod to his family history. The actual story of the GN is about how Tommy needs to retire and move on from being a ranger.

No one's saying that the graphic novel doesn't justify the dragon shield. Everyone's saying that it looks terrible on an SPD suit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess I'm just desensitized by all the kitbashing of disparate zords and powers that Boom has done. Sorry everyone.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Promote Bridge to pink already.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Z was passed over for promotion and put on administrative leave after it was discovered she was doing burlesque shows in her full uniform.

Who knew there were such strict rules on moonlighting?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Finished Kakuranger. Do all the 90's sentai shows peak midway through, then just do it all again for another 25 episodes?

Zyu and Dairanger both did too, though Kakuranger felt worse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Failson posted:

Finished Kakuranger. Do all the 90's sentai shows peak midway through, then just do it all again for another 25 episodes?

Zyu and Dairanger both did too, though Kakuranger felt worse.

Ohranger is about the same unfortunately (though it peaks a lot earlier than that) but Carranger and Megaranger are both pretty consistently good throughout if you want to check those out.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Ohranger is about the same unfortunately (though it peaks a lot earlier than that) but Carranger and Megaranger are both pretty consistently good throughout if you want to check those out.

Thanks. How could I forget Mega! It's been my favorite overall so far. Not as stylish as Dai, not as weird as Zyu, but really consistent.

Might do Jetman next, then. I started Ohranger, but I'm not really in a hurry to finish.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, a grown man attempts to fight a car.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 21, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm excited to see what happens when Lizard Wizard gets to In Space and sees there's an actual monster of the day named Lizwizard (Lizard Wizard do not view this spoiler I am warning you)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry, my lizard brain made me immediately click it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Now that the lizard's out of the bag, I've gotta say:

quote:

Lizwizard could wrap his long tongue around someone and switch places with them. He did so with Cassie and got her injured when Carlos meant to hit Lizwizard.

quote:

This Nezire was used by Shibolena to project her image across the internet with the digital camera on his shoulder, which in the process would take control of people and have them undergo "Nezirian Teaching" to make them into blood-thirsty sadists.

I do not envy the people who had to adapt old toku to be American kid-friendly.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It helps that Sentai is, always, somewhat goofy. Even when it's trying to be serious, it's goofy. In the middle of serious arcs, goofy episodes happen. The most bug-rear end insane episode of Sentai I've ever seen happened in the midst of Liveman's serious moments. During Abaranger's evil ranger arc of 20 or so episodes, there's an episode where an anime man comes out of the television and helps fight a monster.

In Space and Lost Galaxy being such a huge departure from their Sentai with entire episodes being re-shot and zord fights often being finisher-only means they skipped over entire episodes like this one. They couldn't really afford to do that in the Zyuranger/Dairanger days, which led to really stupid monsters.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Well, yeah, but my point was that that was the same monster.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The funniest part about the changes between Mega/Space is that when Power Rangers finally moved past the high school setting (there's like two episodes where it's even mentioned) Sentai does a season where high school is an integral part of the premise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

galagazombie posted:

The funniest part about the changes between Mega/Space is that when Power Rangers finally moved past the high school setting (there's like two episodes where it's even mentioned) Sentai does a season where high school is an integral part of the premise.

In fact, I'm pretty sure Sentai has only actually done the whole "Teenagers with attitude" angle themselves twice in the entire franchise (Turboranger and Megaranger), otherwise the closest thing I can remember is the Red from Magiranger still being in high school.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I mean, Goseiger were on a field trip from Angel School when they got trapped on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This episode of Ninja Steel where the pink and white rangers are trying to stop their parents from dating is very weird.