Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Tetracube posted:

that's why america keeps murdering civilians by the million, they're reading the charts wrong!

They misunderstood the Trolley Problem and just keep hammering the "kill one person" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

MrUnderbridge posted:

The DoD loves slides like that.
Yeah I've only seen the weird ones that leak out, but those look like they came from people with very different training cargo-culting corporations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

The DoD loves slides like that.
poo poo that doesn't make sense so they can blame war crimes on a slideshow and not knowing better?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

They misunderstood the Trolley Problem and just keep hammering the "kill one person" button.

A smart bomb is falling towards five innocent people. You have the power to redirect it so it will harm no one, but you will lose your job.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

How do you come to make a graphic with those colors? Is that the default in some DoD app? I feel like it's against almost every rule in every style guide I'm aware of...

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

By "like that" I meant hard to read, somewhat confusing but complicated looking.

I think it's part of the UCMJ that any presentation has to have a slide that is close to (if not totally) impossible to parse.

And it leaks over into things from consultants and industry, since so many come from the military.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

WrenP-Complete posted:

some DoD app?
You mean Microsoft Powerpoint?

e: If you didn't know it really is just powerpoint 99% of the time. And usually a really out of date version. Like that chart was probably made on the XP version of powerpoint.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Goon Danton posted:

The first rule of government spending is "Why build one when you can build two at twice the price?"

The DoD looks at the Trolley Problem and comes to the solution of "send two trolleys"

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Goon Danton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQ-LZYAMBQ

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

If you ever seen the maps of what would happen to your house in the event of all the nukes being fired, then that looks exactly like the map of what would happen to me. It turns out that I’m surrounded by high value military and industrial targets and a big CIA listening post.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is a slide that the chief geochemist used in a presentation at my work once.

He talked to the slide for a few minutes, but it's still pretty incomprehensible.

"As you can see here from the copper ppm results compared to the copper ppm XRF field results" yeah no we can't mate, you cut the bottom of it off.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
That's not even the worst slide I've seen in real life. Officers love their incomprehensible charts

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I just got a license for Tableau recently so let the games begin!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Aleph Null posted:

Nice! Desktop I assume? I used to support Server but moved to the Online team recently.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Aleph Null posted:

have fun

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

Our guys occasionally make impressively dense Tableau pages, have fun.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

WrenP-Complete posted:

How do you come to make a graphic with those colors? Is that the default in some DoD app? I feel like it's against almost every rule in every style guide I'm aware of...

by those colors and the dithering im betting its like powerpoint 95 or something

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m not sure if it’s dithering or just filling with a partially transparent pattern. But that’s the highlight for me, for sure.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Nice! Desktop I assume? I used to support Server but moved to the Online team recently.

Desktop. We have a server to which I am connected.
Along with Alteryx, I plan to beat the poo poo out of some data.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Guess it's time to repost this classic:

If I recall correctly, it was only shown briefly to make the point that the situation in the country is real loving complicated. But somebody had to make it first, and that somebody is a monster.

Edit: lol I never noticed the "version 3"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If I recall correctly, it was only shown briefly to make the point that the situation in the country is real loving complicated. But somebody had to make it first, and that somebody is a monster.

only version 3 of the working draft.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Thanks you, this is the chart I immediately had in mind after seeing the Collateral Damage Estimation disaster but couldn't find it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/katietiedrich/status/1075199051463909376

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
dedede is a king, dumbass

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tree Goat posted:

It’s from Marth’s perspective and he’s racist.

https://twitter.com/katietiedrich/status/1075544354641588226

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tree Goat posted:

Watch out for his drool, too!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Speciest. :colbert:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Needs to read himself some Marx too, Isabelle definitely isn't bourgeois.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Uncoronated members of a royal family hold princely titles, not royal ones. Lucina, Corin, Bowser jr, and the Princesses need to get their pretentious asses down to nobility tier.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Vorpal Cat posted:

Uncoronated members of a royal family hold princely titles, not royal ones. Lucina, Corin, Bowser jr, and the Princesses need to get their pretentious asses down to nobility tier.

Peach is pretty clearly the reigning monarch. Maybe it's a traditional thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are many historical incidents of reigning monarchs styling themselves "prince" but the polity they rule is usually considered a principality in that case.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Byzantine posted:

As far as we know she could just as easily be regent of the mushroom kingdom while the actual monarch is unavailable do to unstated reasons. Which would make her the ruler of the mushroom kingdom while still being a princess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

https://twitter.com/katietiedrich/status/1075544746859421696

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Isabelle might be petty bourgeois, but not everyone with a white collar job is.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Interestly despite having one if not more literal gods on the roster, no smash bros character holds an emperor level title.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Vorpal Cat posted:

As far as we know she could just as easily be regent of the mushroom kingdom while the actual monarch is unavailable do to unstated reasons. Which would make her the ruler of the mushroom kingdom while still being a princess.
The actual monarch, king Toadstool:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IYKK posted:

Well you can see why she's attracted to Mario.

-known sex pervert Sigmund Freud

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

IYKK posted:

In Mario RPG the king is a toadstool like Toad. I remember thinking at the time "huh, I guess the princess was adopted."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Marx? You mean that weird clown guy from the Kirby games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Byzantine posted:

Someone didn't play Super Mario 3.