Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Just started the other day and am furiously grinding earlier stages so I can someday survive the event stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Looking at the actual damage stuff since I saw that even with Z19/Z20/Z21's skill destroyer AP guns are still bad, it's surprising how bad they actually are against light/medium/heavy armor:
Normal: 100/50/20% damage
HE: 120/60/60%
AP: 90/70/40%

I'd almost expect that it's the result of somebody entering the wrong data, but probably not since the game has been out for a while? So don't feel like you're losing out on anything using the faster firing Normal guns to trigger skills I guess. Though apparently the new twin-barrel Ironblood gun is okay as a secondary for BCs that cant use CL guns because it's shells will hit suicide boats faster.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, AP guns are trash on destroyers.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Looking at the actual damage stuff since I saw that even with Z19/Z20/Z21's skill destroyer AP guns are still bad, it's surprising how bad they actually are against light/medium/heavy armor:
Normal: 100/50/20% damage
HE: 120/60/60%
AP: 90/70/40%

I'd almost expect that it's the result of somebody entering the wrong data, but probably not since the game has been out for a while? So don't feel like you're losing out on anything using the faster firing Normal guns to trigger skills I guess. Though apparently the new twin-barrel Ironblood gun is okay as a secondary for BCs that cant use CL guns because it's shells will hit suicide boats faster.
Because they are AP, those guns penetrate the first target. They are good secondaries on maps where suicide boats come in trains. EN is getting chapter 10 at the end of the week, and one of the maps (Jintsuu's if I remember correctly) has trains of 4 or 5 suicide boats in a row come straight down the middle towards your flagship.

Chapter 10 is where poo poo gets real. You cannot outlevel it, at least until they add they raise the limit, so your fleets take full damage, until they add the danger level system that reduces damage after you clear 10 times after the initial 100%. The battleship groups do huge damage to the backline if you let their salvoes through. You have to either cancel them with well-timed airstrikes or reserve torpedoes to instantly pop the battleships before they can fire.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Not seeing why you think they're trash with those numbers. They have higher ratios than normal rounds against everything but light armor and penetrate targets. And only a few destroyers, like retrofit Ayanami, have good enough barrages or shot-count skills to go for pure firing speed, and they usually get given one specific gun for that purpose.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maybe the Z group's AP buff makes things different but for other ships they just can't compete with the Eagle 5"/127mm DP (Single or especially Twin mount) and the Sakura 127mm Type 3. I admit I'm mostly going off the wiki numbers, so maybe I'm wrong.

Actually I'll upgrade one of the purple SKC 41s I got to the same level as the Twin 127mm DP I use on Cassin/Downes and fit it to one of them for comparison. They've got identical stats/skills so while I probably won't do a large enough sample size for a true comparison, I can at least see for myself to some extent.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
If you mean the DPS numbers, the wiki's DPS numbers don't take into account the burning from HE (destroyer HE has a very low base chance of burning, though) or the penetration from AP.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Good point, about the Overpen and burning damage. Though so far Cassin who I gave a +6 SKC41 has been consistently trailing behind Downes (who has a +6 Twin 127mm DP) so far in my grinding. Usually by only a few hundred damage points though.

This is them being used as part of the trash-clear fleet for me pushing through hardmode. So based on this I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Actually does the ingame damage stats account for burning damage?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Are there any specific ships that want specific equipment? I've pretty much been putting equipment on randomly.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Are there any specific ships that want specific equipment? I've pretty much been putting equipment on randomly.

Probably. The equipment in this game isnt explained well at all and I still just slap random poo poo on my ships for the most part. Each website you visit to find information lists different equipment as best (with almost none updated for english servers) so I just gave up.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I think this is the best equipment guide for new players. You can ignore any equipment that isn't on the English servers yet and pick the next best.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

I think this is pretty much the best gear guide because they explain the pros and cons of each piece.
http://azurlanesanctuarygrossweebskeepout.blogspot.com/

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Well I've gotten everything but Deutschland from the event in terms of ships, though I still need to farm points too.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

q_k posted:

I think this is pretty much the best gear guide because they explain the pros and cons of each piece.
http://azurlanesanctuarygrossweebskeepout.blogspot.com/

This one is now my current favorite if for no other reason than it clearly lists the name of each weapon and shows a large icon image with it, and the discussion for each item seems potentially helpful. All the other guides I've seen are just charts with small icons bunched together, which is efficient and good for quick reference when you're already familiar with the equipment, but also just makes my old eyes tired.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
That's a good site, thanks for posting it. I'll have to take time and read through it properly soon.

Between this event and Fallen Wings, Ayanami has turned into a hell of a beast. I'm just waiting for them to sell the ring package again then she gets the extra 9% from that.

She did well enough in PvP and auto with the 610mm launcher but with the homing gear she's just tearing poo poo apart.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I wish I saw that site before pouring tons of upgrades into a battleship weapon just because it was gold.

The honeymoon is over with this game though I still play it consistently.

The community is so bad it makes me second guess playing this sometimes, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you mean the comments sections on the ships, you’d see the same awful crap on any other gacha game if they had em.

The reddit is particularly bad/useless though.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Bell_ posted:

I wish I saw that site before pouring tons of upgrades into a battleship weapon just because it was gold.

The honeymoon is over with this game though I still play it consistently.

The community is so bad it makes me second guess playing this sometimes, though.

Just doing the dailies goes quickly so try and do those every day at least. If you can't be arsed grinding, buy dorm food with your excess oil and log off. By the next time you feel like spending some time at it resources will have piled up nicely.

Galg is right and you probably knew it too when you wrote that. Pretty much all game communities are toxic to a greater or lesser extent. Asian based gachas tend to be quite nasty from a western viewpoint due to the high quantity of very thirsty dudes, excited over anime titties and with some rather unpleasant viewpoints on women. AL is pretty good to be honest because it's so easy to disconnect and never see any of it - ignorance is indeed bliss. Many of this genre have global chat channels that are not moderated and can't be muted plus blatent rapey or misogynistic game text. As a bad example look at Girls X Battle. Or rather don't, it'll make you mad and it's a pity since the game mechanics looked interesting. Then again a friend told me it got bought this year and they really turned up the 'sex sells' angle monetising it till the whales cried.

BTW, if you didn't know, you can switch off chat in AL with a single click on the box.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I'm very much a casual player, just doing my dailies and maybe a couple of extra clears if I'm feeling it/there's an event running. Does mean that after ~6 weeks of playing I still don't have a lvl 100 and just got my first retrofit, but hey, I haven't burnt out on the game yet.

Seconding the reddit being useless unless you're hunting for fanart though.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The second clearance of D1 (takes a minimum of 5 to 3 star it) dropped Deutchland (who has an S&M theme for some reason) for me. Once I buy Gniesenau later I think that should be me done bar farming the shop dry and clearing D4 for the trophy.

I should make myself a checklist every event to keep track. I know the last page or two had a list for the drops at least.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm having bad gacha luck with only 2 Hippers and some Z19s :negative: (and a Takao and Illustrious but those aren't particularly useful to me).

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
What should I be focusing on for the event? Just grinding levels to hopefully get a good drop?

Also, what should I use my PTS on?

Catastrophe90
Apr 18, 2016

moush posted:

What should I be focusing on for the event? Just grinding levels to hopefully get a good drop?

Also, what should I use my PTS on?

I'd just focus on getting 14000 PTS for Tirpitz and the Quintuple Homing torpedoes first, then maybe grab the furniture. The gold gear can be found in T4 Ironblood boxes so they can wait.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The gold gun in the exchange isn't even particularly useful according to the guide that got posted:

quote:

Very accurate AP gun. But it's an AP gun.
Reload is very fast. Overall it's very similar to the purple Twin 381mm, except it's better in every way.
Fast reloading guns have a usage in triggering firing-dependent BB skills, but the AP ammo has limited usage.
Some may opt to use this for the skill purpose, but eventually the introduction of 381mm kai solves the dilemma by offering similarly good reload and HE ammo, making this gun somewhat obsolete.

e: although a gold gun is a gold gun if you're just starting out and haven't had much luck with boxes.

I was pretty happy to find out (when someone linked me this guide) that I have what's considered the best battleship gun, the purple Triple 406mm MK6.

I also managed to snag a gold Barracuda today, hooray! My Enterprise grows in strength (but still nowhere near where she could be).

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was pretty happy to find out (when someone linked me this guide) that I have what's considered the best battleship gun, the purple Triple 406mm.

For now that is the best-in-slot for battleships and battlecruisers that dont have a skill activation on firing their main guns, like Washington, or Queen Elizabeth.

For Hood in particular, and also Rodney, Nelson, and Arizona, you'll be better served with a 410mm for faster firing rate and more skill procs on average.

Edit: It's also very useful to have both, so that you can adjust the timing of BB pairs so they don't fire at the same time, the animation triggers a global cooldown and they'll get locked out for extra time if two battleships with identical guns and reload are ready at once.

postmodifier fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 20, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Got 2 gold magnetic torpedoes out of Ironblood crates. Those are the good ones youre gunning for since the special one doesnt drop and can only be bought with points right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Quints or Quads? The Quints are T2 while the Quads are T3 and will have higher per torpedo damage than the quints (and faster reload to boot).

The gold homing Quints are still very usable though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Both quints. Boo I thought they were the better ones.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Me too! Then I read that guide linked the other day and learned that rarity doesn’t always denote the quality, it’s the “Tier” of the item.

They’re still quite usable however.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Finally got the rainbow torpedos from the exchange today, since I already got the other two units and the Deutschland skin, I guess I can go for the furniture now which is much cheaper. The rainbow torpedos are very nice stat-wise but I remain unimpressed by their "homing" ability which seems to be limited to "swerve ever so slightly in the enemy's direction when it's two pixels away and then give up and just fly straight off the screen."

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Twelve by Pies posted:

Finally got the rainbow torpedos from the exchange today, since I already got the other two units and the Deutschland skin, I guess I can go for the furniture now which is much cheaper. The rainbow torpedos are very nice stat-wise but I remain unimpressed by their "homing" ability which seems to be limited to "swerve ever so slightly in the enemy's direction when it's two pixels away and then give up and just fly straight off the screen."

They're still better for auto play and PvP exercises - at least one will curve enough to hit something, even if it is off screen to the right. Standard spreads miss completely fairly often and some damage is better than zero.

I was going to try chapter 10 today but hadn't done 9-4 yet, probably with all the events demanding oil. My standard fleets, where one is carrier heavy all 100s and the other tries to get experience clearing the trash, barely managed to spawn and kill the boss (10s to spare). Time to get serious.

Warspite, Illustrious, Unicorn, Edinburgh, Yuudachi (98), Helena (99) - this clears the trash fleets no bother. Warspite keeps the suicide boats the van misses at bay and the 2 carriers heal/shield the van. Even when out of ammo, this will clear the red packs without too much damage taken (necessary for that 'destroy all defenders' star). Edinburgh is a bit beat up after doing all 12 but no losses.

Enterprise, Washington, South Dakota, Belfast, Ayanami, Leander retro - The boss fleet does a circle movement and the torps they spew out seem to be hard to dodge. I left it on auto just to see and while they won without losses with 1:40 left, the van was all under 50% hp.

With some gear swaps and more upgrades I can probably improve them a little but they're close to as good as I can manage.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Ratzap posted:

They're still better for auto play and PvP exercises - at least one will curve enough to hit something, even if it is off screen to the right. Standard spreads miss completely fairly often and some damage is better than zero.

I was going to try chapter 10 today but hadn't done 9-4 yet, probably with all the events demanding oil. My standard fleets, where one is carrier heavy all 100s and the other tries to get experience clearing the trash, barely managed to spawn and kill the boss (10s to spare). Time to get serious.

Warspite, Illustrious, Unicorn, Edinburgh, Yuudachi (98), Helena (99) - this clears the trash fleets no bother. Warspite keeps the suicide boats the van misses at bay and the 2 carriers heal/shield the van. Even when out of ammo, this will clear the red packs without too much damage taken (necessary for that 'destroy all defenders' star). Edinburgh is a bit beat up after doing all 12 but no losses.

Enterprise, Washington, South Dakota, Belfast, Ayanami, Leander retro - The boss fleet does a circle movement and the torps they spew out seem to be hard to dodge. I left it on auto just to see and while they won without losses with 1:40 left, the van was all under 50% hp.

With some gear swaps and more upgrades I can probably improve them a little but they're close to as good as I can manage.

Why aren't you using Helena in your boss fleet? Her debuff doesn't seem worth it to clear chaff that's going to die in seconds regardless.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

batteries! posted:

Why aren't you using Helena in your boss fleet? Her debuff doesn't seem worth it to clear chaff that's going to die in seconds regardless.

She's dies a bit too fast on the boss because she's stll in leveling gear. That was one of the swaps I was going to test which I got around to later. Helena and Leander retro swapped teams then move a lot of gear around to make sure the ships in the 2 fleets have all the best. That took a while and all my coins doing enhancements which I only noticed when it told me I'd run out.

Even then, the debuff doesn't get onto the boss for 23s (it spawned at 2:23, debuff at 1:20) and you can't control when they fire their skills off. In total the boss died 3s faster than the other way around and without the gear tuning. The majority of the damage is done by Washington, South Dakota and Ayanami (55k, 46k, 53k) and they probably just didn't coincide with the debuff.

Memu lets you video capture, I might try that at some point.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GamerNeJp/status/1077783870718668800

Azur Lane Cross Wave news.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I have no idea what that means or what cross wave is. Care to elaborate please?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ratzap posted:

I have no idea what that means or what cross wave is. Care to elaborate please?

Compile Heart is making a console Azur Lane game called Azure Lane Cross Wave

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Dehry posted:

Compile Heart is making a console Azur Lane game called Azure Lane Cross Wave

Funny, since Compile Heart is part of making the Neptunia games. But will the Azur Lane game be any good...

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

From the gameplay clips they have shown, all signs point to "Nope."

New event starts on JP/CN tonight with the battleship version of Kaga, cruiser Naka (sister ship of Jintsuu and Sendai), cruiser Ashigara, one of the Kamikaze destroyers, and battlecruiser Amagi. Amagi has the same artist and voice actor as Monarch. Her skills might be overpowered, but they would have to be for her to take a slot from Nagato/Akagi/Kaga. Hiryuu/Souryuu are getting retrofits too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm gonna loving die before I manage to farm Deutschland aren't I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Same, but Z35