Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m sure I read HDR isn’t enabled yet, which is obviously a big deal for some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thwomp posted:

Plex rolled out new experimental players to iOS and tvOS this week.

They ditch the native video player for their own custom one which allows for a wider range of supported file types.

It’s only available for Plex Pass users but it’s seems to work well. Less time to skip around, plays quicker, etc.

Plex Pass user here. How do I get this?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t get the plex app update until I updated to the latest tvOS update from yesterday (despite seeing the update in the tvOS App Store, weird).

Then it’s under the Settings tab in the app.

Also, yeah HDR support is coming but not there yet in this experimental player.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

Plex Pass user here. How do I get this?

When I launched it, it just asked me if I wanted to use it. I said sure. Haven't really noticed any difference.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Plex rolled out new experimental players to iOS and tvOS this week.

They ditch the native video player for their own custom one which allows for a wider range of supported file types.

It’s only available for Plex Pass users but it’s seems to work well. Less time to skip around, plays quicker, etc.

Never thought I'd see the day.

Here's a thing with the info: https://forums.plex.tv/t/early-access-for-plex-pass-users-to-new-apple-tv-ios-video-player/335439

quote:

What are those supported formats?

Right now, the new player can direct play the following formats:

Supported containers: mkv, mov, mp4, mpegts, mpeg, mpegvideo, avi, flv, ogg

Supported audio codecs: aac, aac_latm, ac3, alac, flac, dca, vorbis, opus, eac3, mp1, mp2, mp3

Supported video codecs: h264, hevc, vp8, vp9, h263, mpeg1video, mpeg2video, mpeg4

Supported subtitle codecs: rear end, dvb_subtitle, vobsub, eia_608, pgs, microdvd, movtext, ssa, srt

quote:

What’s in development?

We’re actively working on:

Improving performance.

Adding support for HDR playback.

Adding support for tone mapping when playing HDR videos in SDR displays.

Improved controls/gestures in the Apple TV video player.

Increasing device compatibility.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Supported subtitle codecs: rear end

Finally they'll be able to caption my posts

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PGS support is such a huge boon, it was getting tiresome having to find .srt files for forced English subs for some titles.

I’ve not seen confirmation that this new player can do remuxed files encoded with 2 reference frames which currently the Apple TV and Shield both fail to play back. I might have to resubscribe to find out myself.

Hopefully the only thing that’ll be left to conquer then is the crappy audio codec situation that Apple force on them.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm noticing a weird issue with Netflix on my Apple TV - I have a 4k HDR TV, and I thought that I had figured out Netflix's nomenclature for the different kinds of content they have. If it just has the "HD" badge, then the show is in standard 1080p SDR. If it has the "UltraHD 4K" badge, then the show is in UHD SDR. And if it has the "Dolby Vision" badge, then the show is in UHD HDR.

But lately, I've been noticing a couple movies that have the "Dolby Vision" badge AND the "HD" badge. At first, I thought that this was just a strange instance of a movie being finished in HD but also having an HDR color pass done on it. But when I check the same movies using my TV's internal Netflix app, it just says Dolby Vision, signifying that it is actually UHD.

My AppleTV is set to output UHD SDR and match frame rate and dynamic range. So when I check the resolution on the TV, it says UHD 3840x2160 regardless of what content I'm watching. But it's very possible Netflix is sending me an HD stream that is being uprezzed by the Apple TV. And since I'm paying extra for this tier, I'd like to make sure I'm actually getting what I'm paying for.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I've noticed it so far on Buster Scruggs and Mowgli. Yet some other movies, like the Kurt Russel Santa Claus movie or shows like Godless are still fine.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 11, 2018

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Will Apple TV somehow strangle third-party network access to keep an iTunes-purchased movie streaming?

Both PS Vue and YouTube TV were unwatchable this Sunday during the football game while kids were watching a rented movie on another AppleTV. I don’t know that the movie was the actual culprit, it’s just after the fact that I noticed it cleared up that night.
We have 75/75 mbps service and speed tests on my phone were showing good even while this was happening. Only thought about the possibility of throttling because of trying two different 3rd party apps, PS Vue and YouTube TV. I don’t think it was the stream itself because both were making GBS threads the bed no matter what I tried to pull up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

uwaeve posted:

Will Apple TV somehow strangle third-party network access to keep an iTunes-purchased movie streaming?

Both PS Vue and YouTube TV were unwatchable this Sunday during the football game while kids were watching a rented movie on another AppleTV. I don’t know that the movie was the actual culprit, it’s just after the fact that I noticed it cleared up that night.
We have 75/75 mbps service and speed tests on my phone were showing good even while this was happening. Only thought about the possibility of throttling because of trying two different 3rd party apps, PS Vue and YouTube TV. I don’t think it was the stream itself because both were making GBS threads the bed no matter what I tried to pull up.

As far as I know it does not. Even so you have plenty of bandwidth for two streams. Vue only pulls 4Mbps(ish) and an 1080p stream can get up to 6-7Mbps. 4K is going to eat anywhere from 15-25 Mbps.

The likely problem was the CDN for NBC (since it was both Vue *and* YouTube) not being able to keep up with demand.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 11, 2018

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm interested in Plex but only really as a music player. For the Apple TV app would it be worth the hassle? I've been searching around but almost every article or video out there focuses on the movies/TV aspect.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Music works fine for me. It’s sometimes janky but it’s come a long way.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to see the YouTube trending list in the Apple TV app? The stuff under the Trending tab in the iOS app.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Minidust posted:

I'm interested in Plex but only really as a music player. For the Apple TV app would it be worth the hassle? I've been searching around but almost every article or video out there focuses on the movies/TV aspect.

Not sure why you wouldn’t just airplay to the Apple TV tbh

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s only taken around 15 years, but finally All 4 (UK network) has an Apple TV app. Re bloody joice.

E: no livestream which is a bit crap but maybe they’ll add it in.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sellouts posted:

Not sure why you wouldn’t just airplay to the Apple TV tbh
I was mainly interested in an alternative to the rather bland “Now Playing” screen, but now that I see Plex looks basically the same I’m over it. Yeah I’ll be sticking with Computers mostly, and some Airplaying.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Huge sale on movies on itunes going on right now. Going to load up on cheap 4k content.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You aren’t kidding. At first I was sort of “eh, all the one’s I want I already have”

Then I noticed the Criterion Collection had all 6 of the Lone Wolf and Cub movies for $5 each. Thanks for the heads up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

You aren’t kidding. At first I was sort of “eh, all the one’s I want I already have”

Then I noticed the Criterion Collection had all 6 of the Lone Wolf and Cub movies for $5 each. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah at this point in my life I’m absolutely going to buy a movie if it’s 4.99. It’s a loving pain in the rear end trying to find things that are streaming so even if I watch it once or twice I’m still coming out ahead.

This is a good sale.

Edit: and drat I would buy this lord of the rings / hobbit trilogy but it’s not in 4K 😩

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 20, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah at this point in my life I’m absolutely going to buy a movie if it’s 4.99. It’s a loving pain in the rear end trying to find things that are streaming so even if I watch it once or twice I’m still coming out ahead.

This is a good sale.

Edit: and drat I would buy this lord of the rings / hobbit trilogy but it’s not in 4K 😩

This is a good time as any to plug Cheapcharts which goes through the iTunes stores and lets you filter by price, set wish list, and keep track of deals.

They drop movies to $4.99 all the loving time and yeah at that price point I’ll happily buy anything and everything I have a slight interest for

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah at this point in my life I’m absolutely going to buy a movie if it’s 4.99. It’s a loving pain in the rear end trying to find things that are streaming so even if I watch it

Same here. If it's a movie I really like, I'll pay up to ten bucks. It's also worth it to keep an eye on dvd/blu-ray sales. If a blu-ray goes on sale for cheap, I'll get it if it has a digital code. You can always flip the disc on the internet or give it to your parents.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I didn't see much in the $5 section that I would pull the trigger on, but drat the $8 section has tons of good poo poo, especially in 4K. Mad Max: Fury Road, Logan, Edge of Tomorrow, Unforgiven, all of the new Planet of the Apes movies.

Too bad I own most of those. Might buy Edge of Tomorrow though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Might buy Edge of Tomorrow though.

Do. It's really loving good.

It's basically Groundhog Day: The War

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Mahoning posted:

Might buy Edge of Tomorrow though.

Love this movie. The book is excellent as well.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Feeling really proud...finally got my universal remote to really replace the AppleTV remote. The AppleTV isn't as closed off as you would think. They don't make it easy, but it is possible to control it externally via IP.

Some highlights:
1) AppleTV will tell me if media starts playing, without me having to poll it. This triggers my system to turn on the receiver, tv and select the right inputs on each (not via CEC but custom programming). This is useful for airplay from a phone, such as mirroring or just playing tunes.
2) It will tell me when keyboard entry is available. This pops up a touchscreen keyboard on my remote for text entry. I can enter text that way or via voice by pressing the voice button on the universal remote.
3) Shows album art, artist, album, playing time, etc on the remote when playing media
4) Can scrub through the entire song/movie using a touch slider
5) Can swipe on the touch screen to mimic the AppleTV touch remote for moving around. This part isn't really good yet. Doesn't come close to the accuracy of the bluetooth remote yet, but I'm working on it. For now I just use the regular up/down/left/right buttons instead of gestures

This is all accomplished using something called MediaRemote protocol (https://medium.com/@evancoleman/apple-tv-meet-my-lights-dissecting-the-media-remote-protocol-d07d1909ad82).

I still need to improve the gestures and I'd say it is complete. Also, ideally I'd be able to detect if the AppleTV is in standby or not. Right now I can't tell. I can wake it from standby by sending a command, but if I could detect the standby state, then I'd avoid sending an extra command to wake it when not needed. Because I send the "menu" command to wake it, this could cause unintended navigation if already powered on.

This is the remote: https://www.crestron.com/en-US/Products/Control-Surfaces/Remotes/Programmable-Remotes/TSR-310

Overall I prefer it to the included remote, plus it prevents me from needing another remote around to charge and use.

poppingseagull fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 20, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I didn't see much in the $5 section that I would pull the trigger on, but drat the $8 section has tons of good poo poo, especially in 4K. Mad Max: Fury Road, Logan, Edge of Tomorrow, Unforgiven, all of the new Planet of the Apes movies.

Too bad I own most of those. Might buy Edge of Tomorrow though.

Oh drat I didn’t even see those. I’m definitely buying edge of tomorrow.

Also thanks for that site that’s a big help!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is a good time as any to plug Cheapcharts which goes through the iTunes stores and lets you filter by price, set wish list, and keep track of deals.

They drop movies to $4.99 all the loving time and yeah at that price point I’ll happily buy anything and everything I have a slight interest for

Oh it’s an app! That’s amazing thanks!

Still waffling on that lord of the rings set but it’s 39.99 I dunno...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No sign in for Charter customers is active now (but their app is delayed to next year). Seems to work fairly smoothly. I did need to sign out in the system settings but then I didn't need to sign back in.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poppingseagull posted:

This is the remote: https://www.crestron.com/en-US/Products/Control-Surfaces/Remotes/Programmable-Remotes/TSR-310

Overall I prefer it to the included remote, plus it prevents me from needing another remote around to charge and use.
What's the rest of the system you're using to control it? They have good looking hard button remotes too.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

qirex posted:

What's the rest of the system you're using to control it? They have good looking hard button remotes too.

Unfortunately...it's all proprietary stuff. I have a Crestron MC3 as well that is connects to. Their remotes only work with their own processors, without major reverse engineering involved. The software that runs on it is a mix of three things:

Crestron SIMPL (think logic blocks like AND gates with signal flows, proprietary program)
Crestron SIMPL+, a custom scripting language
Crestron SIMPL#, which is C# but in a sandbox

You can run straight SIMPL# on it, but that is usually overkill and more effort. I do easy things in SIMPL and more complicated things like SSL connections in SIMPL# or SIMPL+

They lock everything down quite well, it won't run unauthorized code. You can't just compile a .NET 3.5 program and expect it to run. I do this stuff for work so I get access to the necessary tools, plus got the MC3 and remote for free (~$500 each market price based on eBay). Basically, Crestron stuff is something you have to have a professional integrator install for you.

Of course, you can use any platform to talk to the AppleTV! This is just one example. People use Media Remote Protocol as shown in the link to automate plenty of ways.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Zero One posted:

No sign in for Charter customers is active now (but their app is delayed to next year). Seems to work fairly smoothly. I did need to sign out in the system settings but then I didn't need to sign back in.

Very cool. Unfortunately Verizon never got on board with sso either. I wonder if they are more likely to allow no sign in. Seems unlikely.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poppingseagull posted:

Unfortunately...it's all proprietary stuff. I have a Crestron MC3 as well that is connects to. Their remotes only work with their own processors, without major reverse engineering involved. The software that runs on it is a mix of three things:

I figured as much. I wish somebody on earth made a non-terrible programmable remote nowadays [Harmony is horrible].

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Along w/ the big movie sale that’s going on right now, you can also get get a $50 iTunes digital gift card for $40 from walmart.com. The code comes in the email. You can order up to two at a time.

I just ordered 6 :getin:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

qirex posted:

I figured as much. I wish somebody on earth made a non-terrible programmable remote nowadays [Harmony is horrible].

Harmony hub is cool and good now. Has a button to run macro to turn on tv, switch input to Apple TV, wake up Apple TV, then control Apple TV.

Creatron stuff is superior but if you just want 3 “make it work” buttons Harmony Hub will do it. I got my wife and parents on it and it requires no maintenance from me once setup.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sellouts posted:

Harmony hub is cool and good now. Has a button to run macro to turn on tv, switch input to Apple TV, wake up Apple TV, then control Apple TV.

Creatron stuff is superior but if you just want 3 “make it work” buttons Harmony Hub will do it. I got my wife and parents on it and it requires no maintenance from me once setup.

Hell, technically it can do 6 macros if you use the companion remote. 3 short press and 3 long press. Also each button can do something different depending on long press or short press.

I don't do that, but you can.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sellouts posted:

Logitech just nuked the local API for controlling the Hub from my home auto system (there’s a replacement, but I have no faith they won’t nuke that one too.). So yeah gently caress them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Harmony kicks rear end once you have it set up but it has the worst app I have ever seen.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I just got a harmony and it's working pretty well for me. But yeah the app isn't great but my issue is more with the design of the remote functions and less with bugs or things not working. I also have the elite remote and use that mostly and have no issues. Works great with Google assistant too.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I love my stone age infrared-only Harmony One but my wife couldn't stand it. Now it's relegated to hurf durf mancave use, and the living room A/V setup is just an Apple TV & soundbar with HDMI-CEC taking care of everything. She's much happier.:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had one of the Harmony Phone to IR blaster doodads that they dropped support for and became utterly useless. This was like 4-5 years ago. I think I’ve seen them do it with 2 more products since then. No way I’d get another Harmony device.

I think I only had that one for like 6 months before it was completely useless.