Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
FarCry 2, the peak of FarCry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just bought Celeste on PS4 during the last sale. What a hoot.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
The Lara Croft game was already GWG back in 2014 in case it seems familiar

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

God drat. The Spyro remakes look like a Pixar movie in 4K.

Absolutely amazing. Really scratching that mid 90’s Rare game itch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

God drat. The Spyro remakes look like a Pixar movie in 4K.

Absolutely amazing. Really scratching that mid 90’s Rare game itch.

The Spyro remake doesn’t run in 4K, although to be fair the same is true of most Pixar films.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Wow, you're right. Guess that says something for its art.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spyro remake is real good because the base games are the best platformers of their eras.

The achievement/trophy makers for each game clearly didnt talk to each other is about the only thing I can say super negatively.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
So Microsoft is offering 1 month of game pass for $1 again.

I'd like to play Ashen which I know is on game pass but what I'm not clear on is whether I could play it on my PC via game pass. Does anyone know?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rhaegar posted:

So Microsoft is offering 1 month of game pass for $1 again.

I'd like to play Ashen which I know is on game pass but what I'm not clear on is whether I could play it on my PC via game pass. Does anyone know?

I think thats how gp works

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I think thats how gp works

Not all game pass games are available on PC right now. I can't figure out if Ashen is one of the games that is.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Rhaegar posted:

Not all game pass games are available on PC right now. I can't figure out if Ashen is one of the games that is.

According to the details box on https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Ashen/achievements the game is a play anywhere title but the windows version is still pending so you can’t play it yet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ashen is available on PC but it's currently exclusive to the Epic store, the new rival to Steam.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played sone ashen...its ok if you dont have a real from game. Idk ymmv

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tekken 7 is horrendous looking on Xbox...I read it runs at 720p on one x and it looks it. Such a shame.

I said this I the other thread but I should’ve learned my lesson. Bandai hasn’t patched soul calibur yet and that has 2 minute load times still and Microsoft won’t refund.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

celeste for free is pretty wild considering its still only like 20% off in sales

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am enjoying Ashen as a laid back Souls game. It strips away some of the jank as QoL but loses a lot of the soul of Souls games. It is much less oppressive. Which is nice.

It also locks up surprisingly often. Which is really, really not good for a Souls Co-op game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ashen doesnt work gamepass for PC due to last minute deal with Epic. It was originally, and until the VGAs in fact, going to be on both platforms.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Does the Xbone do okay when it can't connect to the internet? I will be without internet access for a few days and I'm just wondering how well it works not connected. I have horrible memories of loving up whatever arcane ritual you had to do with Steam and being out of games for as long as I didn't have internet.

I guess one thing that sucks is that without access to the ability to have local saves, you pretty much just can't play Xbox 360 games. Anything else like that I might have an issue with?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Does the Xbone do okay when it can't connect to the internet? I will be without internet access for a few days and I'm just wondering how well it works not connected. I have horrible memories of loving up whatever arcane ritual you had to do with Steam and being out of games for as long as I didn't have internet.

I guess one thing that sucks is that without access to the ability to have local saves, you pretty much just can't play Xbox 360 games. Anything else like that I might have an issue with?

You’re probably fine for a few days, of course only playing offline-capable games. I think achievements might be weird too, for what that’s worth.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

afaik achievements unlocked offline remain in a special unlocked status until it goes online and confirms you got them legitimately.

I know this because I had some bizarre issue with Watch Dogs back in the day where the unlock status was pending for over a month and they all started batch unlocking over a month later while I was playing another game. :shepface:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That stuff doesn't sound so bad. The frustrating thing is, holy poo poo Xbox why is cloud saving the only option for 360 games that otherwise would be totally playable on Xbone otherwise???

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrNutt posted:

That stuff doesn't sound so bad. The frustrating thing is, holy poo poo Xbox why is cloud saving the only option for 360 games that otherwise would be totally playable on Xbone otherwise???

We have a console for people who want local 360 saves...

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The Ouya.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it kind of loving sucks that MS has effectively decided not to let you play Xbox 360 games on an Xbox One unless you are actively connected to the internet. But :shrug:

Also my updates tab in games and apps has been spinning for approximately twenty minutes. For the most powerful console in the world this thing is a real piece of poo poo sometimes.

Okay now I bought FH4 ultimate in the countdown sale and am trapped in an endless cycle of the "installation stopped" error. Why the gently caress is this thing such an expensive piece of trash?

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 22, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah okay however the gently caress this thing handles install/uninstalls is completely hosed. poo poo I've tried to uninstall remains persistently installed just to spite me, now I can't get anything to install on the internal OR the external drive, power cycling didn't help. This might have some horsepower under the hood but they apparently hosed up on some real basic functionality. I am at a loss and I can't seem to find much useful information via Google so I am left to conclude that I got a special possessed Xbox One X and I probably need an exorcism.

Oh and Forza Horizon 4 just doesn't show up in my purchased games. So that's cool. I'm sure it's some weirdness because of game pass but what the gently caress Microsoft?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Yeah okay however the gently caress this thing handles install/uninstalls is completely hosed. poo poo I've tried to uninstall remains persistently installed just to spite me, now I can't get anything to install on the internal OR the external drive, power cycling didn't help. This might have some horsepower under the hood but they apparently hosed up on some real basic functionality. I am at a loss and I can't seem to find much useful information via Google so I am left to conclude that I got a special possessed Xbox One X and I probably need an exorcism.

Oh and Forza Horizon 4 just doesn't show up in my purchased games. So that's cool. I'm sure it's some weirdness because of game pass but what the gently caress Microsoft?

oh dear, you have the installation stopped issue? well you're not alone, but it's been one year and I haven't found a fix besides deleting the game, rebooting the xbox and trying again. Do some deeper googling and it seems to be a issue related to the HDD needing replacement.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Are you just turning it off or are you doing the hard reset?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ethanol posted:

oh dear, you have the installation stopped issue? well you're not alone, but it's been one year and I haven't found a fix besides deleting the game, rebooting the xbox and trying again. Do some deeper googling and it seems to be a issue related to the HDD needing replacement.

Hahahaha wtf I bought this thing a month ago. God drat.

For the time being it appears the problem is "solved" in that I had to delete a bunch of poo poo off my internal and install there (despite the fact that before purchasing FH4 Ultimate I had the base version installed on the external via game pass and it worked just fine). Things I apparently cannot do now: install to the external drive, move things from internal to external. Playing the games that are on the external already though seems to be fine. If I need to replace the external whatever but this seems to be strictly an MS issue where they try to hide a bunch of processes from the end user to make things seem much faster and more convenient, but then it's just as fragile as a PC so you end up turning off the console or doing other poo poo when it's trying to install/uninstall/move things and starts corrupting poo poo or causing problems.

I'm really glad I don't have a data cap because I have a feeling I'm going to have to redownload some poo poo.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 22, 2018

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Hahahaha wtf I bought this thing a month ago. God drat.

the problem comes and goes for me as well as other people. It didn't show up for months after I got my box. Now it happens quite a lot, especially if I try to pause and unpause an install.

edit: I haven't tried recently, but one of the other symptoms of this problem is you won't be able to reformat the drive, it will always fail to start the process.

If you haven't gotten a screen yet that says your xbox can't boot up and needs to be reset, that's good sign too

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 22, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Beastie posted:

Are you just turning it off or are you doing the hard reset?

I did the hard reset but I still can't install to the external anymore.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ethanol posted:

the problem comes and goes for me as well as other people. It didn't show up for months after I got my box. Now it happens quite a lot, especially if I try to pause and unpause an install.

This is frustrating because this is extremely basic functionality poo poo that they are loving up here. I'm not trying to dual boot Linux on this bad boy or anything, I'm just trying to download the games I bought.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yeah I remembered some other problems associated with the installation stopped issue and edited my post from a few minutes ago, so if you don't have those you might be just facing the normal UI bullshit

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ethanol posted:

yeah I remembered some other problems associated with the installation stopped issue and edited my post from a few minutes ago, so if you don't have those you might be just facing the normal UI bullshit

The weirdest thing to me so far has been random poo poo that I've uninstalled refusing to go away. I had to uninstall FH4 four times before it was gone for good and I could try a fresh install.

But yeah based on the stuff you've pointed out I don't think my HDD is failing or anything.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

DrNutt posted:

The weirdest thing to me so far has been random poo poo that I've uninstalled refusing to go away. I had to uninstall FH4 four times before it was gone for good and I could try a fresh install.

But yeah based on the stuff you've pointed out I don't think my HDD is failing or anything.

have you tried a different cable for the external? Are the updates for it set to automatic? I know there's some weridness with their software updates - I had an early headset that just stopped functioning and took me a week to find out that I had to manually turn on peripheral updates to update the controllers audio drives when they swapped over to controlling the audio from the blades.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheAnomaly posted:

have you tried a different cable for the external? Are the updates for it set to automatic? I know there's some weridness with their software updates - I had an early headset that just stopped functioning and took me a week to find out that I had to manually turn on peripheral updates to update the controllers audio drives when they swapped over to controlling the audio from the blades.

Those are good ideas, thanks. At this point I think troubleshooting PC issues via Steam or whatever is more user friendly than this which is really funny. I know that game consoles are essentially just PCs running specialized hardware and custom uis, but drat has it never been more apparent.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It probably doesn't help that the original design was that you couldn't even uninstall things from the console, things just got purged as-needed based on whatever criteria. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if that still causes issues here and there.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Akuma posted:

It probably doesn't help that the original design was that you couldn't even uninstall things from the console, things just got purged as-needed based on whatever criteria. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if that still causes issues here and there.

If I were twenty years younger I'd have thrown a controller by now.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I dipped back into Halo 5 multiplayer, and it just makes me want BLOPS4 multiplayer more. I know PC got a special discounted version that doesn't include zombies, I hope that comes to Xbox as well eventually. I'll gladly pay $20 for the game sans zombies.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Akuma posted:

That was just the stupidest loving idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I've deffo uninstalled things only to have them remain in the menu for a while after.