Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CharlestheHammer posted:

There have been some quality of life improvements yeah the Gacha is unchanged but unless you are a completionist or want a specific blade it isn’t an issue

Cool. I don't know if the gacha ever bothered me except in the "welp guess i'm NOT completing this one" sense; I don't remember what, if anything, actually bothered me about the game.

Besides the English voice acting whenever anyone had to scream or emote, I do remember that. Oy.

What sort of QoL improvements? Those're always what I look forward to most.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ciaphas posted:

Cool. I don't know if the gacha ever bothered me except in the "welp guess i'm NOT completing this one" sense; I don't remember what, if anything, actually bothered me about the game.

Besides the English voice acting whenever anyone had to scream or emote, I do remember that. Oy.

What sort of QoL improvements? Those're always what I look forward to most.

Mainly menu stuff and the maps have been improved somewhat. You can also adjust some stuff like turning enemy aggression off. So you won’t get murdered by high level enemies on the map.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

If you turn off enemy aggression you are the world's greatest monster

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like you know you can sympathize and pity someone without excusing them. That’s like how most stories with a clear villian are structured.

Hell thats how XC1 was structured with you sympathizing with the Mechon who are actively genociding the Homs.
There are two issues; the first it is possible to empathize with a persons circumstances and not their actions. What happened to Jin is sad, his actions forgoes any pity or empathy. The game seems to think these are one in the same, that the villain who does bad things for understandable reasons does no real evil.

The second is the game has the lead character say he is willing/capable of looking past what has transpired. That is beyond empathy and into endorsement, Jin and Malos are literally advocating the genocide of all life and the lead is acting like there is common ground between them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

There are two issues; the first it is possible to empathize with a persons circumstances and not their actions. What happened to Jin is sad, his actions forgoes any pity or empathy. The game seems to think these are one in the same, that the villain who does bad things for understandable reasons does no real evil.

The second is the game has the lead character say he is willing/capable of looking past what has transpired. That is beyond empathy and into endorsement, Jin and Malos are literally advocating the genocide of all life and the lead is acting like there is common ground between them.

I mean Shulk literally does the same thing in one. Though I don’t think the game asks you to sympathize with his actions. I can’t remember anything that even hints at that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Finally bloody finished downloading again--decided to load up my old save first at least to see where I was. Start of chapter 5 apparently, shortly after getting Morag I think (at least I sure don't recall having her in party).

Oh god there's instantly way too many mechanics and numbers for me to drop in and comprehend after this long :psypop:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

Oh god there's instantly way too many mechanics and numbers for me to drop in and comprehend after this long :psypop:

Basically none of the more complicated mechanics matter until postgame

Break then Topple then Launch then Smash is the big one

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I didn't even use full Driver combos that much since Smash was always a bit awkward to do for me. Blade Combos are easier to focus on.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The AI also focuses on blade combos, so between starting and finishing a blade combo you may as well not even bother with driver combos.

The prequel DLC actually fixed this by letting you tell the AI whether to focus on blade or driver combos, incidentally.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i don't know the difference between a blade combo and a driver combo, but after loving with it for a bit there seems to be three systems interacting here. the first is where you push a button to proc an elemental attack (with quick-time for bonus damage), and chain successively more powerful ones together for BIG NUMBERS. the second is where you put together your weapon attacks to inflict successively more terrible statuses, like the other guy said with Break -> Topple -> Launch etc.

these two systems interact with some (most) blades having a beefy damage bonus while a certain status is inflicted. for example Pyra has double damage while the enemy is toppled so if you use Pyra to finish a level 3 combo while the guy's toppled he is just flat-out dead do not pass go do not collect $200.

there's also some kind of limit break thing where you hit + after landing some of those element combos and you go into timestop mode and drop a roadroller on the fucker for the biggest possible numbers

its a bit daunting at first but i really like it. i wish everyone would stop shouting over each other though.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Driver Combo is the topple thing.
Blade Combo is when you do big elemental attacks with a third elemental finisher, this is the one with the QTE.
Party Combo is the big slo-mo super attack.

Every time you do a three-step Blade combo with a big finisher, there's an element associated with that. That elemental orb gets added to the enemy meter. You can get up to 8 orbs added, one for each element.

When you do a Party Combo, the damage you do is based on how many orbs you added to the enemy meter. Party combos work by selecting one Blade on each party member to attack an orb. Blades will prioritize whichever element is the opposite of their own. If there is no orb the blade is strong against, they'll attack the one next in line on the left side. If you manage to break an orb, you'll do a lot of damage to the enemy but also get another round of orb breaking. The combo ends when you don't break an orb or break them all. Breaking more than one orb per turn doesn't give you multiple turns, so for maximum damage you want to manipulate things so you only break one per turn. It takes four hits to break an orb, but using a blade the orb is strong against will deal two damage. Since you only get three blades per turn and they need four damage to break, you need to strategically damage the orbs.

This sounds REALLY complicated but it's actually not. Once you figure out a specific order that breaks all the orbs, you can repeat it indefinitely as long as you keep using the same blades. A million pages ago I posted a guide on how to do the absolute maximum damage but I'll have to scavenge for it

E: I found it

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 21, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I just bought the DLCs and got about a dozen Legendary Cores. Should I use those now, or save them until I've got a bunch of boosters and good luck? I just don't want to use them and get another faceless mook blade because that keeps happening with my rare cores.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you're not down to like the last few in the catalogue you'll probably have decent odds of pulling a few Rares.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I just bought the DLCs and got about a dozen Legendary Cores. Should I use those now, or save them until I've got a bunch of boosters and good luck? I just don't want to use them and get another faceless mook blade because that keeps happening with my rare cores.

Up to you. Chances are most of them are going to be faceless mooks no matter when you use them. By the endgame you can abuse the hell out of the break->topple->launch->smash cycle to beat legendary cores out of level 100 monsters like they were pinatas, and rake in like 20 of them per fight, so don't treat them like they're irreplaceable.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Use them later. The way the core crystal system is set up is that the chances of pulling a unique blade decrease the more unique blades you already pulled. Early on you get a decent enough pull rate with just common and rare core crystals, especially when the game increasingly drowns you in common ones.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 21, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

On the flipside, legendary cores are barely increased odds at all. In the lategame, I needed to grind 300+ to pull Kosmos, and I never got Dahlia at all. Just blow them now, 12 is nothing in the grand scheme of things considering in the postgame you can just farm them in repeatable fights

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

also don't bother with commons once you start getting rare cores in a decent amount. IIRC the blade gacha is set up so that even if you are set to pull a rare blade from a common core, the game has like a 2/3 chance of taking that away from you and giving you a random mook instead

christ the gacha is so awful

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Use them later. The way the core crystal system is set up is that the chances of pulling a unique blade decrease the more unique blades you already pulled. Early on you get a decent enough pull rate with just common and rare core crystals, especially when the game increasingly drowns you in common ones.

i got like, three unique gacha blades so i think i'm good.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

a cartoon duck posted:

While the story obviously wants us to sympathise with Jin, I don't think that's necessary bad so long as the game doesn't go "and that's why he's justified in what he did and should get off scot free", which I don't feel the game did.

Worked better than Shulk suddenly realising that murder is wrong because Dunban tried to stop Mumkhar from killing people because he really loves murder only to have him slip on a banana peel and die anyway because he was no longer part of the narrative, anyway.

It’s funny you say this because I am replaying XC right now and am at Valak Mountain. I had completely forgotten the cutscene with Mumkhar at the bottom of the mountain, and I had also forgotten that he gets out of his robot armor to fight you. I didn’t remember that he still had a “body” inside Metal Face but I guess it makes sense considering Fiora and all that. I don’t even remember how he dies or whatever, it’s like he’s main antagonist for half the game and then he disappears

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

When can I start using 3 different blades? Game doesn't let me map a 3rd one to down on the Dpad. I'm still pretty early on in the game I think, I just ran into Zeke and he knocked himself off a cliff.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Slider posted:

When can I start using 3 different blades? Game doesn't let me map a 3rd one to down on the Dpad. I'm still pretty early on in the game I think, I just ran into Zeke and he knocked himself off a cliff.

The game will tell you when you can. I think it's after you finish your current chapter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's near the end of chapter 3 or start of 4 iirc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Roughly how far through the game is the start of chapter 5? I've got 25 hours on the ingame clock but I have no idea if that's meaningful or idle time anymore

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There are ten chapters in the game but 8 and 9 are like 75% long cutscenes

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The speedrun of the game where they skip all cutscenes is about five hours long, to give perspective on how much time you really spend on the main story as opposed to everything else.

Ciaphas posted:

Roughly how far through the game is the start of chapter 5? I've got 25 hours on the ingame clock but I have no idea if that's meaningful or idle time anymore

This might be a very minor spoiler but at the end of chapter six, something happens that really really encourages you to blow through a good portion of the story and basically place you right on the heels of the endgame. Granted, once you get there you can go back and explore as much as you want with no consequence (the game has no missables), but ch6-ch8 are all sort of back-to-back deals. So, if you're at the beginning of ch5, you're getting close to where the game really starts to push the urgency of the main story.

That being said, the game works in reverse in terms of how open and explore-able the worlds are. By chapter 5, you have access to the three main explorable worlds plus the archipelago. The rest of the levels from here on out have significantly less exploring involved and are structured much more linear. Exoloring took up a significant amount of my game time, so from that perspective you've really crested the hill already

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

What is the general role each party member is supposed to be doing? Zeke has been in my party for a little while now and I haven't been using him mainly because he doesn't have many blades and I take it he is primarily DPS role? Whenever I can I have been using Rex-3x DPS blade, Nia-3x Healer blade, and Morag2x Tank 1x DPS blade all with varying elements.

I'm guessing that pretty much any character can do any role decently well assuming they have the correct blades? My next question would be: How rare are the items that let you transfer blades between characters? I own both the base game/torna DLC so I still have around 8 of them in my inventory sitting unused. I'm in chapter 7 I think, Pyra just got kidnapped

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Nia gets all the blades with the longest animations so I get to watch Nia do that dance more

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Slider posted:

I'm guessing that pretty much any character can do any role decently well assuming they have the correct blades? My next question would be: How rare are the items that let you transfer blades between characters? I own both the base game/torna DLC so I still have around 8 of them in my inventory sitting unused. I'm in chapter 7 I think, Pyra just got kidnapped

One big thing to keep in mind is that every blade has a base stat associated with them that will boost the base stat of whoever they're equipped to, even when they're not the active blade. So, when you say 2x tank, there's two different kinds of tanks, Agility and Block. There's also two kinds of DPS, Ether and Strength. So, the best thing to do is to try and match the stat types. Right now, you don't really have a lot of options because everyone has 1/3 of their slots used up, but eventually you'll be able to swap out all blades, even the main ones. This allows a lot more freedom, like one really good build is giving Zeke three ether cannons. This also allows you to totally change roles up, so you could make Nia the DPS and Zeke the healer.

Overdrives are farmed by getting a level 4/5 blade to max affinity and then releasing them. Keep in mind though that eventually Rex will gain the ability to equip any blade in your party, so never overdrive any blades onto him. Farming overdrives is kind of a pain in the rear end if you don't get a good start on it now, but it gets slightly easier once you have unlimited money and high-tier merc missions

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah this game has overwhelmingly complex systems with 0 built in tutorial or help system, kind of baffling. When you say overdrive you mean blade transfer correct, that's all overdrives do?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Slider posted:

Yeah this game has overwhelmingly complex systems with 0 built in tutorial or help system, kind of baffling. When you say overdrive you mean blade transfer correct, that's all overdrives do?

Yeah, Overdrive Protocols are only for blade transfers.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like I missed the conversation but throwing it out there that I think Ahkos has the worst writing in the game to the point I don't think they ever had a plan for him. When you first meet him he's holding a kid hostage and talking about how he's going to chop off her fingers as a warning and is super sadistic. He talks in stage play format as a gimmick and feels cornball anime.

He literally doesn't do it at all again the entire game and when his final scene comes it starts trying to make me feel sympathetic for him as if he somehow earned that after having him threaten to kill a child early in the game just for evil bad guy laughs. He's such a loving trainwreck it's amazing.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah, the game has really bad writing in general. After watching that cutscene in particular with Akhos being like "nooooo I actually have a sisterrrrrr" I started skipping them all because of how stupid they'd gotten. Another telltale sign of bad writing that this game uses at every single opportunity is "you win a boss fight but then in the next cutscene you're losing."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The games writing is fine, not great but fine

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I feel like I missed the conversation but throwing it out there that I think Ahkos has the worst writing in the game to the point I don't think they ever had a plan for him. When you first meet him he's holding a kid hostage and talking about how he's going to chop off her fingers as a warning and is super sadistic. He talks in stage play format as a gimmick and feels cornball anime.

He literally doesn't do it at all again the entire game and when his final scene comes it starts trying to make me feel sympathetic for him as if he somehow earned that after having him threaten to kill a child early in the game just for evil bad guy laughs. He's such a loving trainwreck it's amazing.

Yeah he's the smug baby of HB and Wilhelm except he doesn't have the legitimate superiority of HB or the intricate scheming of Wilhelm to back up the talk. I could get him being an act 1 jobber, but we're supposed to think he's relevant for the whole game. I could get him being a part of the whole of Torna as "the brains of the operation", but Torna is mostly a smash-and-grab operation run by a charismatic but uncomplicated brute.

Akhos shows up, loses a fight, kicks Rex around in a cutscene for a bit, then loses to some new protagonist superpower he didn't anticipate. If you want to call yourself a "mastermind" in a Xeno game you should be fought once (if at all) at the end of the game and your last words should be about how you completed your plan anyway.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Does a blade have to be engaged in order to skill up their affinity chart?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Slider posted:

Does a blade have to be engaged in order to skill up their affinity chart?

Yes. Blades also fill up some nodes on their affinity charts when you send them on missions (doesn't work for certain nodes).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Quick question about Xenoblade Chronicles the first: does Monado Purge nullify Spikes?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Quick question about Xenoblade Chronicles the first: does Monado Purge nullify Spikes?

Yeah, but only for a short time. You basically want to spam it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

When is the point of no return? I just started chapter 8 and next main story objective is to go to the trunk of the world tree. I've just been doing sidequests here and there and exploring places I haven't been to yet, Rex is level 60. I feel like I would be better off progressing the main story until I get to the point where I can disengage main blades to be able to raise trust on others.