Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

paywall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Gazpacho posted:

so is that seriously infosys and wipro's game? I've already told infosys to shove off because they flaked three interview appointments in a row (and they're still spamming me about unauthorized applications), but I'm still talking with wipro

imagine a random idiot plucked off the street and given two weeks of introductory training in computers. that person will be your boss, and he'll be the most technically proficient of all of your coworkers. you will spend 100% of your time explaining to your peers how to do the tasks they've been assigned. if you're lucky, all tasks for your entire team will begin to be assigned to you, as this allows you to do the work directly instead of indirectly through your idiot peers.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Crystal Romans, a recruiter in North Carolina, set up a face-to-face interview with a job candidate for a position at a large bank. She confirmed the time, 8:30 a.m., the night before and had a colleague stationed to walk the candidate into the room. When morning came, the candidate never showed.

Panicked, Ms. Romans sent text messages. She called. She left the applicant a voice mail. Silence.

“It’s a running joke here of the level of audacity,” Ms. Romans said of job candidates’ escalating bad behavior, which frequently includes “ghosting,” or vanishing without a trace on the people trying to hire them.

“We don’t forget these things,” Ms. Romans said. “No one forgets.”

These are trying times for the nation’s recruiters. Once as popular as prom kings and queens—and often overrun with hundreds of qualified job applications for an open position—recruiters find their standing has shifted in the booming economy. Instead of vying for their attention, would-be workers blow off recruiters’ calls and ignore their emails.

ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiters report they are stood up, kept waiting for appointments and regularly ridiculed online. That’s because in the tightest labor market since 1969, job seekers have the upper hand, and they know it.

Ghosting—when applicants or current employees disappear and are impossible to get ahold of—has become so pervasive in the job market that the Federal Reserve highlighted the trend in its latest Beige Book, a roundup of anecdotal information about regional economic conditions.

People who have ignored a job interview say they have reasons for doing so.

Gabrielle Papa, a 29-year-old in New York, applied for a data analyst role in January. During an initial phone screening for the position, a company representative asked for her salary history, which she declined to provide, citing local laws that make such a question illegal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ms. Papa was invited to an in-person interview but decided the night before that she didn’t want to go through with it. She told the company she wanted to reschedule, and then did not return a follow-up call to set a new time. She soon got hired at a tech company.

“I felt very empowered that I knew I could walk away from something that made me feel uncomfortable, and given the market, I could stand a chance to find something else,” Ms. Papa said.

Corus360’s recruiting director, Kristin Miller, checks her LinkedIn account in her office. PHOTO: JOHNATHON KELSO FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

At Corus360, a technology-services company near Atlanta, recruiters have seen an uptick in people canceling interviews at the last minute; one person canceled a phone call three minutes before it was scheduled to begin, said Kristin Miller, director of recruiting at the company. Others fail to show up to interviews or, worse, leave a job only days after starting, without giving notice.

The headaches can have financial consequences. Chris Dove Jr., a recruiter in San Antonio, lost $9,000 in commissions in recent weeks after three candidates failed to show up for their first days of work as diesel technicians. All three completed multiple interviews, got hired, filled out HR paperwork and then disappeared.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It’s a lot like being punched in the gut,” Mr. Dove said. “Even though I got them all the way to the [hiring] point, I get zero dollars.”

The client, Mr. Dove’s biggest, dropped him after the candidates ghosted. “Somebody has to be to blame,” he said. “It’s just unfortunate that it’s me.”

Loren Boyce, director of talent acquisition at cloud provider DigitalOcean, has been recruiting engineers since the late 1990s and said hiring now is tougher than during the dot-com boom. “You want to bang your head against the wall,” she said, stressing that companies’ hiring managers should share responsibility with recruiters for finding great people.

She says she has learned to spot when recruiters on her team have had enough, and sends them home early. “Sometimes I can just tell that they’re done,” she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

A decade ago, many recruiters could fill roles by contacting candidates on job boards. Many of those sources have dried up, so now they look for untraditional ways to snag potential hires. It’s rare now to catch an already-employed person with the right skill set itching for a change.

“We’ve sat at our desks before and said. ‘Are our phones even working anymore? Why is no one calling back?’ ” said Ms. Miller. “You really start to wonder.”

Keturah Melton, a recruiter in Fayetteville, N.C., hires for positions that require security clearances at defense contractors. She will send 75 to 100 emails a day to professionals who may be a fit, with maybe 10% responding to say they aren’t interested. Most stay silent.

“I would say it’s pretty lonely,” she said, adding that when potential hires do express interest, some engage in never-ending phone tag or promise updated résumés that never appear.

One candidate recently cursed Ms. Melton after she called with a job opportunity for a systems-engineering position. “I hate you people,” she said she was told. “He was just saying the ‘f’ word: ‘This is so effing annoying. I don’t know where you got my résumé.’ ”

Before Ms. Melton could apologize, he hung up.

Longtime industry veterans are quick to note that job seekers may not hold so much power forever. “We could go into a recession,” said Laura Mazzullo, owner of the New York recruiting firm East Side Staffing, “and everyone’s begging for new jobs.”

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
the only use of the words salary, pay, compensation etc in that article are in the thing about asking for salary history

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

the only use of the words salary, pay, compensation etc in that article are in the thing about asking for salary history

its actually a complete mystery why they are struggling to get candidates. no one knows. top possibilities include their phones being broken and millenials being feckless

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
i’m struggling to figure out why after years of ghosting candidates the candidates don’t give a poo poo about our “relationship” and have started ghosting us :iiam:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

had a chat with a disney recruiter. from first impressions i don't think it would be a good time working there

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

KidDynamite posted:

had a chat with a disney recruiter. from first impressions i don't think it would be a good time working there
people inside of disney have been calling it mauschwitz since the 1980s

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pointsofdata posted:

One candidate recently cursed Ms. Melton after she called with a job opportunity for a systems-engineering position. “I hate you people,” she said she was told. “He was just saying the ‘f’ word: ‘This is so effing annoying. I don’t know where you got my résumé.’ ”

this could be the entire article

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
That would explain why the wipro reps reminded me 4 times to appear at each on site interview

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are at least three different scams called "consulting"

1. management consulting, from the old "big five" (now big four)

you already trust your accountants and auditors, right? why not start paying them for advice... on.... stuff.

it's impossible to tell what they promised you, or what you got out of it, but you have some shiny new binders on your desk.

On the other hand, for PowerPoint being a company's #1 product, they sure can afford some pretty loving swank offices and bennies. The MBBs are cool to work for, not pay.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

which one of those categories fits reducing most of your existing staff and replacing them with people that are employees but you get to manage them like contractors, i.e. the contracting firm you pool them from is the one in charge of all their salary and benefits and employment taxes -- like employees as a service?

that is both the indian megacorps and the "regular" IT consulting firms, if you want to pay enough

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Diva Cupcake posted:

On the other hand, for PowerPoint being a company's #1 product, they sure can afford some pretty loving swank offices and bennies. The MBBs are cool to work for, not pay.

they make most of their money on the accounting/auditing side of the house. management consulting is a sideline.

that should not be surprising, if you think about it. every company needs auditors. nobody really needs "management consulting," whatever that is.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fallen Hamprince posted:

wonder if i ended up filling a row in two different Rando Local Dumbass We'll Never Actually Hire spreadsheets

yep

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

i assume this is also where youd slot the big former giants of tech who settle on consulting once their prominence has faded (ibm, xerox, and unisys, and soon hp and dell)?

ibm is as much an indian megacorp as infosys or wipro, just less successful. in this day and age ibm gs is often the lowest bidder, and nearly all their staff are imported on h1b or l1 visas

hp and dell bought out large pre-existing it consulting firms. hp bought eds. i forget who the gently caress dell bought. both of them later sold their consulting arms because as it turns out, consulting is a terrible business with no synergy with anything

xerox and unisys do some consulting, but they also do a lot of nuts and bolts stuff -- like, send a guy to go fix a printer type stuff

--

edit: dell bought perot systems in 2009, and sold it to ntt data in 2016. so that means hp bought ross perot's first company (eds) and dell bought ross perot's second company as a response (perot systems). lol.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
here is a tour of ibm india campuses thanks to google image search. they seriously have 60 or 80 towers in india, 100% ibm. obviously i couldn't get photos of all of them

• IBM Karnatka

I love this one because it's adjacent to a brand-new golf course that was DEFINITELY NOT BUILT FOR IBM, because that would be graft.

This is funny because IBM closed the official IBM golf course and country club in New York in 2010. (Probably not enough executives or software developers left to buy memberships!)

• IBM Bangalore (1)

Bangalore is the de facto headquarters for IBM.

• IBM Bangalore (2 -- on a different campus)

• IBM Bangalore (3 -- same campus as 2)

• IBM Chennai (Madras)

this is a satellite office for ibm india, and it's still a whole campus

• Not pictured: Calcutta, Pune, etc etc etc

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 20, 2018

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

pointsofdata posted:

its actually a complete mystery why they are struggling to get candidates. no one knows. top possibilities include their phones being broken and millenials being feckless

I'll be the complete lack of awareness that this behavior is exactly what recruiters do when times are bad for working americans. "I sent out 100 spam emails today and only 10% responded!" cool, cool, so do you give a personal response to every applicant that doesn't make the first cut during a recession?

Ghosting an employer once you're already hired is pretty lovely though, at least send them an email when the job they thought they were getting was completely different (and likely much shittier)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Which reminds me, despite employers hemming and hawing about how hard it is to hire people... have any tangible changes been made to the interview process? It's still very much a "why should we hire YOU" conversation vs a "why should I work HERE".

At my current job, the interview process wasn't too bad, but it was 50 minutes of questions for me during the interview, with 5 minutes of my own questions at the end... for a total of... 20 minutes for me to make as good a decision as I can (which I didn't even use very effectively)

Are they really surprised that employees bail once they realize its not what they wanted? If they really wanted to change things why not be more honest and up front about the day to day

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Is LTI/L&T known to be an H1B scam operation?

e: lol yeah

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 20, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

here is a tour of ibm india campuses thanks to google image search. they seriously have 60 or 80 towers in india, 100% ibm. obviously i couldn't get photos of all of them

• IBM Karnatka

I love this one because it's adjacent to a brand-new golf course that was DEFINITELY NOT BUILT FOR IBM, because that would be graft.

This is funny because IBM closed the official IBM golf course and country club in New York in 2010. (Probably not enough executives or software developers left to buy memberships!)

• IBM Bangalore (1)

Bangalore is the de facto headquarters for IBM.

• IBM Bangalore (2 -- on a different campus)

• IBM Bangalore (3 -- same campus as 2)

• IBM Chennai (Madras)

this is a satellite office for ibm india, and it's still a whole campus

• Not pictured: Calcutta, Pune, etc etc etc

you are obsessed with india and it’s kind of weird

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
while we're naming names here's a helpful reminder not to deal with Motion Recruitment through its brands Jobspring & Workbridge. They're not known to be H1B fraud shops, but they do routinely waste people's time with bait & switch games and long intel-gathering calls/on-sites

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 20, 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
one of my fond memories from working within a company utilizing illegal employees-as-a-service 'consultants' was that sometimes when the company would go to them for a 'resource' it was pretty obvious that the firm had made up the guys resume for him and he probably wasn't even aware of what was on it

because at the end of the day, these companies metrics are asses-in-seats

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

im deep in the pipeline at a place, to the point where theyve contacted references, and i wish they would just hurry up and make up their minds one way or the other because yowza i want out

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

you are obsessed with india and it’s kind of weird

i have a normal level of interest in
  • the world's largest democracy
  • the major players in my own industry

if you think this is obsessive poo poo you should see how i treat the stuff that really matters

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

while we're naming names here's a helpful reminder not to deal with Motion Recruitment through its brands Jobspring & Workbridge. They're not known to be H1B fraud shops, but they do routinely waste people's time with bait & switch games and long intel-gathering calls/on-sites

that's just every external recruiter

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you think this is obsessive poo poo you should see how i treat the stuff that really matters

Enough about your shoe collection thou

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's just every external recruiter
it isn't, MR will dangle a job opportunity in front of you and then have you on the phone for an hour asking you for the location, company size, team size and pay rate of every position you've held for the past 10 years. They pretend to be a recruiting agency but they're actually a survey outfit

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 20, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fritz posted:

im deep in the pipeline at a place, to the point where theyve contacted references, and i wish they would just hurry up and make up their minds one way or the other because yowza i want out

if they're at the point that they're contacting your references you're p. much set

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Rex-Goliath posted:

if they're at the point that they're contacting your references you're p. much set

I had an opportunity turn into a rejection when one of my references spooked my prospective boss and I was unable to talk them through their concerns. My reference felt so guilty about it, they asked never to be used as my reference again, lol.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

alright scored an onsite

they're asking that i take a full day off for a 4-5 hour set of interviews.
guess it's time to study more algorithms and poo poo.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pointsofdata posted:

Does that sort of mistake matter at all though on a whiteboard test?
i mean, i got the job? 'matter' how. the interviewers had noticed and were relieved when i corrected it without them prompting

my typical process as an interviewer for whiteboard coding is giving the problem statement, waiting for a first pass solution or getting stuck, then jumping in and either hinting to get them un-stuck, suggesting test cases that the code doesn't handle, or if it's 100% spot-on extending the problem

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hey ya'll what are some good questions to ask during an interview to find out if a company is garbage

i'm totally blanking

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

hey ya'll what are some good questions to ask during an interview to find out if a company is garbage

i'm totally blanking
check the thread op

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i'm totally blanking

the pto one from the op seemed to go over ok for me yesterday ("4 weeks a year and yeah we all use it on the regular, no sick leave tho")

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

FMguru posted:

check the thread op

woops, thanks!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hrm boild water put my advice in there, which was specifically targeted to one poster and not general advice. besides it should be clear at this point that I have no clue about the interviewing process and perhaps software development as well. i think have have been doing something else completley

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
regardless, the questions i ask to detect hell companies are

what's your QA process?
- "devs do it, somehow" is bad
- "devs must cover >95% of the code with unit tests and then acceptance testers check independently" is desirable

how does code get deployed to production?
- "devs do it manually" is outrageously bad, even in a small company
- "ops engineers do it manually" is about as bad
- "we configure a well-known automated deployment technology to stage and then activate it" is what you're looking for

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

any company willing to hire me is a hell company. if it isn't yet ill fix that pdq

job offers in pms only please

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

any company willing to hire me is a hell company.
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Got an on-site technical interview at EA. This should be fun.