Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Samuel Clemens posted:

Aside from Angel Heart, are there any great horror films about a detective/police officer who goes to investigate a mystery and finds something supernatural? I guess In the Mouth of Madness sort of works in the same vein.

Does The Wicker Man count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Overall, fantastic movie. I'm really interested in everyone else's thoughts on it.

I think the thing that would've put me more in your camp was some more editing, I just didn't feel there was enough there to justify 2hrs 20mins. But the things you liked about it I definitely appreciated as well, they just didn't come together for me into a cohesive whole the way most of my favorite movies do. It's certainly a unique film in the serial killer sub-genre though that probably should be considered required viewing if you're into that kinda thing.

The violence itself wasn't what disturbed me the most, I've seen plenty of people shot or strangled in horror movies, but the aftermath of a lot of it really went to another level. The stuff with the kid aside, you really don't see scenes like what you have here where a frozen body in full rigor mortis is hauled back to a crime scene for photos or dragging a corpse behind a car until the entire face has been ground off and all that's left is the back of the skull. If anyone showed up at a theater thinking it was a mainstream horror movie that stuff is probably beyond what they would've been expecting. Although I suppose the word is out on Von Trier at this point so I doubt that happened to many people.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 20, 2018

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

It's been quite a few years since I've seen it, but I remember liking a miniseries called Ultraviolet. It's about a detective who learns about both vampires and a secret government agency that deals with them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The House That Jack Built was certainly a Lars Von Trier movie! It's sadistic as gently caress, but not in an entertaining way (at least IMO). It has a unique style and it's pretty meta (LVT even includes footage from his previous movies in this and repurposes it), but I didn't enjoy myself while I was watching it.

I've seen enough Lars Von Trier movies that I should know by now that they're deeply unsettling experiences. I don't know how I feel about them. I mean I guess they're well made and have a very distinct feel, but I don't know that I'd say I love any of them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Im 99% sure Lars Von Trier, Gaspar Noe, and Harmony Korine are the same person

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Nah. Korine is crustier and funnier and his themes feel more timely than LVT. I’m not as familiar with Noe it to comment.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Nah. Korine is crustier and funnier and his themes feel more timely than LVT. I’m not as familiar with Noe it to comment.

Apart from “would be provocateur” I don’t see it. For one thing Harmony Korine and Von Trier have made good movies

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AnonSpore posted:

Does The Wicker Man count

Personally it doesn't count to me just because nothing actually supernatural happens. And Christopher Lee even says straight up that the entire religion was only re-asserted as a way for his grandfather to get folks to the island in the first place so he could prove he was right about his cultivating prowess - the crops themselves were good because he developed crops hardy enough to grow well on that particular island at the time. He considers himself enlightened in knowing that and the science behind it but he and his father kept up the tradition out of actual love for it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wow, I didn't expect anywhere near this number of replies. That should keep me busy for a long while, thanks.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

Killing me won't bring back your loving honey!

But consider this: what if it does

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

But consider this: what if it does

They should do a sequel to the Nicholas Cage movie where it's just like two hours of the people on the island memorializing Nicholas Cage because they've had a solid decade of incredible bee growth since sacrificing him and then like halfway through the cinematography gets extremely bold and it's somehow a Mandy crossover.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

deety posted:

It's been quite a few years since I've seen it, but I remember liking a miniseries called Ultraviolet. It's about a detective who learns about both vampires and a secret government agency that deals with them.

Yeah I rewatched it a few months ago and it still stands out as really interesting.

Like I'd recommend it.

It's on Hulu.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Wow, I didn't expect anywhere near this number of replies. That should keep me busy for a long while, thanks.

The Horror Thread: and you shall receive it...in abundance!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Horror: There's a lot of it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

They should do a sequel to the Nicholas Cage movie where it's just like two hours of the people on the island memorializing Nicholas Cage because they've had a solid decade of incredible bee growth since sacrificing him and then like halfway through the cinematography gets extremely bold and it's somehow a Mandy crossover.

His sacrifice created the hallucinogenic wasps. There’s no relation between Cage’s characters though they just look alike by coincidence

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is "nick cage is incredible in Vampire's Kiss" a hot take

asking sincerely

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pomp posted:

is "nick cage is incredible in Vampire's Kiss" a hot take

asking sincerely

Not at all it's a genuinely brilliant performance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nicolas Cage is great in every movie he appears in, so that's never a hot take.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

Nicolas Cage is great in every movie he appears in, so that's never a hot take.

Imo a good actor is one who takes good material and keeps it good or makes it slightly better, but a great actor can take even garbage material and make it wildly entertaining.

Therefore, Nicolas Cage is a great actor.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I really liked the new Suspiria.

it is good.

Ballet and Berlin are basically just set dressing in the original but they're very front and center in the remake. Though I think they hammer the RAF angle in a bit too hard at times.

I still prefer the original but I think this new one is the best possible remake of Suspiria because it does it's own thing using the same basic story. It´s also genuinely disturbing and uncomfortable. I really like that for the climax they drop the dreary desaturated look for some pure red that would've been at home in the original. It gives it a lot of impact when you only see it in that one scene ( and kinda in the dream sequences)

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 21, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

I really liked the new Suspiria.

it is good.

Thom Yorke was so good as the dance instructor.

Ive used this joke before but seriously how has nobody acknowledged that Tilda Swinton and Thom Yorke are the same person.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kvlt! posted:

Thom Yorke was so good as the dance instructor.

Ive used this joke before but seriously how has nobody acknowledged that Tilda Swinton and Thom Yorke are the same person.

There is some real :ironicat: hidden in this statement if you actually watch the film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Choco1980 posted:

There is some real :ironicat: hidden in this statement if you actually watch the film.

Yeah, lol.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i dont know what that symbol means

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

i dont know what that symbol means

The "ironicat," in this case due to how in the Suspiria remake Tilda Swinton plays multiple characters.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Carpenter on Letterman promoting The Thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCduoZrNnlQ

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

The "ironicat," in this case due to how in the Suspiria remake Tilda Swinton plays multiple characters.

dude i watched the remake and i didnt even realize that

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jedit posted:

Possibly. There's been a certain amount of discussion on the subject, a lot of it revolving around the photo from 1921 and the fact that both Gradys killed their wife and daughters.

Basebf555 posted:

Ah, yea sorry I thought you meant physically two different actors playing the same role(which confused me because I think Grady only physically appears in the bathroom scene).

Anyway yea I don't have a real explanation for that, I believe in the book he's just Delbert Grady. I guess the most likely explanation is that the Overlook has basically erased his memory and he somehow ended up taking on a different name.

Interesting, I wonder if that was intentional or some weird rear end oversight in the script that no one caught for some reason. Probably the former.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Rewatching The Thing for the first time in maybe ten years. I’ve only ever seen it on VHS so the quality just seems out of this world.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

The Jo Bob Briggs marathon is tonight.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Look what my friend gave me for Christmas:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The Jo Bob Briggs marathon is tonight.

I have to drive 11 hours on Saturday so I guess I miss it again. One of these days I’ll catch it live.

Franchescanado posted:

:popeye:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is the Joe Bob lineup a secret again? Is that typically how he's gonna handle it going forward?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

andelazo posted:

Rewatching The Thing for the first time in maybe ten years. I’ve only ever seen it on VHS so the quality just seems out of this world.

From another world, goddamnit!

Kvlt! posted:

My thoughts on The House That Jack Built. Personally, I loved it. I think it's the best horror movie of the year, possibly the best movie of the year (tied with At Eternity's Gate) and by far Von Trier's greatest work. I'm just going to spoiler everything:

What I really found interesting is how at the end Virgil says to Jack that he isn't supposed to go to the lowest circle of hell, but one higher up (presumably the seventh circle of hell, for punishing those who commit violence) but at the end Jack falls into the lowest point of hell: reserved for those who commit treachery. I couldn't quite gleam who exactly Jack betrayed,

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on it.

I haven't seen the movie, but the outer ring of the Ninth Circle is reserved for those who slay their own family. That would probably explain it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

That’s fantastic

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Basebf555 posted:

Is the Joe Bob lineup a secret again? Is that typically how he's gonna handle it going forward?

Yeah, they've only said that all of the movies are from the same series. If they're actually going Christmas themed the obvious choice is Silent Night, Deadly Night, but I hope not because those sequels are terrible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I haven't seen the movie, but the outer ring of the Ninth Circle is reserved for those who slay their own family. That would probably explain it.

That's a really cool insight into Jack's character and his experience as a completely empty shell of a person. He sets out to be the most horrible person he can possibly be, as an attempt to find some sort of purpose that will fill the void. And even after he completes what he considers his life's work he's told that he hasn't fully achieved everything he wanted to because in order to do that he would've had to actually form meaningful relationships. He learns that you can't be a Ultimate Evil Superstar without being able to connect with people at least a little bit, and he just can't on any level. And so he is an utter failure.

The movie really is pretty funny the more you think about it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Von Trier seems completely outclassed in the genre by the likes of McNaughton, Kargl, and more recently Kurzler.

It’s well shot and well made, but it seems to think it’s saying something not already said far more effectively by filmmakers tackling this very subject prior.

Underwhelming, I’d say. I did enjoy the incredibly indulgent epilogue

Overall, it’s a lot funnier than you’d expect.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Is this the most iconic horror movie t-shirt by default? I'm having a hard time thinking of another one off the top of my head that would be instantly recognizable like that. Ed's "I got wood" from "Shaun of the Dead," maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

That's a really cool insight into Jack's character and his experience as a completely empty shell of a person. He sets out to be the most horrible person he can possibly be, as an attempt to find some sort of purpose that will fill the void. And even after he completes what he considers his life's work he's told that he hasn't fully achieved everything he wanted to because in order to do that he would've had to actually form meaningful relationships. He learns that you can't be a Ultimate Evil Superstar without being able to connect with people at least a little bit, and he just can't on any level. And so he is an utter failure.

The movie really is pretty funny the more you think about it.

I completely agree with everything here. I think that's really true, especially when you consider his "journey" at the end and the fact that all the philosophical talk happens he's still just a massive failure at EVERYTHING is hilarious.

Also the smiling boy was so darkly hilarious, just his expression had me cracking up.