Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Man, I sort of think the Daleks are silly and hard to make scary, but this is weirdly true! Some of the big defining moments for One, Two, Four, Six, Nine, Ten and Twelve are all Dalek or Davros related.

It's easy to forget after the poo poo they've been in, but the Daleks are a terrifying enemy.

When they're done right, they're smart, cunning, tenacious and most of all, determined. They share a lot of qualities with the Doctor, which the show has pointed out even in some of the more dire moments of Dalek appearances.

Because the core of the Dalek and the core of the Doctor are polar opposites. Where the Doctor, deep down, is a kind person, a person who wants the best for others, the Daleks are not. They are fascism made flesh. They are hate mongers, xenophobic, and horrifically amoral. Other races are at best slaves, otherwise killed on the spot.

But they have all of those traits above as well- it's why they rose up from being stuck on a dead planet in one city, to being able to wage a war across all of time and space with beings that have transcended death itself, and they were WINNING.

You go back and try to stop them from ever being made, and this is their goddamn response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjt3YFHJ17I

There's a lot wrong with the first Dalek episode of RTD's run, mostly due to the absurd jackass in it. But the Dalek and its relationship with the Doctor is absolutely spot on.

And they've earned that place in Who, both in universe and out. We wouldn't have Doctor Who without the Daleks.

So Chibsters, please. Don't gently caress this up. Doctor V Dalek is the prime time spot to show off your poo poo.

Because much like that above perfectly sums up the Daleks as a whole- gently caress Davros for the record-

This sums up the Doctor and her motivations at their core

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwVG3XuOU5g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvxUiPMfuyU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I clicked on one of the links in Burkion's post and now YouTube recommends I watch a video entitled "Doctor Who Season 11 Rotten Tomatoes score: The Whovians Have Spoken". The thumbnail is a bearded guy sitting in a room which is literally full of toys.

Now, if I click on this, am I going to get nothing but some bloke whinging about Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson's Chris Chibnal's SJW agenda? More to the point, do I really need to ask that question?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Remember when people thought this was a deep concept, meaningfully distinct from when Davis did it better a decade earlier?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

I clicked on one of the links in Burkion's post and now YouTube recommends I watch a video entitled "Doctor Who Season 11 Rotten Tomatoes score: The Whovians Have Spoken". The thumbnail is a bearded guy sitting in a room which is literally full of toys.

Now, if I click on this, am I going to get nothing but some bloke whinging about Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson's Chris Chibnal's SJW agenda? More to the point, do I really need to ask that question?

Yes. I saw one recommendation that was something like how S11 has the worst ratings ever because it's "too PC".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fandoms are a horrible mistake

Shame we live in a paradox where we can never escape them

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

I'm really rooting for Chibnall to get it right. It would elevate this past series as a whole if he can honestly pull this off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, all fandoms are bad. There's plenty of good fans of things, mind you, but I don't think there's any good fandoms.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
If there are any lovely strains of MST3K fandom, please don't tell me about them

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Well, you'll never guess which political party Mike Nelson votes for

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

If there are any lovely strains of MST3K fandom, please don't tell me about them

Take a gander at any Facebook post regarding the new Tom Servo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

2house2fly posted:

And Joel Hodgson!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

sorry but the absurd jackass in dalek is great

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

2house2fly posted:

i already knew, that's kind of stretching the

The_Doctor posted:

And Joel Hodgson!

gently caress, i didn

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Take a gander at any Facebook post regarding the new Tom Servo

GOD drat IT PEOPLE WHAT DID I JUST SAY

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

gently caress, i didn

To give another soul-crushing example;
This week the guy in charge of Hasbro’s Star Wars toy division was promoted and given a new position that oversees more than just SW toys. The official Star Wars site posted an interview with his replacement, who happened to be a woman, and in it they said all the same kind of things about the toy line that the previous guy had said, gave info about upcoming stuff etc. Really nothing even notable aside from a changing of the guard. I’ll give you three guesses as to what an absolutely embarrassing number of the Facebook comments on that post were whining about.

So yes, when people lose their poo poo over a woman being put in charge of toys, I have no problem assuming there’s a toxic portion of the fanbase for literally anything. There’s probably angry, toxic Jeopardy! fans out there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress, i didn

(The answer is that Mike isn't as bad as that makes it sound and Joel hasn't ever commented on his politics that I'm aware of, but has always held extremely leftist, Hippie views. Like if Mr. Rogers smoked pot)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

terrible rehash of a much better episode

"Invisible Enemy" gets points for sheer loopiness, but I wouldn't call it a "much" better episode by any means.

Bicyclops posted:

Some of the big defining moments for One, Two, Four, Six, Nine, Ten and Twelve are all Dalek or Davros related.

The episode that established Seven as the Chessmaster Doctor was "Remembrance." :colbert:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Burkion posted:

(The answer is that Mike isn't as bad as that makes it sound and Joel hasn't ever commented on his politics that I'm aware of, but has always held extremely leftist, Hippie views. Like if Mr. Rogers smoked pot)

Yeah, my point was I'm not bothered by any of their political affiliations because it hasn't filtered into MST/RiffTrax in any way and it's not like there's a toxic subset of the fandom based around that. And of any of them, the most politically vocal ones seem to be Frank (liberal) and Bill (very left).

I think the most political I've ever heard any of them be in a riff was at a Cinematic Titanic live show where the movie opened with a nuclear explosion; Mary Jo riffed something like "Michelle Bachmann's first day in the Oval Office!"

The Facebook convos about Baron Vaughn, though, ugh, I still don't want to know.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Remember when people thought this was a deep concept, meaningfully distinct from when Davis did it better a decade earlier?

I know this isn't really spoiler territory, but there's something that's been nagging me ever since the last Christmas Special came out... why the gently caress did Rusty decide that he should actually kill the Doctor at that point??!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's honestly kinda depressing to see those videos pop up in "recommendations", because, yeah, you can tell their argument isn't going to be about the quality of the writing itself, but that it's "way too PC Multural Carxist SJW :byodood:" brainspiders clap trap.

And ignoring that it's been open about inclusivity since the revival (not to be dismissive of the Classic series - but it's less clear cut); sometimes it's fumbled with that, but it's mostly been about openess and accepting people as people. It's amusingly pathetic that still, some people can't get over a time-travelling space wizard being a woman.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The hate for new Gypsy in MST3K circles drains my soul

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, my point was I'm not bothered by any of their political affiliations because it hasn't filtered into MST/RiffTrax in any way and it's not like there's a toxic subset of the fandom based around that. And of any of them, the most politically vocal ones seem to be Frank (liberal) and Bill (very left).

It hasn't gone into RiffTrax but it's been hard for me to stay a Mike fan after he came to my university around 15 years ago and was extremely homophobic. And I don't mean in a telling homophobic way, I mean pulling gay students over and telling them seriously that they were sinners and would be going to hell.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I know this isn't really spoiler territory, but there's something that's been nagging me ever since the last Christmas Special came out... why the gently caress did Rusty decide that he should actually kill the Doctor at that point??!

Probably because he's a complete psycho whackjob

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, he's been inside Rusty's mind, obviously Rusty would know that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bicyclops posted:

The hate for new Gypsy in MST3K circles drains my soul

I don't like how Gypsy hangs from the ceiling now. Does this make me a bad person? FLOOR OR NOTHING!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

I don't like how Gypsy hangs from the ceiling now. Does this make me a bad person? FLOOR OR NOTHING!

:agreed:

I also don’t like any of her theater riffs thus far because none of them have landed.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You guys are loving weird.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:agreed:

I also don’t like any of her theater riffs thus far because none of them have landed.

Now you're Mr. Cabinet might be one of my favorite off the cuff riffs from season 11, so I can't agree

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Now you're Mr. Cabinet might be one of my favorite off the cuff riffs from season 11, so I can't agree

"Now you're MR. Cabinet!' is definitely a god tier riff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I got confused here and thought we were talking about Journey's End

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
13’s been pissed, but hasn’t faced a tough decision yet. Hopefully the Dalek’s on train tracks while a speeding train comes along, and five other Daleks are on the other track. Or something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I got confused here and thought we were talking about Journey's End

I still don’t entirely understand what is being referenced here. Regeneration into the hand?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

13’s been pissed, but hasn’t faced a tough decision yet. Hopefully the Dalek’s on train tracks while a speeding train comes along, and five other Daleks are on the other track. Or something.

https://youtu.be/pZ40SwbbJwQ

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I still don’t entirely understand what is being referenced here. Regeneration into the hand?

the good dalek shooting at 12 in the last christmas special

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dabir posted:

the good dalek shooting at 12 in the last christmas special

Ohhh, I thought “Rusty” in this case was referring to Davies.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait to see Tim Shaw dressed as a Dalek trying once again to get his revenge

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Apparently this is the Dalek from the NY special. It’s a new style one, but painted silver with blue bumps like a Hartnell classic.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm sceptical that they'd do so little to redesign it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Supposedly there's a track in the soundtrack called "Rebuilt" and the theory floating around is that the Dalek in that picture is the Dalek as it fell to Earth, and that in the episode it's gonna rebuild itself (therefore getting a new design).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

cargohills posted:

I'm sceptical that they'd do so little to redesign it.

Well, the last Dalek redesign didn't go too well