Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That hand drawn animated style always sacrifices hitbox perspicacity, definitely a trade off

Yeah, that too. I might be conflating floaty controls for bad hit boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Imagined posted:

Didn't Owlboy take like ten years to make, too?

You're thinking of Owlboyhood

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

My mechanical engineer brain is concerned about what that's going to do to the USBC port on the console over time. The angle and center of gravity of the console is going to enact continuous force in the transverse direction at the port where the OEM dock doesn't.

It's fine dude.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You're thinking of Owlboyhood

Well done :golfclap:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I haven't played Cuphead but every video I see of it, it doesn't actually look that hard. It looks completely fair. Does it only look that way? Everytime I see someone doing terribly I feel like I can see exactly where they hosed up, not the game. It doesn't look as hard as, say, Mega Man 1, which I can beat without being hit (this is mostly due to repetition and muscle memory though). PS Rock Monster is always buster only

I beat it, and if I can it is pretty manageable. There were three or four bosses that gave me trouble, but the art and music are worth it in any case.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So you get to look at more of the blank black screen with less protection for the decive.

Cool?

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Genki trip report:

- The packaging really is nice, they did a great job with it.
- Form factor is OK but ultimately I don’t care too much about this; my switch already looks like Frankenstein’s monster between the Hori d-pad joycon and the Satisfye which live on it 100% of the time it’s out of the dock.
- Setup is both easy and flawless; you just plug, pair, and play.
- APTX-LL is basically a must if you want lag free playback. I was hoping to be able to use it with my AirPods, but I had a set of cans which support LL and after trying those there’s no going back. AirPods are probably fine if frame-perfect synchronization isn’t necessary, though.
- I’m very glad I spent the extra $10 on the stand

I haven’t tried pass through charging or the microphone yet, but so far no complaints whatsoever.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope SNES gets added to the Online library soon. Starting with SNES would have been a thousand times better. The quality of most of those games is timeless whereas most NES have aged really badly. SNES/GBA is the way to go if you want to craft a great retro roster.

Actually I'd probably buy a GBA Classic Day 1 if it came with Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis and same with an N64 Classic including Ogre Battle 64.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

For those concerned, it's well engineered. There are vents to allow convection cooling. The Switch itself sits in and against the cradle. The USB-C male end has no lateral forces applied, only the standard insertion and removal as designed.

It even makes use of the channel on the rear of the Switch to align the device onto the port.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

No. 6 posted:

For those concerned, it's well engineered. There are vents to allow convection cooling. The Switch itself sits in and against the cradle. The USB-C male end has no lateral forces applied, only the standard insertion and removal as designed.

It even makes use of the channel on the rear of the Switch to align the device onto the port.

I still dont get it. The regular dock is the size of the screen. The screen doesnt do anything when docked...

This goes back farther making an overall larger footprint. Cables sticking out of the side going to be ugly too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's travel sized, which I can appreciate, but the regular one ain't too bad anyway

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Back during pre-release hype I wished that the Switch was secured in the dock like a giant DS cartridge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I’m away for a week or so and considered taking my dock but it just felt like it’d take up too much space and possibly get damaged. That thing looks better from a travel POV for sure.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oscar Wild posted:

It's a much less deep Mega Man. It looks great, but only controls ok, I found it a little floaty for the punishment you take if you make a mistake. There just isnt a lot of substance under the gorgeous style.

Cuphead doesn't play anything like Mega Man. It's way closer to Contra, also it's really good

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

I still dont get it. The regular dock is the size of the screen. The screen doesnt do anything when docked...

This goes back farther making an overall larger footprint. Cables sticking out of the side going to be ugly too.

Put it in your pocket my dude. Also, cables come out of the official dock case too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I’m away for a week or so and considered taking my dock but it just felt like it’d take up too much space and possibly get damaged. That thing looks better from a travel POV for sure.

I've traveled with it several times. It's really light and you can just cram a pair of underwear or some socks in it or something in your suitcase and it doesn't take up much space and gets support from bending/crushing.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The standard dock is about the size of a 400-500 page mass market paperback book. I don't see the problem or inconvenience in traveling with it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I personally am happy to save the 700 cubic cm of space.I thought that it might be useful for anyone wanting the same. If you don't see a need, keep doing what you are.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And I can't see why children love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Look Sir Droids posted:

The standard dock is about the size of a 400-500 page mass market paperback book. I don't see the problem or inconvenience in traveling with it.

I don't think you understand just how little people can be arsed to carry a device designed for maximum stability and screen protection for their USD $300 children's Millenial rooftop party toy.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

No. 6 posted:

Put it in your pocket my dude.

Don't put in your pocket. It's your lucky dock

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hi. Is this the docking thread?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Bideo James, The Funny Way to Say "Video Games" › Nintendo Switch: It's never small enough for my suitcase

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I don't dock. I usually play solo, handheld.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't dock. I usually play solo, handheld.

I dock about once a week usually, it's a lot better than solo handheld but ya know it's hard for everyone's mood and energy levels to line up perfectly.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bombadilillo posted:

And for people with kids and pets, knocking it hard backward or forwards for that matter is a scary thought. These designs seem like they are meant to trick people into buying a "modern appearing" dock that is small, but it's just a gimmick that creates new problems and ugliness.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The Bloop posted:

:wink:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

I could've sworn the game got good reviews when it first came out. This description actually makes it seem interesting. How's the actual gameplay? Does it have decent platforming mechanics?

The actual gameplay is not particularly great. Theres not much of it, its interupted constantly by more your character getting poo poo on, and is never exactly precise. For me the highlight is that the games central mechanics are taken away from you for the last 1/3rd of the game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

configuring my toaster into a dock so that every time i play docked my switch comes out nice and crispy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

configuring my toaster into a dock so that every time i play docked my switch comes out nice and crispy

Why don't we just completely circle back to why we should stick our Switches in the oven?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why don't we just completely circle back to why we should stick our Switches in the oven?

Someone has to keep your Xbox 360 company.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

CYBEReris posted:

Toaster is less hot than my old xbox 360

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I still think that the Switch should have had separate power and HDMI connectors like everything else ever made that connects to a TV, so that the dock could be optional. The dock wouldn't be any less convenient to use, and if you wanted to play on a TV at a friend's house you wouldn't need to bring anything but the Switch itself.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

No. 6 posted:

Put it in your pocket my dude. Also, cables come out of the official dock case too.

They come out the cutout backwards and are hidden. These come out the side.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m actually glad I didn’t in the end as it probably would’ve put my over my limit I was so close. Time to load up a 50lb backpack for the journey home...

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Paperback books are solid. If weight is applied to a book there is an effectively non-zero chance it's going to snap. If weight is applied to the dock there is a real chance it's going to snap. It's quite evident why traveling with the dock isn't ideal. Surely you've given thought to how items may or may not break when packed for traveling?

CYBEReris posted:

How does this affect the matte finish?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Three wise men brought Jesus the gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Then I rode in on my cool motorcycle and did a back flip while handing Jesus a Switch and he threw all those other garbage gifts to the ground cause the Switch is good. That is my Holiday tale for the Switch thread

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Three wise men brought Jesus the gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Then I rode in on my cool motorcycle and did a back flip while handing Jesus a Switch and he threw all those other garbage gifts to the ground cause the Switch is good. That is my Holiday tale for the Switch thread

I bet he still had that poo poo dock that is the size of a shipping container and will snap in half the second you put it in your suitcase

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The Bloop posted:

I bet he still had that poo poo dock that is the size of a shipping container and will snap in half the second you put it in your suitcase

lol if you think jesus plays docked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

The Bloop posted:

You put a book in the dock slot. A book that fits well in the dock is Celest Ng’s Everything I Never Told You, US paperback edition. A book I have not yet read but have taken on three business trips for the express purpose of keeping the dock straight.

Books are cool- for protecting your video games.