Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Imagine a subway but with almost no capacity and it's only for rich people

quote:

Seriously, Elon Musk? Are You Kidding Me With This Tunnel? What Is This?

Elon Musk’s vision for the future of mass transit has arrived, and it’s amazing.

Amazing that America’s favorite polymath, a man who is simultaneously launching rockets into space and working to abolish the internal combustion engine, could devote so much time and energy to a project that amounts to a Rube Goldberg machine for getting from here to there. (Underground. Tracks. Wheel attachments. Car elevators.)

On Tuesday, Musk invited celebrities and journalists into the mile-long tunnel his Boring Company has dug in Hawthorne, California, where they were driven in a Tesla along a track at 50 miles per hour. Like a car but without the freedom of movement, like a train without capacity, Musk’s creation is the transportation hybrid from hell.

From Laura Nelson at the Los Angeles Times:

The trip through the tunnel took about two minutes, illuminated by the car’s headlights and a strip of blue neon lights tacked to the ceiling. The car rode on two molded concrete shelves along the wall, which were so uneven in places that it felt like riding on a dirt road.”

In Curbed, Alissa Walker describes Musk at his Muskiest, delivering off-the-cuff riffs about his plans for the project. Gone are the “skate pods” that were set to carry pedestrians and vehicles. (Remember when this project was all about public transit?) In their place are “tracking wheels” to hold the car in place.

One recurring joke in media coverage of Silicon Valley is the conceit that the nation’s recipients of venture capital money are merely rebranding tried-and-true concepts with sans-serif fonts and Facebook integration. (Congratulations Lyft, you invented a bus.) This is not an iteration of that joke. This is a bona fide new idea that is so evidently a downgrade in transportation and mobility it’s no surprise no one thought of it before. A car! On a track! Underground!

Remember the Nickolodeon television show CatDog, in which one lovable, crazy creature was composed of the front of a cat and the front of a dog? Imagine CatDog, but instead with the animals’ butts. Musk has melded the train and the car to create the transportation equivalent of butt-butt.

Musk claims the next step for his tunnel is transporting 4,000 vehicles an hour at 155 mph—or more than one car passing each second at twice the highway speed limit. Look, he’s the rocket scientist, but does that seem plausible to you?

Even if that were possible, and every car were full, Musk would be moving 20,000 people an hour along a fixed track from Point A to Point B—about half what the London Underground’s Victoria Line can manage today. Which raises the question: If your goal is to move a large number of people from Point A to Point B, underground, well … maybe Elon needs to take a vacation to London.

As hard as it is to imagine such a system in operation, it’s even harder to imagine the network of light-speed elevator shafts that would be required to lift and let down a vehicle every second. Or the ramps required to allow those vehicles to accelerate to join the flow of traffic … or the means of egress in case of an accident … or, or, or. Why are we still talking about this?

There is one arena in which to hold out hope, however: that Musk has made a substantial advance in tunnel technology. He has not fulfilled his promise to tunnel faster—the 6,000-foot tunnel took 18 months to dig, a distance that a state-of-the-art tunnel-boring machine could clear in eight.

But he may have done so at a bargain price: a measly $10 million, he says. But that doesn’t include research, development, or equipment, according to the Los Angeles Times, and it’s not clear if it includes land acquisition or labor. (Musk has been using SpaceX to fund the Boring Company, to the consternation of some of the former company’s investors, according to the Wall Street Journal.)

In conclusion, urban transportation is not rocket science.

I'm sure that Elon Musk has never even seen a subway before so he probably thinks "what if you you're in a car, but like, underground" is a groundbreaking concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The fact that a legitimately good and cool space company is going to end up shitfucked by the megalomania and continued decline of Musks grasp on reality is really frustrating. :argh:

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
celebrity technology man... bad??? :negative:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Long-un posted:

celebrity technology man... bad??? :negative:

Honestly the author of this article is just an idiot who doesn't understand the difference between a subway and essentially an underground railed superhighway.

"Oh just build trains that go over the road" people say but in reality nobody is loving parking and riding them in places like Los Angeles which is why this tunnel came about. It's not going to be useful anywhere else.

Way too many people are too excited to see Musk fall on his face, because I guess people hate anyone trying to actually do something.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 22, 2018

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly the author of this article is just an idiot who doesn't understand the difference between a subway and essentially an underground railed superhighway.

"Oh just build trains that go over the road" people say but in reality nobody is loving parking and riding them in places like Los Angeles which is why this tunnel came about. It's not going to be useful anywhere else.

Way too many people are too excited to see Musk fall on his face, because I guess people hate anyone trying to actually do something.

There is a huge difference (and a difference that will impact traffic big time) between driving somewhere and emerging with your car already and parking to ride a packed loving subway and emerging sans car on the other side.

you're right. one way is public transportation, the other is a dumber loving way to use your car.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Cool bro

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

you're right. one way is public transportation, the other is a dumber loving way to use your car.

quote:

Even if that were possible, and every car were full, Musk would be moving 20,000 people an hour along a fixed track from Point A to Point B—about half what the London Underground’s Victoria Line can manage today. Which raises the question: If your goal is to move a large number of people from Point A to Point B, underground, well … maybe Elon needs to take a vacation to London.

There is a huge difference (and a difference that will impact traffic big time) between driving somewhere and emerging with your car already and parking to ride a packed loving subway and emerging sans car on the other side. From a time and convenience issue: In reality getting on a train requires finding a place to park (10-15 mins), waiting for the train (5-15 mins), waiting for the train to make all it's stops while en route to your destination, then walking to a connecting form of mass transit and waiting for a bus to where you are actually going (another 10-20 mins).

If people can't understand why just driving into Point A and emerging in Point B is a lot different I don't know what to say. Wanting to save like 30 mins of screwing around with public transportation minimum and actually having a car at your destination point is not really a 'dumber' way of using anything.

ED: Then add in the fact everyone has access to mass transit and a lot of people still drive. By splitting traffic into an underground express lane, traffic goes way down which is good for everyone too.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 22, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Blazing Ownager posted:

Subways and Monorails work very effectively for every city on earth, except the one filled with those worshipping Weedlord420 of Mars. Got it.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

because 'driving form point a to b' is called a road. which already exist. and don't require a specific car to use and billions of dollars of construction. the solution to the non-problem you describe is to have MORE public transportation (transportation that doesn't require you to use a car, thereby reducing the number of cars on the road) and have that transportation include residential areas.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

There is a huge difference (and a difference that will impact traffic big time) between driving somewhere and emerging with your car already and parking to ride a packed loving subway and emerging sans car on the other side. From a time and convenience issue: In reality getting on a train requires finding a place to park (10-15 mins), waiting for the train (5-15 mins), waiting for the train to make all it's stops while en route to your destination, then walking to a connecting form of mass transit and waiting for a bus to where you are actually going (another 10-20 mins).

If people can't understand why just driving into Point A and emerging in Point B is a lot different I don't know what to say. Wanting to save like 30 mins of screwing around with public transportation minimum and actually having a car at your destination point is not really a 'dumber' way of using anything.

ED: Then add in the fact everyone has access to mass transit and a lot of people still drive. By splitting traffic into an underground express lane, traffic goes way down which is good for everyone too.

where is this magical city where everyone has access to public transportation, but nobody uses it?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

like, let's take the premise that a solution to traffic congestion is more tunnels, why the gently caress is musk's idiot tunnel - where teslas are driven along on skates - superior to just a normal loving tunnel?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rime posted:

Subways and Monorails work very effectively for every city on earth, except the one filled with those worshipping Weedlord420 of Mars. Got it.

They help but if you think subways work 'very effectively' in a lot of cities you are high as balls.

I'm sure cities that even use a lot of mass transit like Tokyo could benefit from this because if my options are 'Drive into a tunnel, chill for 30 mins, drive out of the tunnel home' or 'Drive/Walk to a subway, wait forever for it to show up, smash myself like a sardine into a can, ride to the destination like a moshpit and then walk/wait for another 30 minus for a bus' I am driving into that loving tunnel.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel designed and oversaw the construction of a tunnel under the Thames in like 1850. That’s a real badass that does something like that.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

They help but if you think subways work 'very effectively' in a lot of cities you are high as balls.

I'm sure cities that even use a lot of mass transit like Tokyo could benefit from this because if my options are 'Drive into a tunnel, chill for 30 mins, drive out of the tunnel home' or 'Drive/Walk to a subway, wait forever for it to show up, smash myself like a sardine into a can, ride to the destination like a moshpit and then walk/wait for another 30 minus for a bus' I am driving into that loving tunnel.

again, explain the logic of this:

1. recognizing that urban roads are clogged by traffic congestion
2. building a tunnel that's like any other tunnel, except it can only be used by one brand of cars, is accessed through a slow moving elevator, and still returns cars to and from the same congested urban streets

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
In the grimdark future, the guy who owns all the parking lots is going to destroy Elon Musk in a fantastic war of attrition.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

where is this magical city where everyone has access to public transportation, but nobody uses it?

Tons of people use it, I'm not saying they don't. I'm saying that a huge number of people don't use it. Those people that don't use it slow down traffic for both each other AND mass transit, because mass transit does NOT do door-to-door deliveries of people and requires a huge amount of waiting to connect to different legs of the trip.

You might be cool going 'I'm being a responsible citizen :smug: taking the bus' but if I can save an hour or two a day not smashed into a cube with often homeless and/or crazy strangers I'm taking it. And again the more people who take the alternative, the less people on the road, so the faster the connecting busses go.

Nobody's saying to get rid of public transport, just ways to cut down the traffic and speed up private transport.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

\

how much tesla stock do you own

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Tons of people use it, I'm not saying they don't. I'm saying that a huge number of people don't use it. Those people that don't use it slow down traffic for both each other AND mass transit, because mass transit does NOT do door-to-door deliveries of people and requires a huge amount of waiting to connect to different legs of the trip.

You might be cool going 'I'm being a responsible citizen :smug: taking the bus' but if I can save an hour or two a day not smashed into a cube with often homeless and/or crazy strangers I'm taking it. And again the more people who take the alternative, the less people on the road, so the faster the connecting busses go.

Nobody's saying to get rid of public transport, just ways to cut down the traffic and speed up private transport.

the solution to the problem you're describing is literally more public transportation. musk's idiot tunnel combines all the worst parts of public transportation (expensive, challenging to build in an existing urban infrastructure) with the worst parts of motor vehicle transportation (the use of cars). even dumber is the addition of an entire, complex system to move cars WHICH CAN ALREADY MOVE THEMSELVES

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

again, explain the logic of this:

1. recognizing that urban roads are clogged by traffic congestion
2. building a tunnel that's like any other tunnel, except it can only be used by one brand of cars, is accessed through a slow moving elevator, and still returns cars to and from the same congested urban streets

It's clear you don't live in a huge city because being able to enter an elevator in downtown LA and then being able to emerge with your car in Santa Monica or Pasadena would be such a huge benefit that it would likely get like half the cars off the freeway. And like it or not, half those drivers aren't going to want to lose another hour a day loving with a bus.

The 'one brand of car' thing is, from what I understand, a complete temporary limit while they test it. Any car will be adaptable when they're done.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the solution to the problem you're describing is literally more public transportation.

Again there's a huge difference between 'Drive in point A with car, drive out point B with car' and 'Ditch car and physically run bus to bus to get on and off the subway and spend a 10th of your day waiting for stuff to show up so you can mosh pit with homeless people.' Public transport is a good thing and it's not going anywhere but seriously acting like these are the same is ridiculous.

musk's idiot tunnel combines all the worst parts of public transportation (expensive, challenging to build in an existing urban infrastructure)

A huge part of the tunnel is making the building of the tunnel cheaper and faster.

with the worst parts of motor vehicle transportation (the use of cars).

So? What's so wrong about the use of cars? The pollution? Because not only are future vehicles not going to have nearly the problem with that (thanks to people like Musk, ironically), anyone in the tunnel is riding under the tunnel's power. So like.. what is your actual problem with the use of cars if they're not doing any damage to anyone?

even dumber is the addition of an entire, complex system to move cars WHICH CAN ALREADY MOVE THEMSELVES

Cars cannot move accurately at like 150mph at bumper-to-bumper distances, I mean what the gently caress.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

A huge part of the tunnel is making the building of the tunnel cheaper and faster.

Did you read the article? It cost more and took longer.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arrhythmia posted:

Did you read the article? It cost more and took longer.

The reason why in one word:

quote:

pro·to·type
/ˈprōdəˌtīp/
noun
noun: prototype; plural noun: prototypes

a first, typical or preliminary model of something, especially a machine, from which other forms are developed or copied.

This was literally revised a ton of times from the ground up to make it work. You do realize the vast majority of the project time was making it work, not just digging the tunnel, right?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 22, 2018

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
quality journalism

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Rime posted:

Weedlord420 of Mars.

:haw:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I will never understand the 'Someone tries to do something cool' response of 'Well gently caress that guy!'

Like I don't even understand what drives people to get so pissed off. I wish more people would try crazy poo poo. Even if 99% of them fell on their face, they'd get nothing but props from me for trying.

The way I look at it if even one of Musk's projects changes the world in a good way like Space X then he's cool in my book.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The Tunnel of Dumb
:love:

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Again there's a huge difference between 'Drive in point A with car, drive out point B with car' and 'Ditch car and physically run bus to bus to get on and off the subway and spend a 10th of your day waiting for stuff to show up so you can mosh pit with homeless people.' Public transport is a good thing and it's not going anywhere but seriously acting like these are the same is ridiculous.

So? What's so wrong about the use of cars? The pollution? Because not only are future vehicles not going to have nearly the problem with that (thanks to people like Musk, ironically), anyone in the tunnel is riding under the tunnel's power. So like.. what is your actual problem with the use of cars if they're not doing any damage to anyone?

Cars cannot move accurately at like 150mph at bumper-to-bumper distances, I mean what the gently caress.

you know that public transportation doesn't always require you to drive to access the public transportation? public transportation isn't 'a mosh pit with homeless people'

musks idiot tunnel can't move cars at 150mph either, so...

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blazing Ownager posted:

I will never understand the 'Someone tries to do something cool' response of 'Well gently caress that guy!'

Like I don't even understand what drives people to get so pissed off. I wish more people would try crazy poo poo. Even if 99% of them fell on their face, they'd get nothing but props from me for trying.

yeah elon musk is one of the super rich actually doing cool things with his money, im sure hes still as terrible and corrupt as the rest of them but at least its interesting and i think it should be encouraged

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

This was literally revised a ton of times from the ground up to make it work. You do realize the vast majority of the project time was making it work, not just digging the tunnel, right?

"the 6,000-foot tunnel took 18 months to dig, a distance that a state-of-the-art tunnel-boring machine could clear in eight."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

you know that public transportation doesn't always require you to drive to the public transportation? public transportation isn't 'a mosh pit with homeless people'

musks idiot tunnel can't move cars at 150mph either, so...

Two things:

One, this was written either by someone who has never, ever taken public transportation in their life or lives in a podunk town where it's pleasant. Anybody who's lived in a huge city knows public transportation isn't the armpit of transportation, it's closer to the taint fold of travel.

And two..

quote:

Musk claims the next step for his tunnel is transporting 4,000 vehicles an hour at 155 mph

You're right I was 5 miles too slow

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

seriously if your complaint about public transportation is that it requires you to spend time with homeless people, you're starting off on the wrong foot

the real complaint that you're half making is that our public transportation network isn't extensive enough, which sometimes requires a vehicle to access. the solution to that is more extensive public transportation.

if you want to reduce congestion in cities, make it so you don't need to own a car if you live in a city. there's a reason most people in manhattan don't own cars.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the nice thing about this idiotic small tunnel for fanboys is that it is guaranteed to kill nobody of value when a tunnel fire inevitably wipes out a few dozen tesla owners

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
public transportation can be cool and good if you do it right. japan's public transportation infrastructure is impressive

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Two things:

One, this was written either by someone who has never, ever taken public transportation in their life or lives in a podunk town where it's pleasant. Anybody who's lived in a huge city knows public transportation isn't the armpit of transportation, it's closer to the taint fold of travel.

And two..

You're right I was 5 miles too slow

I have lived in Northern Virginia and Washington, DC and spent 4 years of my life taking public transportation every day. I have spent significant time in NYC, which has the best public transportation in the US.

Again, the issue with public transportation in DC is that it's limited. Traveling to Georgetown, for example, is a pain in the rear end because the Metro doesn't go there, not because of homeless people.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

The way I look at it if even one of Musk's projects changes the world in a good way like Space X then he's cool in my book.

if you're impressed by a tunnel with a car in it and you think it is cool and good and innovative then i have some rocks you could stack that would blow your tiny mind

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wait a minute. A Subway without hobos? Sign me the gently caress up.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

spinderella posted:

The Tunnel of Dumb
:love:

lol

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

seriously if your complaint about public transportation is that it requires you to spend time with homeless people, you're starting off on the wrong foot

Dude, I've seen crack head women strip naked and smear peanut butter cups all over themselves for Halloween while staggering up and down the asile. I've seen wheelchair bound old men grab women and refuse to leg go until the cops are called and throw piles of spit. I've smelled things you people would not believe, and had dozens of people cough in my face while watching the gang bangers scratch poo poo into the windows. And that's not even close to the poo poo that goes down in Japanese subways.

I don't know what the gently caress dreamland you are living on but it's irrefutable that public transportation sucks total balls for the people riding it and a ton of people don't take it right now, hence traffic congestion. It's also irrefutable that traffic congestion slows any connecting busses, which you need to use a subway, way way down.

So to argue against lowering that congestion with some underground super highways, like an automated autobahn, is literally just stupid and would hurt everyone, even people taking buses.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

what if you could have a car pick you up at your house and drop you off at the subway or light rail station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
does he really qualify as a "polymath"? don't you have to know, like...

... what does he know, again?