Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Sits on Pilster posted:

Does the Camry hybrid really get 50 mpg? Like in the real world.

I've been getting between 50 and 52 since I bought mine.

edit: My trip to work yesterday (19 Camry Hybrid LE)

My wife's commute in her Prius (17 Prius Three Touring)

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Camry Hybrid is really, really tempting for my next car purchase.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it's a shame about the face

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

pretty much all toyota and lexus (especially) products right now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's ok the Accord and Civic et all are ghastly too

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I justify the looks of a car by realizing that I spend more time looking out the car than at it.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its pretty hard to find a car that looks good and is good in TYOOL 2018 for a fair price.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only cars that don’t look like 2f2f matchbox toys are Mazda, Porsche, and Volvo? Mazda’s been upping their badge game recently though, and it’s looking pretty :eyepop:ingly bad on the CX5/9.

Edit: I’ll put it this way... people are genuinely appreciating Bangle butt these days.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Mazda...

Feel... Alive

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phone posted:

The only cars that don’t look like 2f2f matchbox toys are Mazda, Porsche, and Volvo? Mazda’s been upping their badge game recently though, and it’s looking pretty :eyepop:ingly bad on the CX5/9.

Edit: I’ll put it this way... people are genuinely appreciating Bangle butt these days.

Audi and Benz still look great. VW isnt bad but very understated. Mustangs still look good.

But yeah, the mass sales vehicles like the Civic and Camry, etc all look like poo poo now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a rental Mustang right now, and they only look good on the outside.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

zapplez posted:

Audi and Benz still look great. VW isnt bad but very understated. Mustangs still look good.

But yeah, the mass sales vehicles like the Civic and Camry, etc all look like poo poo now.

:lol: at the "now" part. They've always been behind the curve on looks.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nocheez posted:

:lol: at the "now" part. They've always been behind the curve on looks.

I actually loved the 2008+ Accords and the prev gen civics looked "okay".

The new ones are pretty terrible with their front grills.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zapplez posted:

audis are dull and have been dull since the mid 2000s. now they also come as Dull with a massive size of Razor Maw

the giant illuminated three pointed stars on MB current fronts are tacky and gross

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the giant illuminated three pointed stars on MB current fronts are tacky and gross

People pay EXTRA for that.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

KillHour posted:

People pay EXTRA for that.

The blueish LEDs contrast nicely with the warm halogen lights on the CLA. It's perfectly representative of the people that would buy a CLA.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

audis are dull and have been dull since the mid 2000s. now they also come as Dull with a massive size of Razor Maw

What do you think looks good

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
Proposed Budget: 15K-20K, preferably low-end
New or Used: New or slightly used( < 22 k miles or so)
Body Style: Sedan through flexible
How will you be using the car?: Driving 20 to 30 miles 5 days a week, sometime 60 to 90 miles a month or so to visit parents
What aspects are most important to you? I want a car that I like to drive and is also reliable. No bells or whistles. I prefer simplicity and also being able to change the headlight assembly without using a lift but I can be flexible on it. Might want a bit of cargo space since I deal with antiques sometimes.
Summary: I have a Jetta 2016 till a deer committed suicide by ramming straight into the passenger side. I liked my Jetta but I'm not sure if I want to grab another one or try something else.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Your 2016 Jetta was totalled by a deer running into the side? Must have been some deer.

The Golf sportwagen in its most basic form is pretty simple, with a manual trans and all, and I think they all come with Android Auto/Apple carplay, or at least are widely available with them, so if you liked the Jetta it's probably a good bet.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

Your 2016 Jetta was totalled by a deer running into the side? Must have been some deer.

The Golf sportwagen in its most basic form is pretty simple, with a manual trans and all, and I think they all come with Android Auto/Apple carplay, or at least are widely available with them, so if you liked the Jetta it's probably a good bet.

Should have said automatic since I'll be driving at different times of the day and other styff.

Yep, it ran across the other side of a double lane highway, leaped over a barrier, ran across the lane I was on, then double backed to ram into my passenger side, ruining the engine, radiator, and other stuff.

I'll look into the Golf, hopefully I can get a 2017 or a 2018. Any other suggestions?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AmyL posted:

How will you be using the car?: Driving 20 to 30 miles 5 days a week, sometime 60 to 90 miles a month or so to visit parents
What aspects are most important to you? I want a car that I like to drive and is also reliable. No bells or whistles. I prefer simplicity and also being able to change the headlight assembly without using a lift but I can be flexible on it. Might want a bit of cargo space since I deal with antiques sometimes.
Summary: I have a Jetta 2016 till a deer committed suicide by ramming straight into the passenger side. I liked my Jetta but I'm not sure if I want to grab another one or try something else.

Did you love your Jetta? You could get a great deal on a 2017 or 2018 used or overstock as they just introduced a new model. Or take a look at the 2019 it looks good and has better gas mileage.

Otherwise, we will give you the list of the same 6 or 7 reliable and affordable cars. (buy a mazda3 hatch,santa fe,crv,rav4,prius,etc)

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 20, 2018

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

AmyL posted:

Is there anything about your Jetta you didn't like?

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

mariooncrack posted:

Is there anything about your Jetta you didn't like?

Other then having a bit more cargo space and unable to change the headlight assembly without taking apart the bumper, I really enjoyed having my Jetta and I was able to haul stuff like tables by taking them apart, then stuffing them in the back.

zapplez posted:

Did you love your Jetta? You could get a great deal on a 2017 or 2018 used or overstock as they just introduced a new model. Or take a look at the 2019 it looks good and has better gas mileage.

Otherwise, we will give you the list of the same 6 or 7 reliable and affordable cars. (buy a mazda3 hatch,santa fe,crv,rav4,prius,etc)

That does help. I'm a bit bummed out that my car was totaled right after I detailed it so I guess I want a few options to look up before getting ready to buy the car before or after New Year's Day

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FWIW, leftover Jettas can be had with like $6k on the hood.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The headlight without bumper removal requirement is pretty specific and funny. I'm sure there are cars where regular maintenance is quite easy but yes, you will need to remove the bumper for headlight fixture replacement. The CR-V is like that.

How often are you replacing headlight fixtures? I've never needed to. I imagine because of modern packaging sophistication most models will need the bumper to come off.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 20, 2018

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Something Offal posted:

The headlight without bumper removal requirement is pretty specific and funny. I'm sure there are cars where regular maintenance is quite easy but yes, you will need to remove the bumper for headlight fixture replacement. The CR-V is like that.

How often are you replacing headlight fixtures? I've never needed to. I imagine because of modern packaging sophistication most models will need the bumper to come off.

I had some older cars back in the day that I had to replace the lights and other stuff for various reasons. I guess that habit of myself doing it without going through some extra steps stuck with me. It isn't a deal-breaker but old habits I guess. Also other reasons that are silly. The list of cars that was given is already proven to be of great help

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

FWIW, leftover Jettas can be had with like $6k on the hood.
?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

AmyL posted:

I had some older cars back in the day that I had to replace the lights and other stuff for various reasons. I guess that habit of myself doing it without going through some extra steps stuck with me. It isn't a deal-breaker but old habits I guess. Also other reasons that are silly. The list of cars that was given is already proven to be of great help

?

6k in rebates. The local VW dealer here doesn’t have anymore 18s but they’re still doing 5k dealer discounts and another 1k from VW on other models. Tiguans, GTIs, etc. all day long for $6k off without haggling.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I am in the midwest and like everyone else buying "cars" these days I'm looking at CUVs. We will be upgrading from a 2014 Kia Soul that we have really liked. Reasons for upgrading are lack of cargo space (we'd like to take 2-3 large suitcases and a stroller in the cargo area) and inadequate performance in snow (we moved from Arizona to Minnesota). My wife would like AWD, and I am not going to fight it even though I believe snow tires will be more helpful (we'll probably get those too).

So far I am considering the new Toyota Rav4 (maybe the hybrid?) and Subaru Forester. My concern is that each has been "completely redesigned" for this 2019, which makes me concerned about reliability issues vs. say the last model of a previous generation (like the 2019 CR-V). Does the Subaru really have better AWD than the other brands in this price range/category?

Proposed Budget: ~$30k would be nice, up to $35k if needed
New or Used: Probably new, I don't have the confidence to buy used private party
Body Style: small SUV or wagon, but our garage is small and can't fit a car over ~180" long, ~72" wide
How will you be using the car? No commuting, common weekend 1.5 hr trips, occasional camping, commonly carrying 1 and sometimes 2 bicycles (prefer a hitch rack)
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Yes, but basically the fancy new safety features and Apple CarPlay would be enough. Heated seats would be a major bonus, but I prefer cloth to leather.
What aspects are most important to you? Cargo capacity (while fitting in the garage), handling in snow, reliability, MPG

Sobriquet fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 20, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you enjoyed your Soul I'd recommend you also consider the comparable Kia and Hyundai mid size SUVs. I've had a ton of hours with a Santa Fe and it was great, and from what I've read the Sorento and such are good values too. They are generally a great value for anyone that isn't hung up on not buying just Honda/Toyota or whatever.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

zapplez posted:

If you enjoyed your Soul I'd recommend you also consider the comparable Kia and Hyundai mid size SUVs. I've had a ton of hours with a Santa Fe and it was great, and from what I've read the Sorento and such are good values too. They are generally a great value for anyone that isn't hung up on not buying just Honda/Toyota or whatever.

FWIW, I have driven all the small SUVs are the Santa Fe was the worst of the lot. The Rav4 has been my favorite, with the CRV and larger Rogue (who knew there are two body styles?).

Don't buy a Chevy. Ever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zapplez posted:

the various jags look OK these days

uhhh

the jeep grand cherokee looks good

uhhh

the elantra

some mazdas

the chrysler pacifica

that's basically all that comes to mind

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zapplez posted:

I'll do one from most of the major auto manufacturers

Toyota Corolla Fielder (not available in the US)

Honda S660 (once again, not available in the US; honorable mention: NSX)

Mazda Mazda3

Nissan
[picture not found]
maybe the 370z or March, but yikes

Subaru Levorg (N O T A V A I L A B L E)

Hyundai Genesis G70

VW GTI is still solid (last gen pictured)

BMW M2

Mecedes E63

Porsche Cayman

Ford F Stripped Chassis

Chevy Cruze

FCA/Alfa 4C

It's... fuckin' grim out there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Phone posted:

Ford F Stripped Chassis

I would drive the absolute poo poo out of this.

Also, cars today look way better than they did in the 90s or 00s, and better than the regular (not sport or luxury cars) of the 70s or 80s.

Is this beautiful? No. But it's better than any of these

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 22, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The V90 better have been not included only because it wasn't from a major manufacturer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KillHour posted:

I would drive the absolute poo poo out of this.

Also, cars today look way better than they did in the 90s or 00s, and better than the regular (not sport or luxury cars) of the 70s or 80s.

Is this beautiful? No. But it's better than any of these

There were a few gems in there

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't even tell which are the troll posts anymore when people are saying they like the looks of the chevy cruze and chrylser pacifica.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

oh baby!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I think the Pacifica looks better than other minivans and it’s predecessor, but that’s a pretty low bar.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zapplez posted:

I can't even tell which are the troll posts anymore when people are saying they like the looks of the chevy cruze and chrylser pacifica.

The Chevy Cruze hatch is a handsome car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phone posted:

The Chevy Cruze hatch is a handsome car.

I dont get it. And im a bit of a Chev apologist.

It looks like a Mazda3 that was left out in the sun and melted.