Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CPColin posted:

I had an opportunity turn into a rejection when one of my references spooked my prospective boss and I was unable to talk them through their concerns. My reference felt so guilty about it, they asked never to be used as my reference again, lol.

lol what’d they say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

FMguru posted:

check the thread op

i don't think it's in the op but i had very good results with "where would you like things to be in a year"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

raminasi posted:

lol what’d they say

The prospective boss brought up my reputation for being a cranky poo poo and I told them that it was initially well-deserved, but was hanging around much longer than it was true. I think they also brought up how I might not work as hard on poo poo I don't care about. I dunno, it was a while ago and I never asked my reference, "WHAT DID YOU DOOOOOO???"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gazpacho posted:

hrm boild water put my advice in there, which was specifically targeted to one poster and not general advice. besides it should be clear at this point that I have no clue about the interviewing process and perhaps software development as well. i think have have been doing something else completley

posters ask to have things in the op, they go in there. I don’t qa the questions. qa were fired to make room for nothing

qhat posted:

Got an on-site technical interview at EA. This should be fun.

:rip:

unless its the frostbite team in which case good luck

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CPColin posted:

The prospective boss brought up my reputation for being a cranky poo poo and I told them that it was initially well-deserved, but was hanging around much longer than it was true. I think they also brought up how I might not work as hard on poo poo I don't care about. I dunno, it was a while ago and I never asked my reference, "WHAT DID YOU DOOOOOO???"
lmfao Jesus Christ

a reference should confirm the date you started and left and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe a broad overview of your duties while you worked there

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CPColin posted:

in the uk i think you can actually sue people for giving references like that. not sure what it's like elsewhere.

like the worst possible reference you can get is one that says "they worked here from between x and y" but says nothing what so ever about your performance or why you left.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

two weeks left at current job, next one should start in february

regret is already growing as just as i leave it seems tptb are finally getting around to taking software dev seriously, but on the other hand uhh it's like all these grandiose plans just blew up out of nowhere while all discussions i have had with my superiors i always left with the feeling that "better things aren't possible"

in fact the reddest of red flags is that while one of the top leadership is also leaving by the end of this year (this was announced a week ago), so they came by to wish me luck and a long future in this company. i guess this is what my boss meant on tuesday with "dont tell anyone"

this is a 20 person company, why the gently caress is the leadership hiding poo poo from each other, not to mention the employees

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
maybe they're doing this because you're leaving?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

nah this has been a trend since the beginning, it's a big part of why i am leaving - the last guy who left we also found out 2 weeks ahead even though the notice is 30 days

many other cases as well where crucial information is not shared or is passed through a word of mouth chain so i have ended up implementing the wrong thing several times

imagine coordinating a dev team without email, any kind of issue tracker and mostly 1 to 1 meetings

ninja edit: i did install a gitlab and try to nudge others to adopt the workflow where basic stuff is written down but in the end it was mostly for myself

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my bonus is contingent on my manager submitting my annual review by cob today

he hasn’t even looked at it yet let alone scheduled our meeting

gonna be a fun next couple of hours lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CPColin posted:

This is an insanely bad reference. I know someone who literally a company after she left and still got a positive reference from her ex boss

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

pointsofdata posted:

This is an insanely bad reference. I know someone who literally a company after she left and still got a positive reference from her ex boss

literally what a company

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

this could go several ways

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im guessing "poo poo on"

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im guessing "poo poo on"

"literally" would be one hell of a word in that sentence

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Haha oops. Missing word was "sued"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I should have clarified that this was a personal reference, not a did-you-actually-work-there reference, so I was expecting them to answer questions along the line of, "What's it like to work with this person?" I think the one person got tongue-tied and over-shared a little.

One time I was applying to places, I had to scramble because I put a bunch of current coworkers as personal references and the hiring manager called my then-boss first, who told them that company policy was that current coworkers were not allowed to act as references, but could only confirm dates of employment. The hiring manager made me come up with three completely different personal references and I wanted to say, "Can you just ignore my boss and use them anyway?"

Fortunately, enough people had left that company that I was able to find three people willing to do it within a day or so.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Penisface posted:

it seems tptb are finally getting around to taking software dev seriously

narrator: they won't.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I was under the impression that asking for references (let alone actually calling them) had fallen out of favor, is that not the case?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Asleep Style posted:

I was under the impression that asking for references (let alone actually calling them) had fallen out of favor, is that not the case?
It seems to have been replaced by "background checks" where they confirm the facts of your resume (degrees, where you work at what position during what period) and check for things like your arrest record.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

my bonus is contingent on my manager submitting my annual review by cob today

he hasn’t even looked at it yet let alone scheduled our meeting

gonna be a fun next couple of hours lol
trip report i got an Outstanding, this company doesn’t have a single clue lmao

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CPColin posted:

I should have clarified that this was a personal reference, not a did-you-actually-work-there reference, so I was expecting them to answer questions along the line of, "What's it like to work with this person?" I think the one person got tongue-tied and over-shared a little.

One time I was applying to places, I had to scramble because I put a bunch of current coworkers as personal references and the hiring manager called my then-boss first, who told them that company policy was that current coworkers were not allowed to act as references, but could only confirm dates of employment. The hiring manager made me come up with three completely different personal references and I wanted to say, "Can you just ignore my boss and use them anyway?"

Fortunately, enough people had left that company that I was able to find three people willing to do it within a day or so.

lol what a bullshit rule

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Asleep Style posted:

Some hr systems ask for them beefore you've even spoken to anyone (i put in Mr On Request)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

:rip:

unless its the frostbite team in which case good luck

It's frostbite

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

well good news

hang on for eight hiring cycles and it'll be a frostbyte

i'll see myself out

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

meh, made it to in person interview and stumbled ath the finish line

and notified via greenhouse.io button click at the end of the day before a holidayso i can't even ask what i did wrong

:\

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Boiled Water posted:

well good news

hang on for eight hiring cycles and it'll be a frostbyte

i'll see myself out

:nfpa:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

also the hiring market must be drying up in denmark. i've received personality tests before first interviews now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ciaphas posted:

meh, made it to in person interview and stumbled ath the finish line

and notified via greenhouse.io button click at the end of the day before a holidayso i can't even ask what i did wrong

:\

well hey free trip to denver, at least

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
denver is cool bc you can see snow capped mountains, but its extremely BROWN, thats not so cool. but housing is affordable and weed is SUPER cheap so go denver

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Started telling coworkers that I’m moving to a new area and started poking around the source I’ll be working with for some of new job duties; I’m already kind of checking out on my old assignment even though I’m working it part time for at most 3 more months

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

DELETE CASCADE posted:

but [denver] housing is affordable

lmao

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
denver i barely know her

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
had a very promising interview today and they just emailed me to schedule a follow up in january. liked the guy i spoke to (the eng lead), had a very open ended conversation and i felt like we were on the same page. i asked him some good questions and got good answers.

it's another startup though and i feel like with the impending recession i should really be looking at a healthy corp (but i dont want to).

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i really want to get a new job in the new year. im thinking about startups too but im not sure i wanna. one my friend works at wants me to write javascript for android :sigh:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

one my friend works at wants me to write javascript for android :sigh:

this person is not your friend

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
A better friend than the one who encourages you to cling to disfavored mobile development tech

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

qhat posted:

Got an on-site technical interview at EA. This should be fun.

wrong

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

FMguru posted:

It seems to have been replaced by "background checks" where they confirm the facts of your resume (degrees, where you work at what position during what period) and check for things like your arrest record.
When I got hired by BigCo, the background check company couldn't verify my prior employment at a startup because it was no longer in business and they couldn't reach anyone.

BigCo had bought that company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShadowHawk posted:

When I got hired by BigCo, the background check company couldn't verify my prior employment at a startup because it was no longer in business and they couldn't reach anyone.

BigCo had bought that company.

And BigCo had a strict no-confirm/no-deny reference policy?