Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I just need help sorting out Logitech's baffling lineup.

I have an MX Anywhere 2S mouse. I love it. I usually use it with bluetooth on my MBP and keep the little dongle in my bag if I need to switch to another computer. What I'm looking for is a keyboard that can be paired to the same unifying receiver AND do bluetooth when needed. It also needs to be compatible with Mac and Windows.

Does the K375s do this? The only problem is that I'd prefer a compact keyboard. I almost never need the number pad and find the width kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

tuyop posted:

I just need help sorting out Logitech's baffling lineup.

I have an MX Anywhere 2S mouse. I love it. I usually use it with bluetooth on my MBP and keep the little dongle in my bag if I need to switch to another computer. What I'm looking for is a keyboard that can be paired to the same unifying receiver AND do bluetooth when needed. It also needs to be compatible with Mac and Windows.

Does the K375s do this? The only problem is that I'd prefer a compact keyboard. I almost never need the number pad and find the width kind of annoying.

Any keyboard with the orange star can work with a unifying receiver. The one you posted does appear to work with it.

K780 also
https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/k780-multi-device-wireless-keyboard?crid=27

mewse
May 2, 2006

Well I fell down the rabbit hole again.

An alternative new tactile switch to zealios/holy pandas are outemu sky, the stem looks very similar to cherry clears.

That aliexpress store sucks for me in canada because shipping is $30 usd.

However there's a guy in the states who will ship for $10.

He is selling through reddit, and his versions have clear tops for SMD LED lights. He also just got silent versions in with bumpers similar to cherry/gateron silents. So I've ordered those and I'm going to put them in my lovely Z-88 keyboard that has outemu hotswap sockets.

You have to assemble the silents tho

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chyrosran22 did a review of the Optimus Maximus Keyboard. I remember being impressed by this thing when it came out. I'm kind of glad it's not great so I can stop sort of wanting one in that "buy it in 20 years on ebay" way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7GYU-wedo

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Rexxed posted:

Chyrosran22 did a review of the Optimus Maximus Keyboard. I remember being impressed by this thing when it came out. I'm kind of glad it's not great so I can stop sort of wanting one in that "buy it in 20 years on ebay" way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7GYU-wedo

Jus get an Elgato stream deck next to your real keeb.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

mewse posted:

Well I fell down the rabbit hole again.

An alternative new tactile switch to zealios/holy pandas are outemu sky, the stem looks very similar to cherry clears.

That aliexpress store sucks for me in canada because shipping is $30 usd.

However there's a guy in the states who will ship for $10.

He is selling through reddit, and his versions have clear tops for SMD LED lights. He also just got silent versions in with bumpers similar to cherry/gateron silents. So I've ordered those and I'm going to put them in my lovely Z-88 keyboard that has outemu hotswap sockets.

You have to assemble the silents tho

Pro-tip, if they're using the Outemu ICE v1 springs, make sure to lube those and maybe the stems as well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Pro-tip, if they're using the Outemu ICE v1 springs, make sure to lube those and maybe the stems as well.

I ordered 110 so I'll have a handful of spares to play with. He is shipping me a 2.35(?)mm drill bit to re-work the stem hole in the base. Apparently "retooling" the base like that improves the switch significantly even without lube.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just ordered myself an fc980m

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My Vortex Race 3 arrived. It's really nice. Clear switches are quiet too. I kinda wish the F and J had little bumps on them so I can feel them better. Maybe i'll get used to it as time goes on. The build quality is staggeringly good though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Did it not come with alternative dished versions?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

teethgrinder posted:

Did it not come with alternative dished versions?

Yeah the dished ones are in. I’ve always liked the little raised bumps though. The clears are shockingly heavy. I ordered a red one off amazon too so I can see which one I like most. We’ll see how that goes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Are there any keebs that have a numpad but are still compact or smaller than standard 104 keyboards? I want to spend $250 on something I want but don't need.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
There's the Vortex Vibe. It's basically a 60% with a numpad tacked on. Not $250 but it's really nice and comes stock with dyesub PBT SA profile caps.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 23, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
poo poo that is lovely to look at. Thanks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Are there any keebs that have a numpad but are still compact or smaller than standard 104 keyboards? I want to spend $250 on something I want but don't need.

Cooler Master has a tenkeyless variant that has a numpad but loses the middle cluster. I thought they stopped making it but it's in stock on amazon. It seems they've changed up the names so their Pro S is a normal 87 key model, the Pro M is what you might want, and the Pro L is full sized:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterKeys-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01ITE93VA/

Seems like kind of limited switch selection unfortunately.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I invested in a separate ten key pad that has an extra f row with Esc, tab, and backspace. With a fancy key cap set it can match my TKL or my 60% and it can be positioned separately (in a drawer desk 50% of the time)

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

96key is what you want. Input Club has the Kira available:

https://kono.store/products/kira-mechanical-keyboard

Or you can look for some kits that you can build yourself.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

On the risk of repeating myself, but see the quoted image. It's what's called a 1800 layout, because they resemble a Cherry G80 1800.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Just ordered myself an fc980m

Otherwise, I have a coolerpaster pro keys m. It's nice but I feel like the stabilizers are a bit rattly ant it's a bit loud overall. The numpad doesn't work out of the box with Mac OS X; unless you flash some custom firmware, Macs can only use the TKL mode. Love the feel of the default caps though, nicest typing experience I've had so far (compared to SA, DSA, Cherry).

Then finally there's the Vortex Vibe someone had mentioned. I was really on the fence of getting it because it's beautiful. But I don't like SA and I already have two boards that sacrifice usability for beauty. Still wanna try it at some point, though.

If you are into kits, there are at least two options. One option are the 96 key layouts, such as the Melody96. It was a bunch cheaper than comparable Group Buys and it was generally received very well. I've got one, fitted it with Zilents. It's pretty good (disclosure: mine had one dead spot on the PCB, but I could fix it by bridging it to a neighbouring key). This one isn't mine, but the layout is the same. 96 layout boards might be the most beautiful boards ever made, but I don't like that there's no separation between the different parts of the board.

The other are 1800-like layouts available as kits. At kbdfans, you can currently get kits for the KDB 19X, but it's a little bit more pricey:

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 23, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Oddly, I think I prefer the Vortex Race 3 with Cherry MX Reds. I really really thought I would like clears, especially after trying them on the little switch tester, but I love how smooth the reds feel as they go down. I guess I saved $5 feeling this way. Although now I have to go through the effort of returning the MX Clear keyboard.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
If you like the smoothness of reds, but you liked clears on a tester, you might have been into the spring weight. You may want to look into blacks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
please I have two keyboards now don’t send me through the hell of having a third one and needing to return 2

mewse
May 2, 2006

buglord posted:

please I have two keyboards now don’t send me through the hell of having a third one and needing to return 2

... return?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
if i come back to this thread before 2022, its too soon

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I'm thinking it's about time for another thread update. This time I'd like to focus on the recced boards. I'm looking for a good budget keyboard to put up for people, I'm going to add the Vortex Race 3 as well. (I think it's one of the best keyboards rn)

So I'd love to hear people's opinions on budget boards these days.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Is budget a sub-$50 chinese keyboard on amazon or is budget in the $100 range? Things scale strangely in this hobby.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I'm thinking about the sub 100 range.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'd throw in the Durgod and Cooler Master for being good quality boards in that price range, as well as the Unicomp buckling spring keyboards (with the understanding that you won't get a lot of modern features).

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Could also help to mention popular programmable pre-built/customs like the Tada68

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
For budget I always point people at monoprice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm thinking about the sub 100 range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3BDN60/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

buglord posted:

The one in the upper left... I have two of those

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Multiple keebs crew, represent.

Corsair K70 Red (Cherry MX Red)
Pok3r (Cherry MX Black)
K-Type (Kailh BOX Royal Jade)
CTRL (Kailh BOX Heavy Dark Yellow)

The moment you have too many keyboards is when you physically don't have a place to put them in your home. Use the right tool for the job, and sometimes that job is that you just want things to feel a little different, and that's 100% okay!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Well, if we're all whipping our dicks out...

TeamWolf Zhuque - Outemu Ice Purple
Custom Plexi 75% - Gateron Blues
Custom Plexi Numpad - Gateron Blues
Custom Wood Case + GH60 - Kailh Pro Purple
Custom Wood Case + GK64 - Outemu Ice Grey
Custom Steel Case + DZ60 - Kailh Burnt Orange
Anne Pro - Gateron Brown
KPRepublic Alu 60% Case - Kailh Box Navy
KBD75 - Zealios 65g
96KEE - Zealios 67g (for work)
YMD96 - Gateron housing with MX Clear stems and 67g springs
Melody96 - Zealios 67g
Input Club K-Type - Retooled Kailh Brown
Massdrop CTRL - Kailh Pale Blue
Massdrop ALT - Halo Clears
GMMK TKL - Kailh Speed Bronze

I guess you can technically count my Razer Orbweaver with Kailh Browns as well. I also have a couple of unbuilt cases and PCBs in a box somewhere, and a shitton of different switches and keycaps in bags.

I've made everything hotswappable with MillMax sockets (or with the non-custom boards, they come with hotswap sockets already), so I don't really have the urge to build new keyboards just to try out different switches anymore.

This keyboard poo poo is a loving problem. I'll probably sell most of it off or give them away as Christmas or birthday presents. I just need to build a split keyboard and I'm probably done outside of trying out new switches and keycaps.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
you people make me sick!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

buglord posted:

you people make me sick!

We are sick.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

List dumps in a thread are pretty boring but I kind of wanted to tally it myself. I have more pending keyboard projects than I remembered.
Two IBM Model Ms
Unicomp Customizer 101 key
1984 Model F bigfoot that I need to get working at some point
Two Omnikey Ultras with complicated white ALPS
WYSE terminal keyboard modded to work with USB with black switches
NEC apc-h412
NeXT ALPS keyboard I harvested for parts (sorry NeXT fans)
Cherry POS keyboard with browns and a mag stripe reader
CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with blues
CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with greens
Inifinity keyboard with Matias quiet click alps clones
Noppoo Choc Mini
SIIG Minitouch with simple white ALPS
Three TG3 cop car keyboards with blacks
ABS Mechanical keyboard (horrible linear ALPS)
Durgod K320
Havit low profile board
MechanicalEagle Z-77
Qisan Mechanical 68 key

I've got a lot of projects to do for switch swaps and some DIY projects I want to do as well so I have a lot of switches, springs, microcontrollers, cases and parts. I built my first PC in '96 and got my first mechanical keyboard in '98 so I guess I'm still averaging around one a year. Eight are currently in use and I think three or four are unusable in current condition but are on my list to fix or refurbish.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Do you use the all the keyboards on the same machine? I can't really see my self having more than one keyboard at home and one at work, but my second mechanical was a hotswappable switches

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mrking posted:

Do you use the all the keyboards on the same machine? I can't really see my self having more than one keyboard at home and one at work, but my second mechanical was a hotswappable switches

No, I have four keyboards attached to PCs on my desk(s), two on KVMs on some servers in the basement, and a couple on keyboard/mouse/monitor stations for doing work on different PCs since I do IT work that sometimes ends up at home, or I work on my own PCs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Vortex Race 3 on MX Reds is great and a pleasure to type on. The keyboard is silent, quieter than or equivalent to my rubber dome at the office. The build and weight feels stellar, the plastic keys feel great on the fingers, the design is elegantly minimalist. At 4 days of ownership I'll probably have more opinions as time goes on, but it's a real winner for me currently. If I had to nitpick, it would be on the accessories. Keycap puller would have been a nice addition, the bundled micro-USB cable looks awfully generic. Would have been nice to have a braided cable. Thank god its removable. For $155, a keycap puller and a higher quality cable shouldn't be a huge ask.

Nitpick aside, great purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm thinking it's about time for another thread update. This time I'd like to focus on the recced boards. I'm looking for a good budget keyboard to put up for people, I'm going to add the Vortex Race 3 as well. (I think it's one of the best keyboards rn)

So I'd love to hear people's opinions on budget boards these days.

I've been using this sucker, a Velocifire VM01, at work for a few weeks and I'm pretty impressed for the 41 bucks. I added some o-rings to dampen it and it stands up well to my Logitech G710+ at home. Really basic, but feels solidly built and the switches feel really nice. I mostly just wanted to upgrade from the godawful Logitech K120 they gave me for my laptop dock setup.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 26, 2018