Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

BlondRobin posted:

In 2300 the concept of internal politics, a problem that has plagued humanity for every moment of its existence as a species, is scheduled to be removed, which explains why suddenly we are able to reach space and also possibly why authoritarian measures no longer bother people, because all individuals now have no sense of personal gain vs society’s gain and work together for the betterment of the civilization.

Well, there’s a reason it’s called science fiction

Yeah I don't get the folks that imply there's no possible way that a society will find a way to eliminate strife and generate alignment between its citizens, along its development to being able to harness literal stars.

If you really like the internal strife model you got CK2 and the upcoming Rome should have tons of that stuff too. If every single Paradox game models the same conflicts and tensions then the variety is kinda illusory. I think it's reasonable to assume that when faced with literal cosmic horrors completely unlike you, that it would help facilitate the idea that "hmm maybe fighting amongst eachother when faced with devouring swarms is not a good idea." And maybe there would be some technology to facilitate that. So perhaps, the focus of games like Stellaris can be on the conflict between these quite different beings and ideals that they have, instead of endlessly modeling their internal issues to amazing levels of detail. For all those reasons in Stellaris I'm a fan of having the conflict be between the galactic empires instead of within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, I mean if there a Society tech or Ascension perk to align social incentives or whatever, sure, why not? You have to research it first though.

Also, what exactly do you think it means when a governor develops the "Corrupt" trait?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
It's been brought up before but the fact that "Planetary Unification" is an in-game tech sort of implies that at game start it hasn't happened yet

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Adding an internal politics system based on character interaction might make the game more like other Paradox games, but I might also make it more fun.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Me, a guy who still hasn't watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes:

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Or perhaps don't, there's already a game for ck2 style internal politics, it's called ck2 and they've designed the game around it.

Bickering feudal lords marrying their horses and trying to kill you: plausible in 1200. The evil baron sector governor doing the same thing in 2300? really really dumb world-building.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zohar posted:

It's been brought up before but the fact that "Planetary Unification" is an in-game tech sort of implies that at game start it hasn't happened yet
I figured that kind of thing represented actually finalizing your planetary government on the full level. Like nation-states and Blorg spawnlands went from being like American states to being like Japanese provinces.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Pikey posted:

Somebody convince me to give this game another try. I last played it this spring and the only expansion I played was leviathans, but the steam sale makes me want to try it again. I always got into a slump shortly after the early game when I've found a few nearby empires bumped up against me and nothing seems to be happening. Can somebody gimme a primer on the "proper" way to play? Should I be running the game on the fastest speed the majority of the time? Seems like a lot of waiting around for nothing to happen. Did 2.0 really change the game as much as all the reviews say?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/a40wxk/i_have_no_idea_what_im_doing_guide_for_first_25/

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If your empire is completely unified then why can your pops form factions?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

turn off the TV posted:

They're like political parties

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Egalitarian xenophile is totally broken at the moment - Pops will move to planets they're totally unsuited for and end up eating a billion food and consumer goods more than they should.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

turn off the TV posted:

Because some devs wanted it to be like Vicky. I don't see the factions being interesting on a scale like Stellaris and I very rarely hear people praise them for their gameplay in this thread. A fairly low number of "Yeah I was having this playthrough and then this faction started demanding stuff and WOW this game is just amazing" type posts.

CK2 has thousands of characters to make their politics work. A typical stellaris empire has.. 10-12? They're completely different scales of gameplay and technology and mechanics. I generally disagree with the idea of "let's cut and paste every mechanic from every game" and suggest that rather, trying to understand the core of what it's modeling, and figuring out how to implement it consistent with the design of the game you are actually working on is a better approach.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In honor of 666, post genocidal empires:evilbuddy:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Re-installed Stellaris 2.2 including Megacorp after about a year and :psyduck: numbers everywhere

Can you guys recommend a really dumb and concise guide for planet management? Is it possible to hand that off to a competent AI? I don't like micro managing a dozen of planets or so.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Egalitarian xenophile is totally broken at the moment - Pops will move to planets they're totally unsuited for and end up eating a billion food and consumer goods more than they should.

Just feed them, you monster. They're free to live wherever they want.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, literally the whole point of the Egalitarian ethic is that people don't always do what you want them to and you have to deal with it. That's why it's the opposite of Authoritarian.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Gotta have a downside to massive immigration spitting 10-15 growth per month with not really a lot of effort

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Zohar posted:

My take on that is that there's a formal unified structure but the tech is half working out the details of how to run it all properly and being able to have some flexibility (Hence being able to set up new edicts; you need a civil service that can actually implement them), and half convincing the people to adopt the unified racial identity over whatever previous national/tribal/etc. ones they had.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So uh I turned into glorious machines. Noticed not all my dudes made the switch. Fine I'll apply template there now too. Must have been the pops growing at the time of the project.

And now I have no pop growth. Only the robot factories which don't build the my main species, just the synths I had before ascending.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

BrandorKP posted:

So uh I turned into glorious machines. Noticed not all my dudes made the switch. Fine I'll apply template there now too. Must have been the pops growing at the time of the project.

And now I have no pop growth. Only the robot factories which don't build the my main species, just the synths I had before ascending.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking here, but there's a way to force factories to build a specific template. If they're building a mishmash or the old stuff then you probably need to switch it to the new template, unless that's somehow bugged for you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah I don't get the folks that imply there's no possible way that a society will find a way to eliminate strife and generate alignment between its citizens, along its development to being able to harness literal stars.

If you really like the internal strife model you got CK2 and the upcoming Rome should have tons of that stuff too. If every single Paradox game models the same conflicts and tensions then the variety is kinda illusory. I think it's reasonable to assume that when faced with literal cosmic horrors completely unlike you, that it would help facilitate the idea that "hmm maybe fighting amongst eachother when faced with devouring swarms is not a good idea." And maybe there would be some technology to facilitate that. So perhaps, the focus of games like Stellaris can be on the conflict between these quite different beings and ideals that they have, instead of endlessly modeling their internal issues to amazing levels of detail. For all those reasons in Stellaris I'm a fan of having the conflict be between the galactic empires instead of within.

What's there to get? Internal strife is a pretty common narrative feature of scifi fiction.

Is it shocking that people then look for that in their 4X that deliberately draws on those same sources of fiction for inspiration? No, no it is not.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Like it doesn't have to literally be the same thing as ck2.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking here, but there's a way to force factories to build a specific template. If they're building a mishmash or the old stuff then you probably need to switch it to the new template, unless that's somehow bugged for you.

That would work hopefully, can I switch to the ascended pops from synths? I'll give that a try tonight. Otherwise looks like I'm breaking out the assimilators.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

BrandorKP posted:

That would work hopefully, can I switch to the ascended pops from synths? I'll give that a try tonight. Otherwise looks like I'm breaking out the assimilators.

I haven't played an ascended synth empire yet just the regular robot machine empires. Hopefully someone that has done the synth ascention can chime in if there's more to it. I'm talking about the ability to click on the robot factory and specify which pop to assemble. Hopefully your ascended pop is in the list and then you can just specify that as the template for assembly. Has to be done on every planet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GunnerJ posted:

Like it doesn't have to literally be the same thing as ck2.

Yeah, this is the weirdest part. I don't think that anyone is asking for space CK2. However, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the best science fiction series ever made and the series is pretty much entirely about space battles and space politics.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Clarste posted:

I mean, literally the whole point of the Egalitarian ethic is that people don't always do what you want them to and you have to deal with it. That's why it's the opposite of Authoritarian.

It's still weird and annoying how eager pops are to move to places with an 80% habitability penalty, Egalitarian or no.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jabarto posted:

It's still weird and annoying how eager pops are to move to places with an 80% habitability penalty, Egalitarian or no.

If I can move to Mars and someone else is paying for the sealed airtight dome and shipping all the food in, I'm gonna do it. You can't stop me.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
How do I opt into the beta branch?

Steam says 2.2.0 Le Guin version, 2.2.1 Le Guin version, and stellaris_test - testing and crossplay branch. Is 2.2.1 the current beta version?

If you play on the beta versions, are you constantly starting new games as new beta versions come out? It takes me a long time to get through a game, but I guess even that is preferable to not wanting to play at all due to the stuttering.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I doubt they'll release any beta versions over Christmas, you're probably good for the next ten days or so.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

RagnarokZ posted:

It's good fun when the Khan wakes on the other side of the galaxy, almost no chance they'll ever reach you, plenty of chaos for you to enjoy.

Watch yer wormhole, bud

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

RVT posted:

How do I opt into the beta branch?

Steam says 2.2.0 Le Guin version, 2.2.1 Le Guin version, and stellaris_test - testing and crossplay branch. Is 2.2.1 the current beta version?

If you play on the beta versions, are you constantly starting new games as new beta versions come out? It takes me a long time to get through a game, but I guess even that is preferable to not wanting to play at all due to the stuttering.

New beta versions don't invalidate old saves, though some changes may only take effect on a new game. I've been beta subscribed almost since the start and it hasn't made me abandon any games in progress yet.

And pick stellaris_test to join the beta.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I cant loving believe this - having Robots still fucks Authoritarian factions by saying your society is not stratified.

and the Artisan Troupe's Ministry of Culture building is hosed too. Goddamn.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 23, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, this is the weirdest part. I don't think that anyone is asking for space CK2. However, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is the best science fiction series ever made and the series is pretty much entirely about space battles and space politics.

I was curious what you were talking about, and it's some anime from the 80s. Sorry, but by default it can't be the best scifi series ever made.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sloober posted:

Gotta have a downside to massive immigration spitting 10-15 growth per month with not really a lot of effort

I mean, true. but also, it's INSANELY annoying.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant loving believe this - having Robots still fucks Authoritarian factions by saying your society is not stratified.

and the Artisan Troupe's Ministry of Culture building is hosed too. Goddamn.

look this is probably the easiest fuckin thing to get rid of, so calm down:

1) Open up slave market.
2) Buy slave. CAN BE ANY ONE OF THEM.
3) Send to whatever planet you want.
4) Edit slave pop's rights to population controls and migration controls enabled.
5) Pretend you don't have any slaves if you don't want them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Preston Waters posted:

look this is probably the easiest fuckin thing to get rid of, so calm down:

1) Open up slave market.
2) Buy slave. CAN BE ANY ONE OF THEM.
3) Send to whatever planet you want.
4) Edit slave pop's rights to population controls and migration controls enabled.
5) Pretend you don't have any slaves if you don't want them.
Well that was easy, thank you. I'm a little bent up because I dont get to play much and every single one of my runs that seems to be going decently ends up getting derailed by some bug, so I'm glad that this time will be different.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Game's got a few bugs. Ain't no biggie; they'll get it right.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Robots aren't real people. There's no real stratification going on.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

binge crotching posted:

I was curious what you were talking about, and it's some anime from the 80s. Sorry, but by default it can't be the best scifi series ever made.

It actually isn't. It's a series of novels from the 80s which happens to have an excellent anime adaptation.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, this is the weirdest part. I don't think that anyone is asking for space CK2.

Well, that would be awesome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

binge crotching posted:

It's an adaptation of some literature PhD's 10 book fanfiction about politics in and the militaries of the Space US and Space Prussia during a period where they have been at war for 100 years. The series is pretty focused on depicting the benefits and and failings of democratic and authoritarian societies.

Fun fact: a few of the stars in Stellaris are actually named after locations in LoGH.