Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Good: 1.5 allows you to set Destroyer and Carrier weapons to just fire on enemies without needing to be shot at first

Bad: Stations have a lot of "criminal ships" and your gunners care not about collateral damage

Ugly: Dying on the dock of your own station to your own ship docked there never giving up hope of hitting the target through the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
I lost an Eclipse, so the success chance is serious and you can fail ventures. Still, my main concern is that Paranid capital ships look like props from Flash Gordon.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mehrunes posted:

Still, my main concern is that Paranid capital ships look like props from Flash Gordon.

Agreed they are awesome.

Also where do I get a venture dock, I tried attaching one to my existing station but apparently I don't have one to build?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xanif posted:

Debatable for small and medium hulls, objectively true for destroyers. I have no idea what they were thinking making the PAR destroyer so much more powerful than any of the others. You trade off 5 turret slots and a medium landing pad for an additional shield generator? gently caress off egosoft.

They also have the nemesis which has 5 forward facing M weapons and goes at like 400m/s.

Paranid are extremely good and not just in looks.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Agreed they are awesome.

Also where do I get a venture dock, I tried attaching one to my existing station but apparently I don't have one to build?

I think you need to register an egosoft account and link it, it's in the main menu under "online features" or something, that should give you the blueprint.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

They also have the nemesis which has 5 forward facing M weapons and goes at like 400m/s.

Paranid are extremely good and not just in looks.

+1 for the nemesis. its fucktastic. load it full of space shotguns and fly around melting xenon for spacelove from the factions. if your trading empire has not already gotten you up to 10, you done failson.
eggbreaker fleet to the rescue.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I've noticed a problem with how the game handles L class fighter ships that are assigned to stations. Regular M and S class fighters protect the station and traders/miners assigned to it but L class ships instead get an order to patrol the sector the station is in. This causes them to attack all ships in that sector that are hostile to the owner of the sector despite you being friends with them. So for example a PAR ships enters HOP space, I have 30 relationship with both but all my ships just beeline for that PAR ship and blow it apart causing me to lose relationship.

I also noticed that a trading agreement by itself is not enough to be able to teleport to AI stations, you also need high relationship, I don't know what the limit is but I can teleport to stations where I have 29 rep but not 26.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

Snape -attack all ships in that sector that are hostile to the owner of the sector-

Does this apply to station turrets as well? because lol.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

staberind posted:

Does this apply to station turrets as well? because lol.

I don't have turrets on my stations but defense drones do not attack ships you are friendly with. I think it's simply a bug in how the "patrol" behavior functions.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

I don't have turrets on my stations but defense drones do not attack ships you are friendly with. I think it's simply a bug in how the "patrol" behavior functions.

Actually, I don't have turrets either, I really need to set some up, but I was worried they might kill my customers Before they have bought drugs from me.

Also, finally got the admin Blueprint to drop.

staberind fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 22, 2018

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I’m trying to upgrade my hull parts factory and the upgrade requires hull parts. Is there a more efficient way of filling up the build storage with items I produce than right click transfer wares ad infinitum?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What's the reason behind subjugated trade ships just sitting around your stations full of medical supplies instead of trading your wares?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, how does one reliably distribute one’s own manufactured goods?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Should I invest time and money into the freebee PHQ you get from spacefishguy? Or should I save my money and start fresh in an unclaimed system?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does nothing so I would ignore it once you get the research unlocked.

Otto Xander
Dec 5, 2013
Are there any downsides to attacking the visiting venture ships, or can I consider them loot pinatas?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I understand they are not faction aligned so presumably not?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The venture visitors are considered local civilians afaik. Local authorities will come to their aid. This one time, I was able to capture one super quick because it didn't have weapons on it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Should I invest time and money into the freebee PHQ you get from spacefishguy? Or should I save my money and start fresh in an unclaimed system?

Supposedly the giant asteroid in the middle fucks with pathfinding for AI ships. I wouldn't bother with it, it's also in a bad location far from any lanes.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I'm pretty pretty sure you can't make money off the station trading anything (yet). I mean in theory it's supposed to, but mine has never turned a profit if you factor in building costs. It's constantly needing cash injections.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Morphix posted:

I'm pretty pretty sure you can't make money off the station trading anything (yet). I mean in theory it's supposed to, but mine has never turned a profit if you factor in building costs. It's constantly needing cash injections.

How do you mean? My stations are pulling in mad cash, location is very important though. You want it to be as connected as possible, the best sector I've found so far is Holy Vision, the HOP capital sector.
I'm pulling in almost 30 million per hour, they just can't get enough Claytronics, see how fast the money is increasing:

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

TjyvTompa posted:

How do you mean? My stations are pulling in mad cash, location is very important though. You want it to be as connected as possible, the best sector I've found so far is Holy Vision, the HOP capital sector.
I'm pulling in almost 30 million per hour, they just can't get enough Claytronics, see how fast the money is increasing:

Too be honest I havn't played since 1.3 dropped, but I cheated my way into a station with the entire production chain, and it was constantly needing more money cheats. How that was happening I have no idea, since I produced everything and had like 20 medium ships and 5 or so XL mining/trading supplying it all. I was using the broken alien starting station.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've made a fair few million selling hull plates. And probably even more in the form of entirely reusable station part investments. You do not lose anything you invest into a station, because you can disassemble them and use the parts to build other stations at will, or sell them.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

There's no way to just sell a station to the sector's controlling faction outright, correct? My station list is cluttered with a bunch of defense stations I built for construction missions. I guess my best bet is just to disassemble them all and use the parts to construct the expansion of my actual producing factories?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm very surprised they don't gain ownership once you build them, historically that's how they've worked.

In which case yeah I guess take them apart and shuttle the parts over to another station.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Morphix posted:

Too be honest I havn't played since 1.3 dropped, but I cheated my way into a station with the entire production chain, and it was constantly needing more money cheats. How that was happening I have no idea, since I produced everything and had like 20 medium ships and 5 or so XL mining/trading supplying it all. I was using the broken alien starting station.

The alien station is unfortunately in a very bad location. You want something with many close connections where AI traders can easily "find" you as you will be relying on them to make money. Station assigned traders are 100% retarded and will spend their time selling 20 antimatter cells halfway round the galaxy while AI high-tech traders come and pick up 600 Claytronics like nothing. Make sure you have the large docks as only L ships buy the most expensive goods because they are so large. I can recommend Holy Vision and Second Contact II Flashpoint as good places for a megafactory.

I believe you can dismantle your station and move it but I would suggest just starting a new game. To gain money easily in the beginning:
Do data leak/satellite repair missions and buy 2 mineral miners. Set them to mine Nividium. Drop a satellite by the Teladi Trading Station in Ianamus Zura IV and get rich. Spamming Silicon and Ore miners is also a fast way.

The reason you would want an unmodded game is because you can then use the multiplayer Ventures feature.

Your first factory should produce Food Rations and Medical Supplies, the modules are cheap, they produce a lot and everyone needs it. As money starts rolling in you can upgrade the station to add more goods like Engine and Hull parts. Once you are really rich you can go to Claytronics, Field Coils and Smart Chips.

I would not bother with traders at all right now, they make absolutely no money in the long run.

Edit: Forgot most important and most grindy part: You need to drop a satellite by ever station in every sector for your miners to work properly, I would buy a small ship, fill it with satellites and queue up drop commands on the map, you still need to discover the stations first manually though. Buy the trading subscriptions as soon as you can, they are very good unless you enjoy travelling around and looking for stations yourself.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 23, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Specifically humans need food rations. Paranids need Soja Husk and Teladi need Nostrop Oil and these are constantly consumed by any station with a habitat. You may also want to consider building a habitat on your medical supply/food production station appropriate to the species of the food you're producing, because that will give you a flat boost to production efficiency and you're producing what you need to run it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

OwlFancier posted:

Specifically humans need food rations. Paranids need Soja Husk and Teladi need Nostrop Oil and these are constantly consumed by any station with a habitat. You may also want to consider building a habitat on your medical supply/food production station appropriate to the species of the food you're producing, because that will give you a flat boost to production efficiency and you're producing what you need to run it.

Oh yeah forgot about habitats. Unfortunately the habitats on my first station bugged out and the storage for Nostrop Oil straight up disappeared one day which meant all my workers disappeared and now I can't get any new ones. My other stations work though.

Edit again: Don't forget about this page, super good for making stations: http://www.x4-game.com/#/station-calculator
You can save loadouts locally or share them, like so:
http://www.x4-game.com/#/station-ca...ells_01,count:3

I really wish I could find the last SETA part as this station is about halfway done after 18 real life hours.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
I finally got this and despite the jank (but hey, I played X3), I really like it. The moment that sold me was when I had just finished doing a station scan mission and decided to land to trade and suddenly as I landed the station started shooting at something, a ton people started rushing to ships and taking off, meanwhile I was just going down my ship's ladder going "wtf is going on". :allears:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Bad idea to build one huge fuckoff factory station?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Asproigerosis posted:

No, it's preferred since your traders are so bad. You want one big station where the AI can come and pick everything up.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Not necessarily. If you have a good location, like say near a highway, with access to all the gases and mining you need then it might actually be a good idea. Just make sure you have enough docking locations. With more than two end products even a three large dock pier might get backlogged.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Keep in mind that the logistical overview will break if your station has more than 100 manufacturing modules.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Polikarpov posted:

Keep in mind that the logistical overview will break if your station has more than 100 manufacturing modules.

Not any more, they fixed that bug.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So I'm having a weird issue. Of the two ships below, the first seems to be perfectly normal. But whenever I'm in the second it just seems like the sensors... don't work. It won't reveal stations on the map and can't target anything that isn't super close by. If I plop a satellite, then it can see whatever is in the area, but that's about it. Here's the ships via the upgrade interface...

Any idea what is going on? They both show a 40km radar range, they have same software as far as I can tell, and they are both fully repaired. The second ship (the misbehaving one) is somebody's venture ship that I captured, is there a bug with that maybe? At a loss here.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Captured ships have had some weird bugs in the previous patches, it's very likely this is a new one. Especially with ventures being a brand new thing

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Is there a way to set up an auto trader without manually adding all of the wares to the list in the behavior menu? Ah, that egosoft interface never fails.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Happy Underpants posted:

Is there a way to set up an auto trader without manually adding all of the wares to the list in the behavior menu? Ah, that egosoft interface never fails.

If you highlight the box with the arrow keys and mash enter it should add them all pretty quickly.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007

Polikarpov posted:

If you highlight the box with the arrow keys and mash enter it should add them all pretty quickly.

This works but doing this for every trader is stupid. I wish you could build an office that would recruit, outfit and deploy a set number of traders. I also wish this game had the control click functionality of openttd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
There is an extension that does good autotrade, but its pretty cheaty since it gives the traders the ability to jump like you are playing x3 again.

edit : looks like enough people complained about it and he made the jumping optional.

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/92